The Fysical Phitness Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
1) Yes, you definitely need to sit back a bit more when you do your squats. Make sure you're beginning your squats by moving your hips back instead of bending at the knees first. Imagine going to sit on a toilet and go from there (basically the same advice given to me lol)

2) I still have problems with my lower back on squats, so the best advice I can give you is just keep on doing the dynamic stretches to work on your flexibility. Also you could try doing Supermans to work on keeping your lower back tight, athough the main problem will most likely be flexibility related.

3) From the first video, it really looks like your wrists aren't staying straight. Make a conscious effort to have them start out in line with your forearm and stay in line throughout the entire squat. You might even try putting the bar a little bit higher on your traps, but don't do this if it makes your lower back problems worse (it might)
http://stronglifts.com/squat-2-stands-flexibility-mobility-exercise/

you could also try this stretch. Your lower back might get sore at first from it but it is pretty effective

thanks pope; I will invest in your suggestions.

@venom: i couldn't agree more. something just seems off about it all to me, like i changed some slight thing that's thrown everything off. i just can't figure it out.

Im sure you guys have heard similar stories before, and I'm not sure if I should post here, but w/e >_<
Im 16 years old, 6 ft tall, 140 lbs, and physically active (I play club soccer 3-4 times a week with a game a week).

If I want to continue to play at this level I need to get bigger. Ive been drinking protein shakes for a few months now, but would appreciate any good suggestions for work-outs, as Ive started going to a gym to bulk up.
As far as cardio-vasuclar work outs are concerned, I think I'm ok. But the best work outs for gaining muscle would be appreciated! :)
similar to me (bar the 60 lbs weight difference). i've been doing SL for 5 weeks (although recently restarted due to the problem you have probably now read about or seen and made fun of!) and it works fine. before that i was doing general workouts through my school and they were fine. my mile time is hanging around 7:20 with little speed work since my fall season ended (no spring season this year; not enough for a team) and i'm doing stat's endurance work as of the last few weeks.

in short: i highly reccomend SL or SS and you should be fine. especially since (i assume, true for my state) club will be ending in a monthish and you'll have a solid month off before school starts (which i assume you play). you ought to make some solid gains before summer ball! dew eet and prosper

thanks CBshuckle, i'll def try to keep those tips in mind at practice the coming couple weeks.

how'd you do in the meet you had today?
The conditions were awesome so a lot of PR's were broken. Personally I got 11.8 in the 100 and 37' flat in the triple, though there was a slight tailwind in the hundred. I'm kind of happy, but in terms of the standings I didn't place too well. I'm thinking of not lifting anymore for the rest of the track season since it may be making me more exhausted - I just didn't feel that good during the meet, as I had in the beginning of the season.

Also, Stylish as mobile said, stick your lower back out before you start to go down to squat, then once you come all the way up tuck your back back in, then stick it back out again, go down, etc. If you stick it out as you go down... I'm not sure exactly what bad thing it does but I know it's not the good way to squat, and I feel like it would put more strain on your knees. This way, while you're squatting your knees are (pretty much) above your feet the whole time, as opposed to when you go down before sticking your lower back out, where your knees will go a little past your toes. Hope that helps.

Just curious, what do distance runners do after high school?

My final track season, I ended with a 4:45 mile PR and I think I was till improving (I always improved, or stayed the same at the worst, every race that season). Now I'm ending my first year of college and I don't know what I'm suppose to do. College athletics are out of the picture (lol Division I), but I would still like to do races. I know there aren't specific races you have to run like high school, but what are the common racing distances that you guys run (8k, 10k, half-marathon, something else entirely, etc.)

Also, on a different note, I'm kind of embarrassed because I can't do decent push-ups. My back always slouches after I do like five and my arms pretty much give out around sixteen (which means those last ten push-ups look like I'm humping the ground). Advice?

EDIT:
@Stathakis
I didn't know you were still in high school given your mileage! Keep it up!
I think once you're done with high school and college running (xc and track), if you're not elite or sub-elite (i.e. 13:30 5k or faster), then the most action you get is on the roads in all-comers road races.

