Creative (and good) Movesets (READ THE OP FIRST)

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Set:
Thundurus@LifeOrb
+Spe-Atk
252 Special Attack / 252 Speed / 4 HP
SkyDrop
Nasty Plot
Thunderbolt
Dark Pulse

This set utilizes a new move called Sky Drop. Its like the move fly for the opponent, it sends the opponent into the air, then drops them for damadge. With a good speed, you could send them into the air without being damaged. While they're in the air, either switch out to a counter or Nasty Plot as they hit the ground. I know there might be other options, I'm just posting this one as a main one. (DDNite, HoneCLawAero) ANy thoughts or better suggestions to this set?
When u use sky drop, u can't move for a turn either
That. Sky Drop is best used when it's combined with something like Toxic, since it's just a way to burn through an extra turn. And Thundrus isn't really the type to pull off a stall set like that, since he lacks any good recovery move.

Azelf has been the fastest Pokémon to learn Imprison and an entry hazard since Generation IV, but even during Generation IV, when Azelf's usage was at its peak, no one thought of this, even though this fact means that it was Game Freak's intention. And despite that Magic Coat now reflects entry hazards as well as Taunt, giving it a way to counter other entry hazard leads, and the fact that its usage alongside Imprison makes them both even better, nobody uses it on Azelf, despite Explosion's nerf giving it a moveslot. However, now Azelf has a reason to be used over Deoxys-S, because Imprison can prevent the foe from ever using three moves vital to every entry hazard lead other than those who only know Spikes and/or Toxic Spikes, and Imprison is not blocked by Magic Coat.

Azelf
move 1: Magic Coat
move 2: Imprison
move 3: Stealth Rock
move 4: Taunt / Fire Blast
item: Focus Sash
nature: Timid
evs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

Thanks to Imprison and Magic Coat, Azelf doesn't have to worry about getting Taunted as much, and thus can afford to go without a damaging attack. Use Magic Coat first turn to reflect predicted Taunt or predicted entry hazards, then use Imprison to prevent them from ever using Stealth Rock, Taunt, or Magic Coat, making them powerless to stop Azelf from using Stealth Rock on them unless:

a:) they attacked both turns Azelf used Magic Coat and Imprison, and knocked Azelf out after it used Imprison (in this situation you still won in a sense because now they can't use Stealth Rock on your team, and even better if that's the only entry hazard they know)
b:) they attacked both turns Azelf used Magic Coat and Imprison, and knocked Azelf out before it could use Imprison (in this situation you still won in a sense IF on the turn Azelf used Magic Coat, it reflected an entry hazard)
c:) they attacked both turns Azelf used Magic Coat and Imprison, and didn't knock Azelf out, but KOd Azelf before it could use Stealth Rock (in this situation you still won in a sense for the same reason as in a)
d:) they attacked when Azelf used Magic Coat, didn't attack Azelf when you used Imprison, and KOd Azelf before it could use Stealth Rock (in this situation you lose even more if the foe got an entry hazard up while Azelf was using Imprison; this situation requires expectance of this set from the opponent)
e:) they didn't use Taunt when Azelf used Magic Coat and used Taunt before Azelf could use Imprison (in this situation you still won in a sense for the same reason as b)
f:) they attacked when Azelf used Magic Coat, didn't attack, successfully Taunt, or get any entry hazards up on the turn Azelf used Imprison, and knocked out Azelf before it could use Stealth Rock (in this situation you still won in a sense if Stealth Rock is the only entry hazard they know)
g:) they didn't attack when Azelf used Magic Coat, attacked when Azelf used Imprison, and knocked out Azelf before it could use Stealth Rock

If they used Spikes or Toxic Spikes on the turn Azelf used Magic Coat, that's even better! And if they used Taunt on the turn Azelf used Magic Coat, that guarantees for Azelf to succeed in using Stealth Rock, but you might want to Imprison first to make sure that it doesn't start using entry hazards when the three turns of Taunt are up.

If they used Stealth Rock on the turn Azelf used Magic Coat, then use Imprison and they can't try again.

