name: Dual Screen
move 1: Reflect
move 2: Light Screen
move 3: Wish
move 4: U-Turn
nature: ???
item: Light Clay
evs: 252 HP / ???

Can you help me for the IVs and the Nature please?

A Dual Screen set? That's what I was thinking about:

name: Dual Screen
move 1: Reflect
move 2: Light Screen
move 4: U-Turn
nature: Careful
item: Light Clay
evs: 252 HP / 56 Def / 200 SpD

Can you help me for the IVs and the Nature please?
The Additions in Bold.

Or you could do the opposite with Impish 200 Def and 56 SpD

Hope i could help

Edit- or there are plenty other Pokemon that would do a good job such as Ampharos, Magnezone, Claydol, Ect.

Aelita

Return To The Past, Now~
is a Community Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
This is what I usually run, and it stalls the hell out of the opponent, and can't be defeated without strong STAB crits, especially behind screens. I feel this should be on the analysis, at least on the AC.

Jirachi@Leftovers
Name: SuperStallrachi
Move 1: Cosmic Power
Move 2: Wish
Move 3: Charge Beam
Move 4: Psyshock/Psychic
Nature: Bold/Calm/Modest
Item: Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 56 Def / 200 SpA

The idea is to come in on something, preferably behind screens, and Cosmic Power up to +6 (Nothing should be able to touch you), then Charge Beam up to +6 and sweep with Charge Beam for Dark types and Psyshock or Psychic for Ground types. The only thing that walls this completely is Sandile/Krokorok/Krookodile, and that's not seen in the Wifi or DW tiers very often-it's frail and can easily be handled.
The SpA EVs can be switched to SpDef if required to take hits.

Based on these, a Modest Choice Specs Chandelure's Overheat (With 252 SpAtt) EVs against the Calm natured Jirachi up there at +6, without Light Screen up will do 37.87%-45.3% and with Light Screen up: 19.31%-23.02%. This means that Jirachi can Wish, survive another hit, and heal back, barring a crit of course.

Although this Jirachi is Taunt/Leech Seed/status bait, I have swept hundreds of times with it, even under burn and paralysis by the use of Wish healing. Only crits can beat this thing.

No one with half a brain will let Jirachi even get past +1 before switching out to a pokemon that can handle it. Really, it's a decent set up pokemon but citing how it can work after obtaining a +6 is rather silly and one should never assume you can get up to that on a regular basis. It'd be like citing how good Lucario works after getting a +6 Nasty Plot, sure it's true but you basically are assuming you are playing against the worst player alive or have something really situational going on.

Aelita

Return To The Past, Now~
is a Community Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
No one with half a brain will let Jirachi even get past +1 before switching out to a pokemon that can handle it. Really, it's a decent set up pokemon but citing how it can work after obtaining a +6 is rather silly and one should never assume you can get up to that on a regular basis. It'd be like citing how good Lucario works after getting a +6 Nasty Plot, sure it's true but you basically are assuming you are playing against the worst player alive or have something really situational going on.
Actually, you'd be amazed how many people actually let that thing set up. Every two-three games I always get to +6. Plus, this isn't meant to come out early or mid-game when there's a possibility of them holding counters for Jirachi, it's meant to setup-sweep late game when most counters are incapacitated or have low health, which can easily be handled by Jirachi. It's also meant to setup behind screens, lowering damage immensely. At +1 behind Reflect, a 252 HP/56 Def Bold Jirachi would take 26.98%-32.18% from a +2 Adamant 252 Atk Lucario's Close Combat, and 12.38%-14.6% from Crunch. That means Jirachi can continue setting up on that Luca with Wish to heal back. And how many Pokemon in this metagame run Brick Break instead of Close Combat, Drain Punch, Hammer Arm, or other more powerful fighting moves?

The fact you have to setup boosts for it to even be effective is a testament to how mediocre this set is. The fact that you also seem to adamantly talk about how bulky it is BEHIND screens but at the same time go on to talk about how it is meant to work late game (the times where you're looking for pinch hitters and most likely won't have any screens up anymore or they are very near faded) just makes me further doubt and reject the claim it merits a main set mention or even an AC mention.

This is before even mentioning that Lucario, along with any other boosting pokemon, upon noticing that the Jirachi was a Wish+Cosmic Power set would set itself up to +6 and then smash you in the face with their fully setup attack meaning Jirachi would either have to sack its defenses and hope to 2HKO the opposing Ookemon or become total setup fodder while it tries to win the boosting war. Also crits would ruin your day and mean total disaster.

