Another OU Drought team [UPDATED 4/5/11][Peaked 347th]

Ok, I fixed up the reasonings of my Pokemon... Hopefully this complies with the rules a bit better...

Hey! I'm Dark Pulse! A few of you know me, and up until recently, I've been playing with a rather gimmicky Hail Stall Team (which in the early metagame was really good, but now I'm not getting much any success from it)
thanks to Aragornbird for making a sprite database for me to use in this post (though it means little in this scenario, it really makes all the difference)

My Team At a Glance
The Creation Process
So... I decided I wanted to build a new team! I Looked at a Sheer Force Team featuring a NIdoking, but couldn't find inspiration for partners...
It was then that I remembered hearing about Darmanitan. that LO+Drought+Sheer Force made one very strong Flare Blitz... so I decided to make a Drought team...
I started off with just those 2 Pokemon

That's when I remembered seeing Venusaur. I'd battled Drought teams before, and often had a Venusaur switch in to destroy my Toxic Spikes, then continue to sweep through me with seemingly godlike speed (it outsped my froslass, I knew it was boosted somehow)
so I looked up Venusaur, and found it's DW Ability to be Chlorophyl
I then added Venusaur to my team

After Figuring out Chlorophyl made Venusaur Faster than Deoxys-S with no investment (as long as sun was in play) I looked to find another Chlorophyl User. I found Leafeon

That made 4 Pokemon. I thought about using Harvest, hearing about how Tropius could PP Stall eternally in sun by using Synthesis @Leppa Berry/Harvest, so I thought of putting him in. Then I noticed Exeggutor also had Harvest... So I added him instead

Next up, I needed a Lead... After a fair bit of looking (well, not much) I decided on Heatran, as it could absorb Fire attacks my Grass types Hated, and was immune to Sandstorm Damage... And he had Access to the Rocks, that always helps...

Now with my team complete, I went off and tested battling
*still loses*
I found that Despite using Adamant, Focus Sashed SD Leafeon, I didn't have the coverage to do the damage I wanted to deal... After a lot of asking and arguing on PO, I found out that Sawsbuck had the Coverage I was looking for, despite the lack of speed and attack... So I swapped Leafeon for him

My last Change was Suggested by a moderater on the Smogon PO server called +Shrang. When I found myself with problems facing fire types, Rain teams, and Tyranitar. He suggested me using ChestoRest Kingdra, which has proved to be quite useful in my team... I swapped Exeggutor out for him

Now, I'm still having one or two troubles with Sandstorm (especially when people use BOTH hippo and T-tar) so I'm coming down to the public to ask...

After asking here and at Pokecommunity, I have decided to add Claydol as a dedicated Rapid Spinner/Stealth Rocker. Due to it's immunity to spikes, and resistance to SR, as well as having access to the much-needed spin+rocks...

My Team under the Microscope

Claydol (M) @ Light Clay
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 140 Def / 132 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Rapid Spin
- Reflect
- Stealth Rock
- Light Screen

My Rocker/Spinner lead. I use Ninetales, this or Kingdra as a lead, depending on the opponent.
Stealth Rock up and spin away, then switch, if possible, I may stay in to deal some damage, but I need Claydol to survive in case more hazards come out, and this team doesn't like Hazards...

Ninetales (M) @ Air Balloon
Trait: Drought
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Energy Ball
- Flamethrower
- Nasty Plot
- Hypnosis

My other Potential lead, Hypnosis + Nasty Plot is rather... nasty :P
Otherwise I switch to darmanitan to Flare Blitz sweep.
I normally only use Ninetales as a lead if I have an opponent that potentially will beat Heatran as a lead (IE Azelf or Aerodacyl), or if I am facing a non-weather team (especially without an obvious hazarder)

Darmanitan (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Sheer Force
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Flare Blitz
- Rock Slide
- Superpower
- U-turn

My all out Physical Attacker... This thing's Flare Blitz can OHKO LATI@S!!! If I can send this out on a hypnosised/Slower Pokemon (esp. ferrothorn), they basically lose 1 member of their team, on the spot.
U-turn is for a quick escape, and allows me to hit Rankurusu (I have never gotten used to it's ENG name, Reun-whatever) or other slow Pokemon after I have used Superpower (often to kill T-tar or Heatran)

