Calm Minds Will Prevail ~

Calm Minds Will Prevail

Ok. Having first stepped into Generation 5 after a little time out of Generation 4 the first thing I noticed was Sand. Everywhere you went there was a Sandstorm lead and an Excadrill in the middle somewhere. I had a go at a Sandstorm team but It just wasn't for me.So when creating this team I soon realised that first and foremost I was going to need to stop these teams. I played around with a few Pokemon, chopped and changed. Then I remembered my destroyer in Gen 4. Suicine.I love Suicine, and more importantly I love CroCune. He is a monster, and he is very rarely seen nowadays. People don't expect it. He has enough defence bulk to withstand Physical hits and then you just Calm Mind up and off you go. With the added bonus of instead of Surf, Scald. 30% Burn chance.

The Team ~

Mienshao (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Inner Focus.
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Fake Out
- Hi Jump Kick
- Stone Edge
- U-turn

I wanted a powerful hard hitter to open up with. He doesn't always open up play. If we see a big bulky steel or a ghost I will open up with Ferro. What I like about Mienshao is how people underestimate him. He hits so hard and people do not expect it. He does a fantastic job at coming finishing people off and U-Turning out without batting an eyelid. I have gone for a Jolly nature to outspeed opposing Mienshao.

Fake-Out is the obvious free damage. Hi-Jump Kick hits so hard. Just need to be sure no Ghost will be switching in or it will hurt. Stone Edge for the Flying types and the neutral damage on Ghosts.

Ferrothorn (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball
- Stealth Rock

The typical Ferrothorn. Does his job well and this is why he is here. He will get rocks up easy. Has amazing survivability when combining Leech Seed with Leftovers. Gyro Ball hits hard on quick Pokemon. Powerwhip deals a decent amount of damage to anyone that doesn't resist it. Ferro is also my go to man when I see a Rain Dance team. They hate him.

Ferro generally goes quite quickly unless I see a need to keep him around as the way my team is I effectively have 4 walls. Standard EV's in SpDef, and a relaxed nature to take a few more Physical hits.

Suicune @ Leftovers
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Scald
- Calm Mind
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Part one of two. Suicine. My go to guy in Generation 4 is my go to guy in generation 5 as well. CroCune is fantastic. With the defensive EV's it can take Physical hits like a steel wall. Then it can calm mind up making Special attacks useless and healed over by leftovers. Once I am up 6+ you continue to Scald and Burn your way through teams. Rest and sleep talking when needed. Bold nature is there so I can take the Physical hits with much more ease.

Latias (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Calm Mind
- Recover
- Dragon Pulse
- Refresh

Part two of two. When running Suicine I thought to myself. I wonder if there are any better Pokemon at this now Gen 5 is about. I originally replaced Suicine with Latias. It worked but Latias gets hit hard by Pursuit and U-Turn. So I nearly placed Suicine back in Latias' place. Then the spark. Why not use them both. They can both fill either roll. Latias and Suicine are my Walls and my Main Sweepers. She works basically in the same way as Suicine expect instead of Resting of Burn/Poison etc, She just refreshes. She isn't as bulky as Suicine but can still take hits well. What I like most is when people try but fail at firing off Ice Beams/HP Ice etc as I Calm Mind up.

Magnezone @ Air Balloon
Trait: Magnet Pull
EVs: 40 HP / 252 SAtk / 216 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Substitute
- Thunderbolt
- Charge Beam
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Steels were giving me trouble. Mainly Scizor. I wanted rid of them. I didn't want a counter. I wanted something that could clear them out and make way for the team. Magnet Pull Zone is perfect. Get behind a sub watch as the steels fail to break it and then HP Fire them away. If I face a Zong or something that just wont go down. I can Charge beam away until my SpAtt goes through the roof. Once the steel has been burnt away, I am generally still behind a sub so I can nail whatever comes in with a Stabbed thunderbolt which will dent anything.

