I'm going to repost my Cloyster problems from a few pages ago:

I'm using the following Cloyster in super singles:

Cloyster @ Focus Sash
Jolly, 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 HP
- Shell Smash
- Icicle Spear
- Rock Blast
- Razor Shell

I realized Jolly + 252 is a bit much, as it outspeeds everything in the subway (after a Smash) with just 224 EVs. So I'm thinking of replacing it and I came up with two alternatives.

1) Adamant, 252 Atk / 244 Spe / 12 HP / 4 Def
This will hit harder, but there are two Pokemon that can outspeed it (Scarf Entei and Scarf Manectric).

2) Jolly, 252 Atk / 224 Spe / 28 HP / 4 Def
This one throws the useless EVs of my current Cloyster into HP and Def to make it a bit bulkier. Will this be useful? My current Cloyster often Smashes as it takes the hit with Focus Sash, so it doesn't really need its bulkyness.

Any ideas on which spread I should use? Should I just stick to the current one?
I'm still not sure on what to do, but I'm leaning toward the Adamant one. I usually carry a Garchomp with me in the Subway and it should be able to take the two faster Scarfers.

So, after much consideration, I'm thinking of using this team.

Swellow w/Toxic Orb
Guts
Jolly Nature
4 HP/ 252 Atk/ 252 Spe
-Brave Bird
-Facade
-U-Turn
-Protect

Empoleon w/Leftovers
Torrent
Modest Nature
16 HP/ 252 SpA/ 240 Spe
-Agility
-Surf
-Ice Beam
-Grass Knot

Torterra w/Shell Bell or Lum Berry or Sitrus Berry
Overgrow
Adamant Nature
252 Atk/ 4 SpD/ 252 Spe
-Rock Polish
-Earthquake
-Wood Hammer
-Rock Slide/Stone Edge

Swellow is there to wreck shit off the bat until it gets threatened by a Steel, Rock, or a faster mon. Empoleon resists Ice, Rock, and Steel, and Torterra is immune to Electric and is reasonably bulky enough to switch into a Fighting attack if Empoleon is threatened, though hopefully most Fighting types would be wrecked by Swellow by the time its run is done. Honestly, I'd use Poison Heal Gliscor instead, but since that's not possible now (for me), Torterra will have to do.

Any potential problems?

Edit: I'm also considering using a Eviolite Pain Split Dusclops instead of Torterra, but the reason why I listed Torterra instead is because I'm wary of Electric attacks, and I dunno how well Eviolite 208 HP/ 252 SPD Dusclops would handle, say, Jolteon's Thunder.

Head Smash Archeops, SD Feraligtr, Garchomp (out speeds you), and Haxorus off the top of my head
Archeops can be dealt with by either Empoleon or Torterra (mostly Empoleon, unless it's packing EQ); dunno how bad SD Feraligatr is especially if Empoleon can outspeed it with one Agility; Garchomp again can be dealt with by Agility Empoleon, or if Swellow is still alive it'll get wrecked by Facade; and ditto with Haxorus.

I'm going to repost my Cloyster problems from a few pages ago:

I'm still not sure on what to do, but I'm leaning toward the Adamant one. I usually carry a Garchomp with me in the Subway and it should be able to take the two faster Scarfers.
My Cloyster was identical in nature, EVs and moves. Your best bet is to replace Razor Shell with Surf. With my Cloyster's stats (his atk/SpA IVs are 31/19), I calculated that after 1 shell break, Razor Shell and Surf broke even when the SpDef of the defending Pokemon was 70% or less of the physical Defense.

And since the only Pokemon you should use surf on are steel types, I looked up the stats of all of the steel types in the game. Almost all of them have base stats that suggest Surf works better, many by a large margin. The exceptions, if I recall correctly, were Bronzong, Jirachi (which you shouldn't see), Probopass and Empoleon (which completely walls Cloyster). There might be others, but Surf is by far the superior choice.

Hydro Pump might be even better, but it's too late for my Cloyster to learn it and I don't trust the Battle Subway enough to have a move with less than 100% accuracy if I can help it.

