Pokémon Black/White in-game discussion

Still struggling with the icy prick. I either get great defenses and crap special attack, or great special attack and crappy defenses. This is where refusing to rng or hack really bites me in the ass, but i'm determined. I will see you in hell Kyurem.

Well, I was dumb about my Virizion question and went to the wrong area. Silly me. Now I have a nice Jolly one!

Anyway, this game is so good I'm tempted to go out and buy White version to have one I can replay. Ingame hasn't been that good since GSC (and I'm a huge RSE fan saying this too). The story is WAY better than DPPt, and certainly better than RSE, if not besting RBY/GSC's classic Rocket story.

Snivy is actually a great starter imo. Fast, access to Coil, never gets OHKO'd. Coil and Leaf Blade is just awesome, hell I solo'ed the 8th gym, which resists it, using that combo. Serperior barely took anything from that.

With that said, my MVP had to be either Darmantian or Scrafty. Darmantian is a BEAST with Fire Punch. He dominates the 3rd gym right off the bat and has sick nasty attack and speed. Scrafty can be annoying to train, but oh man did he pay off during the E4. He took out 3/4 of them, easily, while Darmantian, Serperior or Excadrill handled anything else and I left the fighting guy to Sigilyph. The amount of great pokemon in this game is amazing.

The gyms were all pretty easy EXCEPT for the 4th. Volt Switch, ugh. Had to sacrifice Sawk to use Counter on it; thankfully half my team had Rock Tomb at that point. Serperior rocked Zebstrika as well.

My ONLY complaint would have to be that WiFi no longer has the level 100 feature. My AR being busted as of today doesn't help...thankfully I had like 700 rare candies on Diamond. That and the new exp system makes grinding to 100 not seem so bad. If anyone has a solution to this please let me know!

Strongly recommend playing the story of either Black and White; take a break from PO and try it if you haven't.

I just reached Chargestone cave in my game. My ingame team looks like this. Dewott, Conkeldurr, Petilil, and Joltick. Any Suggestions? I'm also concerned about not being able to re-battle trainers in the game, and I got White, so I cant just go to black city, and train there. I also cant find a sunstone for my petilil... and if there's only 2 ingame as it says on serebii, And I want to make more than 1 competetive wifi Whimsicott, what do I do!!!

Not really. If he replaces Sawk with Scraggy, he'll have problems with Herdier and Sawsbuck. Sawk easily outspeeds and takes those two out with Brick Break, while Scraggy takes huge damage from Take Down/ Jump Kick. Also, if he replaces Sandile for Drilbur, he'll have issues with Sigilyph, as nothing on his team can do enough damage to it, while Sandile has Crunch.

I'd advise against doing these changes. Yes, Synch works on swirling dust. Also, try non C-gear seeds when RNGing, which is much easier.
Excadrill says "lol rock slide bye bye weird bird-thing". Not to mention he still resists it, granted it's not immunity, but he also isn't going to get smashed by flying attacks from Sigilyph like Scraggy would.

But I dunno, why not have both Scraggy and Excadrill/Krookodile? Might have double fighting weakness, but plenty of options to get around that, I mean I torched the E4 fighting member with Bulk Up Sawk personally, but yeah...anything's doable, not like they're hard or anything.

Just finished the Celestial Tower, and now I'm grinding a bit before going to the sixth gym to battle Skyla because it feels like my team should be a bit higher by this point.
As follows:

Pignite LV33 @ Scope Lens: Grass Knot/Work Up/Rock Smash/Flame Charge
When he first evolved, he was an absolute beast, but I'm finding that the rest of the team are easily catching up to him in power. Once he turns into an Emboar, I'm feeling like the game will take a turn for the easy mode for a bit, but hopefully not.

Scraggy LV33 @ Eviolite: High Jump Kick/Payback/Chip Away/Swagger
Scraggy tanks hits like no one's business with Eviolite. When I first saw him when all the Pokemon were getting revealed last year, I hated his design, but after some time, he's really grown on me. Once he turns into Scrafty, I'm expecting more of the same.

Whimsicott LV33 @ Big Root: Growth/Leech Seed/Stun Spore/Giga Drain
Caught a Cottonee in Pinwheel Forest to breed for a competitive Whimsicott post-E4, found that it had Prankster and was Timid, and essentially the same moveset it has now. He can stall real easy, and I find that is a really handy thing to have in this game.

Excadrill LV33 @ Shell Bell: Bulldoze/Rock Slide/X-Scissor/Shadow Claw
Newest addition to my team, but I had always planned on catching him. Got him as a LV13 Drillbur from Wellspring Cave as I got up to Chargestone, and he cleared through all the wild Pokemon in there. Tough guy.

