japanese earthquake and tsunami

az

toddmoding
is a Community Contributoris an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
More on the troubled nuclear plant: Japan's trade minister, Banri Kaieda, says authorities are nearing a decision to release radioactive steam from the Fukushima nuclear reactor in a bid to ease a build-up of pressure, AFP reports. Thousands of local residents have been evacuated.
mexico is also affected directly by the tsunami, and i know we have users with ties to mexico

1908: A magnitude 6.6 quake has now struck in central Japan, AP news agency reports, causing Tokyo buildings to sway. It is not clear if this is connected to the earlier quake and aftershocks. More on this as we get it.
Yeah. So much for "up to 6 on Richter".

az

toddmoding
is a Community Contributoris an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
yeah, just saw that exarius

i don't know how you'd even begin going about dealing with something like this. how can people approach rebuilding when quakes of this magnitude continue to occur?

Luckily this earthquake and New Zealand's recent earthquake are probably not connected as they are on different tectonic plates, so it's unlikely that it will become a trend.

Also, luckily for Japan, they have been very well prepared for large earthquakes and probably saved hundreds if not thousands of people by building earthquake-resistant buildings, obviously unlike Haiti last year.

A sign of things to come more frequently; a terrible disaster ..

I just really hope Mt. Fuji doesnt decide to erupt again, like the last time this happened (on a lower scale)

My thoughts go out to everyone affected in the region :[, Masuda san too, he just got to japan on wednesday, he shoulda stayed in new york with sugimori for a few more days!

yeah, just saw that exarius

i don't know how you'd even begin going about dealing with something like this. how can people approach rebuilding when quakes of this magnitude continue to occur?
You simply won't. The rebuilding won't start until this whole mess has stopped; I wouldn't be surprised if it's pushed back into April. And it will take years to rebuild and return to normal, not mentioning the psychological scars this will leave.

Also apparently, that 6.6 quake is a separate one, not connected to the 8.9 one. I wonder how many will still come?

The earthquake - which is 1.9 higher on the richter scale than the Haiti earthquake over a year ago - brought ultra-modern tokyo to a standstill, and the tsunamis hit in Hawaii as well with 7 foot waves, sparking tsunami warnings all along the Pacific coastline.

Aftershocks from the quake included one that measured 7.1 on the Richter scale - that makes not only the initial quake but one of the aftershocks as well even more powerful than the Haiti earthquake from last January.

The last time an earthquake of 8.5 magnitude or higher struck Japan (an 8.6 in 1707), around 5,000 people died, 33-foot (10-meter) tsunami waves were generated, and 49 days later, Mt. Fuji erupted - an eruption believed to have been triggered by the quake.

According to the PTWC (Pacific Tsunami Warning Center), Hawaii still has a Tsunami warning, although CNN claims that citizens and medical services are moving back to the coastal areas, and there are still fears of tsunamis all the way from Alaska in the north to Chile in the south (which had an earthquake and official tsunami warning only a few days ago).

According to the Los Angeles Times, the Japanese media claimed that those known or presumed to be dead exceeded 1,000, and there could be more on the way.

My heart goes out to those who lost loved ones or homes in the earthquake/tsunami.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
It's 4 in the morning and I just got woken up by village's emergency report system, so I don't feel like responding on the subject yet right now--

--I just thought I'd post and mention I'm alive and well (so far), and in one of the less affected areas. Japan/Korean Sea side of Kanto-- we're getting 4-5 measurements here. Thank you all for your thoughts/concerns.

az

toddmoding
good to hear you're well ct, i hope no-one close to you is too directly affected

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yeah, I've going back and forth doing the "are you ok" calls with friends/family all over Japan and in Hawaii. So far, all my relatives and friends are reporting back ok, though I do have family and relatives in Chiba/Tokyo.

That's a horrible event. Hope that the outhorities and everyone there can do the most they can to minimize the impacts, human and material. For the time being...Best of luck to everyone affected by this terrible disaster.

I have friends in Japan... so hearing this is just terrifying. Equally horrifying are pictures of the damage done. Here's hoping things turn up over there. :c

Japan had a really shitty day. Tsunamis, Earthquakes, Nuclear Plant problems. Reminds me of Haiti in 2010 when it got that earthquake.

God fucking damn...

Besides the horrible devastation this is also going to strike a serious blow to the world economy, not to mention the after-effects that are yet to come on a global scale. This is just terrible on so many levels.

Glad to hear Chou's ok.

Bologo

Have fun with birds and bees.
is a Contributor Alumnus
My brother lives in Japan, so regardless of everything that's happened, I'm honestly just glad that he's ok...this earthquake really sucks.

Incidents like this are terrible... I remember losing a cousin to the Thailand tsunami in '04. Lucky no casualties I know of now. My condolences for everyone affected at this difficult time. Hopefully help will come quick and Japan can sort it out, initially my reaction was "well at least it was an MEDC" but that potential nuclear disaster sounds terrible... Hopefully this will further research into earthquake predictions to help negate future losses.

God, I heard about this this morning from my Japanese teacher, who told us she can't even contact her family (hopefully only because of the mass amount of calls flooding networks). This is freaking scary, I can't even imagine what it'd be like. Fortunately, like others have said, Japan is a modern country and well-prepared for this sort of this thing. If it had hit somewhere like Haiti again or Bangladesh the death toll would have been enormous (and growing rapidly). Doesn't really make one feel better but still...

The nuclear reactors are my biggest fear. If something were to go horribly wrong, the consequences could be bigger than Chernobyl.

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
God, I heard about this this morning from my Japanese teacher, who told us she can't even contact her family (hopefully only because of the mass amount of calls flooding networks). This is freaking scary, I can't even imagine what it'd be like. Fortunately, like others have said, Japan is a modern country and well-prepared for this sort of this thing. If it had hit somewhere like Haiti again or Bangladesh the death toll would have been enormous (and growing rapidly). Doesn't really make one feel better but still...
Can't quite come up with words right now, so...

"^This".

I hope my cousin's girlfriend's family is okay down in Japan, and I'm saying this for the rest of the people in the eastern-most Japanese areas as well.

In other news...
  • lots of ridiculous racist and religious comments regarding the disasters on YouTube. But it's Youtube, so...
  • The videos of the Earthquake are terrifying.
  • So Chou is okay! That's good. You're valued, Chou.
  • I have yet to hear about the other districts
  • I REALLY, sincerly hope that Jaroda, who also is in Japan, is okay and responds to me. Please hope for the best for Jaroda.
  • and Chihara Minori survived. What a miracle.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
Jaroda lives in Kansai area, so he's even farther from the epicenter than I am. Of course that doesn't guarantee anything, but the wider Kansai area seems to be a pretty safe zone looking at the news. Also I believe the place he lives is not a port city.

Danmire

its okay.
is an Artist Alumnus
Yeah, glad Chou is okay.
I hope Jaroda is okay too.

8.9 is fucking massive.
What was the magnitude for the one in Haiti?

From my understanding, they've started to leak a bit of the radioactive steam to reduce the pressure a bit. However, apparently, a second power plant has begun to overheat. Japan's in a very bad spot right now.

My best wishes for them to pull through and my heart to the families that were involved.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)