Ask a simple question, get a simple answer - VGC edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find an IV Frame of One for captures and Eight for breeding. Then advance using Chatot and then Sweet Scent.
Can't you just advance with 128 steps + mons in your party? Or is that irrelevant for wild pokemon rnging? Also, with an IV frame of 1, you'd need like one Pokemon in your party? I use IV frames of 4 or 5 because I use synchronizers, sweet scenter, and one for capturing the Pokemon. However, I won't need the one to capture it because it's wild and low level so I'd need a frame of about 3 or 4. Is that correct?

Tyler

No Longer Live
won the 1st Smogon VGC Tournament
Can't you just advance with 128 steps + mons in your party? Or is that irrelevant for wild pokemon rnging? Also, with an IV frame of 1, you'd need like one Pokemon in your party? I use IV frames of 4 or 5 because I use synchronizers, sweet scenter, and one for capturing the Pokemon. However, I won't need the one to capture it because it's wild and low level so I'd need a frame of about 3 or 4. Is that correct?
Just do frame one. You start on frame one so all you will have to do is hit your seed and capture the poke via sweet scent+pokeball.

I'm very annoyed with the fact that Nintendo will go so far as to say that RNGing is an unethical practice, but admits that they are wholly impotent in countering it. Of course, I can't think of anything that they could do to outlaw the practice (other than just making a PRNG that is much, much harder to break).

Perhaps if they had something that could test the number of times the time has been changed in the last six months -- that would seem to capture the most common varieties of RNG, as there's no reason to change your clock thirty times a month unless you're abusing the RNG.

Or, in hindsight, they could have implemented a flag that marks any Pokemon caught or hatched within an hour of a time change as ineligible for competition. It would be possible to RNG tournament-eligible Pokemon, but would be so time-consuming as to be prohibitive.

As it is, I'm going to be spending hours and hours of breeding so that I can get Pokemon that are outclassed by something an RNGer spent five minutes on. And the genies and centaurs simply cannot be included on my team. That I must put myself at a significant disadvantage just to comply with ethical practice illustrates a crippling flaw in this whole setup. </rant>

----------------------

Now, to my question. Have they found Lum Berries on the Dream World yet? I still haven't seen any. Will they be available in time for VGCs?

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
That I must put myself at a significant disadvantage just to comply with ethical practice illustrates a crippling flaw in this whole setup. </rant>
Yeah, it's pretty stupid, but as long as they keep it legal I don't really care.
Now, to my question. Have they found Lum Berries on the Dream World yet? I still haven't seen any. Will they be available in time for VGCs?
I don't know if you can get any in the Dream World, but you can get one on Route 3 from a Breeder, and you can get one daily from doing the minigame on Village Bridge.

I'm very annoyed with the fact that Nintendo will go so far as to say that RNGing is an unethical practice, but admits that they are wholly impotent in countering it. Of course, I can't think of anything that they could do to outlaw the practice (other than just making a PRNG that is much, much harder to break).

Perhaps if they had something that could test the number of times the time has been changed in the last six months -- that would seem to capture the most common varieties of RNG, as there's no reason to change your clock thirty times a month unless you're abusing the RNG.

Or, in hindsight, they could have implemented a flag that marks any Pokemon caught or hatched within an hour of a time change as ineligible for competition. It would be possible to RNG tournament-eligible Pokemon, but would be so time-consuming as to be prohibitive.

As it is, I'm going to be spending hours and hours of breeding so that I can get Pokemon that are outclassed by something an RNGer spent five minutes on. And the genies and centaurs simply cannot be included on my team. That I must put myself at a significant disadvantage just to comply with ethical practice illustrates a crippling flaw in this whole setup. </rant>
I'm not quite sure I understand. If you know that RNGing is very easy to do, and you don't have an ethical problem with it, why not just RNG instead of mindless breeding? If you want I'll point out some guides that are user-friendly and easy to read.