Garchomp (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Sand Veil
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Stone Edge

I did realise that my team lacked something that could hurt from the word go. I tried a few different Pokemon. Hydregion was here for quite a while. I then realised I after having 2 calm minders I needed a Physical Monster. Something that just hurt. Garchomp does that. Scarfing him means he can outrun nearly anything. Coming in late game if my two Calm Minders couldn't quite get to the end. He can come in and Outrage his way through teams. Magnezone was also a choice with this guy in mind. He hates steel types too. I also use ScarfChomp to revenge kill if I don't think Mienshao has the power to do it. I do prefer to save Garchomp till needed though.

Well, there it is. I have enjoyed using this team and have had some good success with it.

I am sure there are some glaring weaknesses that I haven't noticed or haven't come up against. Would really appreciate your feedback on how to make it better. Thanks for reading.

Excellent team, I like the use of Scald CroCune. There is one Pokemon that is going to just outright beat you, though, and that is Reuniclus. It doesn't mind any indirect damage thanks to Magic Guard and through its great bulk, Calm Mind, and Recover, it can beat you fairly easily. This is very easy to fix; simply use Roar over Refresh on Latias. This way, you can CM up to +6 alongside it and then phaze it out, proceeding to sweep the opponent cleanly; it's very hard for many teams to stop a Latias that has Calm Minded six times. Losing the ability to heal Toxics and Thunder Waves is unfortunate but you have a great status absorber in Suicune so it's not that huge a deal. The other thing I want to recommend is to use Spikes over Leech Seed on Ferrothorn. Spikes will help abuse Latias's Roar to the fullest and they aid ScarfChomp in cleaning up weakened teams. I would recommend using it over Gyro Ball but SR+Spikes+LS is illegal, unfortunately. That's all I got for you; great team, good luck!

Excellent team, I like the use of Scald CroCune. There is one Pokemon that is going to just outright beat you, though, and that is Reuniclus. It doesn't mind any indirect damage thanks to Magic Guard and through its great bulk, Calm Mind, and Recover, it can beat you fairly easily. This is very easy to fix; simply use Roar over Refresh on Latias. This way, you can CM up to +6 alongside it and then phaze it out, proceeding to sweep the opponent cleanly; it's very hard for many teams to stop a Latias that has Calm Minded six times. Losing the ability to heal Toxics and Thunder Waves is unfortunate but you have a great status absorber in Suicune so it's not that huge a deal. The other thing I want to recommend is to use Spikes over Leech Seed on Ferrothorn. Spikes will help abuse Latias's Roar to the fullest and they aid ScarfChomp in cleaning up weakened teams. I would recommend using it over Gyro Ball but SR+Spikes+LS is illegal, unfortunately. That's all I got for you; great team, good luck!
Thank you very much for the advice. I will try phazing with Latias seems like it could work very well. Never really thought about extra entry hazards but I suppose with Latias phazing as well spikes would be very handy. Cheers.

Good team, but I would run Regenerator on Mienshao. Inner Focus doesn't do a lot this metagame, and Regenerator heals off your Life Orb and hazard damage. Garchomp might also want Aqua Tail, since all Flying types take at least neutral damage from Dragon attacks. Aqua Tail lets you deal reasonable damage to Hippowdon.

Good team, but I would run Regenerator on Mienshao. Inner Focus doesn't do a lot this metagame, and Regenerator heals off your Life Orb and hazard damage. Garchomp might also want Aqua Tail, since all Flying types take at least neutral damage from Dragon attacks. Aqua Tail lets you deal reasonable damage to Hippowdon.
Thats my fault. he does have Regenerator just imported it incorrectly. I will try Aqua Tail on Garchomp see how that does. Thanks for the suggestions.

Oh! Aqua Tail is also good for hitting Balloon Excadrill and the like with. Just sayin' :)

Alternatively you could run Stealth Rock in there, letting your Nattorei use Spikes instead. Stealth Rock on a Scarf isn't terrible if you use it on a turn where predicting what the opponent is going to do is too difficult.

