Tailwind Team

Trying to improve this team, any and all constructive criticisms are more than welcome. Thank you.

Whimsicott @ Yache Berry
Ability: Prankster
Calm (+SpD -Atk)
EVs: (HP 252, Def 104, SpD 152)
Tailwind
Taunt
Encore
Helping Hand

Tailwind is what my team is based around. Taunt is used to shut down other leads such as amoongus who I've had problems with in the past. Encore can eliminate threats. Both encore and taunt are used to stop trick room (taunt preventing it and encore reversing its effects). Helping hand is there to give my other pokemon a good boost in its attack.

Mienshao @ Bug Gem
Ability: Inner Focus
Calm (+Spe -SpA)
EVs: (Atk 252, Spe 252, HP 4)
U-Turn
Hi Jump Kick
Fake Out
Protect

Fake out when combined with whimsicott's taunt (when used correctly) will stop an opponent on the first turn. Hi jump kick is the main attack, with a great 130 base power (though possibly detrimental consequences if the attack misses). U-turn is used to leave quickly and can leave a good dent with the bug gem and helping hand. Protect also helps out well.

Durant @ Focus Sash Life Orb
Ability: Swarm
Adamant (+Atk -SpA)
EVs (Atk 252, Spe 252, HP 4)
X-Scissor
Rock Slide
Iron Head
Protect

My main physical attacker. X-scissor is great against hydreigon. Rock slide and iron head are both useful and protect does come in handy.

Swarm is used over hustle because of accuracy issues, especially when using rock slide. It gives a nice but rarely used boost to x-scissor.

Chandelure @ Life Orb Focus Sash
Ability: Flash Fire
Timid (+Spe -Atk)
EVs (SpA 252, Spe 252, HP 4)
Heat Wave
Shadow Ball
Psychic
Energy Ball Protect

Chandelure is my main special attacker. Heat wave gets STAB and hits both opponents. Shadow ball also gets STAB. Psychic is used to faint fighting types such as conkelldurr that can threaten my other pokemon. I am not sure about energy ball, it might be removed.

Flash fire allows chandelure to switch into any fire attack and get a boost. This can be useful combined with u-turn. Life orb is used because the boost is helpful and I don't want to have to switch out chandelure every time I need to use a different attack.

Hydreigon @ White Herb
Ability: Levitate
Timid (+SpA -Atk)
Fire Blast
Draco Meteor
Dark Pulse
Protect

Hydreigon is another special attacker. Fire blast (which may be replaced with flamethrower) and draco meteor are resisted by nothing. Draco meteor's harsh stat reduce is countered once by the white herb. Dark pulse gets STAB and protect can be used when needed. Hydreigon is used when needed.

Jellicent @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Water Absorb
Timid (SpA 252, Spe 252, HP 4)
Water Spout
Shadow Ball
Ice Beam
Energy Ball

Jellicent I am not sure about. I'll keep it for the moment but if something better comes along I might replace it.

Water spout is the main STAB attack, with huge power at full HP. Shadow ball gets STAB. Jellicent is used mainly because of ice beam. When landorus or other threats are present on the enemy team, jellicent is used. It can even replace meinshao as a lead if landorus is suspected to be an enemy lead, OHKOing it.

soul_survivor

VGCPL Champion
intersting, but for mienshao don't you think think hi jump kick is dangerous. k seen many times when an opponent uses protect and thats 50% hp right there. also note your primary team isn't that bulky, n can get ohko'd easily. also for chandelure being so popular he will be a target by many pkmn. So i suggest a focus sash and take out energy ball for protect.

If this team orientates around tailwind how will you keep whismicott alive as tailwind only lasts three turns so I would get rod of HH for leech seed it has priority thanks to prankster and it heals him. Instead of life orb for chanderlure I would have Cspecs as he still has reasonable speed and his already large sp attack makes him very powerful. I suspect this is a double battle team cause of helping hand so meinshao should have wide guard to protect both pokemon out which helps whismicott to survive. Because you don't have a very bulky pokemon jellicent can become a stall although very common the set is:
Jellicent@leftovers. Water absorb
Toxic/recover/hex/water spout.
Toxic is the for stalling and hex has 100 base power when the foe has a status and recover heals damage. Water spout is for an attack and does huge damage when at full health(thanks recover). This set is bulky and stalls very well although it doesn't help with your team and tailwind.

I swapped Durant's and Chandelure's items around and replaced energy ball with protect.

I might keep Hi Jump Kick for the moment. I generally use it after the enemy uses protect, as its highly unlikely that protect will work a second time.

I'd rather not use the Cspecs because I prefer being able to have the variety (I'm not good at switching out every time I need to change moves) and if I get stuck on say, heat wave, what if they switch in another Chandelure or a Heatmor?

I don't think that bulky Jellicent is going to work, as you said, it won't work right on a tailwind team (stalling simply wastes tail wind).

I'll have a look at using leach seed instead of HH but I haven't had many problems with survivability as I generally win before the tailwind peters out (though if I don't, I have problems).

Thanks.

I think you should keep hi-jump kick on mienshao considering how you can use u-turn to attack in case you predict your opponent might protect.

I'd like to say you should invest in speed on Whimsicott. If you don't run a + Spd nature, you could constantly get outsped and Taunted by other lead Whimsicott.
I do sort of wonder about Durant on this team, but it looks like he does alright.
All in all, a good team.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)