My attempt at an original but strong Standard Team

Hey guys!
I'm pretty new to Pokemon Wi-Fi battles and stuff. I basically just started again with the release of B&W and I've been on PO a little to try stuff out.

With my first team, I wanted to have a strong standard team that can beat strong OU-Teams if played right, however I wanted to include some original Pokemon which are not standard-OU pokemon, but can still do well!
With that said, here's my team:

At one look:

-------------------------------------------------------------

Absol (M) @ Scope Lense
Trait: Super Luck
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch
- Night Slash
- Superpower

Absol is one of my favourite Pokemon and it was one of the first I put into this team, so you could say it's build around him.
The EV-Spread and attacks are fairly standard in my opinion, I sometimes use him as lead to get some early damage or scare out e.g. Tyranitars with Superpower (or kill them if they don't switch out). But apart from that I use him as Lategame sweeper or to revenge kill anything that's weak to Sucker Punch or at low HP. Of course there's alot of threats I have to eliminate before i can start sweeping with Absol, but as I said it's one of my favourite Pokemons, so im willing to take that into account.
Since Absol already has really bad defenses, especially in OU-Matches I didn't want give him a Life Orb to cripple him further with every hit, so I gave him a scope lense to provide Night Slash with a really high crit ratio with Super Luck.

Mandibuzz (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Overcoat
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Roost
- Toxic
- Brave Bird
- Taunt

My special wall which I sometimes use as anti-lead too if i see something like a Swampert on the opposing team (hence the taunt). Yeah apart from that he's basically just a special wall that can toxic stall quite well thanks to the great type coverage and roost. Also another reason why I use Mandibuzz is simply my Hipster side: People just don't use it too often (:
EV Spread,Nature and Lefties should be self explanatory.
~However, I've been thinking about switching to 12xDef/12xSDef since this seems to be my only real wall. Any opinions on that?

Scrafty (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Shed Skin
EVs: 140 HP / 212 Atk / 156 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Bulk Up
- Drain Punch
- Crunch
- Ice Punch

Everyone's favorite Baggy-Pants guy..thing. He just looks so funny&awesome.
I'm using a different EV Spread with 140HP on my Scrafty to make it a little bit bulkier, especially with an Adamant Drain Punch that heals him quite a bit.
I chose Shed Skin since I'm not planning to sweep with this guy troughout the game (->No Moxy) but simply stall out the stallers(heh) and maybe get 1 or 2 DDs up meanwhile.

Zapplarang (Eelektross) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Thunderbolt
- Flamethrower
- Acid Spray
- Hidden Power [Ground]

One of my two special attackers. I love Eelektross simply because, as we all know, it has a pretty nice natural bulk and has no weaknesses thanks to levitate. I use an Acid Spray set since my Eelektross is completely Special so i can decrease the special defense of anything that the enemy switches into so i can kill it with Eelektross or Lilligant. I would love to run choice specs on this guy but that would ruin the whole purpose of an Acid Spray set, so yeah..
I got HP Ground as 4th move because this was one of the last Pokes I put in and I just noticed that I was completely lacking Earthquake or anything smiliar. Also it's a nice suprise as people mostly expect Grass Knot or HP Ice as 4th Move.

Lilligant (F) @ Life Orb
Trait: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Giga Drain
- Sleep Powder
- Quiver Dance
- Hidden Power [Ice]

I'm not a girl, but Lilligant is so cute, I had to use her as my other special attacker/special sweeper. Sleep Powder obviously always is a useful move, especially when I predict a switch and get at least 1-2 free quiver dances up to start sweeping with Giga Drain and HP Ice, which once again many people don't even expect on Lilligant. I was thinking of switching the ability to Own Tempo just because I don't use a sun team, but I thought it wouldn't really prove that useful so I'd just keep Chlorophyll to make use of enemy sun-teams rarely.

Espeon (M) @ Light Clay
Trait: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 128 Def / 128 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Wish
- Psychic

Main reason I switched to Espeon over Cresselia is Magic Bounce. Basically I don't wanna deal with enemies entry hazards as long as possible and I myself don't have a pokemon to set up Stealth Rocks or anything smiliar myself, so I could get some up with some good prediction skills. The Lunar Dance from Cresselia would've been nice, especially to cure Paralysis or Burn, but Wish makes up for part of it.
Apart from that I just wanted a supporter for Lilligant and Absol, since they both die to like every STABed move in 1hit if I don't have Screens up, so that's the main thought about my last poke: support.
Psychic is pretty standard, I also don't have any Psychic moves on my team so I chose it over Baton Pass.
Before:

Cresselia (F) @ Light Clay
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 148 Def / 40 SDef / 68 Spd
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Lunar Dance
- Ice Beam