Eo Ut Mortus

Elodin Smells
is a Programmeris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
QC discussed on a few changes that should be made:

Calm Mind / Sub set:
same EV spread as before
-Substitute
-Calm Mind
-Thunderbolt / Thunder
-Flash Cannon / Water Pulse / Psyshock

Psychic mention in AC

The combination of Thunder / Water Pulse is meant to be used under rain. It has decent neutral coverage, and Jirachi can even beat/cripple several of the Pokemon that wall it (Ferrothorn through Sub + ParaFusion, Celebi through Calm Mind + rain weakening Hidden Power Fire, and Virizion/Latias dislike paralysis). Psyshock gets the nod over Psychic, so that Jirachi can beat Pokemon such as Reuniclus, Blissey, Chansey, and Virizion more easily.

Calm Mind/Wish set (place after SubCM)
EV spread: 252 HP / 225 Def / 32 Spe
-Wish
-Calm Mind
-Thunderbolt / Thunder
-Flash Cannon / Water Pulse / Psychic

Psyshock mention in AC.

Similar to last set, except Wish lets you beat what Psyshock was needed to beat in the previous set much more easily, so Psychic is preferred for Conkeldurr. Psyshock can still be used if you fear a Reuniclus / Virizion crit or something.

Also, I think the last few sets should be reordered to Sub/Iron Head > Scarf > Superachi! (please don't kill me jabba)

Agammemnon

A wild Zubat appears!
is a Contributor Alumnus
You forgot to give some EV spread for the rain abuser set, though.
For having faced it I must say it's pretty horrible to handle.

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I got the Wish + Calm Mind set up, and I've also implemented Eo's other suggestions, but…

Looking back, I realize I made the analysis too verbose for its own good (I mean…ugh. Look at how much I wrote for SubCM), and since I don’t want to start what I did for Politoed, I’ll scratch off and rewrite a bit here and there. Since I’ve already written the WishCM set (which is reason enough for this to get another GP check anyways), I’m requesting one last GP Check when I’m finished.

I personally would put 56 Spe EVs in Wish Jirachi.

It allows you to outspeed Gliscor and Rotom-W, two threats that are going to hurt you unless you invest enough to outspeed them and "check" them.

I'd suggest putting a Charge Beam+Gravity set with Jirachi, as with Serene Grace, you get the SpAtk boost every time you use Charge Beam and Gravity ensures that CB hits every time. :D

AccidentalGreed

I'd suggest putting a Charge Beam+Gravity set with Jirachi, as with Serene Grace, you get the SpAtk boost every time you use Charge Beam and Gravity ensures that CB hits every time. :D
Sorry, but no. Why would I do this knowing Jirachi has Calm Mind and two-three perfectly accurate moves to go with it?

EpicTurtle said:
I personally would put 56 Spe EVs in Wish Jirachi.

It allows you to outspeed Gliscor and Rotom-W, two threats that are going to hurt you unless you invest enough to outspeed them and "check" them.
Trying to outspeed a specific invested variant of Gliscor or Roton-W is considered Speed Creep. Besides, 64 Speed EVs, which is an arguably better alternative, have been suggested multiple times.

bugmaniacbob

Was fun while it lasted
is an Artist Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
God does this really need another check

well whatever

GP Check [3/3]

REMOVE
ADD
COMMENT

[OVERVIEW]

<p>Jirachi is best decribed with by the French term <i>Noblesse Oblige</i>, [uh you can't use italics like that on the site, may want to get rid of them or change them to <em></em> or something] meaning that with great power and influence come great responsibilities [I'm pretty sure that's not what it literally means and I'm not entirely sure why Jirachi has any "responsibility"... I love the concept but the sentence just doesn't seem to work]. After repeatedly high usage during the last two generations, Jirachi remains one of the best Pokemon with a base stat total of 600, and for good reason. Its phenomenal typing and enormous movepool allow it to run a variety of sets that no other competitors can replicate fully, which certifies cements Jirachi as an unpredictable, universal threat. Its extremely useful ability, Serene Grace, is still as abusable as ever, paired with moves including but not limited to Iron Head, Body Slam, and Thunder. Jirachi's list of options is certainly expandable extensive, as it can perform many roles ranging from the classic Calm Mind set to standard physical sets to helpful support sets.</p>

<p>Jirachi's plethora of options and possibilities are not the only things that benefit it this generation. With the presence of classic and new threats in the land of the OU, such as Latios, Latias, Reuniclus, Ferrothorn, and Outrage users, Jirachi bravely stand up against many of them. Its Steel / Psychic typing grants Jirachi eight resistances and a mere two weaknesses, allowing Jirachi to sponge many of the omnipresent Dragon-, Rock-, and Ice-type attacks of OU. On top of this, Jirachi's typing also grants it easy access to the battlefield, being immune to both sandstorm and Toxic Spikes, making it hard to stall out. To put salt in the opponent's wounds, The the Wish Pokemon, of course, also has access to Wish, granting consistent, reliable healing for itself and its teammates. With all these traits in consideration, Jirachi can easily fit on and support any team with little issue.</p>

