Ninetales

WHy would earth power be any help ? The problem is his rather sucky typing and it lose match up and lose in term of usefulness to weather summoners. Earth power wont 2HKO tyranitar.

For SS, Ttar has many weakness but he has massive movepool, power and versatility not to mention all rounded stats not named speed.

Hippo has high physcial defense and good special defense backed with modest attack. Also he has STAB EQ which is the most central move in the whole game in all five generation(maybe except 1). In fact hippo can wall some weaker SE special move and able to wall neutral life orbed base 80 power special attack from base 130.

Toed while a bit bad, has bulky stats and get blessing of being a water. Its a metagame general rule that by being a water that can distinct itself from the other in addition of working well, it will become standard. It also have some great movepool.

ABomasnow is just underestimated. Its a great anti meta pokemon and have great movepool despite popular belief. Its nearly in same boat as Ttar in quality term. Has good movepool, enough stats, and a bit versatile. Its probably your best shot at using for resetting weather since he has perfect SE coverage on every weather sweeper and most weather sweeper dont like taking his massive base power move.

Ninetales has enough stats and a bit great versatility. But it weak to SR. He has quite powerful attack but it cant lead well since it lose to every weather sweeper in right situation most of the time. In particular, he has 60 % chance of winning against every summoner. But when taking offensive route, it cant beat any of them. Even ninetales best shot at using SE move on them is at worst OHKO. Example energy ball 3HKO hippo. Its also the most fragile. Basicly if you wonder why sun isnt popular, the reason is ninetales.

nope tahts just conclusion #1 the conclusion #2 is.... dum dum dum
Use breelom on sun team. im serious. Breelom can get free sub or spore their inducer. Why no one get that nice idea i never know.

That is actually true. Barring Politoed's Ice Beam, Breloom can easily switch in on TTar/Hippo and Toed. Ninetales can, barring Earthquake, switch in safely on Abomasnow. There's a good thought.

That is actually true. Barring Politoed's Ice Beam, Breloom can easily switch in on TTar/Hippo and Toed. Ninetales can, barring Earthquake, switch in safely on Abomasnow. There's a good thought.
Do you want to fill me in on when Politoed suddenly became incapable of using Psychic?
Oh wait it hasn't.
Breloom can switch on toad like once to boot anyways, considering how hard toad hits it with double stab surf or hydropump. Worse if it's spectoad.

alphatron

Volt turn in every tier! I'm in despair!
Spore aside, I personally find Virizion to be a much better switch in than breloom (Politoed carries psychic how often? I've seen it but it's pretty friggin rare). There's also Gastrodon and Kerudio, once released. Virizion in particular threatens all of the enemy weather changers out, including Abomasnow. Being walled by Gliscor aside, Swords Dance sets are just as effective as calm mind sets. Virizion also has the ability to kill things that annoy sun teams, such as heatran with relative ease.

So Virizion is an admirable partner. As for Ninetales herself...I've got this crazy idea of running sunny day on a bulky tales set. It wouldn't help against T-tar and Hippo very much, but it would allow you to beatdown Politoed at least. Meh...might try Calm Mind/Rest tales in the future.

Jumpluff with Chloraphil is pretty good with Drought too isn't it? :o making it a super fast seed/spore pokemon XD

and jumpluff is immune to ground move too right? which nintales is weak against XD

Jumpluff is indeed good, but has to be careful not to be outclassed by Whimsicott.

Anyway, it seems Tales has finally found its role in the meta, when initially it was being touted as the worst of all inducers - and now a few people gave one of the reasons they nominated Drought as "Tales has found ways to deal with TTar etc".

Defensive seems the way to go in the current meta, since Tales' attacks barring her STAB are too weak to cause much damage even with a NP. Luckily access to WoW, Toxic and Hypnosis along with Disable and Power Swap make for some mean supporting sets, and Sub or Rest can be utilised to either beat her key counters or survive for longer than TTar and Toed, who lack recovery.

When initially I saw Tales as a deadweight, she's really evolved into a valuable supporter for me at least, in terms of her movesets, which I'm very pleased about.

if ur using jumpluff, make sure u take advantage of sleep powder, since its one of the few things pluff can do that whimiscott cant

Can Ninetales sporting Solar Beam and S.Atak spec'd OHKO some of the more common water pokemons???

Also, how is a Flame Charge Ninetales with max S.Atk and Speed using a focus sash? It'll give Ninetales a small speed boost then proceed to try to sweep with like STAB+Sunny Fireblast?

if ur using jumpluff, make sure u take advantage of sleep powder, since its one of the few things pluff can do that whimiscott cant
that's like the ONLY thing Jumpluff can do that Whimiscott can't right? Barring that Jumpluff is immune to ground XD

other than that, it seems Whimiscott outclasses Jumpluff in everyway?