-------------------------------------------------------------
Okay, so in summary I have Eelektroloss and Scrafty as bulky 'bruisers' that kill off some enemy Pokemon and do some damage to others, while Espeon supports this and Mandibuzz takes hits and Toxics. Then in the end Absol and Lilligant are supposed to come in and set up/sweep the enemy team so i can win.
I noticed I don't have the greatest defense while my offense seems to be decent. Also I don't have any entry hazards and no spinner, which both might prove problematic. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Some more about the team in general:
As I said before, this team is mainly built around Absol and Lilligant, so if it needs changes badly, I would definitely prefer keeping both of those in and switching out some other Pokemon!
As also mentioned, I only played a little with this Team on PO because I don't know anyone to play with and don't want to go trough the hassle with the Friend Codes just to get owned by much better players, since I know for sure I still need to work on this team! I would create a Threat list, however If I lose matches or get completely swept by 1 or 2 Pokemon, I'm not experienced enough to be able to tell whether that was my bad or my team's so I'll put one in later.

Yeah, I'm completely certain this team is far from perfect even if I could play it right and that is why I'm asking for help here. My type coverage seems a little lacking, especially on the defensive side. My offensive side seems quite okay so far but I seem to have problems with taking hits. Does anyone have an idea on what to do about that?

As I said, any help is greatly appreciated and I hope that some people take the time to read my walls of text and are willing to provide a newbie with some support! Thanks in advance!

(Okay, read over it 5times and changed stuff; hope it's okay now!)

What a nice little team you have, its very unpredictable and unexpected, it looks quite menacing.

IMO Bulk up on scrafty, i have used both varietys and i much prefer bulk up, but if you find the dragon dance one a better option stick with that, but at a glance thats the only thing i can see (that i would change) but where all different

What a nice little team you have, its very unpredictable and unexpected, it looks quite menacing.

IMO Bulk up on scrafty, i have used both varietys and i much prefer bulk up, but if you find the dragon dance one a better option stick with that, but at a glance thats the only thing i can see (that i would change) but where all different
Thanks for the reply!
I just tried a few matches of Bulk-Up Scrafty and it definitely worked alot better!

I also got some nice Lilligant sweeps off in PO =) I seem to be getting the hang of this team and it really doesn't seem too bad

Bump!
I switched to Bulk Up on scrafty and it definitely works alot better, I was able to take some nice hits! :3
I also switched Cresselia out for Espeon, reasons are mentioned above.

I've been thinking to switch one of Absol's moves to Psycho Cut maybe because I already have Scrafty with a non-priority Dark Type STAB. Maybe I should switch out his Crunch too, or just leave everything the way it is? I'm not too sure.

Unless I missed something, isn't wish on a magic bounce espeon illegal? Wish being an egg-move and all dream world eeveelutions being male. You could add in Baton Pass in place of that, or HP Fight for some more coverage if you wanted. Or, switch to Xatu. It has access to the same moves, but is considerably weaker and slower. If your point is only to get in, stop entry hazards then get out, the drop in power may not be that bad, but the speed drop could hurt. You're probably better off just changing Wish, but the option is there.

Unless I missed something, isn't wish on a magic bounce espeon illegal? Wish being an egg-move and all dream world eeveelutions being male. You could add in Baton Pass in place of that, or HP Fight for some more coverage if you wanted. Or, switch to Xatu. It has access to the same moves, but is considerably weaker and slower. If your point is only to get in, stop entry hazards then get out, the drop in power may not be that bad, but the speed drop could hurt. You're probably better off just changing Wish, but the option is there.
I actually never thought of that, thanks for pointing that out.
Your reasoning on why it wouldn't work makes sense, I'll look into it some more but I guess I'm not gonna use it that way. Probably just gonna switch out Wish then. Thanks!

The only real problem I have with your team is Absol, I use pokes just cause I like them too sometimes (I keep insisting that Beedrill is competitively viable but no one believes me!) but Absol in OU suffers from the same problem as it does in UU.... It's slow... As shit. Even with Sucker Punch you can't bypass that always, as it never hits when your opponent is not attacking and with so many boosting mons this guy is easily countered. Basically, if you don't have defenses of some sort (65/60/60) or at least base 100 speed paired with a viable attacking stat... Well then it's not worth using in OU. Sorry.

Yeah I agree with the guy above and am also sorry because I LOVE absol :/
Anyway, this metame is basically dominated by weather and dragons. A steel poke is MANDATORY. Draco meteor from latios and hydrageon will ko one by one of your team members as u pack no resist to dragon (hence steel). You will also struggle against rain teams, as toxicroak can take care of electross and Lilly is not bulky enough to take fast hits. That is why I recommend, as OU as it is, nattorei as out grass poke. It solves both problems at the same time, though croak is still a problem (Espeon can't handle sucker punch). I'd then replace espeon with something else, perhaps anti lead thudurous.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)