Oh! Aqua Tail is also good for hitting Balloon Excadrill and the like with. Just sayin' :)

Alternatively you could run Stealth Rock in there, letting your Nattorei use Spikes instead. Stealth Rock on a Scarf isn't terrible if you use it on a turn where predicting what the opponent is going to do is too difficult.
I have been trying with Leech Seed Replaced with Spikes and the extra damage seems to be helping. Haven't actually had many Excadrills to test the Aqua Tail on. (I know I couldn't believe it either.)

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
hi Influxum its a really great team you have here. I love CroCune as well and its nice to see someone still abusing it in OU.

Assuming you carry out the Change of Roar over Refresh you seem to have many threats covered which is great to see. Unfortunately I can see a rather annoying weakness to BU Conkeldurr which can freely switch in on Ferrothorn, get a free BU and then hammer you with powerful Drain Punches. Latias is your only Fighting resist but it cannot OHKO Conkeldurr and can only Roar it out while taking massive damage from Payback. Suicune cannot touch it either and if Scald Burns Conkeldurr then its damage output will increase exponentially.

Personally, I'd like to suggest the following pokemon to patch up this weakness.

Gliscor @Toxic Orb
Poison Heal
Impish
252 HP/56 Atk/200 Def
-Earthquake
-Ice Fang
-Taunt
-Swords Dance

This set gives you an excellent chance to beat Conkeldurr, while also gives you insurance against other powerful defensive threats which takes the strain of Suicune having to switch in and check them. This Gliscor can also be very effective against stall, taunting to prevent recovery and always threatening to Swords Dance and sweep. You do lack the instant power that Mienshao provides however I fell that the loss of power is not too damaging and you do need the Conkeldurr insurance

good team, i generally recommend not using stone edge because of the accuracy. since u only have 1 fire move, try firefang on chomp. finally,

P.s.
alittle of topic but how do u put pictures on your posts? copy and paste is working for me

hi Influxum its a really great team you have here. I love CroCune as well and its nice to see someone still abusing it in OU.

Assuming you carry out the Change of Roar over Refresh you seem to have many threats covered which is great to see. Unfortunately I can see a rather annoying weakness to BU Conkeldurr which can freely switch in on Ferrothorn, get a free BU and then hammer you with powerful Drain Punches. Latias is your only Fighting resist but it cannot OHKO Conkeldurr and can only Roar it out while taking massive damage from Payback. Suicune cannot touch it either and if Scald Burns Conkeldurr then its damage output will increase exponentially.

Personally, I'd like to suggest the following pokemon to patch up this weakness.

Gliscor @Toxic Orb
Poison Heal
Impish
252 HP/56 Atk/200 Def
-Earthquake
-Ice Fang
-Taunt
-Swords Dance

This set gives you an excellent chance to beat Conkeldurr, while also gives you insurance against other powerful defensive threats which takes the strain of Suicune having to switch in and check them. This Gliscor can also be very effective against stall, taunting to prevent recovery and always threatening to Swords Dance and sweep. You do lack the instant power that Mienshao provides however I fell that the loss of power is not too damaging and you do need the Conkeldurr insurance
Your spot on there with the Conkeldurr weakness. I hate them. The only problem is Mienshao really does get a lot of revenge kills and I also lose my only STAB Fighting move...

Hmm...

good team, i generally recommend not using stone edge because of the accuracy
I dunno why there's so much damn Stone Edge hate flying around these forums, it's indisputably the best rock move available. It's a nice team, though IMO you might have a little trouble with Reuniclus if it gets a turn to set up, which it nearly always does. Another problem might be Drought teams, especially ones with Darmanitian, I've seen versions of it that can OHKO Latias with Flare Blitz. The only one on your team that could give it problems is Chomp and Drought teams will have Chlorophyll users that outspeed and KO him using HP Ice or what not.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)