Rate My OU Team!

Hello, this is my first post so I'll introduce myself...

The name's Michael and I haven't played Pokemon competitively since I was 13 years old (I am now 19). With that said, I would appreciate some feedback on my new team!

I've put this team together under the basis that these are viable options (in my opinion) and among my favourite pokemon. I plan to use this team on Shoddy/Pokemon Lab, but mostly over WiFi via HeartGold or White.

Azelf @ Focus Sash
Ability: Levitate
Nature: Naive (+Spd, -Sp.Def)
4 HP / 252 Sp.Atk / 252 Spd
- Psychic
- Explosion / U-turn
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock

Azelf starts it off by setting up Stealth Rock (or taunting an opposing Stealth Rock set up) and then ends it off by exploding (or U-turn) or switching out if possible. I've also decided to use Azelf as the lead to counter the popular Machamp. I can't decide between Explosion and U-turn because I'd like to use Azelf later on in the match for taking down switch-in Machamps (as well as others) with Psychic.

Jolteon @ Petaya Berry
Ability: Volt Absorb
Nature: Timid (+Spd, -Atk)
- Thunderbolt
- HP Ice
- Baton Pass / Thunder Wave
- Substitute

Jolteon is my special sweeper however I am willing to change my mind on this. I chose Jolteon because he is my favourite electric pokemon and one of my favourites in general, but I also chose him over many others due to his speed and Sp. Atk. I've decided on using a Petaya Berry as his hold item due to the fact that I can stack Substitute and maybe get that kill on the opponent's sweeper with popular type attacks such as Electric/Ice. However I realize with the popularity of Sandstorms, poisons (including toxic spikes) this strategy isn't as viable as it used to be. That's where your opinion comes into play...

Gengar @ Wide Lens
Ability: Levitate
Nature: Timid (+Spd, -Atk)
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Pain Split / HP Fire / Hypnosis
- Substitute

This Gengar is meant to stop Earthquake users on my Jolteon and then countering. He has the potential to counter Heatran, Tyranitar, Starmie and Scizor. However, with that said, I can't decide on his 3rd move. I feel with Subsitute, Pain Split might be redundant with this team, HP Fire is there to counter Scizor and Hypnosis is there to fill in the gap and force switch-outs.

Milotic @ Leftovers
Ability: Marvel Scale
Nature: Calm (+Sp.Def, -Atk)
252 HP / 200 Def / 56 Spd
- Surf
- HP Grass / Toxic
- Sleep Talk
- Rest

Milotic's main purpose is to stall out Pokemon, but I also want Milotic to counter the likes of Swampert, Rock Polish Aggron and Excadrill. I like Toxic because it's reliable, but at the same time seeing as how I'm trying to counter Steel types I suppose HP Grass is better. What do you guys think?

Dragonite @ Leftovers / Life Orb
Ability: Inner Focus
Nature: Adamant (+Atk, -Sp.Atk)
224 HP / 88 Atk / 196 Spd
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Roost
- Dragon Dance

Dragonite is my physical bulky sweeper. I chose this EV set (credit goes to RaikouLover) as a way to imitate Salamence. I feel that Dragon Claw is a must for STAB and Earthquake is a must because I don't have a single Earthquake user and it's always good to have Earthquake. This is another Pokemon I'm willing to play around with. Also, Leftovers or Life Orb and why? I'm leaning more towards Leftovers because it would go nicely with Roost and it supports the purpose of going bulky Dragonite to begin with.

Tyranitar @ Leftovers
Ability: Sandstream
Nature: Hasty (+Spd, -Def)
252 HP / 176 Sp.Atk / 64 Atk / 16 Spd
- Crunch
- Flamethrower
- Focus Punch
- Substitute

Last but certainly not least, Tyranitar. First off I went with the Hasty Nature because I don't plan to have Tyranitar going up against physical attackers I have Milotic for that. Secondly, I went with the classic BOAH Tyranitar to counter the likes of Heatran, Scizor, Skarmory, Blissey, Lucario, Cresselia and sometimes even Infernape. 252 HP EVs allows for 101 HP substitutes (obviously). Now I know some of those are physical attackers but I feel that with this set-up (Substitute + Focus Punch) Tyranitar is able to withstand many opponents, and may also surprise a few.

All in all, I made this team so that I don't have to depend on Stealth Rock very much and so that I don't have to worry about Stealth Rock myself. Forgive me if I left certain information out.

Looking forward to the feedback!

The age of the suicide lead has come and gone. Between team preview, magic bounce, prankster and the fact that explosion is almost worthless now, That azelf is never going to do a dang-nabbed thing. Just stick stealth rock on something that can hit hard (like your tyranitar for example).

Dragonite's new ability multiscale (I think that's what its called anyway) completely outclasses inner focus.

There is no reason for a +speed nature on ttar. You aren't outspeeding anything significant, especially with no speed evs. just make it lonely or naughty.

Jolteon needs volt change.

Go for toxic on sleeptalk milotic. How the hell does HP grass help you counter steel types? Hydro Pump hits most steel types hard, except for ferrothorn who is basically a 100% counter to milotic anyway so it doesn't even matter.

Now that I think about it...um, is this supposed to be a 4th gen team? You're either stuck in the 4th gen mentality or you just posted this team in the wrong place.

First off, thanks for the reply (a bit harsh at that).

I didn't notice some of the new traits/attacks to be honest. The HP Grass was there to counter Swampert who I usually have problems with. You're probably right on the Azelf comment, I may just go with U-turn instead. I may switch Suicune in for Milotic and just run a Defense EV-set with Surf, Calm Mind, Sleep Talk, Rest. I have no room to add Stealth Rock into Tyranitar, nor do I see myself being able to set it up with him. I may replace Jolteon with someone completely different. You're absolutely right on Multiscale, I just missed that one.

Anyway, can you maybe suggest another lead for my team instead of Azelf? Would a Nasty Plot Azelf be a good replacement for Jolteon?

You know there is another forum for gen 4 teams, right? All your analysis points towards a gen 4 team. Machamp is not a popular lead, you hardly ever see them. You don't even consider volt switch on jolteon, no multi-scale on dragonite, etc etc.

If you are really set on having a "lead", deoxys-s pretty much outclasses azelf in every way. Much faster, can use stealth rocks and spikes and usually has enough bulk to survive a hit without focus sash.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)