Battle Subway

For what I've seen, the AI behaves as if it was tricked by the Illusion, although I dunno if it eventually realizes(for example, would it keep using Psychic against a Zoroark disguised as a Conkeldurr?)

For what I've seen, the AI behaves as if it was tricked by the Illusion, although I dunno if it eventually realizes(for example, would it keep using Psychic against a Zoroark disguised as a Conkeldurr?)
I'm pretty hyped to start experimenting with this. If so, it could be a great way of preventing fighting type moves against your Zoruark.
Disguise it as Gengar and they shouldn't use normal, fighting and ground moves against you, and could be tempted in using psychic moves...

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
What I've heard was the opposite; the in-game NPCs never find out the Illusion (unless it breaks, obviously), but the AI completely ignores the ability in the Battle Subway.

What I've heard was the opposite; the in-game NPCs never find out the Illusion (unless it breaks, obviously), but the AI completely ignores the ability in the Battle Subway.
yet another example of Subway Cheating...

either that or Zoroark is just too weak to actually hold its illusion ON A TRAIN. >_>

Destiny Warrior

also known as Darkwing_Duck
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
The subway AI has improved a lot this time round, what with it switching and all.

Could somebody please find a way to abuse the AI?

Starmie was one of the best sweepers in BF last gen(good STAB, SpAtk, high bp moves, excellent coverage, recover), I'd imagine him to be the same this gen in the subway, unless there are lots of Blissey there.

@TorchicBlaziken: Don't use Scald on an offensive Pokemon, stick with either Surf/Hydro Pump.

Starmie was one of the best sweepers in BF last gen(good STAB, SpAtk, high bp moves, excellent coverage, recover), I'd imagine him to be the same this gen in the subway, unless there are lots of Blissey there.

@TorchicBlaziken: Don't use Scald on an offensive Pokemon, stick with either Surf/Hydro Pump.
Everything in this post is true. And I've seen like 10 bliss,all using attract+thunder wave...

And to be honest,starmies one of the most reliable mons I've used this gen, and I don't even have the life orb yet! It fucks shit up in random battles, speaking of which I'm really tired of seeing nothing the the stupid washing machine rotom, and why are there so many charizard!?

Destiny Warrior

also known as Darkwing_Duck
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
It didn't work very well for me, because the trainers just switched out either as I switched, or after one turn. That's how I lost to that Inferno Litwick...

Straight up boss team of:
Garchomp@Draco Plate - Swords Dance/Outrage/EQ/Fire Fang
Metagross@Earth Plate - Agility/Hone Claws/Meteor Mash/EQ
Conkledurr@Leftovers - Bulk Up/Drain Punch/Mach Punch/Stone Edge

The main strategy is kill first mon with Fire Fang or EQ, then Outrage the remaining two. Chomps speed + bulk means I can usually sneak off a Swords Dance. Managed to get to 42 Super Single so far, bought all my Power Items.

I swear that the opponents team isn't picked until their next pokemon needs to switch in. So many times i've been perfectly countered by picking one move, then having the 2nd or 3rd pokemon coming in and straight up countering me. Probably just trying to justify my bad misplays, but I'm sure it wasn't this bad in Gen IV!

Yes. If you get confused, you will hit yourself every time without fail. Any opponent Pokemon that holds Quick Claw will have it activate every turn. etc.
You exaggerate. The Duosion I fought in the Battle Subway only activated its Quick Claw only about half the time. Not too different from my friend's Tyranitar, which he frequently makes hold a Quick Claw.

My team is:

Hydreigon @ Life orb
Naive nature
- Dragon pulse
- Surf
- Flamethrower
- Focus blast

Haxorus @ Lum berry
Jolly nature
- Dragon dance
- dragon claw
- earthquake
- rock slide

Volcarona @ Insect plate
Mild nature
flame body
- Quiver dance
- Bug buzz
- Psychic
- Flamethrower

I need help. I want it based around hydreigon but i'm losing bad in super singles.

Are these pokemon ones you took through your main playthrough? Some of the natures look kind of iffy. If so, you probably didn't EV train them, and that may be the reason you're having difficulties. You may also want to switch out one of your Dragons for something else.

Camara said:
Does the new switching system justify entry hazards? I guess not with only 3 pokes and all, but..
Unless you have a way to force the opponent to use Struggle, then avoid hazards. The AI only switches out if locked into a bad move (such as EQ on your Latias, a status move like Swords Dance or Light Screen, etc), so chances are, you'll only force one or two switches at most. If you Encore a status move, AI sometimes switches out, but usually stays in.

I'm having some great results using an Inconsistent Octillery. Lead with something that can help the octopus set up, like a Trick/Flash Uxie or something that Baton Passes Ingrain or Aqua Ring. Have a fast sweeper (like a ScarfChomp or LO Starmie) in the last slot to clean up whatever Octillery couldn't kill.

This strategy does get me far but to be honest it's quite boring having to Protect/sub over and over to get all the boost, so I usually switch between teams and strategies.

Single:

7 battles: 3 BP
14 battles 3 BP
21 battles 10 BP

Super Singles:

7 battles: 5 BP
14 battles: 6 BP
21 battles: 7 BP

I haven't done any more than that.

I'm having some great results using an Inconsistent Octillery. Lead with something that can help the octopus set up, like a Trick/Flash Uxie or something that Baton Passes Ingrain or Aqua Ring. Have a fast sweeper (like a ScarfChomp or LO Starmie) in the last slot to clean up whatever Octillery couldn't kill.

This strategy does get me far but to be honest it's quite boring having to Protect/sub over and over to get all the boost, so I usually switch between teams and strategies.
My thoughts regarding the bolded part at this point of the thread.
I'd love to try that out, but I lack the patience to spam protect and sub at least 6 turns for every battle.
I think all-out offensive is the way to go as long as we lack a way of manipulating the AI in the subway.

edit: fuck yeah, 1000th post! :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)