6-0'd by Gyarados!

6-0'd by Gyarados

Yes, this has become a recurring theme for this team. It happens so many times that it's just sad. When it doesn't happen, Gyara has an amazing sidekick by the name of Scizor to help him out! Anywho... Meet the team!

Gyarados (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 60 HP / 136 Atk / 104 Def / 208 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Ice Fang

Why?
The team (unintentionally) was built around this guy, so he's the centerpiece. His attacks provide some great coverage, he's bulky, he can sweep entire teams, and his ability, Intimidate, is absolutely wonderful. It rivals Levitate and Shadow Tag for the best one out there. This Poke can do it all. Every team should be prepared for it.

Attacks
Dragon Dance is, well, Dragon Dance. Switch-in to something favorable and set-up. Waterfall is a necessity, I believe for Gyarados. STAB, flinch hax, 80 base power. After a DD, It'll mess things up. I like it more than aqua tail, because it only hits a small amount softer, but it's more accurate. EQ is there for more coverage. Hits things like Heatran, Metagross, and others really hard. Ice Fang seems to be scarce on Gyarados these days.. WHY!? Bye Bye every single dragon out there... I think I have perfect Coverage, really with these attacks.

Synergy
Forces switches with Intimidate, which is always nice. It has a great typing, allowing it to absorb Fighting, Fire, Ground, Bug, and Steel very nicely. Scizor counter? You betcha! It also takes out a lot of the metagame itself.

Scizor (M) @ Choice Band
Trait: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 120 SDef / 136 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Bullet Punch
- Bug Bite
- Superpower
- Pursuit

Why?
Gyarados' sidekick. Where it may not have resistances to Rock and Ground, it does only have one weakness, which Gyara can cover. It can clean up virtually anything Gyarados can't, especially with the Choice Band. Usuall I run a SD Scizor, but the Band has actually proved to be much better recently. I can get out and spam the Bullet Punches more and get easier revenge kills. Also, did I mention it owns Reuniclus? (Ban that thing, please!)

Attacks
Bullet Punch is standard. I use it a lot more now that I have Choice Band. Bug Bite over U-Turn on this set. Gets more power, kills Reuniclus right there and then, and if I need to switch, I'll just switch. Superpower gets things like Ferrothorn, T-Tar, any Steel, really that might be in my way. Great move! Pursuit is basically filler, but can kill off those ghosts and those Lati's!

Synergy
Only one weakness is nice! Takes care of a lot of the meta game. It can spam a Teched priority move, and has a HUGE plethora of resistances. A staple for all of my teams.

Rotom-W @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Thunderbolt
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Why?
Why don't I have a gif for this? Couldn't find one, sorry... Anyway, this takes care of a lot of threats, especially Drizzle teams. It has also nearly taken out entire SS teams as well. Overall, it's just a really good Poke to have in the middle of your team. Bulk and Power... I'll take it!

Attacks
T-Bolt = Best STAB Electric attack. Hydro Pump = I wish it had surf, but this will suffice for now. Will-O-Wisp is very nice! Cripples many sweepers that I might have trouble with. I like to use it when I know my opponent will switch to Ferrothorn. Really helps kill it. Even better when I catch an Excadrill on the switch! Pain Split, of course, is for recovery, and taking a chunk out of things while I'm at it.

Synergy
Counters Hippowdon, Excadrill, Garchomp sometimes, Scizor, Heatran, Tornadus, Politoed, the likes... Great little role-player to have on any team. ONly has one weakness, as well, taken care of by most of my team.

Virizion @ Leftovers Trait: Justified
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Calm Mind
- Giga Drain
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Why?
My team came to a winning standstill, so i decided to replace my Gengar. I shopped around a bit and came upon Virizion, a Pokemon I have never used. It has become a welcomed addition to the team and has catapulted me from my win drought. It's a great fit with Gyarados, because it covers both weaknesses. Its EV's may seem a bit weird to people, but I really like it! I ran a Celebi with these EV's before and it was an absolute tank. Virizion can set up on a Specs Latios Ice Beam... Yeah. I think I'll keep it in my core.

Attacks
Calm Mind to start. Basically just sets it up to start its reign. Giga Drain is the Grass move of choice. It gets STAB and provides recovery, which is needed after setting up sometimes. Also gives me an answer to Rotom-W that I didn't previously have. Focus Blast is the very powerful Fighting STAB. Swlf explanatory. Hidden Power Fire was thrown on for extra coverage of steels. I think I may need to change it though. Maybe throw on Rest or HP Ice/Elec. We'll see.

