Magnezone (Analysis)

I may be wrong but doesn't hidden power fire require a 30 speed IV which then forces magnezone to speed tie with scizor? According to a simulator I just did it on, with the drop in IV from using a 30 speed IV he does indeed speed tie with scizor. Shouldn't this merit a change in the EV spread to a 4 transferal from HP to speed so he can guarantee the outspeeding on scizor? I may be wrong on this but according to everything I've been reading and searching there is no HP Fire that has a 31 speed IV so this shift in IVs may have merit if running HP Fire.

where where where is Choice Specs???? Magnezone hits incredibly hard with specs and can literally come in on steels and just wail away. Not just that, Specs allows him to actually use his resistances to threaten OTHER pokemon, not just steels.

Any HP other than fire would make him 100 times worse. Trapping and KOing Scizor/Forrothorn/Skarmory is a god send to many teams

I'd like to see more examples of how Magnezone isn't completely outclassed by its pre-evolution Magneton. With the Eviolite, Magneton is far bulkier, faster, still has great SpA at 120, and looks a lot less retarded (tho it didn't need Eviolite for that). Magneton can still be offensive and yet will live far longer. You could argue in favor of leftovers recovery but offensive sets I would think would prefer Life Orb which obviously doesn't play to this evolutionary family's defensive prowess in the slightest.

TL;DR I'd much rather use EvioMagneton, someone tell me why I shouldn't...

Pokemon: Magnezone
Name: Wave Emitter
Ability: Magnet Pull/ Sturdy
Item: Balloon / Leftovers
Nature: Modest / Timid
EVs: 172 HP / 252 SpA / 80 Spe

Moveset:
Substitute / Recycle
Thunderbolt
Hidden Power Fire / Hidden Power Ice
Thunder Wave

I was just wondering if this was a viable set. The EV investment allows it to outspeed +ve base 110 speed pokemon after they are paralysed by Thunder Wave. This would most likely function as a revenge kill option where you are forcing a switch which you cripple with T-Wave.

The usefullness doesn't stop there. Given the base of the original steel trapper set it can very easily function as this once again, easily trapping Forretress, Scizor, Skarmory and other common steel types.

Coming in on a hit is unfavourable given the primary item of the balloon but it can still work effectively against Pokemon that aren't often in an aggressive position on the battlefield.

Recycle is there as an alternative to Sub to allow for a perpetual immunity to ground type attacks, although Magnezone has other issues to deal with where a substitute would be more appropriate.

I'd really like to hear your opinions on this set, I think it has some use yet.

EDIT: Sturdy is an option over Magnet Pull if you don't need to trap certain Pokemon, as Sturdy can help you survive an EQ even after the Balloon breaks but also surviving super effective Fire and Fighting moves that will be flying at you due to your temporary immunity to ground.

With that being said, this Magnezone set is quite an effective status spreader, using it sparingly to allow for paralysis to spread to key Pokemon of the opponents team. At this point using Magnezone as an all out Special Attacker can be very doable.

I'm surprised that there's no mention of Sturdy at all. I understand that Magnezone should be running Magnet Pull in most situations, but it's probably worth mentioning Sturdy's advantages and disadvantages briefly, though.

I'm surprised that there's no mention of Sturdy at all. I understand that Magnezone should be running Magnet Pull in most situations, but it's probably worth mentioning Sturdy's advantages and disadvantages briefly, though.
I actually intended to slash sturdy into the set I just posted. Thanks for reminding me. :P

With the release of Drizzle Politoed, Magnezone can be utilized on rain based teams, allowing it to forgo Thunder as its primary STAB move.
Little nitpick in OO, shouldn't it be: allowing it to forgo Thunderbolt for Thunder as its primary STAB move.
?

<p>Both Excadrill and Garchomp can switch in on Thunderbolt or Volt Change and easily dispose of Magnezone with Earthquake, or if Magnezone is lacking the appropriate Hidden Power, they both can set up Swords Dance. Magnezone's nemesis, Heatran, can switch in on Hidden Power or Flash Cannon and set Magnezone alight with Fire Blast. Jolteon and Electivire can switch in comfortably on Magnezone, taking little from its attacks, the former not having much to hit Magnezone with, although Electivire has several choices to beat down Magnezone in Fire Punch, Cross Chop, and Earthquake. Tyranitar is still a huge threat thanks to its high Special Defense and Attack, taking pitiful damage from anything Magnezone can throw at it bar Flash Cannon which can 2HKO Scarf variants.</p>
Electivire is spelt incorrectly in the counters and checks section. Is missing the second 'i'.