Archen LV34 @ N/A: Acrobatics/Ancientpower/Shadow Claw/Bulldoze
Nothing to say about this little birdie that hasn't already been said. Crushes the competition with Acro.

Palpitoad LV34 @ N/A: Mud Shot/Supersonic/Uproar/Muddy Water
After I get Surf and evolve it into Seismitoad, she's gone because I REALLY want a Jellicent in game and I hate the look of this. Plus, stats are really not cutting it compared to the others.

I also had a Munna for a while, but having to fight for 20 levels only using Psybeam sucks HARD, so it's currently sitting in my PC.

I'm finding myself catching every Pokemon I see, which is really a first for me. I'm having the most fun and the best experience I've had since I played Red about 12/13 years ago, and I'm just absolutely loving this game.

Am I fitting in about right with the timeframe of the game, and does anyone notice any glaring weaknesses in my team that I should fill?

I'm grinding before Celestial Tower and I am about Level 32:
(Not putting items since I am grinding and switching Lucky Egg and Exp. Share between everybody.)

Dewott, Scald/Revenge/Grass Knot/Razor Shell
Awesome coverage, but struggles a bit against other Grass types. Great stuff, great stuff.

Litwick, Flame Burst/Will-o-wisp/Hex/Night Shade
Not so great, but once it evolves it will rock and roll. Flame Burst still does a bit, and Flame Body (got one with that) helps with Hex.

Deerling, Work Up/Take Down/Jump Kick/Faint Attack
A little frail, but it works well, but it is a shame it doesn't have a Grass STAB other than Energy Ball (which I skipped).

Munna, Psybeam/Charge Beam/Hypnosis/Moonlight
Slow, and not very powerful. Evolving at Level 39.

Scraggy, Hi Jump Kick/Payback/Brick Break/Headbutt
Very good with Moxie and Hi Jump Kick, hits very hard.

Excadrill, Bulldoze/Rock Slide/X-Scissor/Hone Claws
Awesome moves and coverage, best one on team right now.

Joltik, Charge Beam/Electroball/Electronet/Bug Bite
It is going to destroy the flying gym. I am rotating this around as necessary.

Box:

Darumaka: I prefer Litwick's looks to this, but I used it for a while and it tears sh_t up!
Sigilyph: Again, I aesthetically prefer Musharna to this. But I still think it is extremely powerful.
Whimsicott: Stalling is just slow and I don't have the patience for this. It is really fun to use but hard.
Herderier: Take Down just doesn't cut it, and Crunch is just too little, too late.

Screw you Battle Subway. Let's see how much you like my Garchomp, Azelf, and Weavile, all of whom are EV trained with good natures and IVs.
Don't annoy yourself too much :p
They might be great pokemon, but the battle subway has it's way with any team.

Easy Singles is fast and easy enough to farm BP from though. You'll plow through the 3 rounds for 16 BP total. :)

There are difficulties? I just keep going to the dark green one that's immediately to the top when you go down the stairs. I thought my problems stemmed from not using Pokemon with good natures or any sort of EV training (I don't do that in-game), but if I'm on the "hard" difficulty, that could explain it. Or I'm on the "easy" and I just suck.

I just reached Chargestone cave in my game. My ingame team looks like this. Dewott, Conkeldurr, Petilil, and Joltick. Any Suggestions? I'm also concerned about not being able to re-battle trainers in the game, and I got White, so I cant just go to black city, and train there. I also cant find a sunstone for my petilil... and if there's only 2 ingame as it says on serebii, And I want to make more than 1 competetive wifi Whimsicott, what do I do!!!
You have a pressing need for a Sigilyph that should be named after me.

As for your Sunstone issue, go ahead and evolve your Petilil and when you're ready for other sunstones just look for someone willing to trade. I'm sure more than a few people have an extra copy of the games and it would probably be easier to get another sunstone later when someone decides "Man, I hate Whimsicotts and everything about them. Even this handy stone that lets them evolve," well... It might not go EXACTLY like that, but you get the gist.

There are difficulties? I just keep going to the dark green one that's immediately to the top when you go down the stairs. I thought my problems stemmed from not using Pokemon with good natures or any sort of EV training (I don't do that in-game), but if I'm on the "hard" difficulty, that could explain it. Or I'm on the "easy" and I just suck.
Well, I've only played the normal one. I doubt you're playing that one, cause it only has Unova, and they only start to become fully evolved by the 3th (and final) round. Well I'm not sure.