[SET]
name: Specially Defensive
move 1: Iron Head
move 2: Body Slam / Thunder Wave
move 4: Fire Punch / Protect / Stealth Rock
nature: Careful
item: Leftovers
evs: 252 HP / 224 SpD / 32 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set utilizes Jirachi's access to multiple support moves and superb defensive typing, given Jirachi has just two weaknesses and a huge number of resistances, most importantly against Dragon-type moves. With investment in HP and Special Defense, Jirachi can cushion various special attacks with ease and while providing all-round support with paralysis and a 200 HP Wish. For example, Jirachi makes a perfectly viable switch-in to Timid Choice Specs Latios' Draco Meteor, losing only 31.4% - 37.1% of its health when hit. This means that Specially Defensive Jirachi can sponge nearly all neutral or resisted hits below this specific attack, one of the most threatening in OU. For a less mathematical example of Jirachi's Wish, Jirachi's high HP stat means that it can pass very big Wishes indeed; in practice, a Pokemon with an uninvested base 80-90 HP stat (such as Latios, Thundurus, and Volcarona) will recover about two-thirds of its health, which is a considerable improvement in comparison to last generation.</p>

<p>Jirachi is unique when compared to other paralysis-inducers thanks to its ability, Serene Grace, alongside Body Slam,(remove) and Iron Head. When it comes to the paralysis-inducing move, Body Slam is the primary option, because, whereas a multitude of support Pokemon can abuse Thunder Wave, Jirachi can utilize Body Slam to paralyze threats that Thunder Wave cannot, mainly Ground-type Pokemon and faster Taunt users. Serene Grace doubles Body Slam's chance to paralyze to a reasonably consistent 60%, allowing Jirachi to paralyze a threat most of the time thanks to its great bulk. In any case, Thunder Wave is always an option over Body Slam for a guaranteed paralysis move. Keep in mind, however, Body Slam differentiates Jirachi from the numerous support Pokemon which use Thunder Wave. Another trait that Jirachi has over other support Pokemon is Iron Head; this move is complimentary complementary with paralysis and Serene Grace, as Jirachi can slowly chip away at an opponent, weakening it for another Pokemon to KO. Iron Head may also allow Jirachi a "free turn" for Wish healing, provided the opponent is flinched.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The last slot is entirely up to the user. Fire Punch allows Jirachi to sufficiently damage Scizor and Ferrothorn, both of which are significant defensive threats. Protect provides Jirachi with a way to scout for incoming attacks, and allows it to heal safely after using Wish. Jirachi can further support the team by utilizing Stealth Rock; if the team does not have other entry hazard users available, it can easily set up Stealth Rock and still function without its other fourth moves. U-turn is also an option to pass Wish safely to another teammate; with Jirachi's relatively slow Speed without investment and good bulk, it is nearly guaranteed to heal another teammate successfully without the recipient taking damage.</p>

<p>The given EVs give Jirachi maximum special bulk while outrunning Jolly Tyranitar. Significant Speed investment is not necessary due to Jirachi's access to paralysis. Alternatively, one may opt for a more physically defensive spread of 240 HP / 160 Def / 76 SpD / 32 Spe with an Impish nature, which allows Jirachi to better take physical attacks while maintaining a reasonable amount of special bulk. It is a perfectly viable alternative over the main spread, depending on the team's needs. Furthermore, Jirachi may opt to invest in 64 Speed EVs in order to outrun maximum Speed Jolly Scizor, a rising occurrence in the metagame.</p>

<p>Jirachi provides support in the form of Wish and a paralysis-inducing move, allowing slower, but powerful, teammates to thrive. Defensively speaking, a levitating Dragon-type is a perfect team member to receive Jirachi's support; Latios, Latias, Dragonite, and Hydreigon are all immune or resistant to Jirachi's weaknesses. Being the powerhouses they are, they can put a dent in the opposing team while being kept alive by Wish. Gyarados operates similarly to them and can provide an offensive and / or defensive approach to the team with Dragon Dance, Dragon Tail, and Intimidate. Jirachi, in return, can easily take the Dragon-, Ice-, and Rock-type moves aimed at all of them and repeat the support process.</p>

[SET]
name: SubCM
move 1: Substitute
move 2: Calm Mind
move 3: Thunderbolt / Thunder
move 4: Flash Cannon / Water Pulse / Psyshock
nature: Timid
evs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Being Jirachi's flagship set in the previous generations, Substitute paired with Calm Mind is still a viable strategy on Jirachi due to the ability to break apart bulky and stall-oriented teams. With a good defensive typing and defensive investment, Jirachi can set up on multiple Pokemon in OU and proceed to sweep after a few boosts. Unlike other Calm Mind users, Jirachi has convenient immunities to passive damage, namely Toxic Spikes and sandstorm. The magic of this set is that it easily forces defensive Pokemon, such as Ferrothorn, Blissey, Chansey, Jellicent, opposing Jirachi, and Porygon2, to struggle while it sets up, making a sweep even easier. The strategy is fairly simple; Jirachi should come in on a resisted attack or support move, and then use Substitute to identify the opponent's response to it and provide safety against status and support moves (especially Trick). From there, Jirachi has a few options: set up Calm Mind as the opponent switches to an attacker or initial check, or immediately hit-and-run if the counter is a significant threat.</p>