Synergy
Tank/Sweeper... Just how I like them! Covers all weaknesses of Gyarados. Can threaten Excadrill, which is always nice, and helps Rotom-W keep bulky waters at bay. Hahaha... get it?

Heatran (M) @ Air Balloon
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 128 HP / 252 SAtk / 128 SDef
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Overheat
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Stealth Rock

Why?
Well... You see, Ferrothorn, Scizor, Garchomp, and Lati@s can be a problem. Tada! Heatran can do the job here. This thing is super bulky, so it can take many attacks with ease, and it can hit 3 times harder. My god, Overheat just overwhelms. I can even use it in succession and it'll crank out KO's. Just a solid addition to the team to help counter things I'd have some problems with.

Attacks
Overheat was chosen, because most people have a counter to Heatran. I can hit really hard with Overheat and then get out. I will not change this move as it has performed amazingly well. Earth Power is for coverage, to take out other pesky steels and the likes. HP Ice kills all of the dragons, which is definitely a plus! Stealth Rock is rarely used, but it comes in handy when I do use it. If I see a team might have trouble with it, I'll go ahead and use it. Gives me an advantage. Besides, what else would go in that slot? Awful Movepool.

Synergy
Absorbs Fire. Can take ground attacks when the balloon is up. Kills most dragons. Hits really hard with Overheat. Can give me an advantage with Stealth Rocks. It's really an overlooked Pokemon nowadays. Also, I think it makes a really good partner with Scizor and Gyarados.

Garchomp (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sand Veil
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Substitute
- Swords Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake

Why?
It's Garchomp... The closest thing to being broken this gen... Well, except Thundurus... This rapes everything! It has an amazing typing for sweeping, a great set up move, and Overwhelming stats! Honestly, why wouldn't you want this?

Attacks
Good old Sub-Dance Chomp! I love to get a sub up and get 1 or 2 Swords Dances under my belt and sweep away. Sub-Dance works very well with Sand Veil. The attacks for this set are definitely standard, so I won't bore you with a dry explanation.

Synergy
No explanation needed here, really.. It just sweeps. That's it. Doesn't take hits, only has one immunity... I'll keep him though! He works as an amazing sweeper for this team!

Feel free to critique in any way possible!
Keep it constructive though!​

Considerations
Tyranitar - Seems like he may fit in well with the team. Good Rock resist and can be a good counter to the likes of Jolteon with it's special defense. Would also aid Garchomp in using his sub set effectively.
ScarfChomp - Would outspeed Jolteon and many others and still pack a punch. SubChomp has proved to be devastating though..
Metagross - I dont know... Just like it.
Breloom - I tried it out, but I can't seem to use it right. If someone could only teach me... *wink*
TAKING OUT THE FOLLOWING: Rotom-W, Heatran. may revamp the whole core.

Threats
Jolteon - Rotom/Heatran usually end up taking care of it... at the demise of 1 or 2 Pokes.
Thundurus - Umm..... Ban this thing. It's INCREDIBLY broken.
Sun Teams - Can't seem to get them down. My main reason for throwing in T-tar.
Heatran - If Gyarados is gone..... yeah.

hi, I was trying out your team a little, I don't know if thats against the rules, but it was interesting, I won a couple and lost a couple. I'm new, and this is my first experience with wifi battling. I hope you don't mind. I don't know if this helps at all, but when I was playing, i seemed to have a difficult time keeping gyarados alive. This is probably due to noob-ness like inability to predict and I didn't make the team, I don't really know what I'm doing yet, etc. but i'm wondering if there is special consideration you have to account for if this is a problem for you.
Anyways, I really think the gyarados is a well thought out poke, especially paired with the scizor, it makes alot of sense!

I used to have those problems with gyarados, and still do sometimes. You may be making the mistake of trying to go for the all out sweep every time he is out. You probably shouldnt do this. And sometimes you really shouldnt even dragon dance. You just gotta get used to how to use him. Did you notice any threats to the team or changes i needed to make?

Id use U-turn on the Scizor becasue you dont wanna get trapped and murdered by a Magnezone with HP Fire :P

I like Gyarados a lot, and still think it's very underrated this gen. Have you tried Taunt over Ice Fang? With Taunt, it easily sets up on Skarmory and the like, and can continue to boost itself with DD. I dislike the Fang moves, because I never feel that they have enough damage output - what do you want to hit with it? It seems like a combination of Rotom, Scizor, Heatran, and Garchomp will deal with the Dragons just fine.