Venusaur (M) @ Black Sludge
Trait: Chlorophyll
EVs: 204 HP / 136 Def / 160 SAtk / 8 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Energy Ball (Wish I could get Giga Drain)
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Sludge Bomb
- Growth

My main Special Sweeper, originally was going to be a tank with surprising speed, but now has evolved into a bulky sweeper, swapping synthesis for HP fire...
Growth in Sun is equivalent to using Both SD and Nasty Plot in 1 turn, so I was contemplating a Mixed set, but to do that, I would have to lose some of the Bulk that has made Venusaur what it is...
Venusaur has often been a bit of fodder for me (until I removed synthesis) as it was able to survive a Garchomp's Unboosted Outrage, and, if not scarfed, synthesis in to heal... I'm now contemplating srificing some bulk (or power) to give it the speed to beat Scarfchomp. Suggestions?
Synthesis is still sorely missed, as it allowed me to heal quickly after taking damage from pokemon I couldn't OHKO (Garchomp or Lati@s)
Energy ball has been suggested over solarbeam, due to weather issues.

Sawsbuck (M) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Chlorophyll
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
- Horn Leech
- Swords Dance
- Nature Power [Earthquake]
- Return

My set-up SD sweeper, with Horn Leech, I can SD up, survive with sash (or sometimes survive with sash intact lol) then Horn leech the oponent to recover, meaning I am out of Priority range to KO me...
This Pokemon is my most Hazard-weak Pokemon, as without 100% health, I have to horn leech right away to survive an attack, often meaning I can't sweep properly, as I'm forced to choose the wrong move (IE - using horn leech instead of SD+return)
Priority and Hazards (as already explained) are a bitch to this pokemon, ideas to work around them?

Kingdra (M) @ Chesto Berry
Trait: Swift Swim
EVs: 144 HP / 160 Atk / 40 SDef / 164 Spd
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Waterfall
- Rest

Suggested by Shrang, this wreaks both SS and Drizzle teams, basically forcing the opponent to not bring their weather Giant in... If you know who D_a is, he suggested swap it for Dugtrio or Wobba
I sometimes use this as a lead when facing Rain teams that send Poli out first (very few, but still...) Otherwise, I send in tails first, then try to Hypnosis the switch-in of Poli (but the HAX gods frown upon Hypnosis)
ChestoRest Kingdra allows me to ignore Toxic and other residual, while still DDing up, when I finally rest, it often catches the opponent well off guard!
rather than a +1 sweep, a +3 Outrage often takes out 2 Pokemon [unless Ferrothorn is in play, Ferrothorn is a 2HKO at +6 :(]

Known Counters/Checks
So Far, Teams that have beaten me include:
Sandstorm Teams, although I normally can get around them with Careful Switching between Kingdra, Heatran and Ninetails
Rain Teams, but Kingdra now Sweeps them with Swift Swim + Rest
Ferrothorn, because until I gave Venusaur HP Fire, he would set up hazards on me while I switch to tails/Tran, then switch out when I try to kill it...
Heatran! Once I lose Sawsbuck, he basically walls my team (yes, walls)
other things:

Priority, especially with Sawsbuck and Kingdra
Entry Hazards...

Things My team needs/wants

Some stronger Walls, If my opponent gets momentum, I can't stop it without letting something die​

use fire blast on heatran. If you are willing to trade 5 BP for 10% accuracy (flamethrower -> heat wave), it should be a no brainier to add 25 BP for a 5% accuracy reduction.

Add a rapid spinner or take sash off of sawsbuck. He's probably going to get hit by entry hazards. Donphan would probably be your best bet as a spinner, as sun removes his water weakness. Not sure where you'd want to put him, though.

Ferrothorn is very common on rain teams and your kingdra can't really touch him. Resists both of your attacks and could just leech seed stall you out til you die or switch (I see you noted this in your post, you can't really shrug off his power whips while you DD to +6). You will also feel mighty silly with guy vs a non-weather team, as you are limiting yourself to only using outrage, really.

