All 5th Gen OU team

Introduction: I decided to try to build an all 5th gen team, because I wanted to try out some of the new pokemon and thought it would be fun. I may move away from all 5th gen at some point, but right now I want to stick to it. My team has been doing really well, and the only things that seem to give me troubles are Substitute, especially Spore/Sub Breloom. I just don't have anything for it and can't figure out what to do to cover it.

Team At A Glance:

The Team In Detail:

Dwebble @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 196 HP / 252 Attk / 60 Speed
Nature: Adamant
Stealth Rock
Spikes
X-Scissor
Stone Edge

Dwebble is the setup man. He's guaranteed to get at least Stealth Rock up, but he has also knocked out his fair share of pokemon with X-Scissor and Stone Edge. The Speed EV's are to be able to setup more on other slow pokemon. Dwebble has performed better for me than Forretress ever did, which is crazy for me to admit.

Chandelure @ Life Orb
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Special Attack / 242 Speed
Nature: Modest
Fire Blast
Psychic
Energy Ball
Shadow Ball

Chandelure is one of my utility pokemon. With an incredibly high Special Attack, the ability to block Rapid Spinners, and very good Speed, Chandelure can burn through almost anything. Most surprising to me is that Chandelure can survive a Payback from Conkeldurr even after taking LO damage. Even with all this going for it, the two common Rapid Spinners can kill Chandelure off if they survive an attack (Forretress with EQ and Tentacruel with it's STAB Water attack). I'm considering a different pokemon here, but Chandelure does provide some nice coverage.

Virizion @ Leftovers
Ability: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Attack / 252 Speed
Swords Dance
Close Combat
Leaf Blade
Stone Edge

Virizion has been surprisingly good for me. I figured it would be a solid revenge killer or maybe get through a few pokemon after a swords dance. However, there have been many times where I sacrificed my Dwebble then put out Virizion against something it had Supper Effective typing on. I can set up a Swords Dance and survive their attack or (more typically) while they switch out. With that one Swords Dance, Virizion has the capability to sweep through just about everything.

Samurott @ Mystic Water
Ability: Torrent
IV's: 252 HP / 252 Special Attack / 4 Special Defense
Nature: Modest
Scald
Ice Beam
Aqua Jet
Dragon Tail

Samurott is here to provide some Ice Beam and Water Support. I opted for Scald for the potential to burn, but since Samurott is slow, I'm considering going back to Surf and a -Speed Nature. Samurott also provides some nice shuffling ability to run opponents into Stealth Rock and Spikes while dealing extra damage with Dragon Tail. I think Samurott is probably my weakest link, but I'm not sure how I should improve it.

Krookodile @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EV's: 4 HP / 252 Attack / 252 Speed
Earthquake
Pursuit
Crunch
Stone Edge

Krookodile is one of my revenge killers which takes no damage from two types. This provides him extra potential to switch in without a sacrifice and without taking any damage. One of my favorite moments was when someone was trying to figure out how Krookodile out sped their Weaville. I'm considering switching to Jolly nature and Moxie ability, but I haven't tested either out yet.

Elektross @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EV's: 252 HP / 252 Special Attack / 4 Defense
Nature: Quiet
Acid Spray
Thunderbolt
Flamethrower
Dragon Tail

Elektross is SLOW! That is why I opted for the -Speed nature, because I don't think it hurts him. It surprises me how many people aren't aware that Elektross has levitate. It also lets me switch into ground attacks, which is nice. Acid Spray to reduce Special Defense, Dragon Tail for some shuffling, STAB Thunderbolt, and Flamethrower for some coverage provide quiet the beast.

Closing:
That's my team. It's worked quite well, but Substitute is able to set up on it. Breloom can out speed the counters I have for it, Spore them, and then setup. I'm looking for some areas of improvement, and how to go about them. Also, advice on how to prevent getting set up on by Subs.

