Volcarona (Analysis)

Definitely Flame Dance over any other fire move. The sp. attack boost is just too great to not use, and since it's exclusive to Volcarona... Well, I just like exclusive moves.

^That's pushing it, a lot.

And many Volcarona are running HP ground now, to hit Heatran, which would also hit Tenta.

Can we get some more clarification on the whole HP Rock/Ground losing 1 speed IV? Is it that big of a deal before QD?

Teammates section would be great considering the SR weakness needs to be taken care of in the best way possible.

HP Electric folks, I'm telling you. Tenta is fucked by it, as is Gyara and most Water and Flying types who's STABs you're weak to. It gets a neutral hit on Heatran as well. It gets neutral hits on almost all targets of HP Ground/Rock in general. Why people are worried about Heatran anyway is beyond me as it can't really do anything to you in return, whilst Tenta can at least set up Toxic Spikes and other assorted bullshit.

That and there's no speed drop.

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Can't we all just be content with the fact that the main Hidden Power listed in the OP are good enough? Most the Pokemon listed in the posts above me can be set up on VERY easily by Volcarona, save Gyarados who is hit by Hidden Power Rock.

If Volcarona is walled by something, deal with it by using teammates. That policy goes for other scary sweepers like Lucario and Jirachi, too, so there really should be little dispute as of right now.

(...and this is how I spend my 900th post)

So no mention of Psychic at all? As much as you'd think too many Dark types to use Psychic type moves, but using Hidden Power Rock/Ground in place of Psychic means more things resist it's moves than a combination of Bug/Fire/Psychic. Plus Bug Buzz already hits nearly every Dark type for Super-Effective damage anyways.

Using Hidden Power Ground and both STAB means the following resists you:

Aerodactyl
Altaria
Archeops
Charizard
Dragonite
Giratina
Gyarados
Ho-oh
Mantine
Moltres
Pelipper
Rayquaza
Rotom-H
Salamence
Swanna

Has many big things like Gyarados and Salamence, or possibly Dragonite as well among other things.

Here's the list for using Hidden Power Rock instead, not as big as using Hidden Power Ground:

Hariyama
Keldeo
Poliwrath
Terrakion

May not seem very threatening but you'd probably want to steer clear of Terrakion.

When using just Psychic though, it means Heatran is the only Pokemon resisting those moves. So would you rather have coverage that hits more for Super-Effective damage or have better Neutral coverage? I'd atleast mention Psychic for the latter.

But the key thing is that Heatran is just so prevelant that I run HP Ground pretty much solely for him! Psychic does indeed have the best coverage, but is unSTAB'd and barely hits anything for SE. Fire blast will do about the same damage to most of your top list, while the weaker STABs don't miss out on much.

HP Rock is a good medium, but I wouldn't risk staying in on those bulky Dragon Flyers/Gyarados, so as mentioned before, would switch out and save the moveslot to take out Heatran.

You should list a Substitute set with leftovers as a set.

252 SpA, 252 Spe, 4 SpD
Quiver Dance
Substitute
Fire Dance
Bug Buzz

This set loses out on a bit of coverage, but allows for setup on pokes that rely on status. For example, Substituting on the switch to Thundurus, or using Substitute to block a possible T-wave or Leech Seed from Ferrothorn. This also gives Volcarona a fighting chance against Chansey and Blissey, blocking their respective statuses and forcing Seismic Tosses. This takes some prediction work, but I find it to be worth it in the end.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)