Item: rechargable battery
Ability: Lightningrod
Nature: (+Atk)(-Def/SpDef)
Moves:
Me First
Pursuit
Wild Bolt
Overheat

I there is a pokemon who is faster than you, me first it, but only if that move does actually damaga to them. the best would be to switch in on a lightning attack, to get that +1/+1 Atk and SpAtk.

alphatron

Volt turn in every tier! I'm in despair!
Me first fails if the enemy pokemon is faster than you. Additionally, rechargable battery will not activate through type immunity, so lightning rod + battery = no.

Instead of going mixed, you could always go full physical with herbivore and rechargable battery.

Completely outclassed is my opinion. Electivire does the mixed thing better (LOL ELECTIVIRE), Magnetric and Jolteon do the special attacking thing better (Magnetric especially because of Lightningrod), and again Electivire does the physical thing better.

Heck, even Evo Stone Electabuzz outperforms this.

EDIT: Oh yeah, forgot about Herbivore. Well, I suppose it can have a niche in teams needing a grass resist that badly.

In my opinion, Zebstrika's best niche is Sap Sipper + Overheat because no one else can run this. It's a perfect check against Serperior, Ferrothorn and Breloom, and even Whimsicott, being able to switch into their Nasty Storms, Power Whips, (Stun) Spores and others. I've been running this set with acceptable success:

Item: Life orb / Expert belt
Ability: Sap Sipper
Nature: Naive (+Spe, -SpD)
EVs: 72 Att / 188 SpA / 248 Spe
- Wild Charge
- Overheat
- Hidden Power Ice
- Double Kick

Odd distribution of EVs, but are given mainly to ensure a OHKO on a 252/252+ Ferrothorn with Life Orb and Overheat and to outspeed max speed Starmie. Remaining EVs in attack. With Expert Belt you have to invest more on SpA reducing your attack EVs. HP Ice is for incoming Garchomps, Salamences, Gliscors who expect an Overheat/Electric move. I'm running this set at the moment, but I'm never sure about the last move... With one Sap Sipper boost, Double Kick OHKOs Tyranitar and its also a 2HKO against incoming Hydreigons and Heatrans that expect Overheat. I've tried Me First, but I think it's a bit situational. Thunder Wave is another option but you're walled by the same ground-type foes that switch in expecting a Wild Charge. Pursuit is not a bad option, but without STAB and no max attack there are other better users for that move.

Zebs takes hits like a wet, rotten piece of paper, but thanks to that speed, unpredictability, coverage, and the possible attack boost thanks to Sap Sipper I've been able to get tons of WTF moments.

Usually grass types wall electric types. And now we have zebras flipping the table on conformity. I don't see this being a big OU player, but when UU comes out it could be pretty good.

Yay, my first post on the site~

Doing a bit of reading on the topic, I notice that Flame Charge tends to be discouraged due to Zebstrika's already lofty speed stat, along with its relation to Return and Overheat. Doing a bit of cursory research, I've seen that Zebstrika is listed as the 20th highest speed in the game. This normally isn't that much of a problem, but among them are Ninjask, Dugtrio, and Aeurodactyl, all Pokemon that could give Zebstrika a hard time, not to mention fellow electric-type Jolteon.

If Flame Charge isn't an option, then HP Fire might also be considered a possibility if one doesn't want the pesky RNG deciding that the one-in-ten chance of missing is at the worst possible time to miss. If I may suggest a sample set to illustrate my point?

Zebstrika @ Life Orb
Ability: Motor Drive
Nature: Naive ( + Spe, - SpD)
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 SpA
- Spark
- Flame Charge
- Thunder Wave
- Return/Rock Smash

This set, I feel, makes sure that no Pokemon can outspeed Zebstrika, and by extension, anything else you have. Striking with a very speedy Thunder Wave cripples the opponent, allowing either a clean sweep or a quick change. Flame Charge and Spark are the main offensive operators, leaving a choice of Return or Rock Smash. Rock Smash, admittedly, is rather weak, but its penchant for lowering the defense of opposing Pokemon makes Zebstrika's already decent attack into something truly fierce. The reason Flame Charge is in this set is, after one use, allows it to outclass speedsters before they show up (Which means Aerodactyl is still a huge problem, especially since Aerodactyl is, assuming I am correct, a common lead).

I'm pretty sure I may have screwed up somewhere in my suggestions, so feel free to correct me, I'm still learning. Happy to be part of the site!

