First Ever RMT - Gen V OU

Hey all, this is my first ever RMT, so be gentle!

I've loved Tyranitar since I saw it, so I knew that I had to build a Sandstorm team, especially after seeing how many great additions to it Gen V brought. I have never really broken into Pokemon competitively though, so hopefully I am not too far off of base and I can get a good tune up!

The Team:

Tyranitar @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Atk
Nature: Sassy (+SpD -Spe)
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Ice Beam

My lovely lead sets up Stealth Rock and Sandstorm for the team, takes advantage of the generous Special Defense boost of Sandstorm, as well as packing a bit of offensive punch with STAB Stone Edge and Crunch. Ice Beam gives him a bit more coverage. I've considered replacing Leftovers with a Chople Berry so he can take more than one Fighting hit, and also possibly replacing Crunch with Pursuit so he can catch fleeing Ghosts and Psychics.

Excadrill @ Air Balloon
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 HP
Nature: Jolly (+Spe -SpA)
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- X-Scissor
- Swords Dance

I know, I know, everyone and their mother runs an Excadrill just like this guy, but he is just too tempting for me to pass up. Air Balloon so he can switch into an Earthquake aimed at my TTar and clean up from there. I love this little mole.

Gengar @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 HP
Nature: Timid (+Spe -Atk)
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Substitute
- Disable

This guy has absolute perfect synergy with Tyranitar, he is immune or resistant to all of his major weaknesses, so I can rest easy knowing that I can switch him into anything that is aimed at my big beastie and he will do fine and clean up the mess. Sub Disable is just too much fun now that Disable has had an accuracy boost, and he gets perfect coverage with the standard Shadow Ball / Focus Blast combo.

Hydreigon @ Choice Specs
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 HP
Nature: Timid (+Spe -Atk)
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Surf
- Dragon Pulse

My nasty Special Sweeper on the team. He has just oodles of hurt with Choice Specs, and I haven't seen anything that can reliably take a Draco Meteor from him and keep on smiling. I've considered rebreeding him in order to get Dark Pulse over Dragon Pulse, but having a backup Dragon move that doesn't cripple him has been nice.

Ferrothorn @ Rocky Helmet/Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Def
Nature: Relaxed (+Def -Spe)
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball
- Spikes
- Leech Seed

My Special (yet still surprisingly still Physical) Wall. He sets up Spikes, he punishes things that touch him, and can bring the hurt with STAB Power Whip and Gyro Ball, which almost always hits like a Mack Truck because of his barely there Speed. Leech Seed so he can have some recovery. I switch between Rocky Helmet and Leftovers because even though Ferrothorn needs reliable recovery wherever he can get it, I just love the punishment that Iron Barbs and Rocky Helmet gives, often times dealing more damage to them than they deal to me just with recoil.

Skarmory @ Shed Shell
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Nature: Impish (+Def -SpA)
- Roost
- Whirlwind
- Taunt
- Brave Bird

I'm excited to try out Skarmory on this team. As Da Vinci pointed out I needed something to counter threats that were or had aleady been setting up, so Skarmory with Whirlwind seems to fit this team nicely. Since Ferrothorn already has Spikes, I can give this birdie Taunt for some extra annoyance on anything trying to set up.

Changes in italics!

Thanks in advance all!

Hydreigon's surf is my only problem here.Its ability minuses its attack, but surf is a attack move. Thats all i can point out yet.

Did you already took a look at the biggest threats? I would really suggest that. Also i would think of something to kill pokes that boost their stats, especially speed and attack. I've fought many times against a team like this and when my gyara have set up 2 dd's, they almost always are sweeped totally. So i would suggest you to put Skarmory in it, as it's a great Wall, it haves no Sandstorm damage and he can use Whirlwind/Roar for pokes like gyara.

Did you already took a look at the biggest threats? I would really suggest that. Also i would think of something to kill pokes that boost their stats, especially speed and attack. I've fought many times against a team like this and when my gyara have set up 2 dd's, they almost always are sweeped totally. So i would suggest you to put Skarmory in it, as it's a great Wall, it haves no Sandstorm damage and he can use Whirlwind/Roar for pokes like gyara.
Thanks! I've been taking a look at the biggest threats and most of that list I have at least some sort of answer to I believe.

I swapped out Gligar for Skarmory, and I am excited to give it a test and see how it works!

AB2

is an absolute ape
is a Team Rater Alumnus
Hey, this is a nice team although you have some issues that you need to sort out. First of all Trick Room Reuniclus has the potential to sweep your team cleanly. It lures in your checks such as Gengar and can Trick Room to set up on the switch, forcing you to pivot stall or lose a few team members in the process. You're also quite weak to fighting types in general. Although Skarm gives them some sort of trouble, Pokemon such as Conkeldurr and Breloom are nothing to be messed around with, especially if they are not really afraid of Skarmory in the slightest bit. To be honest, I'd try and get a pokemon that can take on fighting pokemon, especially since you lack proper fighting resists on this team, which is not very good in this metagame. I'd test Slowbro over Skarmory, since to be honest Skarmory is complete dead weight because of the entry hazards being on Ferrathorn. Not to mention, Ferrathorn solves your Gyarados problem completely, as Gyarados can't really do much in return to you. I would try this set on Slowbro as it can take on most fighting types that you come across:

Slowbro @ Leftovers
Relaxed 252 HP | 252 Def | 4 SpA Regenerator
Scald | Fire Blast | Ice Beam | Slack Off

As for your Trick Room Reuniclus weakness, I'd try a Wish + Body Slam Jirachi with more special defense invested. This will allow you to take many more hits from Reuniclus and weaken it to the point where it is easily taken down by another team member. Jirachi is also an excellent wish passer, making it so that your team can stay healthy throughout the match.

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Careful 252 HP | 216 SpD | 40 Spe Serene Grace
Wish | Body Slam | Iron Head | Fire Punch

Also, you might want to try and run Air Balloon on Tyranitar, this will allow you take out Gliscor with Ice Beam, as it can be a nuisance for your team.

Good Luck.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)