<p>For attacking moves, Thunderbolt is necessary to achieve general coverage. Flash Cannon is the other primary option to ensure overall coverage, and notably 2HKOes Tyranitar, who can otherwise wall Jirachi if it has not gained many boosts. Psyshock gives Jirachi more momentum against physically-weak Pokemon and opposing Calm Mind users, especially Reuniclus and Latias. Regardless of which secondary move you choose, Jirachi can defeat Blissey and other special walls using Substitute either way. Choose which STAB move acts in the team's favor most.</p>

<p>Speaking of which, Jirachi doesn't have to use STAB moves at all to be effective. To begin with, it works extremely well in permanent rain. When paired with Drizzle Politoed, Jirachi's Fire-type weakness is neutralized (leaving it with only a single weakness), and it has the potential to wreak more havoc than usual with the combination of Thunder and Water Pulse. Serene Grace plays an important role here, boosting Thunder's paralysis chance to a whopping 60%, and Water Pulse's base power to 90 and confusion chance to 40%. With these attacks, Jirachi gains excellent neutral coverage and power, and those that resist the combination are crippled with parafusion.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Maximum EV investment in HP is very necessary on this set to boost Jirachi's already great bulk and give it time to set up Calm Mind. With maximum HP, Jirachi can utilize 101 HP Substitutes, which Seismic Toss users, such as Dusclops and Blissey, cannot break with one Seismic Toss. In addition, maximum Speed investment with a Timid nature allows Jirachi to tie with positive-natured Pokemon with base 100 Speed, ensuring it will not be revenge killed easily. On the other hand, the Speed EVs can be lowered to outspeed a specific speed Speed tier, with the leftover EVs placed into Defense or Special Attack.</p>

<p>Because the first two moveslots are reserved for Substitute and Calm Mind, Jirachi can only maintain so much coverage. Depending on the two attacks you choose, Jirachi will be walled by specific threats. For example, the combination of Thunder and Water Pulse is completely ineffective against Storm Drain Gastrodon, while using Flash Cannon means that you will have to find a way around Quagsire, Swampert, and Magnezone. Keep in mind that with enough Calm Mind boosts, however, specially-oriented walling threats can be set up on and beaten comfortably. In any case, Jirachi will require offensive support to bring down enemies that resist its chosen move combination. Utilizing teammates with strong Grass- or Water-type moves would be ideal if Jirachi uses Psyshock, as Ground-type threats such as Gliscor are typically physically defensive (and thus take little damage). Likewise, any levitating Dragon-type can easily absorb Jirachi's two weaknesses and start a scuffle with powerful attacks. Dragonite, Salamence, Hydreigon, and Latios are all but just a few of many capable wallbreaking Dragon-types that can pave the way for Jirachi's sweep and their own.</p>

<p>Of course, entry hazards are beneficial for just about any Pokemon and its team, but Jirachi performs brilliantly if it can stall out special attackers and force them out. With Toxic Spikes support from the likes of Roserade or Tentacruel, the likes of Quagsire, Gastrodon, and Blissey fail to do accomplish anything significant to Jirachi's Substitutes while their health slowly deteriorates. On a dedicated defensive or stall-oriented team, Spikes and Stealth Rock are generally beneficial for chipping the opponent's health to KO range for Jirachi.</p>

[SET]
name: Wish + Calm Mind
move 1: Wish
move 2: Calm Mind
move 3: Thunderbolt / Thunder
move 4: Flash Cannon / Water Pulse / Psychic
nature: Bold
evs: 252 HP / 224 Def / 32 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Providing Wish support is one of Jirachi's many perks, and utilizing Wish in tandem with Calm Mind makes Jirachi a very real threat, both an all-efficient as a supporting and as a bulky attacker. As with the SubCM set, defensive and stall-oriented teams are broken down easily once troublesome foes are eliminated. With Wish, Jirachi can switch into incoming attacks (especially Dragon-type ones) and heal itself and its teammates whenever necessary. The most effective method to utilize Jirachi is to use Wish on a well-timed basis (even when healthy) in order to scout out counters and provide protection against unexpected attacks or critical hits. Please keep in mind that Jirachi should be treated as a supporter first, and a sweeper second.</p>

