Pokémon Black/White in-game discussion

Just beat the game for the first time! And wow,
Ghetsis
was easy to beat. His
Cofagrigus
was the easiest thing to set up on with Lilligant (with a few Antidotes), and then Petal Dance outspeeds and OHKOs his whole team. Mine was only level 51, too...

And I'd been slightly worried because RNGing Zekrom meant I only had 4 of my real team with me.
Why did you only have 4 of your team? When you catch zekrom/reshiram it asks if you want to put it in your party and send another poke to the PC. So, if your team had 5, and you used a synchronizer, just drop the synchro.

On Serperior, if you're gonna use Giga Drain, why not Growth over Coil? I agree, in general its moveset is lousy. In the post-game you can get Swords Dance, which makes it better.

You only need one person with Strength, so replace it with Return on the other.

I'd stick with TBolt on Galvantula, unless you are finding yourself missing out on OHKO's all the time. Thunder will miss annoyingly often.
You must have some terrible luck. With compound eyes, thunder is 91% accurate. I think I missed once the whole time I've used it. I don't seem to miss fire blasts very often either (85%)

Why did you only have 4 of your team? When you catch zekrom/reshiram it asks if you want to put it in your party and send another poke to the PC. So, if your team had 5, and you used a synchronizer, just drop the synchro.
To do the frame advancements I had to have five Pokémon with me, and one of them was the syncher. (6 doesn't go into 80, but 5 does). I could presumably have run from the PC after doing the right number of withdrawals, but couldn't be bothered to work it out. So, Emboar and Reuniclus sat out for the final fight.

Interestingly, my Krookodile ended up being the perfect Pokémon to catch Zekrom. Its speed stat, entirely by chance, was one below the stat the Zekrom I wanted had; its Intimidate lowered Zekrom's Slash's power; its typing made it immune to half of Zekrom's attacks; and its Mud Slap did a useful amount of damage to whittle it into the red, whilst also reducing Zekrom's accuracy with every hit.

I need some advice about the scythers i’ve bred on pearl the old school way and hoping to trade to my black to complete the post e4 section.

Hp/at/def/spA/spD/speed

Scyther 1 female adamant tech 31/31/24/31/31/13
Scyther 2 male adamant techni 14/31/30/31/31/21

Which one is superior for a bulky SD’s set? I’ve bred them on pearl so I won’t have access to bug bite, is x scizor an acceptable replacement or should I hold out until I get hg/ss?

Thanks for the help
1st one. Scizor's speed is mostly a non-issue as the only thing you really need to outspeed are Ttar, Ferrothorn etc which you do anyway. On the other hand you might need the extra points in bulk to survive multiple neutral and resisted hits along with weak hp fires and set up swords dances.

All this was assuming you want to run a bulky sd set for scizor lol, if its for scyther either one will do

1st one. Scizor's speed is mostly a non-issue as the only thing you really need to outspeed are Ttar, Ferrothorn etc which you do anyway. On the other hand you might need the extra points in bulk to survive multiple neutral and resisted hits along with weak hp fires and set up swords dances.

All this was assuming you want to run a bulky sd set for scizor lol, if its for scyther either one will do
Wouldn't you want higher speed for scyther? But I agree the first one is probably better for a scizor.

Showsni: Rhetorically speaking, what speed stat would a 31-IV Zekrom have when one catches it?

Wouldn't you want higher speed for scyther? But I agree the first one is probably better for a scizor.
Considering its a "bulky" sd set, speed is mostly a non-issue as you won't be using many speed evs. Even then, both those scyther fail to outspeed base 100 speed mons and above while outspeeding base 95 ones.

On the contrary, Thunder didn't miss once in all the 10 hours I used Galvantula. Bug + Electric STAB has really useful coverage (Flying, water, psychic, dark especially), especially considering the high BP of Bug Buzz and Thunder, making him one of the most valuable members of my team. The best special attacker ingame IMO.
Well if your Galvantula comes with Compound Eyes then of course Thunder will always hit.

Mine has Unnerve so I stick with Thunder Bolt for accuracy.

Sorry if this is common knowledge, but would I be correct in assuming that Pokemon Black and White are unable to utilize the 3D feature on a 3DS?

Sorry if this is common knowledge, but would I be correct in assuming that Pokemon Black and White are unable to utilize the 3D feature on a 3DS?
As Paul567(welcome to Smogon btw) said, you are correct. BW just doesn't have that fancy 3d stuff.

Compound Eyes only boosts it by 10% iirc.
Even with it, it can miss.
nope.

CompoundEyes is a 33% boost. Thunder is 91% accurate with CompoundEyes.
nope. if it was a 33% boost, Thunder would've been 93% accurate.