NEVER use Solar beam in ninetales, it's a great attack with the sun and everything but makes you damn easy to kill, Politoed or Tyranitar can came easily and you'll be traped so they can earthquake you or surf you away, not worth the 40 extra BP from Energy ball

Can Ninetales sporting Solar Beam and S.Atak spec'd OHKO some of the more common water pokemons???
The problem with that is, that if there is any weather other than Sun (half of the time), you're screwed with a 60 BP move. Specs shouldn't even be considered, since being Choiced into it would be horrible, allowing threats like Tyranitar or Excadrill in SS to set up.

Also, how is a Flame Charge Ninetales with max S.Atk and Speed using a focus sash? It'll give Ninetales a small speed boost then proceed to try to sweep with like STAB+Sunny Fireblast?

that's like the ONLY thing Jumpluff can do that Whimiscott can't right? Barring that Jumpluff is immune to ground XD

other than that, it seems Whimiscott outclasses Jumpluff in everyway?
Tales still can't OHKO some of the bulkier water mons with Solarbeam. Specs isn't worth it - it just makes its non-STAB attacks hit as hard as a typical special attackers without any boosting item.

Flame Charge is an awful tactic for Tales - if a Tran or TTar comes in you're done for no matter what. NP is better and that isn't great by any means. Focus Sash just isn't great on anything not leading.

Pluff has a faster U-Turn (in Sun) than Whim does as well as Sleep Powder. It also gets Memento or Aromatherapy (one of the two, can't remember) which Whimsicott lacks. The Ground immunity also helps a lot on teams with Tran for example.

what you guys think of Overheat+Powerswap on Droughtales and then equip like Fire Gem on it... wouldn't that make Overheat really really strong? O_o

if you manage to OHKO something the first turn you can proceed to power swap on whatever they switched in? Ninetales' atk stats are pretty mediocre, and that would make it an ideal powerswap right? XD and you can Overheat again with THEIR stats XD

what you guys think of Overheat+Powerswap on Droughtales and then equip like Fire Gem on it... wouldn't that make Overheat really really strong? O_o

if you manage to OHKO something the first turn you can proceed to power swap on whatever they switched in? Ninetales' atk stats are pretty mediocre, and that would make it an ideal powerswap right? XD and you can Overheat again with THEIR stats XD
Power Swap and Overheat is an alright idea - the added accuracy and power from Fire Blast is nice, and being able to cripple SpAtkers who come into you is very nice as well as having WoW to hit physical ones. The main issue is that it takes 2 turns to pull off, so any faster SpAtker who comes in will be hitting you at full power before you can cripple it - and then it can just switch out, especially if its a DM Latios.

What it is very useful for are the Volcarona who like to lead when they see you - you can actually beat them if you Overheat - Power Swap - Overheat again, as you'll steal their offensive boosts and make them virtually harmless.

Fire Gem is a poor idea, since Tales' survivability is key so Lefties works better. In any case, her Fire attacks aren't the ones that need the boost, everything else is. so using it isn't a good idea.

alphatron

If you absolutely must use a set up move on droughtales (and I wouldn't dare), then stick with calm mind. Using Nasty plot is asking to be dissapointed (timid Max spA Ninetales doesn't even ohko some starmie variants with a +2). CM/Rest works provided that you've eliminated anything that could potentially come in to stop you. Provided that the things that can do this are usually all six pokemon on my opponent's team, I just stick with a support moveset.

Am I the only one who misses pain split as far as droughttales and move tutor moves go?

I like LO+Nasty Plot, since it has a surprising amount of power.

Ninetales @ Life Orb
252 SpAtk/252 Spe/4 SpDef
Timid / Drought

Nasty Plot
Fire Blast
SolarBeam
HP Fighting/Earth Power/HP Ice

Rather than thinking its only niche is in support, he can be a self-sufficient sweeper. If you wear down Tyranitar a bit before you throw Tales into the game, he does (69.31% - 82.18%) with +2 Hidden Power to 252/252 calm Ttar, the most defensive version possible, which means with a bit of residual damage you can eliminate the damn bastard and go for a sweep. It can also 1hko 252/252 calm Jellicent with SolarBeam after SR with Life Orb, which spells a similar fate for any other bulky water that allows you to set up on them. It still outspeeds Genesect and slower with the imperfect Speed IV too, so anything slower (Gliscor/Hydregion/Haxorus) are all outsped and are all 1hko'ed by a +2 sunny Fire Blast. HP Ice hits stuff like Dragonite harder, while Earth Power covers other Fire-types. Spin support is important, as with LO eating at its health as well he really is put on a timer if he also has to switch into entry hazards. Ironically enough I think SD+Spin Excadrill is a good partner for Ninetales, since if you fail to change the weather to your advantage you can still sweep out of sandstorm, and you can get a spin off vs. most stall teams that Ninetales can muscle through.

