Stalling in the Rain

Stalling is the Rain! I like stall and l like rain teams. Why not combine them both??? (: It surprised me how well this worked!

I love rain teams, but hate all the SS+Drizzle teams, so l wanted to try something else. RainStall (:

Of course l need a politoad. He starts the weather and generally gets the weather. Wins the weatehr against Ninetales and some TTar, so all around a nice weather starter.

Next is someone who can abuse the rain. The best rainstall pokemon EVER imo is Vaporeon. With hydrorest it is really hard to take down. SO there is slot #2

Stall really needs some hazzards, so Ferrothorn appreciates the rain and can take care of water types abusing the rain and with Tentacruel's raindish he can stall some, lay down TSpikes, and spin

3 waters do not bode well. A Zapdos or Rotom (W) could easily sweepo if Ferrothorn fell. So l another Electric resistance and anotehr bulky pokemon in general. Lightningrod Zapdos covers all that!

One more slot left. I'd like to have offensive pokemon to take out some of the antistall pokemon like Breloom, Reinculus, Stat-boosters, ect. I saw the genies earlier and l decided l NEEDED to add them. After all the "Thunderus is better" comments I decided l needed to prove them wrong! And Tornadus's STAB has no immunities, unlike Thunder.

Zapdos was really nice, but he was keeping me in the Dream World tier. I still needed a defensive pokemon that can take some offensive threats such as those on Sandstorm teams. Gliscor could play the perfect solution and had some great synergy with the rest of the team. Thanks for those who suggested it!

I was suggested a Ludicolo by Juice and after trying it out, it really wasn't working very well, but l did like the stalling aspects of it,s o l decided to use a Dry Skin Toxicroak and man has it been a big help to this team. Being able to set up on all ferrothorn is really nice, as they are big pains with Gyro Ball.

Politoed (M) @ Leftovers Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Sassy Nature (+SDef, -Spd)
0 Speed Iv's
- Perish Song
- Scald
- Protect
- Encore

Mainly used to set up weather. I also use it force switches with encore and PSong. Perish Song is a great move to kill the last pokemon. Scald is so I'm not taunt bait and can put a burn on physical attackers. The nature is so l am slower than some TTar.
Change: I'm not sure about the Ev spread. Other than that l like it.

Vaporeon (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Hydration
EVs: 252 HP / 104 Def / 152 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Toxic
- Rest
- Scald
- Ice Beam

My main, best, and favorite staller. This thing really surprised me how easy this thing stalls. I originally had Wish>Toxic, but l never used it, so l replaced it with toxic because l ran in to too many situations where all vappy could was scald and rest. The opponent wouldn't take damage, so toxic was put in. Roar is for set-upers. Vappy can take a hit and roar the boosts away. This my all round bulkymon
Change: Might try Ice Beam>Roar. Dragons are really annoying.

Toxicroak (M) @ Leftovers Trait: Dry Skin
EVs: 244 HP / 252 Atk / 12 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Bulk Up
- Substitute
- Sucker Punch
- Drain Punch
This can come in on a Chancey's/Blissey's Toxic and set up a substitue and proceed to Bulk Up on the switch. It can set up on Ferrothorn's face, who is a big problem for this team. He only takes about 30-50% from Gyro Ball before a bulk up and after about 2 can easily keep a sub up. +2 Drain punch 2HKO's. The only thing it can really do is spam Gyro Ball and set up spikes. Spikes are kinda bad, but if l get to +6 while it set's up l think l can sweep pretty well. At +4 he has a chance 2HKO Gliscor with Sucker Punch

Ferrothorn (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 40 Def / 216 SDef
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Power Whip
I love Ferrothorn. He's one of my favorite addition to the game. Resisting all of Water type's weaknesses, while Zapdos and the Vaporen can easily take down fighting and fire types. Stealth Rock is awesome in compating Sun teams. Between SR and TSpikes, SUn teams aren't a problem. Power Whip takes down water types. Seed+Protect is pretty decent recovery and the only recover he has besides rest.
Changes: Is there a better Ev spread?
Gyro Ball> Power Whip? With some nice prediction, it can take out Terrakion and Serperior, who is the BIGGEST threat to my team

