The Fysical Phitness Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
BLAH. A friend and I were supposed to get gym memberships but we've been too lazy...im not the kind of person that can go to the gym alone...I need to find a gym buddy than. D:
that's really just an excuse. I didn't think I was the person who could go to the gym alone either, but 3 years later I've made more progress than I would've thought possible. Swallow your pride for a while.

that's really just an excuse. I didn't think I was the person who could go to the gym alone either, but 3 years later I've made more progress than I would've thought possible. Swallow your pride for a while.
^this. thund, if you're just kinda intimidated to be there by yourself around all those "big" guys, don't be. those guys lifting a tire on each side of the bar? they'll be lifting that same weight by the time you get there. 9/10 people who go to the gym go to the gym to do some stupid routine and you'll easily pass them up after a little while. plus maybe you'll find a friend at the gym! if it's just cos you think you can't workout alone, then what pope said above is true. it's an excuse. you're motivated to work for yourself, not for the guy with you!

and if you need someone to keep progress with, look no further than us. pope is switching off SL to do another workout, i'm on my 6th week of SL, venom drops in every once in a while and i think he's doing ripp(e)toe, and then others here lift. we're all training partners, come join us :D

seriously these people are awful i need an escape please help me you seem reasonable! :P

edit @Easter: haha i had been off candy and soda for about three weeks but today was just a splurge day for me xD i decided i could have one day so long as i maintain my discipline at least until i go on my school trip this summer (june 6-11). one day out of like, 10 weeks seems fair haha. don't get all fat Lee

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Tbh if you're not willing to do something as simple as going to a gym by yourself then you oughta have a word with yourself about how much you really want this.

Ps. I picked a bad time to start training again. Fucking Easter...

Mood: Pissed.

Sup. Poor workout today. Started squats but my form felt way off. Bar too high, wrists kept bending far back ... couldn't get it right. Decided to move on to OHP and work on form with just the bar today and tomorrow. It was going well on my third set (85 lbs) and I felt it in my upper back-shoulder area for the first time and I was like 'this is what champions are made of'. Then my brother and I fought off two motherfucking giant spiders and burned their eggs. It's safe to say my workout was cut short there, and I did not work on squat form, nor did I deadlift.

So I'm not going back to working out until my dad sprays the area down and I'll go through and double-check everything. Should be done by tomorrow, and I'm going to work on Squat form with the bar. I just felt like I couldn't get the position right and my wrists were just bending more than they should have (in hindsight I think my thumbs were under the bar, not over...).

Today should have been [Squat 140 5x5, OHP 85 5x5, Deadlift 145 5x5, Mile, Ab Work] in case anyone was wondering. Friday I'll keep the same weights for OHP and Deadlift.

Tbh if you're not willing to do something as simple as going to a gym by yourself then you oughta have a word with yourself about how much you really want this.

Ps. I picked a bad time to start training again. Fucking Easter...
Haha yeah tbh I'm not really motivated atm. My body's fine I just want to make it better, but I'm too lazy. :(

Oh and I have an excuse that I can't escape from: I'm broke. :(

disregard coaches, acquire fitness

65 miles last week having missed all day easter and 2 morning runs during the week (in other words, pretty much 15 miles per day all week). ganna hit 75 this week without missing, then 80, then a down week. once I hit 110 I'll start adding tempos, progression runs, and other aerobic type workouts back in.

TRIPLE DIGITS ARE NOT FAR AWAY LETS GET IT

(I wish there were other people in this thread who ran a lot ._.)

Aeron Ee1

Nom nom nom
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
I run 4.2km everyday, except for Wednesdays and Sundays. Wednesday because that's the day I have PE in school, and Sunday because that's the day I have badminton practice. After each run, I do 20 push-ups, 20 sit-ups, 20 left-side crunches, 20 right-side crunches, and 5 chin-ups. Definitely not the best work-out routine, so there's obviously a lot of room for suggestions and improvement. Runs I've participated include 2 5km runs (both organized by my church) and an 11km (energizer), which i did in 52:44. I'm planning on doing a 21km around September. Diet-wise, I eat whatever whenever. I'm still underweight though (18.38 BMI). Body mass fat percentage = ~12%.