<p>As far as attacking combinations are concerned, Thunderbolt is still the most reliable option for extensive coverage. The secondary attack depends on coverage preferences; with Flash Cannon, Jirachi stands a better chance against Tyranitar, Latios, Latias, and Celebi, while Psychic provides insurance against threats that would normally withstand the aforementioned moves. With Drizzle support, Thunder and Water Pulse are, as always, worthy of mention simply because of their general effectiveness in raining conditions rain. Ensure that permanent rain is in effect before attempting to sweep with this combination.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>As a note, Psyshock is an alternative option over Psychic to have a win condition better chance of winning against opposing Calm Mind users. However, Wish allows Jirachi to beat what Psyshock was required for in other Calm Mind sets. Therefore, consider which foes you need to target before finalizing the secondary attack.</p>

<p>Like the last set, this Jirachi has much trouble attempting setup without a few choice threats eliminated. However, with EVs invested in physical defense in conjunction with a Bold nature and Wish healing, it can actually afford to set up in front of some moderately powerful attackers. As long as Jirachi avoids Fire- or Ground-type attacks at all costs, it can actually set up on numerous foes. On the other hand, the lack of Substitute leaves Jirachi vulnerable to status and Trick users with a Choice item, both of which can hinder Jirachi's ability to survive or attack effectively. Additionally, coverage problems are further worsened, as Jirachi would normally attack behind some protection.</p>

<p>Make sure to provide offensive support to alleviate Jirachi's two-attack syndrome. Walls such as Ferrothorn, Celebi, and Latias are able to punish Jirachi by using a status move while taking minimal damage from certain move combinations. With Wish recovery in tow, any bulky offensive or defensive teammate can switch in for Jirachi with little risk, so the only actual issue to worry about is status. Therefore, physical attackers with inherent immunities or resistances to Ground-, Fire-, and status moves are a reliable way to remove certain walls and otherwise threatening foes. Additionally, Jirachi is still susceptible to volatile status, so it must have some insurance against Taunt and Encore users, especially Mew and Whimsicott. Since Trick users are, for the most part, Ghost- or Psychic-type, using a choiced Choiced Pursuit user ensures that threats intent on crippling Jirachi with a choice Choice item will not escape so easily.</p>

<p>As stated before, Jirachi can stand on its own with entry hazard support, limiting the time its counters have on the battlefield against it. Toxic Spikes is more valuable than ever for stalling out certain threats with Wish, so Tentacruel is a decent teammate in this respect due to its ability to lay the aforementioned hazards, sponge Fire-type attacks, and use Rapid Spin as an added bonus.</p>

[SET]
name: Substitute + Paralysis
move 1: Substitute
move 2: Body Slam / Thunder Wave
move 3: Iron Head
move 4: Fire Punch
nature: Jolly
evs: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>While the defensive sets are used for pure support in Wish and a paralysis-inducing move, Jirachi may also spread paralysis from a more offensive and flexible angle. With Substitute, Jirachi can ease prediction against a would-be threat and successfully paralyze it, proceeding to flinch it to death with Iron Head or forcing it to switch to another vulnerable Pokemon. The primary strategy is simple; Jirachi simply has to paralyze its switch-in, and either use Substitute for prediction or switch to a counter. It can then come in again to paralyze more foes and set up behind a Substitute. One may modify this strategy depending on the battle conditions. Another strategy is to keep using Substitute until the opponent is fully paralyzed, though Jirachi is better off switching to another teammate for the purposes of safety and conservation.</p>

<p>As mentioned before, Jirachi is very unique in comparison to other support Pokemon due to its access to Serene Grace, increasing Body Slam's chance to paralyze to 60%. Of course, Thunder Wave can replace Body Slam if your team can reliably cover Ground-type threats, though Jirachi misses out on paralyzing the extremely popular Excadrill. Serene Grace also boosts Iron Head's chance to flinch to 60%. With Iron Head, the opposing Pokemon, if paralyzed, can attack only 30% of the time with a 100% accurate move. This likely leaves Jirachi with plenty of time to recover with Leftovers, switch to a counter, or set up Substitute. With this in mind, Jirachi can be used in the long run and possibly sweep once its checks and counters have been eliminated. Jirachi is given Fire Punch in the last slot to dent any Steel-types attempting to wall Iron Head, especially Ferrothorn,(comma) who cannot break Jirachi's Substitute.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The main EV spread allows Jirachi to outpace positive-natured Pokemon with base 90 Speed so that it isn't too reliant on paralysis. The Attack investment maximizes Jirachi's offensive power, and the rest is put into HP for additional bulk. Since this set is dedicated towards paralyzing as many Pokemon as it can, Jirachi can opt for alternative EV spreads. Maximum Speed is generally not necessary, and Jirachi can invest in bulk as well, so a spread of 252 HP / 224 Atk / 32 Spe with an Adamant nature works fairly well. With 252 HP EVs, Seismic Toss users such as Blissey cannot break Jirachi's Substitute and will be forced to retreat or take multiple Iron Heads. 224 Attack EVs give Jirachi a larger amount of offense, while 32 Speed EVs allow Jirachi to outspeed all unboosted variants of Tyranitar. Additionally, 64 Speed EVs may be invested to outspeed Jolly Scizor with maximum Speed.</p>