from what I can tell about the road racing scene, most races are 5k and half marathon, this being because nobody races the 8k or 10k and most marathons also have a half marathon. obviously, people aren't going to be racing marathons every month, unless they don't race (i.e. the 4:00+ guys). 5k is just sort of the standard distance I guess, because I see 5k road races all the time. so, yeah, my guess would be 5k and half marathon. also, when I talk to most (fast) post-college guys, that's what they're doing for races, maybe once a month, and 1 marathon every 6 months or so. idk

on another note, I was running with my buddy who plays basketball (who, might I add, ran a 4:28 mile last week 'cause he felt like it'--I was there, watching in disbelief). he just sort of goes out and runs however much he feels like most days, but today was his "workout day." and what did we do? backwards laps, 'cause he felt like it.' let me tell you, a lap of backpedaling is more painful than a lap at mile race pace. we did 4 of them and then jogged 3 miles and I was WRECKED! my thighs were burning like no hill has ever made them burn before. sprinters, try these out! the way your mechanics are backwards, they really work your thighs, which provide all the knee lift, AND since you have to be so springy when doing them, you work on fast turnover and low ground contact time! this basketball dude who doesn't even run has found the ultimate speed workout that doesn't involve puking or compromising the next day's practice! it's like I've struck gold.

oh and in other news I squatted for the first time in my life today, 3x5 @ 135 below parallel, and I felt like I could move a whole ton more with my legs. let's see if I can't hit 275 or 300 by next fall

Just started properly going to the gym, decided I needed to gain some muscle, my abs are coming along great but my chest is still teeny-tiny. Can people suggest some chest-building exercises for me?

Any of you guys ever hear of athlean x? I'm pretty sure that I'm going to try it, because it seems like it'd be relatively easy to go on with good results likely. It seems like it's similar to p90x, but takes less time and allegedly gives better results.

http://athleanx.com/

They have a youtube channel with free vids up too. Just wanting some opinions on it before I buy. Looks like something I could gain strength on without getting too bulky. I can't loose my speed for tennis.

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
good god, i hate hate hate the sound of that just from their initial sales pitch.

athleanx said:
Why Long Workouts Are Simply Not Necessary And Are Actually Killing Any Chances You Have To Gain Muscle Fast! (Get the muscle building program top celebs and athletes REALLY use to get results when they're crunched for time)
this idea of it 'taking less time than p90x but giving better results' just stinks of bullshit to me. I haven't looked into it but it seems to be targeted at lazy people who have dreams of getting fit without actually putting in the hard work and, naturally, they're gonna end up dissapointed. You're probably better off doing some research, talking to some experts and then designing your own programme.

you're doing it wrong
Lee likes this.

Looks like something I could gain strength on without getting too bulky. I can't loose my speed for tennis.
This is one of the things I hear a lot and it really bothers me.

You won't get bulky unless you eat a lot. Doing a real strength training program won't make you big overnight and it will definitely increase your speed (significantly increased leg strength will do that). You won't get bulky unless you really want to. Don't waste your time with that useless athleteX or whatever the hell it's called.

this idea of it 'taking less time than p90x but giving better results' just stinks of bullshit to me. I haven't looked into it but it seems to be targeted at lazy people who have dreams of getting fit without actually putting in the hard work and, naturally, they're gonna end up dissapointed. You're probably better off doing some research, talking to some experts and then designing your own programme.
I have looked into it a lot lately actually. I like his workouts that he has put on youtube, they seem better than what I've been doing... It seems the basis of it is that they do more compound workouts than p90x but also using HIIT. I'm sure you know a lot more about this type of thing than I do, since I've only been lifting about half a year though.

This is one of the things I hear a lot and it really bothers me.

You won't get bulky unless you eat a lot. Doing a real strength training program won't make you big overnight and it will definitely increase your speed (significantly increased leg strength will do that). You won't get bulky unless you really want to. Don't waste your time with that useless athleteX or whatever the hell it's called.
Well the reason I was looking into it was because looked to me like the exercises were more creative and safe than a lot of the other stuff. Like this guy doesn't believe in squatting(unless it's perfect, which he says is really uncommon) or leg curls/leg extension machines. Apparently he thinks you should do pistol squats/single leg RDLs/elliptical ball leg circles.

Also, here's a video of a guy comparing athlean x to p90x. I like that athlean x has a 60 day guarantee.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ij9ykODc7W0

I just want to find a good program out there that will get me results without getting me injured. I got hurt recently from working out and had to take 6 weeks off of tennis, so I'm kinda hesitant to keep doing what I was doing.

In case anyone wants to know what I WAS doing, here.

Lat pull down 3x8
Seated chest press (didn't have a bench before) 3x8
preacher curl 3x8
pull back 3x8
tricep extension 3x8
seated fly 3x8
Leg press 3x8
leg curl 3x12
leg extension 3x12
one leg upward press 3x12

I recently joined a fitness 19 now however, so I have access to a lot better equipment. Before I had to deal with my crappy school gym, and I was doing the above workout there twice weekly. (along with my own core stuff at home)

I'm sure my workout was bad, but I basically was just going and doing all the machines available. (bad idea, I know) :/ I want to do more free weight stuff and cardio/conditioning. Before I'd just go out and run about 4 miles about every couple days.