Thank you, someone for FINALLY posting...

I've always had my cut-off mark of 90%... so Fire Blast was... not exactly an option, but because I have no boosts, I think heatran is understandable :P
Yeah, I can understand Donphan, and I've been thinking either Donphan or dory... Can donphan use rocks? *checks it up*

ok, Donphan can... but it's only got 50 base speed...

would Claydol work as well? I think maybe swapping it out for heatran (although that means I lose my Flash fire, and have to rely on ninetales, Darmanitan [ain't happening] and Kingdra)

Trust me you want to go with Fire Blast or at least go back to Flamethrower because Heatwave only gets 5 more base power but can miss meaning after 10 uses Flamethrower is technically better and Fire Blast is the best.

Other stuff I want to add.

Kingdra is useless on that team don't use him Hihidaruma will do work against a SS team with superpower, instead get a spinner Hitmontop is a good one and he can also help against SS teams.

Change Sludge Bomb to Synthesis so it has some form of recover, and if your opponent has a Sandstorm team or Rain because there are so many steel types Sludge Bomb isn't very good anyway.

ok...

Kingdra works to force NOT to bring the weather creater in[because T-tar and Hippo both get a nice waterfall to the face, and Poli doubles Kingdra's speed)
and I've already asked should I go with Donphan or claydol to replace heatran (chosen claydol)
Sludge Bomb allows me to hit pesky Dragons like Dragonite for Neutral Damage, and has a Higher Base power than Energy Ball (I swapped it over due to T-tar switching in on me for a free turn/KO
and besides, with Black Sludge, Venusaur gets a decent amount of heal already

First off Ninetales should always be your automatic lead, and then use team preview to change leads if necessary, (counter lead Tyranitar and such…)
Second of all :Your Ninetales shouldn’t be aggressive, since you already have plenty of sweepers, you want it to be more bulky to take hits and be able to survive so you can keep bringing it back in if you’re having weather wars. I recommend:

Ninetales (F) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 168 Def / 88 SDef
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Flamethrower
- Will-O-Wisp
- Substitute
- Protect
This set will allow you keep your Ninetales longer, plus really don’t have very many bulky Pokémon to sponge hits so it’s good to have some.
I also noticed that your team is Conkeldurr weak, adding that Claydol might help; it’s a physical wall that runs Psychic to counter him, but watch out because he will probably use Payback on him and that will take a huge chunk out.

Claydol @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Psychic
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Protect
This set is good for walling Excadrill because with Sand Storm up it will rape your team, and it walls Conkeldurr and use’s Psychic to counter it. But watch out because Excadrill will run X-Scissor and Conkeldurr will use Payback on your Claydol, and both those moves will hurt like hell and take out a huge chunk.
I hope these edits helped :)
Hirschy Out-

If I were you, I would change Solar Beam to Energy Ball. If you see another weather team, it takes 2 turns for solarbeam to work. Then, change your item to grass gem.

First off Ninetales should always be your automatic lead, and then use team preview to change leads if necessary, (counter lead Tyranitar and such…)
Second of all :Your Ninetales shouldn’t be aggressive, since you already have plenty of sweepers, you want it to be more bulky to take hits and be able to survive so you can keep bringing it back in if you’re having weather wars. I recommend:

Ninetales (F) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 168 Def / 88 SDef
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Flamethrower
- Will-O-Wisp
- Substitute
- Protect
This set will allow you keep your Ninetales longer, plus really don’t have very many bulky Pokémon to sponge hits so it’s good to have some.

why don't I just use Bold (+def, -Atk) so I get more speed without losing anything?
also, Hypnosis plays a huge part for me, allowing for me to switch to other Pokemon, hence the Timid nature...

I also noticed that your team is Conkeldurr weak, adding that Claydol might help; it’s a physical wall that runs Psychic to counter him, but watch out because he will probably use Payback on him and that will take a huge chunk out.