<p>While this set is extremely difficult for other players to work around, it definitely has some hard counters. Physical walls, Water-, and Fire-type Pokemon in general make good checks to take Iron Head and Fire Punch, though most of them are crippled by paralysis. Again, a levitating Dragon-type works perfectly well with this Jirachi. Latias and Latios can set up Calm Mind in front of most of Jirachi's counters, while Dragonite and Salamence can break walls more easily with the paralysis support Jirachi provides. As a special mention, Togekiss also appreciates paralysis support, and can use a strategy of "paraflinching" alongside Jirachi. Defensively, it is immune to Jirachi's Ground-type weakness, while Jirachi resists the Rock- and Ice-type weaknesses of Togekiss. With paralysis provided, Togekiss can more easily sweep with its deceptively dangerous Nasty Plot sets. On a dedicated paralysis team, Whimsicott saves Jirachi from being decimated by Earthquake while being able to paralyze all types with priority Stun Spore.</p>

[SET]
name: Choice Scarf
move 1: Iron Head
move 2: Ice Punch
move 3: Fire Punch
move 4: Trick / U-turn / ThunderPunch
nature: Jolly
item: Choice Scarf
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>The last generation provided Jirachi two brand-new dangerous weapons that significantly broke its label as only a special attacker: Choice Scarf and Iron Head. With a Choice Scarf equipped, Jirachi gains the ability to revenge kill the majority of faster threats in OU, including but not limited to Latios, Latias, Tornadus, Thundurus, and most Dragon Dance users. Jirachi's resistances also help utilize this set to its fullest, as it can brush off many priority moves and come in on numerous attacks. However, one would be misguided as to treat this Jirachi as a sweeper or a significant offensive threat. Rather, consider Choice Scarf Jirachi more of a "supporting attacker"; it does not have the immediate power to pose as a noteworthy physical sweeper.</p>

<p>Unlike other users of Choice Scarf, Jirachi makes great use of its unique ability, Serene Grace, with STAB Iron Head and its increased chance to continually flinch foes, sometimes even to the point of fainting. Fortunately, this alone makes up for Jirachi's just decent Attack stat. Along with Iron Head, Jirachi also has complimentary complementary coverage options in Ice Punch and Fire Punch, accompanied by the user's choice in the fourth slot. Fire Punch dents most foes that attempt to sponge Iron Head, such as Scizor and Ferrothorn, while Ice Punch eliminates most Dragon- and Flying-types, most notably Landorus, Dragonite, and Salamence.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Trick allows Jirachi to cripple a would-be counter or defensive wall, while U-turn allows Jirachi to switch out of its counters, which is helpful with some entry hazards on the field. Finally, ThunderPunch is optional to smack Gyarados and Jellicent, but has little use outside of that this generation. Alternatively, Thunderbolt can be used over ThunderPunch to more reliably check Gyarados and Skarmory, provided Jirachi uses a Hasty or Naive nature. However, like ThunderPunch, Thunderbolt is rather specific coverage-wise, and will be rather weak with little Special Attack investment. Use Trick with discretion, as Jirachi will turn into a less effective attacker without Choice Scarf or an attack Attack-boosting item.</p>

<p>As far as counters go, the number of Pokemon that can set up on a single move is unfortunately numerous. Since Choice Scarf Jirachi operates as a supporting attacker rather than a major offensive force, not much support will actually be necessary around it. Teammates who can reliably counter Heatran, Ferrothorn, Scizor, Skarmory, Excadrill, and some Rotom formes are preferred. Jirachi also appreciates a teammate who can fight against physical walls without difficulty. Entry hazard support is always beneficial, given that Jirachi will force plenty of switches. For a stable way to set up hazards, Deoxys-S is usually the best to lay at least one layer of Spikes or Stealth Rock, while an attacking Infernape provides both offensive and Stealth Rock support.</p>

[SET]
name: Superachi! (Offensive Calm Mind)
move 1: Calm Mind
move 2: Psychic / Psyshock
move 3: Grass Knot / Thunderbolt
move 4: Hidden Power Fire
nature: Timid
evs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Although Jirachi is mostly designed to set up in front of defensively-oriented Pokemon, Superachi is quite the contrary. With an acute emphasis on the offensive, Jirachi can now serve as both a sizeable sweeper and a lure to most its usual checks and counters. Tyranitar, Scizor, Ferrothorn, Quagsire, and Gastrodon are destroyed by a super effective move, since Jirachi exterminates them all after just one Calm Mind. This gives Jirachi ample opportunities to wreak havoc upon the rest of the opposing team. A transition from defense to offense is also safe due to Jirachi's still-reliable bulk, despite the different investment and strategy.</p>