Has anyone tried a gimmick moveset with fire spin and hypnosis, perhaps? Though I guess that leaves you with few moveslots left and not much is really scared of being trapped with ninetales.

lmitchell0012

Wi-Fi Blacklisted
I like LO+Nasty Plot, since it has a surprising amount of power.

Ninetales @ Life Orb
252 SpAtk/252 Spe/4 SpDef
Timid / Drought

Nasty Plot
Fire Blast
SolarBeam
HP Fighting/Earth Power/HP Ice

Rather than thinking its only niche is in support, he can be a self-sufficient sweeper. If you wear down Tyranitar a bit before you throw Tales into the game, he does (69.31% - 82.18%) with +2 Hidden Power to 252/252 calm Ttar, the most defensive version possible, which means with a bit of residual damage you can eliminate the damn bastard and go for a sweep. It can also 1hko 252/252 calm Jellicent with SolarBeam after SR with Life Orb, which spells a similar fate for any other bulky water that allows you to set up on them. It still outspeeds Genesect and slower with the imperfect Speed IV too, so anything slower (Gliscor/Hydregion/Haxorus) are all outsped and are all 1hko'ed by a +2 sunny Fire Blast. HP Ice hits stuff like Dragonite harder, while Earth Power covers other Fire-types. Spin support is important, as with LO eating at its health as well he really is put on a timer if he also has to switch into entry hazards. Ironically enough I think SD+Spin Excadrill is a good partner for Ninetales, since if you fail to change the weather to your advantage you can still sweep out of sandstorm, and you can get a spin off vs. most stall teams that Ninetales can muscle through.

Ninetails doesn't get earth power...

Katakiri

Listen, Brendan...
is a Researcher Alumnus
Ninetails doesn't get earth power...
Thank you!

Ninetales (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Drought
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Overheat
- Energy Ball
- Safeguard
- Power Swap

My personal set. If you wanna piss off all those bulky Waters & Chansey that switch into Ninetales constantly, use Safeguard. It's really overlooked. A guaranteed 5 turns of being immune to status with Sun up is just amazing and a half to most teams. By the time the Safeguard is over, after switching-out, you have 3 turns to set-up and sweep status free. Get that Venusaur or Garchomp to +6 Offense in those 3 turns for all I care. Rotom-W & Jellicent can't burn your Garchomp and has their Hydro Pump & Scald weakened by the Sun, Chansey can only Seismic Toss you, Thundurus can't Thunder Wave you, your entire team becomes immune to Toxic Spikes, the whole Safeguard package is just ideal in this metagame. By now, everyone knows that status is EVERYWHERE this Gen. So you can imagine how awesome it is to not have to worry about it even just for a few turns.

If it existed, I would honestly run a Safeguard extension item over Leftovers because 8 turns of immunity would be amazing!

tl;dr: Safeguard is a good filler option.

alphatron

I agree. Safeguard is a good option for some of the things that try to take advantage of Ninetales. The match before I switched to calm mind sigilph, I actually fought you. I wasn't really paying attention, so when Ninetales switched in as I was using cosmic power, switched out to bisharp as I kept using cosmic power, I felt pretty ridiculous when I tried to psycho shift the burn over to him only to have it fail thanks to safegaurd. Honestly I laughed at myself (and I quit the match immeadiately) because it works and I didn't take it seriously.

It doesn't solve the problem of Tyranitar and Politoed though.

lmitchell0012

Wi-Fi Blacklisted
I agree. Safeguard is a good option for some of the things that try to take advantage of Ninetales. The match before I switched to calm mind sigilph, I actually fought you. I wasn't really paying attention, so when Ninetales switched in as I was using cosmic power, switched out to bisharp as I kept using cosmic power, I felt pretty ridiculous when I tried to psycho shift the burn over to him only to have it fail thanks to safegaurd. Honestly I laughed at myself (and I quit the match immeadiately) because it works and I didn't take it seriously.

It doesn't solve the problem of Tyranitar and Politoed though.
Will o wisp will make tyranitar think twice about switching into you. Politoed isn't really bothered by will o wisp, but he doesn't want to switch into a nasty plot boosted energy ball either.

Ninetails @ Air Balloon
Ability: Drought
Nature: Timid
252 SpD/252 Spe

Will-o-Wisp
Toxic
Energy Ball
Fire Blast/Fire Spin

this can be a valuable support set paired with a Water Absorber or someone with Rock resist.

Dry Skin Toxicroak can be a good partner

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)