Compound Eyes is a 30% boost to the original value. 70×1.3 = 91.(21% boost)
Fissure with compoundEyes would become 30×1.3=39.(9% boost) So the amount the accuracy is boosted depends on the original accuracy.

I hate my luck....so much!

I'm breeding a Jolly drillbur now and got this:

14-15/31/31/19/31/0-1

I got so excited too when the judge reported the attack, defense and special defense to be 31s.
Theres a judge in the game that tells you IVs? O_o Where is the judge?

Showsni: Rhetorically speaking, what speed stat would a 31-IV Zekrom have when one catches it?
With a neutral nature, 110. With a positive nature, 121. With a negative nature, 99. (Assuming my calculations are correct.)

Hm, this should be interesting... Now that I've finished the game, I'll see what the IV guy says about my in game team!

Emboar: Decent all round, very good Defence.
Stoutland: Above average overall, Defence can't be better.
Lilligant: Above average overall, Defence can't be better.
Krookodile: Above average overall, Attack can't be better.
Reuniclus: Above average overall, HP can't be better.
Swanna: Above average overall, Defence is fantastic.

Huh, had no idea my Pokémon were all so defensive... Well, actually I could tell from the characteristic. Swanna must have a 26 stat in Defence...

Alright, I just go to Icirrus City. In the mines before then there is a pokeball that I can see but I can't get to as well as 2 items that show up on the dowsing machine that I can't get too. I've gone through the mines twice now and I can't find a way to get to any of them! Am I just missing something or do I have to wait till later in the game to get them?

Hmm, I thought that the 30% from Compound Eyes adds to the base 70% giving 100% accuracy. My bad.

I beat White the other day, here was my team:
- Emboar (bulldoze, hammer arm, workup, heat crash)
- Galvantua (volt switch, thunder bolt, signal beam, sucker punch)
- Jellicent (will-o-wisp, surf, shadow ball, recover)
- Ferrothorn (curse, power whip, iron head, strength)
- Excadrill ( sword dance, rock slide, earthquake, x-scissor )
- Reunicles (recover, shadow ball, focus blast, psyshock)

All my guys were level 52ish going in to the elite four and I struggled quite a bit with them and Ghetsis. However, I found N to be pretty easy. Jellicent walled his Reshiram like a champ!

You must have some terrible luck. With compound eyes, thunder is 91% accurate.
Oops, I forgot about compoundeyes :-S (I haven't used Galvantula; I have Thunder on Victini, but of course the Victory Star boost is much less than the Compoundeyes one. Even so, IIRC I had it miss 5 times in a row once, to my knowledge no evasion boosts around, which at 77% accuracy is a 1 in 1500 chance, so yeah I guess I do have some terrible luck.)

Theres a judge in the game that tells you IVs? O_o Where is the judge?
This.

And I spent allll yesterday breeding a Zubat with a 31 Atk IV Farfetch'd that I caught and ended up with a really good IV spread of about 26/31/25/13/25/24. That speed IV is not amazing but I got real aggravated and just gave up when I had those decent stats and an Adamant nature.

My current team is

Conkeldurr
Galvantula
Excadrill
Samurott
Sigilyph
Litwick

I cant decide it I want to replace anyone if I'm able to catch a dragon pokemon, I'm currently at the 7th gym?

So, so, I just went to Route 17 to find a sage, and went fishing randomly for the hell of it afterwards. First thing I fish up, a Horsea. Sure, why not, Kingdra's a bro.

Hasty Nature. Not bad, I like my Kingdra mixed. And the IVs? 14/27/19/31/24/31. I'm pretty happy with that too. Ability? Sniper... *sigh* *gets breeding*

Alright, I just go to Icirrus City. In the mines before then there is a pokeball that I can see but I can't get to as well as 2 items that show up on the dowsing machine that I can't get too. I've gone through the mines twice now and I can't find a way to get to any of them! Am I just missing something or do I have to wait till later in the game to get them?
You can only get those items in winter.

So, so, I just went to Route 17 to find a sage, and went fishing randomly for the hell of it afterwards. First thing I fish up, a Horsea. Sure, why not, Kingdra's a bro.

Hasty Nature. Not bad, I like my Kingdra mixed. And the IVs? 14/27/19/31/24/31. I'm pretty happy with that too. Ability? Sniper... *sigh* *gets breeding*
Those kind of experiences just seem to cement the existence of Murphy's Law in my opinion. I had a similar ordeal when breeding Mienfoo. It was triple flawless in attack, HP, and speed and wouldn't you know it was inner focus instead of regenerate... Oh well, at least you've got great breeding material now!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)