My only other recommendation is Disable over Focus Blast on Gengar. A lot of Pokemon only have one move that can hurt Gengar - you Sub on the switch and act accordingly. The two you named, Terrakion and Hydreigon, are good examples of what Disable can handle. Let Terrakion Stone Edge and then Disable it, because it can't hit you with CC or EQ. Almost all Hydreigon are choiced, you you can disable whatever it attacks you with and completely shut it down, forcing a switch.

@jle1076: I'll pass on U-Turn. As much as i would hate for that Magnezone to come in, dealing with Reuniclus is more important, and team preview can tell me to not bring Scizor in until it's taken care of. I may test it out though. I'm not really sure how much a banded U-Turn would do to Reuniclus. Thanks =]

@lostaurora: You're right about the damage being low... BUT I like Ice Fang a lot. I tried Taunt and it just didnt work for me. I'll take the one DD waterfall free hit on Skarm and then come in and kill it with Rotom. Ice Fang just helps with the all-around sweep. Also, I'm not a fan of Taunt at all.. not even on Thundurus. As for Gengar, I am testing out Disable over Pain Split right now. I want at least 2 attacking moves on it though.. Crazy OCD I have. Thanks =]

yes, bug bite owns x-scissor with technician.
rates anyone?
come on...
I've hit a dry spot in my battling.
it needs something.

Quick changes I would seriously consider:

With Rotom-W I have rarely if ever found myself using willow-wisp and pain split, ferrothorn laughs off a willow-wisp and pain split is meh. Ditch one of those, and get hidden power fire, which is amazing for coverage. Also it needs some sort of speed to outspeed Gliscor, I forget the evs but they are on the site.

And again, painsplit is meh on Gengar, honestly I would rather use thunderbolt.

@Scarfwynaut: I find myself using wil-o-wisp A LOT. It's not just for ferrothorn, it's just something I find funny. it doesnt need to outspeed gliscor at all... what's gliscor gonna do to it? I could consider dropping Pain Split, but not for Hp fire.. too weak of a move on this poke.
I was thinking about trying out t-bolt on gengar. havent gotten around to it yet. pain split gives it a lot more longevity though.

it poisons me, i hit it with hydro pump, it dies. next victim. the only wall that switches in on rotom is ferrothorn, really. and ferro and gliscor are easily coverd by the rest if need be.

With Scizor you might want to try out Genesect instead. It has overall better hp, def, sp. def, and 99 base speed. Genesect also has 120 base attack and sp attack with its ability 'download' it could be a viable option as a mixed sweeper. Since it is a mixed attacker you can have bug buzz along with flamethrower, thunderbolt, icebeam, psychic or energy ball for coverage to beat steel types, dragons and ttar. It lacks bullet punch but speed and defenses are good enough to not need the priority move. Scizor for damage and Genesect for coverage

Geneaect hasnt been released yet, and will most likely be banned when it is released. So, i wont be using it.

One thing I'm wondering about is why you have Hidden Power Ice over Dragon Pulse on your Heatran. I do realize that you hit Garchomp, Dragonite, and Salamence harder, but after they pop your Air Balloon, you're really not going to be staying in as they all outspeed and KO with Earthquake.

Well, in the dilemma you just described, dragon pulse wouldnt help out either. Its all about prediction. Switch in to an eq or an outrage, then ohko em with hp ice. All except dragonite, of course, who is taken care of elsewhere on the team.

If you are using your Rotom Wash as anti rain, have you considered Thunder over Thunderbolt? By using your opponent's weather against them you eliminate the accuracy problem, while getting more power which you might need to punch through those bulky waters.

The drawback is if your opponent is using waters on a non rain team, or anything else that is weak to electric Thunder missing will get annoying. So there's pros and cons either way.

Yeah, i thought about it. As you pointed out, the cons of that are significant. I decided just to stick with t-bolt. It still does its job againts the rain.

In Gen4, I used Electivire alongside Gyarados. Gyara is a magnet for electric attacks and Electivire just loves them, plus he learns EQ to punish whoever sent the bolt your way. His movepool isn't great, but it's good enough to warrant I try I think.

Also, you've pretty much disregarded everything anyone has said to you, yet you fish for more rates. This is rude and pretty counterproductive.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)