(EDIT: Caveats -- I didn't account for EVs, IVs or Natures of opposing Pokemon. But often, physically defensive Pokemon will focus their EVs and Nature toward defense, making Surf more advantageous. Also, Razor Shell has a chance of lowering Defense. This may be helpful in some circumstances, but I can't think of them.)

Is it possible to get a successful Singles team using only Pokemon found in the game itself? I ask because I lost my Platinum cartridge (which had Pokerus on it :( ), and I recently restarted my SS cartridge and really don't want to play through the whole game again.

Can anyone suggest a third member for me?

Samurott@ Choice Specs
Modest Nature
Torrent
252 HP / 252 SAtk / 6 Def
- HP Electric
- Ice Beam
- Grass Knot
- Surf

Landorus@ Life Orb
Naive Nature
Sand Force
252 Atk / 252 Spd / 6 SAtk
- Rock Polish
- Stone Edge
- HP Ice
- Earthquake

Is it possible to get a successful Singles team using only Pokemon found in the game itself? I ask because I lost my Platinum cartridge (which had Pokerus on it :( ), and I recently restarted my SS cartridge and really don't want to play through the whole game again.
Definitely. I've made it to 35 with a Shell Break Cloyster (Shellders can be easily caught north of Undella Town), an Archeops, and my in-game Chandelure (Modest with decent IVs, but a haphazard EV spread). And that's with almost no strategy or planning.

So I got very far with this team, and I want to know what you guys think:

Chansey @ Eviolite

Natural Cure
Bold
Moves:
Wish
Protect
Toxic
Seismic Toss
252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Yeah I know how generic this is. All my pokes are like that, mostly. This Chansey is a boss. It takes Focus Blasts easily (which are SE in case you didn't know)! This guy really just needs support about Fighting moves, which isn't too hard. This is not an RMT, however, so I'll try to keep these little blurbs short.

Jellicent @ Leftovers

Bold
Water Absorb
Moves:
Scald
Will-o-wisp
Taunt
Recover
248 HP / 216 Def / 44 Spe
This guy is immune to Fighting and Water and resists Ice which make him stellar because my other pokes are weak to them. Taunt is huge here to make it so that the other poke can't just Rest and Curse up on me.

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb

Impish
Poison Heal
Moves:
Fling
Acrobat
Earthquake
Protect
252 HP / 184 Def / 72 Spe

This guy is obnoxious with Poison Heal and Protect to help stall out that poison. All my pokes are gimmicky, but they work.

So, what do you guys think? What are some counters to these guys? The only ones I've run into before are Guts Fighting types, like Conkeldurr and Machamp. It's too bad about the Item Clause that the Battle ______ always has. But, once you get around that, you're pretty much set.

Hi there,

Not sure if this is too much to ask or not, but I'm not too knowledgeable about team composition and such. In previous games I generally only did the random battle towers, but there is no such thing in this generation yet... =[

I'm trying to decide a decent battle tower group and have the following Pokemon to choose from, all EV trained with flawless or near flawless IVs. Any teams you guys can suggest that might do okay in the battle tower?

I've been trying combinations with Gengar, Vaporeon, Jolteon and Persian, but they seem rather frail. Last time I got walled by a Jellicent with Gengar, Vaporeon and Scizor =[

Pokemon I'd like to use:

Persian
Vaporeon
Roserade
Jolteon
Ninetails
Azumarill
Togekiss
Umbreon
Butterfree
Pikachu
Gengar
Froslass
Gardevoir

Pokemon I don't mind using:

Breloom
Scizor
Snorlax
Charizard
Latios
Lapras

Pokemon I don't want to use, but will if I have to:

Garchomp
Raikou
Ho-Oh
Dragonite
Tyranitar
Ninjask
Aerodactyl
Sharpedo
Electivire

I've been using Protect,sub,X,Pass Ninjask w/ Leftovers. Soooooo amazing. I have Machamp with a good coverage and Chandelure with Life Orb. Onto 60+ rounds.