Since Azelf has no attacks, it can invest in HP, giving it more survivability. The extra 4 EVs are in Special Defense so that Download Pokémon get an Attack boost instead of a Special Attack boost.

This set is good for teams that need entry hazards on the opponent's side and not on theirs, without using a Rapid Spinner. If that's what you need, and your five other party members are self-sufficient, then this is the best option, over Deoxys-S.

I did try imprison Azelf in Gen 4, put it wasn't too great. Obviously Magic Coat makes it a better set this time round, but even so, deflecting hazards on your end and only getting SR up on the opponent doesn't seem as important this generation. If that's vital to your team, great, but I can't help but feel it would need an extra edge besides that to be truly valuable, whether it be another Support Move or an Attack - perhaps slash that over Taunt, which when deflected by Magic Coat seems less necessary.

I think this set would be a lot better if azelf could learn spikes or toxic spikes, because what would end up happening is that you magic coat first turn and reflect stealth rocks, and then you can't set up your own. And without an attacking move, it is too specialized for my taste.

New Set:
Empleon @ choice scarf
timid nature
252 sp atk, 216/236 spe (depends if you want to beat the Kami trio), 20/40 in sp def
move 1: Surf
move 2: Ice Beam
move 3: grass knot
move 4: Hp electric

Scarfpoleon has two major advantages over normal empoleon- 4 attack slots and the ability to outspeed many counters and checks. Because Empoleon has so many checks that he is super effective against, it makes him a prime choice for scarfing, because it simultaneously eliminates checks against him and creates things he can check. Additionally, because Empoleon is so slow, most things that are allowed to come in on him because of choice could come in on him anyways because they outspeed him. The extra speed allows him to beat infernape, non-yache garchomp, non-scarfed heatran and flygon, Landorus, Thundurus and Tornadus (with stealth rock or spikes), salamence, dragonite, and several others, all of which previously beat him. The other benefit from the choice scarf is that it eliminates the need for agility, letting it carry both Grass Knot and HP electric. Having to choose between Grass Knot and HP Electric meant that before it could only counter either bulky waters (such as Swampert) OR gyarados. Empoleon now is a complete water check, because it can hit both heavy waters and light waters such as Vaporeon. Like all choicers, Scarfpoleon requires a lot of prediction, but if played right could be incredibly useful.

Despite being on-site I don't see too many people running this...

Deoxys-S @ Life Orb
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 12 Atk / 252 SAtk / 244 Spd
Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- Psycho Boost
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Rock]
- Superpower

Outspeed everything up to Scarf Garchomp which makes it an excellent revenge killer. Psycho Boost is great because it OHKOs Conkeldurr, and personally I find HP Rock to be very useful in taking out Volcarona.

@ScarfPoleon: It seems good but frankly Empoleon is a little too slow for scarf. Tyranitar can run a Scarf set because it makes it an excellent revenge killer for every single Psychic-type bar Deoxys. Empoleon can switch into water-type attackers like Gyarados, but then Gyarados can Earthquake. In essence, other than being fast and providing a resist, there isn't much reason to use it over say, Starmie. Still, it might have uses.

Despite being on-site I don't see too many people running this...

Deoxys-S @ Life Orb
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 12 Atk / 252 SAtk / 244 Spd
Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- Psycho Boost
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Rock]
- Superpower

Outspeed everything up to Scarf Garchomp which makes it an excellent revenge killer. Psycho Boost is great because it OHKOs Conkeldurr, and personally I find HP Rock to be very useful in taking out Volcarona.
Not a bad set, though I could see a lot of switching going on to deal with the constant stat drops. If the opponent got to set up entry hazards and you don't have a spinner, it could be a problem...

Anyway, here's a set I came up with. It sort of just clicked together in my mind randomly last night, and I think it's not too bad.