<p>The set is nothing complicated; Calm Mind is the main move on this set and is complimented by three coverage moves. Jirachi can choose between Psychic and Psyshock for its main STAB attack. Again, while Psychic-type attacks do not have outstanding coverage alone, with the other moves, these attacks can be especially effective. While Psychic takes immediate advantage of specially-weak threats such as Gliscor, Psyshock is a great alternative due to the ability to eliminate threats that are weaker on the physical side. Jirachi cannot set up on Blissey and other walls as easily, so Psyshock provides a way to dispose of them as soon as possible. Grass Knot helps Jirachi to dispose of the multiple Water- and Ground-types found in OU; especially Quagsire who would otherwise ignore Jirachi's Calm Mind boosts with Unaware. Thunderbolt is an acceptable alternative to more reliably counter Skarmory and Vaporeon, though Tyranitar becomes more of a threat without Grass Knot. Finally, Hidden Power Fire completes the set's coverage by removing Scizor, Ferrothorn, Forretress, and some Grass-types from play promptly. Hidden Power Fire also provides a reliable way of taking out Skarmory without the need for Thunderbolt.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Like the moveset itself, the EVs are also pretty much straightforward. Here, Jirachi fully invests in Special Attack in order to assault with more zest. With a Timid nature, a Speed IV of 30, and maximum investment in Speed, Jirachi outruns Hydreigon and lower, while managing a Speed tie with positive-natured base 100s also using an imperfect Speed IV. Hidden Power Ice is worthy of mention to take out most Dragon-types and Gliscor in one hit, while keeping Jirachi's Speed perfect (Hidden Power Fire forces Jirachi to use a 30 Speed IV). However, with its main options, Jirachi can already hurt Gliscor and the Dragon-types, and some targets of Hidden Power Ice, such as Landorus, already outrun and defeat Jirachi.</p>

<p>Like similar offensive sets, Superachi has problems of its own, though it can easily lure in and eliminate its original checks and counters. Heatran makes a good counter to Jirachi due to a neutrality to Thunderbolt and an immunity or resistance to the rest of Jirachi's moves, putting Jirachi in a corner with its powerful STAB Fire-type attacks. If Jirachi chooses to forgo Psyshock for Psychic, Blissey and Chansey wall it eternally. Similarly, Gliscor and some physical walls can switch into Psyshock, though a boosted Grass Knot or Hidden Power should easily take care of them with prior damage. As usual, Latias and Latios still make creditable counters to Calm Mind Jirachi due to Jirachi's lack of coverage against both of them. With Calm Mind (and sometimes Roar), they can still set up alongside Jirachi, though it can usually win Calm Mind wars with Psyshock and its resistances to Dragon- and Psychic-type moves.</p>

<p>With any offensive Jirachi, entry hazards are at least helpful in obtaining some OHKOs Jirachi would not otherwise get. For example, with Stealth Rock on the field, Jirachi handily defeats Zapdos, Gyarados, and Chandelure with a boosted Psychic or Psyshock. A bulky Water-type, such as Suicune or Gyarados, ensures that Jirachi's counters in Fire- and Ground-type foes are kept at bay. As usual, levitating Dragon-types resist Jirachi's two weaknesses as well as upholding a good offensive presence against the opposing team. These Dragon-types also beat most bulky or fast Fire- and Ground- type Pokemon with their resistances and a powerful attacks. Strong Pursuit users, such as Scizor, Tyranitar, and Bisharp handle Blissey, Chansey, Latias, and Latios fairly well. Since Superachi handily lures in and defeats most of its counters, Pokemon who originally had problems with these Pokemon make fine teammates as well. Kingdra, Tyranitar, Gyarados, Reuniclus, Dragonite, and many others appreciate the removal of their respective counters while offering their own offensive support.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Jirachi has a large number of interesting options to play with, though its more effective strategies have been listed. Drain Punch is an odd option to heal off damage and super effectively hit Steel-types. It should be noted that Drain Punch has been increased to 75 Base Power in the generation shift, so it is now competitively viable in Jirachi's physically-based sets. Energy Ball is an option for special sets; though Grass Knot is more useful as it hits Jirachi's counters for more damage, as most of them are heavy.</p>

<p>Last generation, Jirachi could lure counters and checks and eliminate them by using a mixed set. This mixed set in particular used Iron Head, two elemental punches, and a special move, along with a Naive nature, an Expert Belt, and maximum Speed and Attack. This set could be used to lure and defeat specific threats in the metagame, but is generally weak against the opponent once the special move has been revealed. On this note, Jirachi may choose to utilize a mixed Superachi set as well. With a Naive nature, 120 Attack EVs, Life Orb and Iron Head, Jirachi knocks many counters into the KO range for its special moves. It does not have as much longevity as the original Calm Mind sets due to Life Orb, but it is still an option for surprise. These sets can be used to great value if used with Shell Break Baton Pass Gorebyss, which instantly boosts all of Jirachi's offensive stats, and makes the always-annoying Iron Head even stronger.</p>