---------------------------------

I have a question. A few years back I had a friend who went to the 08 tournament in LA, and I told him it might be a good idea to bring a notepad to record what's happened in the battle, just as a sort of "anchor" to keep him grounded and not trying to balance everything that's happened so far at the same time as he was strategizing for the rest of the battle. He told me afterwards that he got a few matches in, and was told to stop writing stuff down. Does anyone know if this restriction is still in place? I want to write about the matches and I don't think I have the memory to recall all (or even some) of the battes afterwards, so having a notepad would be helpful, even if just for the factors my friend used it for.

I have a question. A few years back I had a friend who went to the 08 tournament in LA, and I told him it might be a good idea to bring a notepad to record what's happened in the battle, just as a sort of "anchor" to keep him grounded and not trying to balance everything that's happened so far at the same time as he was strategizing for the rest of the battle. He told me afterwards that he got a few matches in, and was told to stop writing stuff down. Does anyone know if this restriction is still in place? I want to write about the matches and I don't think I have the memory to recall all (or even some) of the battes afterwards, so having a notepad would be helpful, even if just for the factors my friend used it for.[/QUOTE]

You can not write anything down during the match, it is on the official rules page. You can however record the match with the vs recorder, but thats it, not cameras/phones/mp3's are aloud out during a match.

How do people fail a hack check with over 510 EVs if a Pokemon can only have a total of 510? I have heard of some people having 512 and I was wondering how is that possible?

I have a question. A few years back I had a friend who went to the 08 tournament in LA, and I told him it might be a good idea to bring a notepad to record what's happened in the battle, just as a sort of "anchor" to keep him grounded and not trying to balance everything that's happened so far at the same time as he was strategizing for the rest of the battle. He told me afterwards that he got a few matches in, and was told to stop writing stuff down. Does anyone know if this restriction is still in place? I want to write about the matches and I don't think I have the memory to recall all (or even some) of the battes afterwards, so having a notepad would be helpful, even if just for the factors my friend used it for.

You can not write anything down during the match, it is on the official rules page. You can however record the match with the vs recorder, but thats it, not cameras/phones/mp3's are aloud out during a match.
I recall reading that you can't use a notepad, but if I were you I would just write down as much as I can until they tell me to stop :P

Is scrafty only useful with trick room up, or have any of you guys had success using a different set?
Not necessarily ONLY Trick Room. It can score maybe a KO outside of TR due to its bulk. Also, in Tailwind it's not half bad.

@ Mattj, that's why you give them the good ol' "oh, sorry. I didn't know :/"

Also, I have a question. Is Calm nature on Amoonguss good? Or are those defensive natures more beneficial?

Also, I have a question. Is Calm nature on Amoonguss good? Or are those defensive natures more beneficial?
It depends on what your team is weak to. If you have a lot of fighting weak pokemon, go defensive, but if your worried about chandelure, go calm. With a defensive spread, amoongus can wall with anger powder longer so your other pokemon will be able to attack.

I'm not quite sure I understand. If you know that RNGing is very easy to do, and you don't have an ethical problem with it, why not just RNG instead of mindless breeding? If you want I'll point out some guides that are user-friendly and easy to read.
Well, that's the thing. I do have an ethical problem with it. I'm not going to judge everyone else that's doing it, but personally, I'd rather compete knowing that my actions are within the spirit of the competition. It's just frustrating is all.

If Nintendo came out and said that RNGing was perfectly fine with them and in the spirit of the game, I'd do it. But they've made clear that such actions are a breach of the expected standard of conduct, so I can't feel okay about doing it. For them to say both that RNGing is unethical, but also that they won't do anything to prevent it, puts me in a bind.

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Personally, I think that prohibiting it would make the competition far worse. The amount of time it would take to properly prepare a competitive team without RNG is a much higher barrier to entry than simply having access to a decent computer. If RNG were banned, the top level of competition would be limited to people with way too much free time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)