• [*]Green Line - Single Battle - Simple 1 VS 1 Battles
    [*]Dark Green Line - Super Single Battle - Difficult 1 VS 1 Battles
    [*]Red Line - Double Battle - Simple 2 VS 2 Battles
    [*]Pink Line - Super Double Battle - Difficult 2 VS 2 Battles
    [*]Brown Line - Train to Anville Town
    [*]Orange Line -Multi Battles - Double Battles where you and a friend/NPC can battle through the subway
    [*]Yellow Line -Super Multi Battles - Double Battles where you and a friend/NPC can battle through the subway
    [*]Light Blue Line -WiFi Battles - Battle through the Subway with a friend over WiFi
*from Serebii.net

Screw you Battle Subway. Let's see how much you like my Garchomp, Azelf, and Weavile, all of whom are EV trained with good natures and IVs.
Switch azelf for tyranitar, make weavile lead with sash. Weavile can take care of many threats, and sanstorm will make garchomp invincible, especially with bright powder.

Man, I really should have farmed out power items before trying to breed. Been trying to breed for a nice Mienfoo the last few days, on and off. No power items or access to my IV bred pokemon on SS yet. Finally managed to get insanely lucky, churned out a nice 20/31/31/31/31/31 (HP Dragon lol) Naive regenerating Mienfoo after too many hours of pain. Nice result, but frustrating as all hell.

Man, I really should have farmed out power items before trying to breed. Been trying to breed for a nice Mienfoo the last few days, on and off. No power items or access to my IV bred pokemon on SS yet. Finally managed to get insanely lucky, churned out a nice 20/31/31/31/31/31 (HP Dragon lol) Naive regenerating Mienfoo after too many hours of pain. Nice result, but frustrating as all hell.
yeah i dont want to breed anything until i've transferred my perfect dittos over, when can you do that? not sure whether to use my masterball on victini or not. i really like it and i have a timid synchronizer but there's no point in using it unless i have 31 in speed. takes ages to catch with ultra balls (fucking catch rates). might just use it on getting adamant terakion, where speed ivs can be a bit more versatile (i want to run rock polish and you only need 176 evs in speed i think to outrun +1 base 130 pokes am i right?)

How am I supposed to get the elemental monkey after beating the first gym ?
You can get one of them in dream yard (you can get it before the gym). You can catch them all later in Pinweel Forest and Lostorn Forest, but they're kinda rare there.

How am I supposed to get the elemental monkey after beating the first gym ?
Well before you walk in the gym leader warns you to go to the dream yard because your starter is weak to his pokemon. In the Dream Yard a lady is standing around and she gives you one for free.

The rest are in shaking grass in Pinwheel forest I believe.

My favourite ingame Pokemon is Volcarona. It's a powerhouse with Quiver Dance and the only problem you might run into while using it against the E4 is running out of PP for Quiver Dance. Other than that, it can set up on any weaker offensive Pokemon then sweep 6-0, and even if you can't set up, 135 base SpA is going to leave something dead or maimed.

Unfortunately, Volcarona is only available post-E4 (I recommend that to be the first thing you do after the E4) and grinding Larvesta to level 59 is really tough... But I'm still probably going to do it when I get English Black (in June; can't play during school term) because Larvesta is the cutest!

My favourite ingame Pokemon is Volcarona. It's a powerhouse with Quiver Dance and the only problem you might run into while using it against the E4 is running out of PP for Quiver Dance. Other than that, it can set up on any weaker offensive Pokemon then sweep 6-0, and even if you can't set up, 135 base SpA is going to leave something dead or maimed.

Unfortunately, Volcarona is only available post-E4 (I recommend that to be the first thing you do after the E4) and grinding Larvesta to level 59 is really tough... But I'm still probably going to do it when I get English Black (in June; can't play during school term) because Larvesta is the cutest!
Actually it's possible to get a Larvesta Egg on the routes west of the starting town after you get surf.

lolnope
the first thing post-E4 I did was to hunt down Kyurem.

How are you guys going about EV training in the english versions? The berries to lower EV's are only able to be constantly replinished in the dream world at the moment right? Is there any way to to lower the EV's besides that?

I really love this game. The graphics have received a nice boost and I love it when the music tensions up as you reach the final of a gym battle. First gym wasn't too hard. Second gym was kinda a challenge. Third one is really easy if you use Darumaka. I don't know why everyone struggles on Elesa... I used Palpitoad and it kicked her ass. Uproar can hit quite hard. Ground gym is easy with Seismitoad and Servine. Up to flying now. I really want to have another team member. Any thoughts? I was planning to catch a Joltik, but I'm not sure yet. I want one that can rock the E4.

Team

Serverior, lvl 36: Leaf Blade, Leaf Tornado, Leech Seed, Mega Drain (I know, it's moves suck)
Seismitoad, lvl 36: Scald, Uproar, Muddy Water, Bulldoze
Darumaka, lvl 33: Flare Blitz, Fire Punch, Facade, Trash

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)