Claydol @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Psychic
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Protect
This set is good for walling Excadrill because with Sand Storm up it will rape your team, and it walls Conkeldurr and use’s Psychic to counter it. But watch out because Excadrill will run X-Scissor and Conkeldurr will use Payback on your Claydol, and both those moves will hurt like hell and take out a huge chunk.

ok, If I'm going to use a Bold Nature, Earthquake is going to be hampered Too badly, making Earth Power a much better Option...
I also Need SR support, so I've been using a Claydol in my more recent versions (I'm gonna update soon) using an Impish Nature, and EQ/SR/Spin/boom

buut I don't explode, as I like claydol to survive, so I'm going to swap the nature and moves around, but use the gen 4 EV's (type claydol in the search bar ^ and look for "OU support," that's the set I'm now using)

I hope these edits helped :)
Hirschy Out-
ok, so I bolded my replies, and I'll test ninetailes

I'm going to update my OP soon, but not yet, I'm a little busy (in a few hours I'll be back to do it)

@Shiny Mew - on what???

I agree with Shiny Mew 2, you should get rid of SolarBeam (At least on your Venusaur) and replace it with Energy Ball. Not as powerful but a lot more reliable. Black Sludge is fine on Venusaur, it could be replaced by Life Orb though.

I'm starting to wonder what would hit harder between Darmanitan Flare Blitz and Victini V-Create in the sun. Gotta Calc!

ok, Given it an update...

Testing out the Ninetales suggested by Hirschy, but not going to include it until I'm positive I like it

use energy ball instead of solarbeam on ninetales and venusaur. you really don't want a weather setter to switch in and cause you to waste a turn charging, set their own weather, then switch out to one of their own pokemon that takes advantage of their weather.

The reason i use a Relaxed nature is because you want ninetales as slow as possible because when it comes to weather wars, and you guys both lead with your Weather Man the slowest pokemon's weather will go up, so thats my reasoning on that.

The reason i use a Relaxed nature is because you want ninetales as slow as possible because when it comes to weather wars, and you guys both lead with your Weather Man the slowest pokemon's weather will go up, so thats my reasoning on that.
Relaxed Ninetales isn't outspeeding Sassy Ttar any time soon. Stick with a fast Ninetales so that it can do damage without taking otherwise painful hits.

Hmm well the team seems pretty solid but id worry about your ability to deal with bulky rain dance teams. Physically defensive Zapdos might cause you some problems as well an bulky gyarados. Kingdra is a good addition and as a user of a rain team id hate to see it. But Zapdos thunder hurts it and breloom can also hit it pretty hard with mach punch if your not careful with its life. Specially defensive Politoed might also be a problem. It switches in to Ninetails (Who even with solar beam barely touches it) and can then toxic or hydro pump. A switch to venasaur works but politoed with ice beam could still hurt especially if stealth rock is in play. Claydol also adds to the water weakness.

Id be tempted to go with tentacruel with its good bulk, rapid spin and acess to toxic spikes and an ability which means leech seed and giga drain are ruined, or the ability to heal in rain. That would leave you with a problemwith earthquake still so you might need to change something else to accompany it. If rain dance teams arent providing much of a problem though then i wouldnt worry too much.

As for dealing with machamp there is no easy solution. Fireblast Ninetales should be able to 1 hit it if theres some special attack investment but if you allow it to dynamic punch theres no telling the damadge it can do with the hax surrounding confusion. I wouldnt suggest changing anything to deal with it specifically but if it proves a real issue then you'll have to edit accordingly. I use a zapdos on dynamic punch and try and wear it down with smart switches but it can regularly take one pokemon out.

Thanks for the rate KingOfNubs.

