CAP 12 CAP1 - Part 8 - (Name Submissions)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Two names popped into my head here:
zephurr: zephyr+fur. Simple,but it works.
Ruffleon: suggests the word ruffian, features Leon, and also implies ruffle, like his feathers. Might be too similar to rufflet though.
Feedback appreciated. This is my first stab at this kind of thing, so be brutal.

FINAL SUBMISSION

Togryph

Based off of totem pole and gryphon, given both its appearance seemingly based in Native American lore and its concept.

Also additional one, will change to final depending on feedback:

Gryntum

Gryphon + momentum

Dogfish44

You can call me Jiggly
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributor
Devileo / Devilleo (Deh ~ Vill ~ ee ~ oh) (Would like opinions here!)

A simple Portmanteau, Combining Devil and Leo. Leo is self explanatary here, whilst Devil is double meaning. Devil refers to the prankster ability , and a type of small tornado is called "Devil Wind".

Barelis (Bah ~ Eh ~ Liss)

Portmanteua of Barometer and Felis (Latin for cat). Also links to Borealis, a well known phenonemon.

Need some opinions on these!

Ice-eyes

Simper Fi
Either:

Bellerocon
Bellerophon (rider of Pegasus, slayer of Chimeras) + Con (that slimy sod who sold you the brick you opened on Christmas Day instead of a Wii)

Ascelleo
Ascension (Rising, flight) + Leo (yeah, statistically 67.4% of all pokémon names involve pig latin, go gryphawk yourself)

Momenthu

Its a combination of momentum, and Menthu, the hawk-headed egyptian god of war, who was also worshiped as the lord of the sky. Menthu also means nomad, which could represent Momenthu's likely use of switching in and out of battle often. It doesn't really fit in with it being a totem pole icon, but it could fit in with being a sphinx icon.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Final Submission

Some other people have mentioned they like this one, and I do too. So, I might as well finalize it.

Tomohawk

Rooted in "Tomahawk" (a fighting weapon) and "Mohawk" (a tribe). The name also ties into "Tomcat", and just having "Hawk" in there brings in the whole flying concept. The design has a very tribal feel, and this name has a tribal feel too.

When I saw this design, I thought of an African tribe, which got me thinking of Lion King, which lead me to this name.

Zazumba

It's kind of a cross between Zazu and Simba, plus it has "zumba" which is a dance fitness program that signifies momentum in the sense. I felt it's quirky, easy to pronounce and fits the CAPmon decently.

What about Gruffian? It combines "gruff," "ruff," (a neck decoration, could be a mane) and "avian" while recalling "lion."
It's not that different from "Gruffion" or others that have been suggested, but I think it gets the point across and it rolls of the tongue.

Other than that, I suggest
Fravian (Fray + Avian) and perhaps
Regulash (Regulus, a star in the constellation Leo, a lion, and clash) -I like this because the constellation reference combines the lion and sky ideas.

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Final Submission

Gryphoon

Gryphon + Typhoon

I did a quick search on the thread with the search tool and Gryphoon wasn't posted so I guess this is safe.

I realize it's another one of those "Grif/Gryph" names that's floating around, but I do like its simplicity. I also wanted to emphasize on the Flying-primary portion of the CAPmon, and typhoon fits in just perfectly. Simple and no toungetwisting required :).

Shaggles, please go back to the first page and see that I suggested the same thing (only difference is I used a y instead of the first i). Please read more carefully.

Final submission

Grifist

Basically just Griffin and fist put together. I think it capture the whole flying beast part quite well and allures to the fact it's part Fighting with the obvious use of fist but i dropped the second "F".

Grifictory--Griffin + Victory
Griffacles--Griffin + Heracles
Griffiary--Griffin + Aviery. Not sure if it's too close to Braviary though.
Not sure which I like better and still trying to think of more. Feedback is appreciated.

I thought of one: Avaint. It's a portmanteau of "ave" (Spanish for bird) and "ain't". I think it's appropriate, seeing how this CAP's whole art design is around how it tricks enemies into thinking it's a bird...but it ain't. The grammatically incorrect "ain't" also suggests that our CAP is a bit mischevious...a Prankster, if you will.

However, I also really like a lot of the submissions so far, particularly "Tomohawk" and "Griffender". Both of these names manage to capture the Pokemon's fighting type, something mine fails to do.

Edit: Just for clarification, I imagine Avaint being pronounced with a soft "A" sound (ah-vaint).

Hmmmm well since my initial idea was thought of already i've come up with a new one.

Tribourne

Basically Tribal and airbourne. I reeeeallllyyyyy hope this hasn't been suggested but i've gone through the other posts again.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Final Submission

Spiffy

As in: DAMN that is one spiffy fake hawk cat bird thing.

Final Submission

Spiffy

As in: DAMN that is one spiffy fake hawk cat bird thing.
Correct me but if memory serves, wasn't this suggested during the poll for Cyclohm? and it went really well in the polls too? Hahahaha either way, i'd love for a pokemon to be named Spiffy.

Momenthu

Its a combination of momentum, and Menthu, the hawk-headed egyptian god of war, who was also worshiped as the lord of the sky. Menthu also means nomad, which could represent Momenthu's likely use of switching in and out of battle often. It doesn't really fit in with it being a totem pole icon, but it could fit in with being a sphinx icon.
I love this name. Has an ancient twist to it, describes clearly what the poke is about, and is easy to pronounce. The background story is really interesting as well.

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Final Submission

Gustigar

"Courage of the Winds"

Upon further deliberation, I've chosen to stand behind this one as a winning team. It's catchy, sensible, and overall a very befitting name for such a fearsome Pokemon.

Korski

Distilled, 80 proof
is a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Final Submission

Mischief

Mischief is an actual word, as most ought to know already, and is the root of Prankster's formerly anglicized name, Mischievous Heart. What it also offers is the word "Chief" embedded in the word itself, a chief being the leader of a native tribe. It would most likely be pronounced "mis-CHEEF" for that reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)