Gliscor (M) @ Toxic Orb Trait: Poison Heal
EVs: 244 HP / 188 Def / 76 Spd
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Taunt
- Toxic
- Earthquake
- Protect
Gliscor was a nice addition to the team. It helped with StallBreaking and still gave me the electric immunity my team needs. Taunt is an amazing move and helps against Blissey, Forretress, Ferrothorn, and other threats. Poison heal is an amazing ability. He also gets me out of the Dream World tier, so my team is free from Shadow Tag Chandalure and Contrary Serperior.

Tornadus (M) @ Choice Specs
Trait: Prankster
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Hurricane
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- U-turn
- Focus Blast
Specs Hurricane dents all who don't resist (besides the pink blobs). 2HKOing Ferrothorn and Forretress. Awesome late-game sweeper and just amazing in the rain. Even some steels get wrecked by it. Hurricane is it's main move and iirc 2HKO Rank 1v1 if Rank comes in on it. The other moves are really just filler as Hurricane is all it really needs and uses.
Changes: Scarf>Specs It would really be only helpful for Starmie

Nice to see another user of HydraRest Vaporeon. Some suggestions:

@Vaporeon: You should try Ice Beam over Roar, because Vappy can easily tank an unboosted Dragon STAB and hit back hard with Ice Beam. Also, consider Surf over Scald, because there are some things that it's much better to poison than burn, and the burn can be detrimental. Think of Guts Conkeldurr, for instance.

@Tentacruel: I dislike Tentacruel, because they never seem to accomplish much besides Toxic Spikes and spinning, with no recovery. It seems like your team would have a lot of trouble getting past Blissey, especially if Ferrothorn is down. I suggest a physical attacker like Scizor, Garchomp, Dragonite, etc.

That's about it. I'm sure that Tornadus wrecks things, I love Specs Hurricanes in rain.

Nice to see another user of HydraRest Vaporeon. Some suggestions:

@Vaporeon: You should try Ice Beam over Roar, because Vappy can easily tank an unboosted Dragon STAB and hit back hard with Ice Beam. Also, consider Surf over Scald, because there are some things that it's much better to poison than burn, and the burn can be detrimental. Think of Guts Conkeldurr, for instance.

@Tentacruel: I dislike Tentacruel, because they never seem to accomplish much besides Toxic Spikes and spinning, with no recovery. It seems like your team would have a lot of trouble getting past Blissey, especially if Ferrothorn is down. I suggest a physical attacker like Scizor, Garchomp, Dragonite, etc.

That's about it. I'm sure that Tornadus wrecks things, I love Specs Hurricanes in rain.
Yeah l need to test some new moves, like Gyro Ball and Ice Beam. I dislike Tentacruel also, but TSpikes is really important to my team.... Might try a bulky SD Roost Scizor and Vaporeon can beats Blissey with toxic 1v1 even with Heal Bell (Also Zapdos can du the same just not as well). It only has 8 pp not to hard to stall out, but l do see your point. While l can't do much to it, it can't do much back except maybe toxic.....

Since your Tornadus has no status moves, you will want to run defiant over prankster, as its a completely useless ability then.

Grass types are usually a problem for rain teams, so you will be wanting to run the neutral gyroball over power whip for them.

Tornadus and Zapdos do the exact same thing, as far are synergy goes, for this team. I think you should choose one to keep for a slot and ditch the other, personally Zapdos seems to do more with lightning rod and stalling here, but Tornadus can still be used. Then you chould replace it with another pokemon to help out with synergy. I honestly can not think of what could replace it though, levitator/flying type would be ok to take ground hits (but for a diferent angle) perhaps Gliscor, it works great to stall?

I can see that a Breloom is quite a problem in this team as in a TechniDancer a +2 mach punch is a fair 2hko on Tornadus. who is resistant, and your whole team is easily out sped by it (BAR Tornadus)

I can see that a Breloom is quite a problem in this team as in a TechniDancer a +2 mach punch is a fair 2hko on Tornadus. who is resistant, and your whole team is easily out sped by it (BAR Tornadus)
Yeah, considering that Tornadus would be much better then Zapdos, use Gliscor in place of Zapdos then.

