Ask a simple question, get a simple answer - VGC edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does doing the battle in 'Flat Battle' check the stats? I fear of hackers as well, so what are some things that are suspicious? (for example, I don't know entirely what moves with OHKO on certain pokes so wouldn't be sure to exactly call out someone).
If you have any doubt in your heart at all that the person you are fighting has a hacked team, then call out a hack check. Sure, the other person might be offended, but better be safe than sorry.

My question: I have two younger brothers in the Senior and Junior divisions respectively. The Senior brother and I have come up with a team that we would both like to use. The Junior doesn't know how to make a team very well, but knows how to utilize a team when it is given to him.

If we had the same 4 Pokemon (Assuming that the division times don't overlap), is there any rule against us trading the team between us and each of using the team in each of our divisions?

JRank

Jonny
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
If you have any doubt in your heart at all that the person you are fighting has a hacked team, then call out a hack check. Sure, the other person might be offended, but better be safe than sorry.

My question: I have two younger brothers in the Senior and Junior divisions respectively. The Senior brother and I have come up with a team that we would both like to use. The Junior doesn't know how to make a team very well, but knows how to utilize a team when it is given to him.

If we had the same 4 Pokemon (Assuming that the division times don't overlap), is there any rule against us trading the team between us and each of using the team in each of our divisions?
Absolutely none. Actually, (correct me if I'm wrong guys) you could even use the same cartridge, I think. But the BEST way to go about this is to clone a team for each one, so no one suspects anything.

JRank

Jonny
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I think it would be far more suspicious to see two identical teams than to see one team being played by two people.
What can they prove? And anyway, with 75 FE pokes, the chance of some people having the same team is highly likely. Case in point: TopOgre. You know half those teams were cloned. In 09, BlakBlastoise's Metagross got cloned so many times it's clones had clones.

We don't know how their hack detectors work yet, so it would be pretty risky, that's all.

And yeah, I actually played against a kid in a live tournament using Blak's Metagross and when I asked him about it he said he got it on the GTS. >.>

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
We don't know how their hack detectors work yet, so it would be pretty risky, that's all.
This is my philosophy. I have no personal ethical qualms about using hacked Pokémon (as long as they're legal hacks, of course), since I think the point of competitive battling should be about team building and tactical thinking rather than who has the most free time and patience to breed a genetically superior team, but I also really like not being disqualified, so I'm not letting an AR anywhere near my game just to be safe.

kingofmars

Its 2015 somewhere
won the 2nd Smogon VGC Tournamentis a Past SPL Champion
My question; Can I set up trick room, and sandstorm, so that my slow rocks,steel etc. pokes get the benefits of sandstorm, and get to go first?

If this is possible, is it really a good idea/doable/competitive?
It's possible, but not really viable since the SpD boost only helps rock types, and the only slow rock type is Gigaisu, whose SpD is kind of Shit. So possible, not neccesarily Viable

How prevalent are priority moves in the meta? Searching through the priority moves on bulbapedia, I see that only Vanilluxe, Conkeldurr, and Samurott have ice shard, mach punch, and aqua jet repectively. So it seems like priority moves have certainly become rarer, and with none of those pokemon having technician, are priority moves even a threat?

How effective could these moves be against a TR team? Or, alternatively, how useful could Aqua Jet and Mach punch be against various weather teams?

How prevalent are priority moves in the meta? Searching through the priority moves on bulbapedia, I see that only Vanilluxe, Conkeldurr, and Samurott have ice shard, mach punch, and aqua jet repectively. So it seems like priority moves have certainly become rarer, and with none of those pokemon having technician, are priority moves even a threat?

How effective could these moves be against a TR team? Or, alternatively, how useful could Aqua Jet and Mach punch be against various weather teams?
Other notable mentions: Sucker Punch with Druddgion, Zoroark and Maractus

Weather really isn't too common and there isn't as much of a need to run weather hate in this metagame as in past VGCs.

Not many priority moves work against Trick Room. You should be running Conkeldurr in Trick Room anyway, and you're slow enough to outspeed generally everything that you would be hitting with mach punch. Ice Shard is weak against many TR pokemon (except Druddgion who can hit you first with Sucker Punch) and Vanilluxe is pretty frail. I've seen Aqua Jet coming off of Samurott to be pretty effective both in TR and out; just it's not very effective against two of TR's most common pokemon, Jellicent and Amoonguss.