Graph for my 11km run, the venue was the Sepang International F1 Circuit, just cause I can:

[145 5x5 Squat, 125 5x5 Bench, 100 5x5 Barbell Row] raining so no mile

Another fucking awful workout; this shit is dis-motivating as fuck.

Literally couldn't squat. Jesus, on the second set I thought my fucking shoulders were going to break and I felt like my wrists were going to snap. 1) The bar wasn't on my shoulders, it was under the blades. I tried on the shoulders and along-side the top of the neck, fuck neither felt good. Wrists constantly felt like they were being tortured. Tried thumbs in both positions, attempted various grips. Couldn't squat the bar, couldn't do my warm-up weight, couldn't do my work weight. Ended up doing bar x3, 95 x2 145 2x3.

bench holy mother of god. 120 was easy last week. i literally did every single rep and felt like i could have done another 3 or 4 sets. today, i was on my third set and the last rep I couldn't get the bar up. no spotter so i went through the whole /roll the bar down your body until you can get it off/ thing and then i just ragequat my workout. not even barbell rows, that's how mad i am.

so any squat experts want to help me? i will attempt a paint drawing of what i've tried:

So any help would be great with that. I don't understand what I've changed between 130 and 145, but something has gone wrong and it's messing with me. Not sure what to do about bench because I don't know if I just had an off day or if I legit can't lift that weight. Although not being able to lift that weight (125) seems odd since I've done 3x135 at school before...

disregard coaches, acquire fitness

65 miles last week having missed all day easter and 2 morning runs during the week (in other words, pretty much 15 miles per day all week). ganna hit 75 this week without missing, then 80, then a down week. once I hit 110 I'll start adding tempos, progression runs, and other aerobic type workouts back in.

TRIPLE DIGITS ARE NOT FAR AWAY LETS GET IT

(I wish there were other people in this thread who ran a lot ._.)
sounds like you're still kicking ass stat, that a kid. tbh i wish i could run that much, it would be so wonderful @_@

also aeron, you're p. cool too.

another edit because i'm so god damn cool: if anyone is registered on the SL forums, check this out: http://stronglifts.com/forum/f30/53-weeks-stronglifts-5x5-26588.html

that guy is a boss.

jesus i keep thinking of more things: okay here is how i see it. there will be a powerlifting competition in my area next february. i want to lift 800 total by then. so i think what i'm going to do is start fresh (it's not going to hurt to work on my technique !_!). i'll start with the following i think:

95 Squat
45 Bench
45 OHP
135 DL (I know I have good form and I don't want to set up plates to get it to the right height, this will not be a problem.)
95 BBR

Thoughts? And yes I would still like pointers on my squat form if anyone is willing to give me any. I will record myself Friday and upload it here and at SL if possible if I can't get this sorted out.

Lee

@ Thick Club
it's unlikely that there's anything wrong with your squatting technique because you're doubtlessly using the same technique you've used for countless squats in the past and you presumably didn't have this problem then? In the past I have noticed many occasions when my wrists have felt shitty after a particularly tough period of benching so I began to examine my own technique and did a bit of reading around and found that, at times, my wrist grip was all fucking stupid.

Here,

If you're having wrist problems, I'd be willing to bet that your grip is the one on the left. The one on the right is the correct grip and greatly reduces strain on the wrists. I know it can be a bit tough to keep your wrists straight, especially when you're on a particularly heavy weight but eh, that's life.

link for slightly extended reading

good luck

I always keep my thumb over the bar rather than wrapped under it. I think that helps with keeping my wrists straight. It's harder to keep your wrists straight the lower the bar is, but you have to keep the bar on your traps so you're probably having a flexibility issue with your shoulders.

You could try doing these to see if they help. They sound painful but they're really not, I swear.

http://stronglifts.com/shoulders-dislocations/

Thanks guys, I appreciate it.