Bulky Poli has proven... quite a nuisance to my team, being so bulky, I can hardly take it down...
My main counter to Bulky Poli is to send in Kingdra and DD up, Normally they Toxic on the first DD, then switch out, shitting themselves when they realise I use ChestoRest... then Losing 1-3 of their Pokemon (depending if they have either steel or physical bulk on their team)

SpecsPoli has also proven a little worry, taking out my Claydol early (but now that I've made Claydol have mixed defence [306 in both defences] It's now a 2HKO) and then preventing me from switching to tales...
once again, Kingdra makes an Eccelent Check, Resisting it's powerful surf/hydro pumps, and getting a free DD from the switch (and more if they don't send in a potential OHKO)

I definately have found Bulky Gyarados a surprise, I haven't faced one until recently, and thought that a Sludge Bomb from Saur could do the Job

It didn't, but Ice Fang didn't do much Damage Either...
I don't know whether I've faced a physcal Zappy, but Dos's thunders certainly are a thorn in Kingdra's backside... Sludge bomb from Venu still finished the job off if I can get sun up though...

I have recently found not all Machamps use a Lum Berry (some go for a band/sash, other LO)
when I find LOchamp, I try to Hypnosis it straight away, but the HAX gods often dislike it (my reason for considering a sash)

ok, done another update, please someone rate! I've peaked at 423rd, but I want to get better!
Trolololol, laddering, HAH, REAL MEN play unrated battles. Okay 3 suggestions:
1. As you have no SE hits on it outside of U-turn, which you'll have to switch Darmanitian back in to use, and it's rather bulky, Reuniclus is going to give you problems.... Problem?

2. It's actually really hard to find walls that work in Sun as it boosts the Fire weakness on Steels, however, I shall suggest Gliscor, as 1 of his weaknesses takes a hit from Drought and he's just pretty awesome.

3. One thing about Venusaur, Poison Atks are pretty useless, they have awful neutral coverage and only hit Grass for SE damage, I know you don't want to, for bulk issues, but I suggest you drop Sludge Bomb & go mixed, it gets Outrage & EQ which is hard ignore and after 1 boost you instantly have 400 attack even un Evd, that way you don't have to de-bulk at all, just change the nature.

1. ok, I understand you Derp, but Flare Blitz on Darmanitan is so strong, that it can dent Reuniclus and maybe OHKO with rocks up, I'll do a calc...

3. Poison allows me to hit Dragon types that would otherwise resist me, and I thought of outrage, but the confusion is really too much of a drawback
Venusaur really suffers from 4-moveslot syndrome here, as I need HP fire to take on ferrothorn/scizor, and If I drop Sludge bomb for EQ, I'll get walled by D-nite and Sally (oh the horror)

2. I agree, once I lose momentum, I find it hard to regain it, I may swap kingdra out for Gliscor, but until then, I think I'll just bulk up Claydol and be done with it, he's only there as a spinner/rocker... so he might as well wall while he's at it

Take the sash off of sawsbuck. Unless youre really that scared of priotity. Also, i would swap the life orb on darmanitan to choice band. Hes a get in, get out poke and with flare blitz doing a load of damage, you want to keep as much hp as possible. It seems to me kingdra is your only dragon counter.. That usually wont do, since a good ol scarfchomp can wreck a sun team. Swap psychic for ice beam on claydol. Thatll greatly increase its coverage and can dent chomp and pals quite nicely, while they fail to hit you very hard.

I dont get it: why are you using black sludge? Hurt trickers? What prevents them from switchhing out and tricking it back into any other pokemon of yours, like Claydol, whose survivability would be harshly reduced?

I dont think there is anything you can do with Sawsbuck bulkiness... it IS frail, you gotta deal with it :/ Of course, you can use those last 4 EV points, but that wont make a HUGE difference...

Pomo: Why Shouldn't I use Black Sludge!? Not only does it hurt trickers (a side effect) but It give Venusaur healing! My Venusaur is also meant to be a bit of a mixed wall/sponger, so it needs that bit of healing...

why? what do YOU suggest I use???

Pokemon A Tricks Venusaur.
Pokemon A can now trick Black Sludge onto any of your other Pokemon (like Claydol) and harm them badly.
Leftovers > Black Sludge

@SSBM

Pokemon A tricks Venusaur
Pokemon A Takes Damage
Pokemon A Tricks Back to Venusaur
why not?

OR
Pokemon A Faints

I'm not stupid, I'd keep Venusaur in to kill it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)