[Checks and Counters]

<p>With the threat of Explosion being exterminated, Blissey comes out as the number one counter to all Magnezone variants as it can sponge any of its attacks with its astonishing base 135 Special Defense. Snorlax and Shaymin also take little damage from Magnezone's attacks and can OHKO back with Earthquake and Earth Power, respectively, the latter being able to set up Curse and use Magnezone as set up fodder. Swampert resists Magnezone's STAB Steel-type attacks, while it has an immunity to Electric-type moves, giving it a switch in and can immediately threaten it with STAB Earthquake or if Magnezone has Magnet Rise, Roar it away.</p>
You mean the former, not latter.

Darkmalice

Level 3
is a Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Reuniclus is unaffected by status and can set up Calm Mind on the likes of Blissey, while Excadrill can set up a Swords Dance or two and start to shred the opponent's team.
Reuniclus is still affected by status. It just cannot be damaged by status; in reality, it's only unaffected by Toxic, and Burn if you ignore the Atk drop. It would be better to say "unaffected by Toxic." Reuniclus' doesn't enjoy Thunder Wave's paralysis chance nor the Speed drop against Ferrothorn.

Snorlax and Shaymin also take little damage from Magnezone's attacks and can OHKO back with Earthquake and Earth Power, respectively, the latter being able to set up Curse and use Magnezone as set up fodder.
Snorlax is the former, and Shaymin is the latter. The latter cannot use Curse. The former can.

I also think there should be a Specs set. While Zone doesn't necessary need Specs to deal with Steels (although the extra damage does help vs Ferrothorn), the boost helps a lot against other Pokemon that Magnezone may come across (Tyranitar for example). Magnezone can use all the power it can get since it often times gets only one attack before its forced to switch out.

i dont know why you'd want to make sure you outspeed sd scizor considering it can barely do anything to you anyway. imo its much more important to invest enough to ohko ferrothorn with hp fire to stop it from setting up more than one layer of spikes whichi dont think the current spread does. unless i'm mistaken, i might be noobing it out so can someone explain it to me?

prem

failed abortion
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
[SET]
name: Trapped in the zone
move 1: Substitute
move 2: Thunderbolt
move 3: Hidden Power Fire / Hidden Power Ice
move 4: Charge Beam / Flash Cannon
item: Leftovers / Balloon
ability: Magnet Pull
nature: Timid
evs: 40 HP / 252 SpA / 216 Spe
<p>The item choice is based on preference: Leftovers increases Magnezone's longevity and allows it to set up more Substitutes, while Balloon grants Magnezone the ability to come in on a Ground-type attack, for instance Excadrill's Earthquake, and proceed to set up a Substitute or hit it with Hidden Power.
both mentions should be changed to air balloon, after someone takes this over. i miss somalia...

Could anyone explain me,why you guys do not put Sturdy as nature instead of magnet pull,cuz think what if a ground type pokemon appears in the battle and you have 50% oh the HP.then magnet pull doesnt work but Sturdy does the work cuz at leats you can survive 2 turns or more!.........so WHY?

Could anyone explain me,why you guys do not put Sturdy as nature instead of magnet pull,cuz think what if a ground type pokemon appears in the battle and you have 50% oh the HP.then magnet pull doesnt work but Sturdy does the work cuz at leats you can survive 2 turns or more!.........so WHY?
Because Magnezone would be UU without Magnet Pull, the ability to trap and kill Steels, the most common defensive type in the tier, is way better than the ability to have a focus sash constantly. And if you have 50% health Sturdy wouldn't work anyway.

Because Magnezone would be UU without Magnet Pull, the ability to trap and kill Steels, the most common defensive type in the tier, is way better than the ability to have a focus sash constantly. And if you have 50% health Sturdy wouldn't work anyway.
Unless you're playing with 1-hit KO moves. None the less, Sturdy is worth a mention at least.

Hidden Power Fire with Magnet Pull is so pro.

Trapping in Ferrothorn and Scizor and basically OHKOing them with a Specs set is amazing.
And it can still trap in other Steels like Skarmory, Excadrill (Only if Balloon is still in-tact), Empoleon, Bronzong and such.
Magnezone can also hit most of the Steel types for neutral damage, and walls Pokemon like Escavalier and Durant that can't touch Magnezone at all.

The Specs set I run is Thunderbolt, Volt Switch, HP Fire, and Flash Cannon.
Modest, Max SpA, and just enough Spe IVs to outspeed most variants of Scizor, and dump the rest into HP.

Also, "Trapped In The Zone."

BEST NAME EVER.

Volt Change -> Volt Switch
Electivre -> Electivire
Shandera -> Chandelure

EDIT: 216 Speed EVs with HP Fire gives a 229 Speed stat, which is equal to the one Pokemon you are trying to outspeed (252 Scizor). 36 HP / 252 SpA / 220 Spe hits a jump point (231 Speed stat) and lets you win the (unlikely) speed tie.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)