In my opinion, Zebstrika's best niche is Sap Sipper + Overheat because no one else can run this. It's a perfect check against Serperior, Ferrothorn and Breloom, and even Whimsicott, being able to switch into their Nasty Storms, Power Whips, (Stun) Spores and others. I've been running this set with acceptable success:

Item: Life orb / Expert belt
Ability: Sap Sipper
Nature: Naive (+Spe, -SpD)
EVs: 72 Att / 188 SpA / 248 Spe
- Wild Charge
- Overheat
- Hidden Power Ice
- Double Kick

Odd distribution of EVs, but are given mainly to ensure a OHKO on a 252/252+ Ferrothorn with Life Orb and Overheat and to outspeed max speed Starmie. Remaining EVs in attack. With Expert Belt you have to invest more on SpA reducing your attack EVs. HP Ice is for incoming Garchomps, Salamences, Gliscors who expect an Overheat/Electric move. I'm running this set at the moment, but I'm never sure about the last move... With one Sap Sipper boost, Double Kick OHKOs Tyranitar and its also a 2HKO against incoming Hydreigons and Heatrans that expect Overheat. I've tried Me First, but I think it's a bit situational. Thunder Wave is another option but you're walled by the same ground-type foes that switch in expecting a Wild Charge. Pursuit is not a bad option, but without STAB and no max attack there are other better users for that move.

Zebs takes hits like a wet, rotten piece of paper, but thanks to that speed, unpredictability, coverage, and the possible attack boost thanks to Sap Sipper I've been able to get tons of WTF moments.

Probably his best set I have seen on this thread... Look Zeb is cool and all, but there are other electric types that do his job better. Jolteon @ balloon is WAY better for scouting/special attacking with his vastly superior speed and access to volt change. Electivire @ expert belt/lifeorb/balloon is better than zeb as well... Sure he slightly outspeed evire without a motordrive boost, but he is just not that threatening...

If i had to make a change to the set i would get rid of double kick for pursuit, b/c with his good speed, zeb can revenge ghosts / psychics... things that jolteon and evire cant do...

I can see that this thing has a good niche as a fast mixed attacker and revenge killer- he's faster than Starmie and with an equivalent primary attacking stat (and a higher secondary one), so his stats aren't as bad as the might look. He also gets pretty good coverage (though going mixed definitely helps that).

Its a shame he has such a shallow movepool because he's in a GREAT speed tier, but I mean, having to resort to double kick for coverage..?

Hopefully he'll pick up some nice move tutors in the future.

Used this guy all the way through black and don't regret it at all. I just wish that he had some better moves.

Don't think it's been said but Sap Sipper could get some use in double and triple battle, although Bouffalant would probably be a better Pokemon for the job.

Battle between Hnn and Kirloe started!

Tier: Gen5 OverUsed
Rule: Unrated

Kirloe sent out Azelf!
Hnn sent out Claydol!

Start of turn 1
The foe's Azelf used Taunt!
Claydol fell for the taunt!
Claydol used its Mental Herb to come back to his senses!

Claydol used Stealth Rock!
Pointed stones float in the air around Kirloe's team!

Start of turn 2
The foe's Azelf used Stealth Rock!
Pointed stones float in the air around Hnn's team!

Claydol used Toxic!
The foe's Azelf was poisoned!

The foe's Azelf is hurt by poison!

Start of turn 3
Kirloe called Azelf back!
Kirloe sent out Breloom!
Pointed stones dug into the foe's Breloom!

Claydol used Rapid Spin!
The foe's Breloom lost 4% of its health!
Claydol blew away Stealth Rock!

The foe's Breloom's Toxic Orb activated!
The foe's Breloom was poisoned!

Start of turn 4
Hnn called Claydol back!
Hnn sent out Zebstrika!

The foe's Breloom used Spore!
Zebstrika's Sap Sipper raised its attack!

The foe's Breloom restored HP using its Poison Heal!

Start of turn 5
Kirloe called Breloom back!
Kirloe sent out Garchomp!
Pointed stones dug into the foe's Garchomp!

Zebstrika used Hidden Power!
It's super effective!
The foe's Garchomp lost 93% of its health!
The foe's Garchomp fainted!
Zebstrika is hurt by its Life Orb!

Kirloe sent out Tyranitar!
Pointed stones dug into the foe's Tyranitar!

The foe's Tyranitar's Sand Stream whipped up a sandstorm!

Start of turn 6
Zebstrika used Double Kick!
It's super effective!
The foe's Tyranitar lost 47% of its health!
The foe's Tyranitar lost 40% of its health!
The foe's Tyranitar fainted!
Hit 2 times!

The sandstorm rages!
Zebstrika is buffeted by the sandstorm!
Kirloe sent out Ferrothorn!
Pointed stones dug into the foe's Ferrothorn!

Start of turn 7
The foe's Ferrothorn used Protect!
The foe's Ferrothorn protected itself!