<p>Jirachi also has many options in the support department. With Cosmic Power, Jirachi can run a purely defensive set with Wish and Toxic as compliments. Keep in mind that Jirachi is vulnerable to Steel-types and Taunt users if Cosmic Power is considered. Jirachi also has access to dual screens, which is perfectly acceptable with U-turn and Jirachi's good defensive typing. Safeguard prevents status, but it is better off left to a dedicated user of stall or defense. Magic Coat is an odd support option that allows Jirachi to bypass attempts to set up hazards or cripple Jirachi with status moves. For field moves, Jirachi also has Gravity and Trick Room. Whereas Trick Room is decent with Jirachi's Wish and U-turn, Gravity is generally considered a negligible gimmick. Stealth Rock may be used on any of Jirachi's other support sets, but Jirachi generally cannot risk moveslot syndrome.</p>

[No mention of Doom Desire?]

[Checks and Counters]

<p>By virtue of its near-limitless diversity, it is extremely difficult to find a "hard counter" to Jirachi. Due to the unpredictable nature of Jirachi and the potency of all its sets, prediction is normally the first step to defeating it. Arguably, Jirachi's specially-based sets are the most difficult to challenge. While defensive Calm Mind sets makes make many weak attackers and Seismic Toss-reliant Pokemon struggle, its more offensive special sets can put a large dent in any team immediately. Counters to these sets differ depending on the combination of moves Jirachi chooses. If Jirachi isn't using Psyshock, Substitute, or Wish, Blissey and Chansey sponge its special attacks all day. Whimsicott can use priority Encore to lock Jirachi into an ineffective move and drain its health with Leech Seed. Additionally, Krookodile, though pretty rare in OU, is immune to the combination of Psychic + Thunderbolt. Speaking of Ground-types, Excadrill and Landorus, two common sweepers on a sandstorm team, can switch into a predicted Thunderbolt, Psychic, or Thunder Wave, and easily OHKO with Earthquake. Finally, Latias and Latios both resist Jirachi's most common special attacks and set up Calm Mind alongside it, using Roar to remove its boosts if possible.</p>

<p>Physically-based sets are slightly easier to check. Due to Serene Grace and Iron Head's high chance to flinch, however, any Pokemon that is paralyzed or is slower than Jirachi risks being flinched to death. Rotom-W, Rotom-H, Heatran, and Empoleon are all 4x resistant to Iron Head, and can take most of Jirachi's other attacks comfortably as well. Bulky Water-types also take minimal damage from Iron Head, and most of them can take a ThunderPunch and heal it off. Most physically defensive Steel-types (such as Skarmory) and Ground-types (Hippowdon) also do a good job of sponging physical Jirachi's attacks, though they risk being stalled through a Fire Punch-induced burn. Ferrothorn can wall any set that lacks Fire Punch and can either set up Spikes or use Leech Seed. Ferrothorn also has the benefit of chipping Jirachi's health away with Iron Barbs. Faster Pokemon risk being paralyzed; however, opponents such as Hippowdon, Landorus, and Excadrill can all come in comfortably on Thunder Wave and OHKO with a super effective move.</p>

<p>Despite its versatility, Jirachi does have some very general checks and counters. Heatran can come in on practically any set lacking Hidden Power Ground, and immediately threaten Jirachi with a STAB Fire Blast. Heatran also doesn't mind paralysis too much. Volcarona can also threaten any Jirachi set, as it takes little damage from Jirachi's common attacks, and can threaten Jirachi with a STAB Fire-type attack. Volcarona does dislike paralysis,(comma) however, so be sure to scout the set before attempting to check Jirachi. Magnezone, particularly, is a very special counter as it can trap Jirachi in the battlefield using its Magnet Pull ability and swiftly eliminate it with Thunderbolt or Hidden Power. Most Jirachi sets (except for those running a super effective Hidden Power or Fire Punch) are rather unprepared for Magnezone. Like Heatran, Magnezone doesn't mind Thunder Wave too much. Therefore, unless Jirachi has built up enough Calm Minds or has a super effective move, Magnezone is forever a thorn in Jirachi's side.</p>

Whoop de do.

November Blue

A universe where hot chips don't exist :(
is a Contributor Alumnus
Why are all of the slower sets running 32 EVs / 244 speed? According to their analyses, Gliscor and Rotom-W run 36 EVs /245 speed. I thought that this was now the benchmark, and 246 ect. was considered speed creep.

Hmm, I just checked the Gliscor analysis, and he's actually running 244 speed. What to make of this?

AccidentalGreed

Jolly Tyranitar's basically the benchmark for defensive Pokemon such as Celebi ever since ADV, so we can't really complain. I asked, and the response was: because Tyranitar is such a huge threat in the metagame, you have to be prepared for even the fastest one (Odd MixTar, for example).

GP complete.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)