First of all with Virizion, I would suggest you ditch Adamant, because you want it to sweep after a swords dance so it already will have really good attack, but your main problem will be getting outsped (especially with the frequency of choice scarfs and fire attacks to counter Ferrothorn that could one hit you in the metagame). As for your Samurott, I would suggest replacing it with a Jellicent. I'll edit this if/when I get a specific Jellicent set that I think would work the best for you, I'll experiment with some variations on them first. I say this because it will make it so you can more easily counter the rapid spinners which give you trouble by now having an immunity to both the STAB water attacks and Earthquake (Eelektross) that threaten Chandelure. Finally, I would suggest Aerial Ace on Krookodile instead of Crunch. This allows you to have a solid breloom counter (it will want to come in on the Krookodile, most people wouldn't be able to resist sending in a grass fighting against a ground dark, especially when it could survive your stab attacks), and crunch won't really do much for you if Krookodile is for revenge killing and you already have Pursuit.

no steel on your team means latios / chomp gonna have fun spamming an unresisted stab ^^

so ferrthorn instead of dweble would be fine .

good luck

I would suggest Pain Split over Energy Ball on Chandelure. Frankly, Energy Ball doesn't give it much coverage it can't smack with a strong Shadow Ball. Pain Split should help with healing off Life Orb damage, so suddenly Chandelure is twice as survivable after it was on low health.
In place of Samurott, I'd suggest something like this:
Bisharp @ Life Orb
252 HP/ 252 Atk / 4 Def
Sucker Punch
Brick Break
Substitute
Swords Dance

The idea behind this is simple. Substitute on something that doesn't threaten you, Swords Dance as they break your sub, then Sucker Punch them. Brick Break is there for neutral coverage, but isn't used very often. These set's counters, like Excadrill and Roopushin, are countered well by Eelektross and Chandelure, respectively.

Yeah choose Jolly/Timid over Adamant/Modest for outspeeding and Id replace Psychic with HP Ice on Chandelure

An btw leave energy ball on Chandelure for Swampert/Bulky Waters so you dont have to use Virizon earlier than you need

Yeah choose Jolly/Timid over Adamant/Modest for outspeeding and Id replace Psychic with HP Ice on Chandelure
I would say without Psychic on Chandelure, how will he take down a massive threat like Roopushin that he can't OHKO with Shadow Ball?

I'm liking the aerial ace idea. However, how would I use it? With scarf, the crok is locked into whatever. The problem comes when breloom switches in off a faint, uses spore, then sub. Even if I switch off the spore, sub is up and he can spore from behind it and heal with toxic orb. Maybe this is just me not being a good enough player to figure out how to beat that breloom.

Sleep Clause =0. can only put 1 pokemon to sleep at a time. So it won't be sporing again after sub is up it can only attack. sacrifice dwebble to sleep and bring something else that can handle breloom.

Chandelure doesn't need pyschic for coverage on only fighting. Special bulk conkeldurr won't be 1hit ko by a non-stab pyschic when alakazam/reuniclus can't even 1hit ko w/o being specs.
Also to the person who said SD chandelure why waste 140 base spatk for a turn to set up a low basic attack.... What is the point in that=0? Chandelure is much too frail for that

Since you want all 5th gen pokemon try Sesmitoad as it has same typing of a swampert/quagsire. I would replace samurott with quagsire (unaware of course). I dunno moveset for a sesmitoad though=0.

What I was thinking with the Aerial Ace was that you would send out the krookodile early game, and then if there's a breloom it could get lured out. If you have problems with it switching in and sporing things, and don't even want to lose one to sleep, krookodile has a guarantee of outspeeding breloom (there is no way you will run into a scarfed breloom), and if given a berry to wake it up once, should suffice. Of course, then your revenge killing would be a bit more limited. If you still are experiencing problems with brelooms with your current team set though, I'd suggest being more conservative with Chandy, because that is a good one to bring in on it(come in on a zero effect focus punch, fire STAB, etc).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)