Zebstrika used Overheat!

The sandstorm rages!
The foe's Ferrothorn restored a little HP using its Leftovers!

Start of turn 8
Kirloe called Ferrothorn back!
Kirloe sent out Azelf!
Pointed stones dug into the foe's Azelf!

Zebstrika used Wild Charge!
The foe's Azelf lost 81% of its health!
The foe's Azelf fainted!
Zebstrika is hit with recoil!

The sandstorm rages!

Start of turn 9

Zebstrika used Overheat!

The sandstorm rages!

Start of turn 10
Kirloe called Ferrothorn back!
Kirloe sent out Jellicent!
Pointed stones dug into the foe's Jellicent!

Zebstrika used Wild Charge!
It's super effective!
The foe's Jellicent lost 87% of its health!
The foe's Jellicent fainted!
Zebstrika is hit with recoil!
Zebstrika fainted!

The sandstorm rages!
Kirloe sent out Breloom!
Pointed stones dug into the foe's Breloom!

Hnn sent out Infernape!

Start of turn 11
Infernape used Flare Blitz!
It's super effective!
The foe's Breloom lost 93% of its health!
The foe's Breloom fainted!
Infernape is hit with recoil!
Infernape is hurt by its Life Orb!

The sandstorm rages!
Infernape is buffeted by the sandstorm!

Start of turn 12

The sandstorm rages!
Infernape is buffeted by the sandstorm!

Start of turn 13
It's super effective!
The foe's Ferrothorn lost 100% of its health!
The foe's Ferrothorn fainted!
Infernape is hit with recoil!
The foe's Ferrothorn's Iron Barbs hurts Infernape
Infernape fainted!
Infernape is hurt by its Life Orb!

Hnn won the battle!
Hnn: Good game, thanks!
Kirloe: GG

Yeah, a wall of text and a poor battle, but I had to show it.

A shame not to toast anything.

Your right, that's not a great battle. But see Zebstrika actually (almost) sweep a team makes that one of the most awesome battles I've seen.

Where did you do that battle? I'm 99.99% certain that Zebstrika's dream world ability is still unreleased and that says it's Gen5 OU, so what's going on there?

Your right, that's not a great battle. But see Zebstrika actually (almost) sweep a team makes that one of the most awesome battles I've seen.

Where did you do that battle? I'm 99.99% certain that Zebstrika's dream world ability is still unreleased and that says it's Gen5 OU, so what's going on there?
Yes, it's not released yet. I don't remember which server was I playing in, but all Dream World stuff is allowed in that tier; of course was not Smogon's. But now that you say it, I don't know why the tier's name doesn't say anything about DW.

does anyone know if herbivoire gets activated by leechseed and/or makes you immune to it? this would make it much more viable.
the only move that does not activate sap pipper is arometherapy, according to bulbapedia. it does not work the way you think with bullet seed and apparently synthesis activates it.

...huh, can someone test that?

the only move that does not activate sap pipper is arometherapy, according to bulbapedia. it does not work the way you think with bullet seed and apparently synthesis activates it.

...huh, can someone test that?
That doesn't mean that it will get a boost from an opponent using Aromatherapy. It means that it can be healed by a teammate using Aromatherapy. It might seem silly, but it would have precedence if that was the case. Before Gen V, Heal Bell didn't work on anyone with the ability Soundproof. No opponent move that only effects the opponent will activate Sap Sipper (eg. Cotton Guard, Ingrain, etc. will not activate it).

Imo opinion the best set for Zebstrika is this

Zebstrika @ Life Orb
Ability: Sap Sipper / Motor Drive
EVs: 4 Hp / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Nature: Naive
- Wild Charge
- Double Edge / Return / Thunder Wave
- Overheat
- Hidden Power [Ice] / Thunder Wave

Wild Charge is pretty obvious move being STAB and hitting very hard especially after a Sap Sipper boost. Double Edge is the second move on this set to deal very large damage to nearly anything that resists his main attack, Double Edge can be switch out for Return if you don't like the recoil or even be changed to Thunder Wave for a last ditch move or to Cripple any Sweepers which is pretty easy to pull of with Zebstrika's amazing speed. Overheat is on this set to take down any steels, Grass or Ice types that may resist Zebstrika's STAB or just hit them for large damage. The last slot is to take out the dragon types that resist Wild Charge and Overheat or you could use Thunder Wave in the last slot if you Choose to use Double Edge or Return instead of Hidden Power [Ice].

Zebstrika would do great in RU. Pair it up with quag to lure out lilligant, and let the games begin! Overheat for that rare grass, double kick can take rock, steel, ice, and normal mons, and wild charge is a monster after sap sipper.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)