Smogon Front Page B&W Pokemon Art Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, icepick's hydregon is simply amazing! I love the coarse look of it that makes it so fierce.

Energy's really smart for using the glow shading for volcarona... because it works!

So... Here's my first go at a 5th gen guy, I'm still getting the hang of that digital transition...:S

Can't decide who to try for the yellow/green and blue though. :(
Oh my guanno, that face is awesome.

For yellow/green, i haven't seen anyone do Desukan(CoFAGrigus...ewww) or Lilligant (eh, okay english name), both of which are super-shmexy with a Para-status and Butterfly Dance set respectively. They're so viable competively, but everyone's been bending over for the OU maniacs {[hint-hint ;) (by that I mean you could do either of those.)]}

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Lots of great stuff has been posted in this thread. Thanks to all the artists that are pitching in here!

I'd like to have all art submissions finalized and posted here by the end of the day (11:59:59pm PST) on:

March 31st, 2011

After that, I will collect everything and figure out some way to determine which pics will be featured on the front page. We WILL be using multiple sets of pictures for the front page. We WILL NOT be using every set that has been posted. I'll probably set up some kind of poll here in Smeargle's Studio for everyone to weigh in on which ones they like best, and then we'll use a few of the top finishers in the poll. I can't say for sure how many we'll use; let's see how it all plays out.

Lots of great stuff has been posted in this thread. Thanks to all the artists that are pitching in here!

I'd like to have all art submissions finalized and posted here by the end of the day (11:59:59pm PST) on:

March 31st, 2011
they don't need to be digital though, right? if not i can have them up by the end of today.

Hey Doug,

I'm planning to draw three images as well, but before I go any further I want to make sure I'm not breaking any rules.

So here's a work in progress of one of my submissions, Samurott:

It's still a bit messy, and I'm already noticing some parts I can change. Funny how that seems to happen every time after you upload something.

I'm wondering if this still fits the "colored lineart" criteria. I want to make sure with you before I go ahead with the other two drawings in this same style.

On a side note, the two other Pokemon I'm planning to draw are Bisharp and Haxorus.

az

toddmoding
is a Community Contributoris an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
hi strangeways, i think going by the cap rules quoted in the thread that submission is kinda breaking the rules because colour and outline aren't exactly definite in it, but i don't know how literally doug is transferring them

that said, i really hope he lets you use that style because i want to see that on the front page!

also obligatory "wow" at the last couple of sets of submissions, this is all so good guys

(and thanks ct!)

Acklow

I am always tired. Don't bother me.
I love that Samurott. You should honestly set up an Art Thread if the rest of your art looks like that.

Jesus fuck, icepick, way to show the rest of us up :P

Anyways, I'm a little late getting into this, but figured I'd toss up a few sketches.

Thoughts or tips are well appreciated. Obviously they'll look better when I color them 6.6;

Damn icepick I'm loving those drawings. Love how you did the "fuzz" on Volcarona.

Mutant I'm digging the angles and perspective on your drawings, makes them look more dramatic.

Here's the Bisharp I'm working on. I decided to opt for a more traditional method. I'll probably stick with this style when I draw the haxorus and redraw the Samurott.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I posted those "rules" in the OP, to give everyone an idea of what I am looking for -- but those are CAP art contest rules, not rules for the Smogon front page. I want posed pictures of pokemon on a plain white background. I don't want them blasting Thunderbolts, or punching out Blissey, or gazing over a mountain vista, or have snarky captions, or wearing funny costumes, or... whatever. I hope you get what I mean. Just draw the pokemon. How you draw it is pretty much up to you.

I happen to prefer pokeart that is colored lineart, but if you make a good pic that is "appropriate" for the Smogon front page circles -- then go for it. On the CAP project, we strictly enforce art rules to create an even playing field for everyone to compete. In this thread, I put up those rules so people could get a sense for what I think will look "appropriate". This project should be fun and interesting for everyone. I'm not going to be a heavy-handed rule enforcer. If artists are willing to lend their talents to make our front page look cool -- I'm interested to see what they can do. If your style is not squarely in the Ken Sugimori mold, that's fine with me. But, I don't want weird stuff or crazy stylized pics just for shock value. Draw cool pics in your style, and we'll all see what we like.

As for strangeways' question about the style on Samurott, I happen to really like that style. No, it's not traditional cartoon lineart. But I love the lyrical quality and all the energy. Lesser artists can't pull that style off without looking like just haphazard marks and dabs. But the structure you conveyed with so few strokes was remarkable. I love it! I also like the traditional style you used on the Bisharp. You pick the style you think would be best, and go with it.

I'm also loving the stuff posted by the other artists in this thread. I'm so glad you guys are taking time to contribute to this project!

Kyurem is absolutely badass that way.

Victini and Scrafty, on the other hand...Victini looks too "mystical" for a cute pixie legendary (who is even cute when performing its signature move, V-Create,) and Scrafty looks too human. I would recommend making them more Pokemon-like.

Kyurem is absolutely badass that way.

Victini and Scrafty, on the other hand...Victini looks too "mystical" for a cute pixie legendary (who is even cute when performing its signature move, V-Create,) and Scrafty looks too human. I would recommend making them more Pokemon-like.
they are redesigns, and you pretty much said what i was going for with them. i thought scrafty was way too scrawny for a fighting type, and victini i felt needed some oompf to it. i still think it's cute.

thanks much on kyurem though, it had so much potential to be awesome.

Not sure we're looking for redesigns-besides I kind of got the "uncanny valley" vibe from Scrafty, it looked just a little too human to look like either a human or a Scrafty.

On the other hand, you could probably submit all three of your genie pics (heck, just extend Landlos' tail back behind it and bam no more prop violation.)

As for the green/yellow pokemon, I'm torn between Haxorus and Archeops. Expect to see either one within the next few days.

All three are done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)