Shelmet@Eviolite
Careful/Calm nature
252 HP/126 Def/126 Sp.Def/4 Sp.Atk
Hydration
~Rest
~Toxic
~Protect
~Substitute/Venoshock

Shelmet has better defenses than Accelgor, and that's not even taking the Eviolite into account. Lack of Lefties is no problem, either, because when paired with Politoed, Shelmet needs only use Rest for instant, drawback-free full recovery. Hydration also essentially makes it immune to other status conditions as well. Toxic and Protect are for stalling purposes. Same with Substitute, although Venoshock isn't a horrible option, if you fear Taunt that much. Works well with Toxic, and is basically the only reason to run any Special Attack EVs on this set at all. If you're not running this with Venoshock, put those last four EVs into whichever defense you feel needs an extra point. Careful and Calm are both viable natures, unless you're running Venoshock, in which case go with Calm, because Shelmet's Special Attack needs all the help it can get.

I intend to train a Shelmet in-game much like this and use it over wi-fi. It'll go well with the Politoed I'm training.

Azelf
move 1: Magic Coat
move 2: Imprison
move 3: Stealth Rock
move 4: Taunt / Fire Blast
item: Focus Sash
nature: Timid
evs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Wow, this actually a pretty good idea. Only problem with it though is that it has no attacks. It seems like after you imprison + Stealth rock / taunt, it can't do anything else really. After it gets it's job done it's almost dead weight. I think I would use Psychic / Fire Blast in that last slot.

This rain sweeper Nite is pretty good.

Dragonite @ Life Orb
Modest | Inner Focus
EVs: 28 HP / 252 SpAtk / 228 Spd
Agility / Surf / Thunder / Hurricane

Full on accuracy abuse. STAB Hurricane is bringing the ruckus and rain-boosted Surf and Thunder are there mostly for coverage. Max SpAtk duh, enough speed to outpace Deo-S after an Agility, and the remaining EVs go in HP to help set up. The only relevant Scarfer he doesn't beat is Terak, which would require you to run Timid (with 164 EVs), but he really wants the power. Outside of the rain, he's obviously not very effective and he has no chance to outspeed Dory in the sand, so that's a bummer. However, he makes an excellent late-game cleaner if you keep making it rain.

Hitmonchan surprisingly gets Rapid Spin... (imagines spinning Hitmonchan) Wait, what? The moveset? Oh yeah...

Hitmonchan (M) @ Muscle Band
Trait: Iron Fist
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Rapid Spin
- Close Combat
- Mach Punch
- Ice Punch

This set is probably horrible, but it caught people off guard in Gen 4 NU. CC is for massive power and STAB, Mach Punch is for priority, and Ice Punch provides good coverage. The EVs probably aren't the best, but they work for me.

Black Belt is probably better than Muscle Band seeing as it's boosting your more important moves by a substantial amount, or Expert Belt if you're planning on abusing the extra power dealt by a super effective Ice Punch. As it is though, 10% is too small of a boost.

Not a bad set, though I could see a lot of switching going on to deal with the constant stat drops. If the opponent got to set up entry hazards and you don't have a spinner, it could be a problem...
Well, I usually put it as my lead on Wifi, but swap out to something else when the match starts. It works more like a Scarfgon that can switch attacks, what with that meh attack stat balanced by the sheer power of Psycho Boost.

Great thread. I haven't had a chance to read through it all yet, but there are definitely a few sets I'd love to try out. I've been using the @brightpowder phazing Garchomp set and it is definitely a pain to deal with. I love seeing people ragequit after Blaziken misses two straight HJK's and knocks himself out, or missing once, being phazed out and killed next time he comes in.

As for a couple sets:

Empoleon@leftovers
EVs: 108 HP/148 Def/252 SpD
Calm Nature(SpD+,Atk-)
Stealth Rock
Yawn
Scald
Ice Beam/Toxic

Not the most original set, but has worked very well for me. The Ev spread isn't very specific, 108 in HP gives him a leftovers number, Sp. Def is maxed, rest into to defense to take things like Gliscors earthquakes. He tends to be a magnet for trick scarf/specs too, which turns him into a pretty threatening late game sweeper.