Since your Tornadus has no status moves, you will want to run defiant over prankster, as its a completely useless ability then.

Grass types are usually a problem for rain teams, so you will be wanting to run the neutral gyroball over power whip for them.

Tornadus and Zapdos do the exact same thing, as far are synergy goes, for this team. I think you should choose one to keep for a slot and ditch the other, personally Zapdos seems to do more with lightning rod and stalling here, but Tornadus can still be used. Then you chould replace it with another pokemon to help out with synergy. I honestly can not think of what could replace it though, levitator/flying type would be ok to take ground hits (but for a diferent angle) perhaps Gliscor, it works great to stall?
Yeah, considering that Tornadus would be much better then Zapdos, use Gliscor in place of Zapdos then.
Then he could change to OU and not even worry about tecniloom, lol.
What would defiant help me with? Also Defiant hasn't been released yet, so I will use prankster for now to get out of DW

Thanks guys! Getting out of Dream World would be awesome just because of ST Chandulure and Contrary Serperrior

Gliscor would the physical wall l need and still have the electric immunity. And without Serperior l can keep Power Whip on Ferrothorn.

Any specific set? I would like an Ev spread suggested as I'm bad with Ev's.....

Where is the SubSeed Ludicolo with Rain Dish? I used to play a rain stall team kind of like this, and Ludicolo was my MVP. Something with a moveset like:
Ludicolo @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
252 HP/216 Def/40 SpD
-Leech Seed
-Subsititute
-Protect
-Scald/Giga Drain/Ice Beam

Try him out, I think it's a good fit for your team. =)

I tried out Ludicolo instead of Tentacruel, but he didn't seem to work very well. I chose Toxicroak over him and, for now, l won't look back/ Toxicroak can help deal with Chansey/Blissey with toxic, Ferrothorn, and frail psychics. He can also absorb TSpikes which is nice.

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
If you're having problems with other weather, why not throw Rain Dance on Torandus? If that were the case, you'd have to take out HP Ice or Focus Blast (neither of which I think is a problem, seeing as how you have them covered with Vaporeon and Toxicroak respectively). Running Specs then wouldn't be optimal, so a switch to Life Orb might be necessary.

I dunno, just a thought. +1 Priority Rain Dance is sure to mess with Sand Streamers enough until you have the chance to switch back to Politoed.

it was suggested above but Ludicolo is the MVP of rain stall, it causes so many switches with leech seed and ice beam is great coverage for dragons that try to switch in, or you can use giga drain to steal even more hp.

Stall is trying to wear down the opponent usually without attacking through status or pp stalling. Of course with magic guard users you need to change that now.

So it seems more of a rain team then stall. Anyways I still like it=p. I would sugget swords dance over bulk-up if you really want to set up in ferrothorn's face or chansey/blissey. As a +3 sucker punch will 1hit ko reuniclus=D

Testing Nasty Plot Thunderus> Torn.
Might change Torn to:
Hurricane
RD
Hammer Arm
Hp (Ice)

it was suggested above but Ludicolo is the MVP of rain stall, it causes so many switches with leech seed and ice beam is great coverage for dragons that try to switch in, or you can use giga drain to steal even more hp.

Stall is trying to wear down the opponent usually without attacking through status or pp stalling. Of course with magic guard users you need to change that now.

So it seems more of a rain team then stall. Anyways I still like it=p. I would sugget swords dance over bulk-up if you really want to set up in ferrothorn's face or chansey/blissey. As a +3 sucker punch will 1hit ko reuniclus=D
Eh l guess the way l play is stall, but this team has kinda moved away from stall and is now more of balanced l guess. I tried Ludicolo and l didn't like him. Ferrothorn couls still switch in and force me out.
As for Toxicroak BU>SD as l he single handily swept a SS team and wouldn't have with out the nice defense boost. Would have died from an Excadrill's EQ. I like BU better just for the fact that l can beat ferrothorn with a sub up more easily.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)