Spring 2011 anime season

CyzirVisheen

Am I poplar yet?
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
More thoughts on new anime:
A Foru-Channel Cute and relatively inoffensive. Tooru is like a cute guard dog that fawns over its owner, which in this case is a klutzy space cadet. Nothing special but I'll continue watching it.

30-sai no Hoken Taiiku It's uh. It's quite something. I recommend giving it a watch, if just for the first episode. It's terrible, absolutely terrible. But it got a few genuine laughs out of me.

Maria+Holic S2 Yay god and Matsurika. Pretty much a reintroduction of the characters, and looks to retain the status quo of the previous season.

Kampfer WELP

gk

mighty
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Of what has been aired so far this season, Hanasaku and Kaiji have been the real stand-outs to me, Tiger & Bunny looks like it could be fun, and I'm somewhat indifferent to everything else but I'll give them all a little while longer. Definitely going to watch both Noitamina shows as always as well.

Also X-Men is lining up to be the best of the marvel trio, already off to a better start than iron man or wolverine, and some solid action directors coming up:
<MEGATRON> EP3 Hiroya Iijima (Afro Samurai)
<MEGATRON> EP4 Tomonori Kogawa (Ideon)
<MEGATRON> EP5 Yoshiaki Kawajiri (Ninja Scroll)
<MEGATRON> EP6 Michinori Chiba (Gundam 00) Ken Otsuka (Star Driver finale)

I just caught the first episode of C. It was pretty trippy (as I would expect from the director of Trapeze), not entirely sure what to make of it so far but I guess I have no complaints.

Tiger and Bunny has been nothing but enjoyable so far.

I also decided to start watching the latest season of Gintama, even though I'm over a hundred episodes behind. I was a bit reluctant to skip ahead several seasons, but the season 5 intro completely shattered any misgivings I might have had, along with the fourth wall.

CyzirVisheen

Am I poplar yet?
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I guess I'll bump this topic again with some more stuff that have aired:
Ano Hana A surprise hit, one that pretty much came out of nowhere for me. Definitely on the top this season with Kaiji and Hanasaku Iroha
Ao no Exorcist style is solid, though it reeks of homolust errywhere
C Yugioh with money. Not bad at all though, interesting premise

So far it's looking like:

Pretty good:
Ano hi
Hanasaku
Twgok s2
Kaiji s2
Steins Gate

Solid:
Toriko
Deadman Wonderland
Ao no Exorcist
Enma-kun
Azazel

Ok:
Tiger and Bunny
C
Denpa Onna

Mediocre/garbage:
Moshidora
Hyouge Mono
Sket Dance
Hidan no Aria
Maria Holic
Nichijou
Dog Days
A Channel
Softenni
Hoshizora
Tsubasa

there's no standout like Madoka so far (unless you count Gintama) but very good season regardless.

AnoHana is nothing short of amazing and far and away my favorite show this season, every episode just brings wave after wave of nostalgia accompanied by only the manliest of tears. The second episode reminded me of Okkusenman in many ways; the series is really good at reproducing that same bittersweet feeling.

Hanasaku Iroha is an emotional roller coaster. It's definitely not something I was prepared for when I first started watching, but I'm really enjoying it so far.

Incidentally, both AnoHana and Hanasaku Iroha are written by Mari Okada, which is part of what prompted me to check out Hanasaku Iroha in the first place.

I started out liking Tiger & Bunny and while I can't say that this has really changed, I will confess that the show has gotten highly predictable in the past few episodes. I think this is partly a combination of the characters not having gotten a lot of development so far (leading to rather flat/one-dimensional portrayals of most of the main cast) and also being too faithful to many of the conventions that all too many "monster of the week" shows abide by. There's just no tension and you can only repeat the same story so many times before it becomes unpalatable. All that being said I still think Tiger & Bunny still has the potential to bee one of this season's best shows and for a 24-episode series it's doing as well as one could reasonably expect at this point. Based on the next episode preview it seems like the big bad will be introduced next week, so that will hopefully shake things up a bit.

C seems okay so far but in the back of my mind there's this fear that when I'm done I'm going to look at the series and realize that it was a huge waste of time. The show so far has operated entirely on unanswered questions and neither the characters nor the story so far have been anything tremendously impressive. It has potential but I've yet to see it realized.

Pretty much everyone I know who is watching Steins;Gate seems ambivalent about it right now. A number of people have told me that it's worth watching just for Kana Hanazawa's performance alone, but I see little point in that when I can acquire the same in a hyper saturated form. I think I'll wait until the final verdict is in at the end of the season before deciding whether or not to watch this.

Nichijou usually manages to have one or two exceptionally enjoyable scenes each episode, and that alone has been enough to keep me watching to this point. However, I'm very close to my tolerance threshold. I think by now the novelty has worn off and stuff that was confusing enough to keep my mind active (if not entertaining) now just seems tripe and boring. I don't think I'll make it through all 24 episodes of this.

gk

mighty
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
I more or less agree with fishin but i'd put nichijou and hen zemi in to ok, yondemasu yo azazel-san in to pretty good (it's probably my second favorite of the season), and also think that Anohana is by far the #1 this season, it's just great and there's nothing that I don't like about it.

Also despite denpa onna not being the greatest I love the character designs on top of me loving pretty much anything shaft does.

Steins Gate is enjoyable enough for it's character interactions alone in my opinion, I like all of the main 4 a lot (especially okarin). After the direction Chaos Head's story went I'm not too confident that it'll turn out so hot, but so far it's been nothing but enjoyable for me.

I do agree that Anohana is the show of the season so far though. It's nostalgic and surprisingly emotional, given that I was expecting just another sol.

Nichijou's humor is pretty random, which isn't my thing. I've heard it gets a bit better after the first episode, but given how I felt about K-on and Lucky Star I don't really feel like giving it another chance.

Summer 2011 plz.
Summer actually looks pretty weak atm, it seems to be a bunch of part moe part whatever shows that could be good but in the end probably won't be. Only thing that has my interest so far is Sacred Seven, and that's mainly because of the Guy Shishio palette swap in the art.

Fall on the other hand I'm hyped for just due to Fate Zero since ufotable is pretty good with adaptions and the novels are excellent. IIRC there were also a couple other interesting looking shows like the Persona 4 anime, though I'm not as sure about that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)