I was going to try going on p90x but I saw this, so I've been eying it more closely. I want to get stronger and leaner at the same time. Also, I can't get to the gym more than like twice a week, since my gym is out of walking distance for me, and I can't always get people to drive me there. It'll be about a month 'till I get my license.

I've been also looking into crossfit/stronglifts/riptoes, but these three seem a bit more time consuming. Obviously I want the shortest possible workouts so I can play tennis more.

Thanks to any help you guys suggest.

the post workout meal / late dinner

of champions

complete with 36, united states, farm fresh guaranteed, straight from the damn happiest fuckin cows in california, fluid ounces of genuine whole milk. yes i just ate / drank like my bodyweight in grams of fat I DON'T CARE!

the post workout meal / late dinner

of champions

complete with 36, united states, farm fresh guaranteed, straight from the damn happiest fuckin cows in california, fluid ounces of genuine whole milk. yes i just ate / drank like my bodyweight in grams of fat I DON'T CARE!
enjoy your kidney stones

I go to the gym 3-4 times a week and for a good portion of the week I practice taekwondo. its nothing fancy but I have noticed a huge difference between when I started and now. I'm more active, I've come to enjoy pushing myself and I've had good times ;)

As a P90X vet, I'll give my opinion on it compared to AthleanX. I watched that comparison video and some others in the youtube sidebar, and I have to say that I'm not blown away.

Lee says it best - the idea of getting more results faster is some bull. P90X workouts don't necessarily take longer than other workouts, though they can if you make them. Walking into the gym with a list of workouts will get you done much faster than watching the videos. Which brings me to my next point: the videos. From what I understand, though I may be wrong, all AthleanX offers in terms of instruction is a booklet with pictures. P90X on the other hand features 11 instructional videos that actually take you through the entire workout. Tony Horton (P90X founder) and three randoms do all the workouts, and Tony walks around the room to point out what's right and wrong about their form and technique. That was pretty invaluable to me. But it is worth noting that the average video ran about an hour, with some going even longer than that.

The meal plan is something I'd like to address too. I followed the full 90-day P90X meal plan, and I can tell you that a lot of the time, it was a BITCH to put those meals together. I had to learn more ways to cook food than I had ever had to do up to that point. And some of the food I didn't even like. I think that AthleanX hit the nail on the head with their "eat whatever you want whenever you want as long as it's not terrible for you" mentality. The lack of recipes and inclusion of simple, easy-to-make food is really good. And the fact that you can eat basically whenever you want is great, it really prevents you from cheating and snacking.

Based on what I've seen, I'd say that P90X is the way to go though. No matter how simple the meal plan is, they're expensive (though P90X more so), so it's more likely that you'll buy the program just for the workouts. P90X I'd say gives you more bang for your buck with the instructional videos, that's really what did it for me. But it's a matter of preference and time, frankly I can't use the videos anymore with my schedule. But still, I pick P90X. Plus, I've never seen more X puns than on the AthleanX website. Give it a rest guys, we get it -__________-

uragg

Walking the streets with you in your worn-out jeans
is a Contributor Alumnus
dam i'm gonna have to try the whole backwards thing, sounds like sound intense stuff. thanks for your other tips too, i've definitely heard 'get your knees up' before without really knowing what it meant, lol.

i've got this problem with when warming up for a run of any sort, and i was wondering if you guys might know what's happening. every time i do a couple of warmup laps of jogging/striding, this muscle on the outside of my lower leg on both of my legs tightens up pretty badly. doing some research on wikipedia, i think it's the peroneus longus (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peroneus_longus_muscle), but i'm not entirely sure. however after i finish a couple of warm-up laps and stop to stretch it out, it's perfectly fine for the rest of the run. should this be something to worry about, or should i just stretch it out beforehand to try to prevent tightness, or what?

also is low weight high rep anything effective for building strength? because my dad is really against lifting of any sort and keeps saying that doing 60-70 reps of squats with 40 lbs. is just as effective as heavier weights...

also is low weight high rep anything effective for building strength? because my dad is really against lifting of any sort and keeps saying that doing 60-70 reps of squats with 40 lbs. is just as effective as heavier weights...
low weight high reps will build very little strength:

1) it's more focused towards muscular endurance than strength
2) it's much harder to add weight on high rep sets than it is on low rep sets

your dad doesn't know what he's talking about

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)