Clefable@Toxic orb/something else for unaware, lefties i guess.
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Speed
Jolly Nature(Spd+/SpA-)
Magic Guard/Unaware
Cosmic Power
Soft-Boiled
Belly Drum
Facade/Stored Power

Haven't had a chance to try this out at all 5th gen, but it caught quite a few people off guard back in gen 5. Magic Guard is probably the best option, But I suppose unaware would work as well, since boosting sweepers would try to boost in your face expecting magic guard while you CP up, only to see their attacks do nothing. This thing is walled completely by Ghosts and Steels if you opt for Facade, and Dark and Steels with stored power. Obviously the idea is to cosmic power to +6 in both defenses, softboiled off damage when needed, belly drum to +6 attack, heal some more, and wreck with 140 bp facade off of almost 1000 attack. Suppose it could be considered kinda gimmicy, but if you can weaken/eliminate opposing steels and ghosts, it is very effective.

Sceptile@Sitrus Berry
4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
Adamant Nature(Atk+,Sp Atk-)
Unburden

Swords Dance
Leaf Blade
Brick Break
Night Slash

Can't claim I came up with this, saw someone else use it on pokemon online, and have since used it myself to great effect. Basically you swords dance while they attack you, hopefully dropping you into range to consume your sitrus berry. At which point unburden kicks in, and you sweep with 590 Atk and 678 Spe. That is enough to outspeed even Excadrill in sand. Leaf Blade is there for stab, but usually I end up using brick break and night slash, which combine for almost perfect neutral coverage.

Why are you people using Energy Ball over Giga Drain on Roserade? Giga Drain has 5 less base power than Energy Ball now (so 75) and restores hp (except against Tentacruel)! And if you're carrying Life Orb, Giga Drain does a heck of a lot+neuters Life Orb recoil.

A bulky Gallade

Gallade Leftovers
Stead Fast
178 Hp/72 Atk/120 Def/140 SDef
Careful Nature (or if Trick Room, Sassy 0 Spd)

-Bulk Up
-Drain Punch
-Ice Punch
-Light Screen/Pain Split/Thunder Punch/Trick Room

Gallade is yet another seriously underrated fighter. However his type is a benefit, a fighter who resists other fighters. Plus, no other fighter gets as many team support options as he does. Gallade competes with Roopushin to do the whole Bulk Up thing but I think Gallade actually does it better because of his (much) higher special defense and ability to actually ohko Gliscor with Ice Punch, something which no other fighter (except Ice Punch Lucario and Swords Dance Facade Heracross and random Hp Ice although most fighter's special attacks suck) can do. Being able to survive 236 Atk Gliscor's Acrobat (even before Bulk Up) is pretty cool and is also able to take hits on the special side. Drain Punch gets stab and maintains your health obviously.

The last slot is pretty open-ended because there are so many good moves Gallade could do there. Light Screen helps against special attackers and allows you to easily tank both sides. Pain Split can be a further healing device and hp stealer. Thunder Punch allows you to go through Gyrados and Slowbro who otherwise wall you forever. Trick Room can turn the tables on people and Gallade is a decent user being slow, bulky, and a hard hitter. Other options could be Taunt to prevent things from trying to set up, Magic Coat to reflect Status and Hazards, Hypnosis if you really need to sleep something, X-Scisssor for psychics, Encore to repeat moves, Thunderwave to paralyze, etc. Gallade has ridiculous amont of options and it was hard choosing which ones were best. As a fighter, Gallade is definitely one of the best and a severely underused one. But man does this thing have options...
Shadow Sneak should be mentioned on this set as it allows you to kill off things like Gengar. Also one reason to add to the list of why Gallade shouldn't try doing this over Roobushin....Gallade doesn't have Guts so once he is burned he is screwed.

Thing is, Roobushin can't do crap against Gallade, which can set up in his face with the unique Swords Dance and proceed to destroy him with STAB Zen Headbutt.

monkfish

what are birds? we just don't know.
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
what? it's not an argument of who wins in a conkeldurr vs gallade fight. read the post again. he's explaining why conkeldurr does it better (why you even mentioned swords dance, i have no idea)

it's a nice alternative to scrafty/conkeldurr, particularly since it loses the Psychic weakness that most teams carry as a counter to conkeldurr. lack of priority hurts, though

Clefable@Toxic orb/something else for unaware, lefties i guess.
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Speed
Jolly Nature(Spd+/SpA-)
Magic Guard/Unaware
Cosmic Power
Soft-Boiled
Belly Drum
Facade/Stored Power
I'm a sucker for Clefable, so this is quite an interesting idea in getting that Stored Power boost instantly, though I wonder if Calm Mind would be better simply because Special Attack boosts combined with Stored Power really give it some ridiculous firepower, and whilst Dark is safe, Steels would still get dented. Only problem with Unaware is that you can only use Wish or Moonlight for recovery, neither of which are as handy as Softboiled.