Lee, I read the link and thanks for the tips. Over the next three weeks I plan on focusing hard on my technique and I'll be sure to check my wrist position at the beginning and end of each set to make sure I've got it correct. pope, thanks for that link; imma do those over the next couple weeks until I'm very comfortable with my positioning. I'll probably do those shoulder foam rolls as well; I've got access to foam rollers at school so I can do those on workout days before coming home to do the dislocations. And i'm going to be super self-conscious about my posture everywhere now. /me sits up straight and pushes back shoulders. I guess finally improving the weight on these heavy sets killed me and that's why I'm experiencing this failure haha. I appreciate it guys. And I finally started a training log on SL, I'll carry a link in my sig to a livejournal or something where I'll just c+p my posts I guess, that way I won't clog up this thread with that stuff. :D

my mood has gone from super pissed to super pumped. leggo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey guys.

Even though it's mid-season for track I'm still trying to lift a little because I'm small for my league. Overall, my bench is probably my weakest lift, last weak I barely managed 5x5 at 120 and yesterday I only managed 3 complete sets. The main problem I'm feeling is that, well, I just don't feel it in my chest muscles. I arch my back, I use a very wide grip (I know narrow grips work on arms/triceps, which I feel if I move my arms in), and I have the bar over my pecs, but it feels like I'm pushing with my back or hamstring, and it really strains my neck a lot. I'm thinking about moving to lower weight and increasing the reps, at least for a week or so, so that I know that I have the form down.

Other than that, I think my deadlifting form has improved, though it's dropped in weight because I hadn't deadlifted since late February. I do it in socks now, I don't start as low, and I keep my head down.

Another meet coming up on Saturday, I don't know what I'll be doing but it'll consist of 3 of the 100, 200, 400, long, or triple. My end of season goals are to break 19 ft for the long, and get under 12 for the 100/under 24 for the 200, and I haven't run the 400 yet so I'm not sure how I'll do

uragg

Walking the streets with you in your worn-out jeans
is a Contributor Alumnus
sup guys, i've been lurking and reading this thread for a bit, thought i'd post my stuff.

running track atm for school, first time doing so (used to swim p well and play soccer) so naturally i'm not very fast, but i feel i've dropped a good amount of time with only about a month and a half of practice. went from like 13.9 in the 100 and 28.4 in the 200 at time trials (lol probably mistimed or something because those are just horrendously slow...) to 12.3 and 26.1 in the last meet.

any sprinters here got technique tips? i know that it takes a lot of practice and a lot of time to get really fast, but the really fast guys on the team (50 flat 400s, sub 2:00 800s) just seem to run a lot more smoothly and efficiently than the rest of us so i was wondering if there are any 'tricks' to running better or if it's just something that comes with running a lot.

also i feel like i should be able to hold on better in the 200 than i do because my stamina isn't that bad, but people i easily beat in the 100 get the edge on me in the 200. maybe it's the curve since i'm new to this stuff, but idk. finally i'm trying to learn hurdling but the high hurdles are like up to above my waist since i'm short so it feels awkward as hell. i feel like i'm jumping more upwards than i am forwards, so any help with that would be appreciated as well.

I don't pretend to be an expert on sprinting, but I have pretty good form, I'm mainly too slow (for now) because I'm not big enough. Anyway, a lot of people have problems on their upper body, which can be seen in how their head moves when they run. Your arms (forearms) should always stay about 90° to your upper arms (biceps): don't move your elbow joint, only rotate your shoulder joint. Move your arm straight back and forth, from your fingers to about your face then down to about your waist.

For lower body, I have a little more trouble with, but always stay on your toes and reach out far with them with each step.

Never tighten up, which I always do when running the 100, because I've heard it slows you down. I'm looking to get under 12 today in the 100, and I feel like I have a pretty good shot.

Good luck to you in your meets!