In short, priority moves are not very common and are usually easy to work around.

can anyone tell me how many ev's I would need to invest into a viriszion (adamant) with speed Iv of 5 to match the base speed of an adamant viriszion with a speed iv of 31.

If you were wanting +speed nature then you might as well use it. The drop to defense is only 90 to 81 (assuming the ivs are at 31 in defense). Rock slide will be the main problem since its is the most common (and powerful) physical attack used on it. From the calcs ive done, it can still survive a rock slide (non-crit) from adamant Conkeldurr, adamant Haxorous, and adamant Landorus (assuming you have two pokemon out there because of the attack drop for hitting both pokemon).

It could have survived a rock slide from an adamant Terakion (low chances) if it wasnt hasty but not if you have hasty nature, though most Terrakion are Jolly anyway, which you are gaurentee to survive if you didnt have hasty nature, but with hasty there is still a chance.

Pretty much it only makes a difference if you come across a Terrakion, and depending on your team you could protect and hurt it then finish it off since Tornadus is faster or something. Idk, thats on you. All the calcs are done assuming 31 ivs in speed and hp. You should do some one your own because I do not know the specifics of your Tornadus.

here is the calc i used http://pokemon.marriland.com/damage.php
you have to multiply the answer by .75 to get the attack drop for double battle. (im pretty sure that the attack only is 75% effective)

Thanks, that helps alot, the iv's are near flawless and it was to good to pass up, I will probably end up using it........

If you were wanting +speed nature then you might as well use it. The drop to defense is only 90 to 81 (assuming the ivs are at 31 in defense). Rock slide will be the main problem since its is the most common (and powerful) physical attack used on it. From the calcs ive done, it can still survive a rock slide (non-crit) from adamant Conkeldurr, adamant Haxorous, and adamant Landorus (assuming you have two pokemon out there because of the attack drop for hitting both pokemon).

It could have survived a rock slide from an adamant Terakion (low chances) if it wasnt hasty but not if you have hasty nature, though most Terrakion are Jolly anyway, which you are gaurentee to survive if you didnt have hasty nature, but with hasty there is still a chance.

Pretty much it only makes a difference if you come across a Terrakion, and depending on your team you could protect and hurt it then finish it off since Tornadus is faster or something. Idk, thats on you. All the calcs are done assuming 31 ivs in speed and hp. You should do some one your own because I do not know the specifics of your Tornadus.

here is the calc i used http://pokemon.marriland.com/damage.php
you have to multiply the answer by .75 to get the attack drop for double battle. (im pretty sure that the attack only is 75% effective)

Asked this already in the general "Simple Question/Answer" thread but I haven't gotten a response and it's been pushed down under several pages of new posts, so I'm going to move it here since it's primarily VGC related anyway.

Can anyone confirm exactly what the damage cuts are for doubles? Some sources say that all multi-target moves work at 75% damage, but others say that moves that hit the entire field (Earthquake, Discharge, SD) still work at 100% power, like they did in gen 3 at JAA.

Confirmation please?

Articuno64

1 to 63 were taken
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Asked this already in the general "Simple Question/Answer" thread but I haven't gotten a response and it's been pushed down under several pages of new posts, so I'm going to move it here since it's primarily VGC related anyway.

Can anyone confirm exactly what the damage cuts are for doubles? Some sources say that all multi-target moves work at 75% damage, but others say that moves that hit the entire field (Earthquake, Discharge, SD) still work at 100% power, like they did in gen 3 at JAA.

Confirmation please?
Everything is cut to 75%, including Earthquake and friends.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
So what benefit is there of using a move that hits the entire field compared to a move that hits both opponents? :\

3rd Gen made more sense tbh.
Because sometimes moves that only hit the opponent's Pokemon either don't exist of a certain type or can't be learned by certain Pokemon.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Neither Rock Slide nor Blizzard hit your partner.

Oh, I forgot to say, sometimes it's beneficial to hit your partner with say Surf if they get healed by water attacks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)