Sprocket

P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n
I'm going to try this Zoroark set out in Doubles play. It's main purpose is to be an annoyer, and also to cripple Special attackers. It's obviously hard countered by Fighting types (especially the Musketeers) and Dark types.

Zoroark @ (not sure on item)
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 Sp.Atk / 252 Speed
Naive (+Speed, -Sp. Def)
-Snarl
-Sucker Punch
-Taunt
-Foul Play

Here's a weird Drifblim set I tried to run a while back.

Drifblim @ sitrus berry
Unburden

Substitute
baton pass
wuhtever (stockpile?)
wuhtever

the idea here is to pass a totally intact substitute to another pokemon. This only works if Drifblim is slower than the opponent, but just fast enough to outspeed it with one boost. First turn you use substitute and hope that they either don't hit you, or take you down enough to activate the sytrus berry, which will always restore 25% HP and therefore enough to make a substitute regardless. Once the berry kicks in, you get unburden and can pass a completely healthy, Bigfat Mc. Largehuge sub on the next turn due to being faster thanks to unburden.

I've gotten this to work maybe once before, but it's pretty gimmicky and hard to pull off.

I'm a sucker for Clefable, so this is quite an interesting idea in getting that Stored Power boost instantly, though I wonder if Calm Mind would be better simply because Special Attack boosts combined with Stored Power really give it some ridiculous firepower, and whilst Dark is safe, Steels would still get dented. Only problem with Unaware is that you can only use Wish or Moonlight for recovery, neither of which are as handy as Softboiled.

Yeah probably should have slashed Calm Mind on there, since that would work better with Stored Power, and a Timid or possibly Bold nature. A set of Calm Mind, Stored Power, Softboiled/other healing move would work, but I'm not sure about that 4th slot on a special set. You could possibly still run Belly Drum, even though you won't be using a physical attack, that'll give you 6 more Stored Power boosts. Only downside to that would be no boosts to your defenses, so a physical hit could very well end your sweep attempt. I guess the best bet would probably be Focus Blast or Flamethrower/Fire Blast, to give you some way to hit Darks and Steels.

Has anyone mentioned usage of Swagger + Foul Play? Since Foul Play uses the opponent's attacking stat, you're essentially giving yourself a free swords dance by doing so.

Has anyone mentioned usage of Swagger + Foul Play? Since Foul Play uses the opponent's attacking stat, you're essentially giving yourself a free swords dance by doing so.
There is a Sableye set that focuses on this.

Will o Wisp
Foul Play
Swagger
Recover

Since Will o Wisp burn makes it that the enemies damage out put is halved, swagger doesn't increase the damage Sableye takes. HOWEVER, the burn cripple does not interfere with amount of damage from Foul Play.

There is a Sableye set that focuses on this.

Will o Wisp
Foul Play
Swagger
Recover

Since Will o Wisp burn makes it that the enemies damage out put is halved, swagger doesn't increase the damage Sableye takes. HOWEVER, the burn cripple does not interfere with amount of damage from Foul Play.
wo are you sure it doesn't take into account will-o-wisp? if that's true that set could be very destructive...might be better if you could use substitue to take on switches but theres nothing there to really replace.

Anyone ever try chople berry excadrill?

Excadrill
Adamant/Sand Throw
252 att/252 speed
Chople Berry
Sword Dance, Earthquake, Rockslide, X-scissor

Works almost the exact same as baloon excadrill, except now you're losing the earthquake immunity and adding the ability to take mach punch's, the bane of excadrill. Not sure of the calcs exactly, so would be nice if someone could do some w/ breloom, conkledurr, etc. Just a note I've been trying this out on PO and my excadrill just survived a focus blast from a scarf gengar...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)