I'm extremely annoyed after losing on my 36th battle on the Super Singles with this team:

Ferrothorn "Nutrey" @ Leftovers
Relaxed (+Def -Spe)
252 HP, 252 Def, 6 SpD
~ Stealth Rock
~ Spikes
~ Leech Seed
~ Gyro Ball

Since Nutrey hates Fire and Fighting type attacks, the opponent almost always leads with either a Fire or Fighting type. Ground or Ice type leads are also very common. Only a few occasional leads like Roserade or Durant are setup fodder. After playing so many matches, I would actually be surprised if the opponent's lead didn't carry a STAB Fire, Fighting, Ground or Ice move. Getting frozen sucks, but I have to admit that Nutrey manages to thaw himself out after two or three turns most of the time. The opposing lead Pokemon I hate the most is probably Houndoom, who not only roasts Nutrey, but can also chew up Burungel. Not surprisingly, Houndoom has by far (no kidding) been the most popular opposing lead, with Energy Ball Ninetales close in second place. Vanilluxe, Mamoswine, Scrafty and Conkeldurr have also been common opposing leads.

If the opposing lead lacks STAB Fighting or Fire moves, I usually start off with Leech Seed, which is awesome. I would then proceed with setting up Spikes and Stealth Rock if they didn't have other STAB moves such as Blizzard or Earthquake. Leech Seed sucks away their HP while Nutrey is having fun. Iron Barbs is a great ability too, since it helps wear down physical attacks along with Leech Seed. Quite often, the opponent is already down to OHKO range with Gyro Ball by the time Stealth Rock and Spikes are set up. Slugs like Nutrey are prone to Taunt, so it must have at least one attacking move. Gyro Ball is also handy for smashing Pokemon that would outspeed Thunder.

Jellicent "Burungel" @ Lum Berry
Bold (+Def -Atk)
252 Def, 212 SpD, 44 Spe
~ Surf
~ Shadow Ball
~ Will-O-Wisp
~ Recover

Burungel has proven to be possibly the best partner for Nutrey, since Chandelure lacks the bulk to take many hits. Since the opponent loves leading with Fire or Fighting type attacks, I love switching in Burungel to take the hit, especially if their lead doesn't have any moves to hurt Burungel with. However, for some reason, Burungel is often cursed with having to take many critical hits, much more than Nutrey and Thunder. Burungel has had to put up with bulky opponents with SpD boosts and spam Rest. Did Burungel manage to land at least one critical hit every ten turns? Hell no. Should Burungel spam Recover against hard hitters? Hell no, because the opponent WILL score a critical hit within four turns. Moves like Night Slash landed as critical hits more than half the time.

Burungel used to have Scald + Acid Armor, but the chances of Scald burning the opponent (apparently 30%) were obviously far lower than them scoring a critical hit (apparently 6.25% to 12.5%) and OHKOing Burungel. Acid Armor was useless too, since the opponent usually scored a critical hit at least once every three turns, which ignores the Defence boosts. It sucks when Will-O-Wisp misses, but I don't regret putting it in Burungel's moveset since it can be a lifesaver when it lands. Most importantly, the damage from critical hits is halved when burnt, so Burungel can usually manage to Recover the damage before getting OHKOed by even super effective moves. Status sucks, hence Lum Berry, since I can't put Leftovers on both Burungel and Nutrey. I wish Burungel had higher base Speed, as it would make Burungel's job even easier. The extra Speed EVs help outspeed Tyranitar, so Burungel can burn it before it uses Crunch.

Zapdos "Thunder" @ Life Orb
Timid (+Spe -Atk)
6 Def, 252 SpA, 252 Spe
~ Thunderbolt
~ Heat Wave
~ Hidden Power [Ice]
~ Roost

If Stealth Rock and Spikes are fully set up, most opponents are within OHKO range by Thunder. There isn't much here to explain except to hit and hope the opponent faints. I refrain from sending out Thunder unless Nutrey and Burungel have fainted or to utilise its Ground immunity against opponents trying to shake things up with Nutrey. Thunder only has base 100 Speed, but it can survive most attacks except for STAB Blizzard or Stone Edge. Roost is interesting, since it will take reduced damage from Rock, Ice and Electric moves if it gets to Roost first.

I lost to an opponent that lead with Mamoswine (a Pokemon that has appeared in almost a quarter of all teams I've faced).

