Mew Discussion thread

I have had loads of fun with this set:

252HP; 252Def
Calm Mind
Psychic
Aura Sphere
Softboiled

Basically plays like Wish/CM Jirachi. Watch out for Toxic, but other than that this thing is just a beast. Other psychic types are a pain too, but what fun would it be if you just used uncounterable Pokemon? :P

Spiritomb walls that set completely....So take out spiritomb first i guess? Spiritomb just seems to give mew tons of problems...

Oglemi

Borf
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Is Swords Dance Mew any good?
Yes. Mostly because of the surprise factor, but it's a very legitimate threat imo. A SD Mew that swept me looked kind of like:

[SET]
name: Swords Dance
move 1: Swords Dance
move 2: Zen Headbutt
move 3: Low Kick
move 4: Baton Pass / Will-O-Wisp / (really anything here)
item: Leftovers / Life Orb
nature: Jolly
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe

EDIT: Low Kick is the real kicker (pardon the pun) here, simply because it annhilates Chansey and Snorlax, as well as do a number on Cobalion, Registeel, Empoleon, etc.

couldn't you use drain punch instead of low kick for increased survivability?
You could, but low kick can have up to 120 base power. The choice is between 75 base power with some healing and 120 base power on some very important targets (such as snorlax and Kyurem.)

Mew@Leftovers
Synchronize | Bold
252 hp / 252 SDef / 4 Def
~ Magic Coat
~ SR
~ U-turn
~ Taunt / WoW / Softboiled

Awesome lead set, you'll never begin with hazzards, magic coat the predicted taunt and SR, the u-turn, taunt is for things you can outspeed (like chansey), but WoW is for crippling stuff and makes you nightmare impossible to take down, the Evs help you to survive froslass Shadow Balls and softbolied helps you to survive longer, your probably never gonna see hazzards with this set (still beware heracross)

Has anyone tried Mew for setting up weather, maybe for rain dance teams? I was thinking of something like
Mew@ Damp Rock
Rain Dance
Nasty Plot/SD
Thunder/Hydro Pump
Baton Pass

I'm guessing give it enough speed to outspeed deoxys-d then dump the rest into defenses.

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
You could, but low kick can have up to 120 base power. The choice is between 75 base power with some healing and 120 base power on some very important targets (such as snorlax and Kyurem.)
Neither of those Pokemon can really threaten Mew. After an SD, both suffer a clean OHKO. Drain Punch also recovers HP from Scarfed or faster attackers. Low Kick's power isn't as important as the staying power Drain Punch offers.

His Eminence Lord Poppington II

proverb:the fish who eats most dies still too
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yes. Mostly because of the surprise factor, but it's a very legitimate threat imo. A SD Mew that swept me looked kind of like:

[SET]

EDIT: Low Kick is the real kicker (pardon the pun) here, simply because it annhilates Chansey and Snorlax, as well as do a number on Cobalion, Registeel, Empoleon, etc.
Low Kick does piddly damage to Chansey IIRC, because it's so light. I think Mew also learns Sucker Punch?

Mew can take a page out of Kecleon's book. (not everyday you hear that..)

Mew@Leftovers
Brave, 0 Speed IVs
sucker punch
snatch
magic coat
focus punch

Set relies heavy on prediction, but if you predict right, you can end up with great reward. 0 Speed because it doesn't need it (unless there is a certain priority move you need to outspeed, but I can't think of any off the top of my head at 5am lol) and will reduce gyro ball damage.

EVs, I have no idea about.

Mew@Leftovers
Synchronize | Bold
252 hp / 252 SDef / 4 Def
~ Magic Coat
~ SR
~ U-turn
~ Taunt / WoW / Softboiled

Awesome lead set, you'll never begin with hazzards, magic coat the predicted taunt and SR, the u-turn, taunt is for things you can outspeed (like chansey), but WoW is for crippling stuff and makes you nightmare impossible to take down, the Evs help you to survive froslass Shadow Balls and softbolied helps you to survive longer, your probably never gonna see hazzards with this set (still beware heracross)
what

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Mew is not outclassed at that set because it's really ineffective and nothing else will ever use it. Alternating between offensive and defensive sets are enough of a surprise for most players that they'll often trip up when trying to handle Mew. Surprise factor doesn't mean anything if the performance isn't up to par.

is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Mew is not outclassed at that set because it's really ineffective and nothing else will ever use it. Alternating between offensive and defensive sets are enough of a surprise for most players that they'll often trip up when trying to handle Mew. Surprise factor doesn't mean anything if the performance isn't up to par.
exactly

[SET]

I've been enjoying SD Mew but with Taunt in the 4th slot and Drain Punch > Low Kick. Taunt prevents shit like Chansey from statusing you so you can dance in its face and Drain Punch > Low Kick for reasons already stated.
Neither of those Pokemon can really threaten Mew. After an SD, both suffer a clean OHKO. Drain Punch also recovers HP from Scarfed or faster attackers. Low Kick's power isn't as important as the staying power Drain Punch offers.

Mew will probably not stay (he will not become OU) since it will likely be banned but not soon (with kyurem and victini and sun still here, there are more powerfull/easyly abusable things than mew), he still has a few months to surprise everyone to death and then go

the point of this thread is not to discuss whether or not something will be banned. I find that sucker punch + drain punch functions better than stab zen headbutt on an SD set

Fair enough, i'm using Mew as a wall, Wow, + 100/100/100 defenses, + reliable recovery + taunt + calm mind/attack means he can stall an incredible amount of stuff just with the right support, i've found dusclops to be one of it's best firens since it makes heracross megahorn look like crap (and megahorn + Night slash crit means your dusclops is gonna get to 10% and pain split (which if he has orb is gonna let you stall and if spikes are in he won't come back) and spin block (hazzards help this thing a lot) chansey can take the ghost and dark attacks (is there any good steel in UU not named regi?)

Considering a variation on the NP set, like this:

Mew @ LO / Lefties
Modest
Synchronize
252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
-Nasty Plot
-Vacuum Wave
-Taunt / Substitute / Baton Pass
-Psyshock / Shadow Ball

again shooting for a big surprise, most people who have a Bisharp or Sharpedo will reach for it, hoping to get in a sucker punch or a speedy attack respectively (at least in my personal experience watching and playing battles; this may not be indicative of the meta as a whole). NP boosted vacuum wave will happily show them the door. slash on shadow ball is to prevent the set from getting rocked by spiritomb. however running baton pass in the third slot makes this sort of a nonissue if you have more special attackers on your team. mmm...NP kyurem...

I would think that BP already takes care of predicted Sucker Punch from Bisharp.

Sharpedo starts off slower than Mew and even if he takes a turn to protect (since Speed Boost doesn't activate on the switch) Mew can BP to a check pretty safely.

Then again, I have no experience in UU. And priority is always nice to have.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)