Lee

@ Thick Club
CBShuckle said:
The main problem I'm feeling is that, well, I just don't feel it in my chest muscles. I arch my back, I use a very wide grip (I know narrow grips work on arms/triceps, which I feel if I move my arms in), and I have the bar over my pecs, but it feels like I'm pushing with my back or hamstring, and it really strains my neck a lot. I'm thinking about moving to lower weight and increasing the reps, at least for a week or so, so that I know that I have the form down.
tbh, i don't feel it a great deal in my chest either DURING the exercise but I certainly feel it the next day. Do you? If your pecs are sore the next day then you've nothing to worry about. If they aren't...well, it's probably because of your technique which sounds pretty freaky. I can't even picture how it's possible to push up with your hamstrings haha...however you're doing that, try not to do it. :P Try to keep your back parallel to the bench and engage your abdominal muscles to help you along with that.

This sentence 'feels like I'm pushing with my back or hamstring, and it really strains my neck a lot' just absolutely screams 'i'm lifting more than i'm comfortable with' to me. I suggest you follow your instinct and drop the weight down for a little bit until you get the technique down and hopefully build a little more strength. Good luck.

haha well maybe it was too much weight... embarrassing because it's only 120. But still I have much better lower body than upper. I'm gonna move back down to get the technique, or maybe it was just a bad day or something. Anyway thanks for the help

uragg

Walking the streets with you in your worn-out jeans
is a Contributor Alumnus
thanks CBshuckle, i'll def try to keep those tips in mind at practice the coming couple weeks.

how'd you do in the meet you had today?

what I hear about for sprinting form is that the stronger your muscles are (i.e. higher power to bodyweight ratio), the better your form will be. pump from your shoulders without straining them, if that makes sense, and try to keep your whole body relaxed.

if you aren't relaxing while you run, that's probably the reason your 200 is so much slower than your 100. running while tense really just drains you, especially at such a high speed where you're using all the energy your body can produce in such a short amount of time. it may just be that you need to toughen up and run the 200 all out, which in itself takes a lot of practice and guts.

P.S. reaching out far with your toes in each step is not the ideal way to think about how you're stepping--rather, it will cause you to overstride which is actually not energy-efficient. the best way to think of it is to concentrate on two things. the first is to pretend you are running through a ladder and that you need to pick your knees up HIGH to step in and out of the spaces between the rungs. the second is to think about moving your feet through the air FAST and get them back to the ground as quickly as possible. the difference is you compromise how far you move your foot with each step to take MORE steps. Usain Bolt took almost 5 steps per second when he ran 9.68, and Tyson Gay, the next fastest man, took even more. Turnover is the name of the game. If you think of picking up your knees and feet like you're running through a ladder, your stride will be long without having to reach for the ground in front of you. It'll take care of your stride for you. If you're doing that, really the biggest thing for you to do is go through the motions faster, to take steps at a higher frequency. Work on your strength and your stride will naturally become longer. Work on turnover and strength and you will see improvement.

P.P.S. on the (middle) distance side of things, I ran 9 miles yesterday at a pace of 6:37 per mile, so I appear to be regaining my fitness quickly. I have a strong hunch that dropping the mileage for track and field was a mistake. As I get to know my body better, it seems that I respond to high mileage, as in the beginning of the season (as noted on a post earlier this thread), I was able to drop multiple 23 second 200's in practice with no speed work other than soccer. It now seems almost ludicrous that I changed something that worked so well and got me so much improvement in cross country, ESPECIALLY since I already had pretty good sprinting speed. Oh well--time to get serious for next year's cross country season.

:(

Note: Started with shoulder dislocations and warrior lunges, as well as basic dynamic stretches.