Mamoswine | Adamant | Lax Incense | Hail | Earthquake | Superpower | Fissure | HP/Atk

Since one of the four Mamoswine sets carries Fissure, I attacked with Gyro Ball in the first turn to get the potentially deadly mammoth out of the way. Indeed, Mamoswine used Superpower, indicating that it was the one with Fissure. Both Superpower and Gyro Ball reduced the two Pokemon to the orange HP range.

Thinking that Mamoswine would use Superpower again (as usual in the past), I switched out to Burungel. Unfortunately, Mamoswine chose to use Earthquake, which inflicted about 48% damage. Mamoswine was faster than Burungel, so it managed to land another Earthquake before fainting to Burungel's Surf. Burungel was down to red HP.

Vanilluxe was sent in. Again, the ice cream was faster, so Burungel fainted to Blizzard before it could do anything. I sent Nutrey in ready to use Gyro Ball, but Blizzard was too much for Nutrey. Thunder didn't manage to OHKO it with Heat Wave and got OHKOed with Blizzard.

I may have had a chance at winning if Nutrey used Stealth Rock in the beginning so that Vanilluxe would be OHKOed by Thunder later on. However, beating that Mamoswine with Burungel alone is another story.

Any opinions on how I can improve this team or play things a bit differently?

I'm extremely annoyed after losing on my 36th battle on the Super Singles with this team:

Ferrothorn "Nutrey" @ Leftovers
Relaxed (+Def -Spe)
252 HP, 252 Def, 6 SpD
~ Stealth Rock
~ Spikes
~ Leech Seed
~ Gyro Ball

Since Nutrey hates Fire and Fighting type attacks, the opponent almost always leads with either a Fire or Fighting type. Ground or Ice type leads are also very common. Only a few occasional leads like Roserade or Durant are setup fodder. After playing so many matches, I would actually be surprised if the opponent's lead didn't carry a STAB Fire, Fighting, Ground or Ice move. Getting frozen sucks, but I have to admit that Nutrey manages to thaw himself out after two or three turns most of the time. The opposing lead Pokemon I hate the most is probably Houndoom, who not only roasts Nutrey, but can also chew up Burungel. Not surprisingly, Houndoom has by far (no kidding) been the most popular opposing lead, with Energy Ball Ninetales close in second place. Vanilluxe, Mamoswine, Scrafty and Conkeldurr have also been common opposing leads.

If the opposing lead lacks STAB Fighting or Fire moves, I usually start off with Leech Seed, which is awesome. I would then proceed with setting up Spikes and Stealth Rock if they didn't have other STAB moves such as Blizzard or Earthquake. Leech Seed sucks away their HP while Nutrey is having fun. Iron Barbs is a great ability too, since it helps wear down physical attacks along with Leech Seed. Quite often, the opponent is already down to OHKO range with Gyro Ball by the time Stealth Rock and Spikes are set up. Gyro Ball is also handy for smashing Pokemon that would outspeed Thunder.

Jellicent "Burungel" @ Lum Berry
Bold (+Def -Atk)
252 Def, 212 SpD, 44 Spe
~ Surf
~ Shadow Ball
~ Will-O-Wisp
~ Recover

Burungel has proven to be possibly the best partner for Nutrey, since Chandelure lacks the bulk to take many hits. Since the opponent loves leading with Fire or Fighting type attacks, I love switching in Burungel to take the hit, especially if their lead doesn't have any moves to hurt Burungel with.

Burungel used to have Scald + Acid Armor, but the chances of Scald burning the opponent (apparently 30%) were obviously far lower than them scoring a critical hit (apparently 6.25% to 12.5%) and OHKOing Burungel. Acid Armor was useless too, since the opponent usually scored a critical hit at least once every three turns, which ignores the Defence boosts. It sucks when Will-O-Wisp misses, but I don't regret putting it in Burungel's moveset since it can be a lifesaver when it lands. Most importantly, the damage from critical hits is halved when burnt, so Burungel can usually manage to Recover the damage before getting OHKOed by even super effective moves. Status sucks, hence Lum Berry, since I can't put Leftovers on both Burungel and Nutrey. I wish Jellicent had higher base Speed, as it would make Burungel's job even easier. The extra Speed EVs help outspeed Tyranitar, so Burungel can burn it before it uses Crunch.