To be quite honest guys, I just don't understand what happened in a week. Somehow my squats became painful and unbearable. There is no way that I just lost my ability to squat. I know I lost my technique. I was so confident that my technique was off I recorded myself and viewed it. I wasn't pleased. Here are the following videos:

1) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJeSAu2zC5Y
Obviously my lower back rounds. I saw that and took another video from the side, which is this one:​

2) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3L5svugbwO0
At this point you might be saying, "Jesus Tyler, why the fuck don't you put your thumb over the bar instead of under?" And I retort with the following video:​

3) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qn4vyYqbyPE
You might have heard my brother recording me saying "Shouldn't you ask them about that?" He posed that question after I told him how whenever I did a squat with my thumb above the bar, it hurt like hell in my thumb, between my thumb and index finger, and down to my wrists where it hurt the most. And I obviously shouted "Jolting pain" in a non-masculine voice (lol) and went to rack the bar as I was going to drop it due to the pain.​

So yeah. Critique please. I know that the bar is a little high (I think it is, anyway), and I know that my lower back rounds nicely. What I don't know is why I lean forward so much; that easily is the factor contributing to my round back. (As far as I can tell, I start out fine but devolve as I go down. When I began to think about this a lot I noticed I was "falling" forward and I was using my heels to catch myself from falling. I think I need to sit back more when I squat.) One of my questions is, how do I stop the pain in my wrists so that I can place my thumb above the bar? Apparently it's incorrect to do it the way I am with my thumb under the bar, but I simply can't put it above the bar and still manage to hold the bar. Ugh.

Help (: It's way more embarassing to not be able to squat correctly than to shit all over my ego and ask for help :$

(Bench and BBR went fine. Worked on focusing on wrist alignment throughout bench. Did well I think.)

Stylish Interval,

The bar height seems fine, I wouldn't worry about that. You also get low enough, but if you're having trouble leaning forward you need to keep your head up.

Pick a spot on the wall or ceiling that you have to look up to, throughout the entire movement keep your eyes on that spot, that should help keep you more centered.

As far as wrist pain, I don't know. I always squat with my thumb under the bar and it's never really a problem.

You can take your wrists out of the equation however, by using a different technique. You can hold the bar in front of your body (resting kinda on your collar bone/pecs) and have your arms cris-crossed. It's a pretty uncomfortable position, one that I've never been fond of, but if it takes the pain away then you might as well give it a shot.

1) Yes, you definitely need to sit back a bit more when you do your squats. Make sure you're beginning your squats by moving your hips back instead of bending at the knees first. Imagine going to sit on a toilet and go from there (basically the same advice given to me lol)

2) I still have problems with my lower back on squats, so the best advice I can give you is just keep on doing the dynamic stretches to work on your flexibility. Also you could try doing Supermans to work on keeping your lower back tight, athough the main problem will most likely be flexibility related.

3) From the first video, it really looks like your wrists aren't staying straight. Make a conscious effort to have them start out in line with your forearm and stay in line throughout the entire squat. You might even try putting the bar a little bit higher on your traps, but don't do this if it makes your lower back problems worse (it might)

Just curious, what do distance runners do after high school?

My final track season, I ended with a 4:45 mile PR and I think I was till improving (I always improved, or stayed the same at the worst, every race that season). Now I'm ending my first year of college and I don't know what I'm suppose to do. College athletics are out of the picture (lol Division I), but I would still like to do races. I know there aren't specific races you have to run like high school, but what are the common racing distances that you guys run (8k, 10k, half-marathon, something else entirely, etc.)

Also, on a different note, I'm kind of embarrassed because I can't do decent push-ups. My back always slouches after I do like five and my arms pretty much give out around sixteen (which means those last ten push-ups look like I'm humping the ground). Advice?

EDIT:
@Stathakis
I didn't know you were still in high school given your mileage! Keep it up!

Im sure you guys have heard similar stories before, and I'm not sure if I should post here, but w/e >_<
Im 16 years old, 6 ft tall, 140 lbs, and physically active (I play club soccer 3-4 times a week with a game a week).

If I want to continue to play at this level I need to get bigger. Ive been drinking protein shakes for a few months now, but would appreciate any good suggestions for work-outs, as Ive started going to a gym to bulk up.
As far as cardio-vasuclar work outs are concerned, I think I'm ok. But the best work outs for gaining muscle would be appreciated! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)