Zapdos "Thunder" @ Life Orb
Timid (+Spe -Atk)
6 Def, 252 SpA, 252 Spe
~ Thunderbolt
~ Heat Wave
~ Hidden Power [Ice]
~ Roost

If Stealth Rock and Spikes are fully set up, most opponents are within OHKO range by Thunder. There isn't much here to explain except to hit and hope the opponent faints. Zapdos only has base 100 Speed, but it can survive most attacks except for STAB Blizzard or Stone Edge. Roost is interesting, since Zapdos will take reduced damage from Rock, Ice and Electric moves if it gets to Roost first.

I lost to an opponent that lead with Mamoswine (a Pokemon that has appeared in almost a quarter of all teams I've faced).

Mamoswine | Adamant | Lax Incense | Hail | Earthquake | Superpower | Fissure | HP/Atk

Since one of the four Mamoswine sets carries Fissure, I attacked with Gyro Ball in the first turn to get the potentially deadly mammoth out of the way. Indeed, Mamoswine used Superpower, indicating that it was the one with Fissure. Both Superpower and Gyro Ball reduced the two Pokemon to the orange HP range.

Thinking that Mamoswine would use Superpower again (as usual in the past), I switched out to Burungel. Unfortunately, Mamoswine chose to use Earthquake, which inflicted about 48% damage. Mamoswine was faster than Burungel, so it managed to land another Earthquake before fainting to Burungel's Surf. Burungel was down to red HP.

Vanilluxe was sent in. Again, the ice cream was faster, so Burungel fainted to Blizzard before it could do anything. I sent Nutrey in ready to use Gyro Ball, but Blizzard was too much for Nutrey. Thunder didn't manage to OHKO it with Heat Wave and got OHKOed with Blizzard.

I may have had a chance at winning if Nutrey used Stealth Rock in the beginning so that Vanilluxe would be OHKOed by Thunder later on. However, beating that Mamoswine with Burungel alone is another story.

Any opinions on how I can improve this team or play things a bit differently?
That Ferrothorn is illegal.

Oh bummer, never realised that. Ignore what I said before then.

I'll replace Stealth Rock with something... Leech Seed and Spikes can come from Cacnea. Gyro Ball is acquired through level up.

Oh bummer, never realised that. Ignore what I said before then.

I'll replace Stealth Rock with something... Leech Seed and Spikes can come from Cacnea. Gyro Ball is acquired through level up.
Every combination of Spikes, SR and Leech Seed is possible except for all three together.

Why is that Ferrathorn illegal?
Stealth Rock, Spikes and Leech Seed are all egg-moves, correct? Well, here is what you breed with a female Ferroseed for those:

Turtwig line: Stealth Rock and Leech Seed

Cacnea line: Spikes and Leech Seed

Dwebble line: Spikes and Stealth Rock

Nothing gives all three moves.

Just went through a few runs in the Subway with my new team of Swellow/Empoleon/Dusclops. Some impressions:

If it doesn't get resisted or opponent has considerable defensive bulk, Guts boosted Stab Facade absolutely wrecks any unlucky opponent in Swellow's way. Empoleon is great to switch in on Rock attacks and set up with an Agility, and outspeed everything unless it's Scarfed, though I have been stupid and tried to set up when the opponent had Earthquake. Dusclops though... Eviolite is great and all, but it doesn't help the rest of the team too much. Sad really, I was expecting a bit more from it. Oh well, I'll just have to wait to get an Immunity Gligar from my friend and then use Poison Heal Gliscor; it'll most likely be much more of a boon to the team. Immune to Electric that Swellow/Empoleon are weak to, resists Fighting attack and immune to Ground attacks aimed at Empoleon, and has good defense and speed. Immune to status too thanks to Toxic orb- one of Eviolite Dusclops's biggest downfalls is a weakness to status and no reliable healing. Toxic orb gives both strengths to Gliscor.

As a side note: Some of the sets used in the Subway are downright trollish. I mean really, who uses a Garchomp with Lax Incense, Sandstorm, and spams Protect? Come on. Really ruins prediction when I think the opponent is gonna use some SE move and instead does some weird gimmick that costs me a turn of setup or a mon.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)