darksoulSP's Top 32 San Jose Warstory (Completed!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys! DarksoulSP here with my warstory. I plan on editing it later, but I thought I would share my last battle with you until I edit it fully.

Most of you guys probably don't know me too well, but I am a big VGC gamer. Last year I made Top 32 as well running a gimmicky but effective Psych Drum team and just barely missing my invite thanks to probably the only Follow Me Cleffable in Top Cut. Hoping to do better this year, I sadly did not, just BARELY missing it. Oh well! Here's my story!

Round 1

The first match of the day was one of my least stressful. We both lead Mienshao, him with Carracosta and myself with Amoonguss. We both Fake Out the other Pokemon round 1, myself arguably having the advantage thanks to Sturdy no longer working. I nail his Shao with a Ji Jump Kick from my own, and kill Carracosta in on hit with Giga Drain. I guess he thought it was a good idea to Shell Smash? He then responds with Hydreigon and Archeops. His bird nails Shao with Acrobatics and I survive a Flamethrower from Hydreigon and respond with a Spore. I send in Vanilluxe and wreck through his remains with my Scarf Ice Beam, killing Archeops first and finishing off the sleeping dragon. Good game man, especially for a non-RNG team!

Round 2

Easiest match of the day. My combination of Tornadus and Vanilluxe each tear through Landorus, Terrakion, Amoonguss and Hydreigon either in one hit or surviving their attack and 2HKOing it the next. Pretty boring and straightforward.

Round 3

VERY stressful battle. He leads with "Double Genie" (Thundurus and Landorus) and I start with Chandelure and my own Thundurus. I chose Chandelure to counter TR, which the rest of his Pokemon appeared to capitalize on, but I am totally regretting it and feel the need to Protect. My Hidden Power Ice fails to kill his Yache Landorus, while his Earthquake fails that turn and a Gem-Boosted Discharge deals a bit less than 1/2 to my own Thundurus and paralyzes it as well. I'm REALLY nervous at this point. Chandelure survives Rock Slide (what a beast!) and kills Landorus with Shadow Ball, while poor Thundurus dies to HP Ice, avoiding the earlier spread attack. GO VANILLUXE!! .....Oh crap, he sent out Conkledurr. Knowing every Conk to Protect first turn (which he did), I double target Thundurus, but only Ice Beam was needed for the kill. I notice the strangest thing of all: he is not poisoned or burned, making it the obscenely rare Sheer Force version. Okaaaay.... The last Pokemon of his is Jellicent. Now, I KNOW that this was going to Trick Room, and I could have stopped it with Imprison, but I REALLY wanted it dead or hurt to ruin Water Spout, so I Shadow Ball it, while switching Vanilluxe to Amoonguss to avoid the Mach Punch KO (Upon doing this, my opponent breathes a sigh). Conkledurr actually used Rock Slide instead, killing Chandelure and doing about 1/4th to Amoonguss, and the Trick Room begins. Vanilluxe comes out again, but now he is free to choose Hidden Power Dark to try and KO what's left of Jellicent. Didn't matter though: Rock Slide almost kills it and Scald from Jellicent finishes off my poor ice cream, but Spore puts out Conkledurr. Good ol' Amoonguss is now faster than Jellicent thanks to Trick Room and I try to kill it with Giga Drain but am met with Protect and a zzzzzing clown. He tries going for a second Protect and fails, thank goodness, and getting rid of the dumb jellyfish. Now is the annoying part. Amoonguss is around half HP, Conkledurr has full HP (and, as I soon realize, leftovers), while there is about 3 minutes left. I have no idea how sudden death is determined, but I did NOT want to risk losing it. What basically occurred was a battle for healing, with him getting a lot of Protects + lefties healing and stalling the Giga Drain PP that I did not think would be necessary to max out.... When I finally killed the thing, I had 2 left, DANGEROUSLY close, but I did it! Amazing game!!

Whoooooh Top Cut! Top 50-something, and my buddy Taylor made it in too! Bye cards are given out to people randomly, and wouldn't you know it, EVERYone at our table except Taylor and I got one. HUH. Oh well, I met a few Smogonites briefly, notably the prestigious Huy! Fun times! Now for more battles.

Round 4

Man oh man, Top Cut, and I can tell just by looking at his team that it won't be easy, although Gothitelle's prescence DEFINETELY confused me. Once again misinterpreting it as Trick Room, I lead with Chandelure, as well as Amoonguss, against his Hydreigon and Conkledurr. I Protect Chandelure to avoid a Dark Pulse, but instead I got Flamethrowered on Amoonguss. At least I am able to Spore it, and Conkledurr uses an Earthquake that hits and kills my poor shroom. I see Life Orb recoil and I wonder if Rapture has occurred yet. At least, the odds of it occurring seem higher than running into two Sheer Force Conkledurrs in my life. In any case, out comes Tornadus to eat up the clown while Chandelure Imprisons, just in case. Krookodile comes out, making me cringe, but no Attack is lowered. SERIOUSLY, did this guy give up on the right Abilities?! In any case, Hydreigon wakes up and kills Tornadus with Draco Meteor but not before taking a solid chunk from some Acrobatics. Krookodile Protected, for some reason, so Chandelure was off the hook for a turn. Out comes my last, Mienshao, and I'm not sure what to do. Vaguelly recalling how much a Chople Hi Jump Kick does to Krook, I decide to Fake Out to ensure the next kill and no Chople nonsense. Then, the strangest move of all: SURF FROM HYDREIGON. Sure, it killed Chandelure and did decent damage to Mienshao, but it hit his own ally for super effective damage. I thought for sure it would die, but it actually lived at 3 health, he said. This guy is a better prophet than Harold Camping to predict it would live. Doesn't matter to me though, they both get cleaned up by Rock Slide from my friend with the crippled paws. Wondering just what his last Pokemon is, I expect the worst: Gothitelle would be basically unbeatable. Instead he sends out Chandelure. AMAZING!!! Rock Slide is at full power on one target so let's go! ....Woah, it survived.... Uh oh......

FLINCH

HOLY. CRAP. Lucky lucky lucky. I asked him what he was going to use. He said Flamethrower. To be fair, I think my Mienshao could have actually taken the hit, but I am overjoyed at the win despite any hax. Awesome game from an unorthodox team.

Round 5: vs Metabou

Not going to lie, I was pretty nervous about this battle. He leads Terrakion and Tornadus against my Mienshao and Amoonguss. He double protects my Fake Out round 1. Next turn I land a High Jump Kick on Terrakion, surviving with 1 HP thanks to his Sash, and I Protect Amoonguss from Acrobatics, which I note is strangely slower than my Shao. Next turn I misplay. I Protect again with Amoonguss while his Tornadus also Protects, and Terra CCs my Mienshao for the KO. Definetely should have Rage Powedered. I bring in my Tornadus. I use Flight Gem Acrobatics on Tornadus, Metabou chuckles a bit and told me he was EVd to take that hit, which he sure enough does. His Acrobatics KOs my Guss, Efect Spore activates, hoping for Poison or Sleep, get Paralyze. I really can't complain though, lucky me. I just barely live through Terrakion's Rock Slide. I send out Vanilluxe, my last hope. Knowing Tornadus will Tailwind, I use it as well, and Terrakion kills me with Quick Attack, while I KO in return with Ice Beam. All I have left it Vanilluxe to his 3, feeling very nervous. He sends out Amoonguss. Hoping for Parahax, I hit Amoonguss with Ice Beam, I get the Freeze that the inside of my head was shouting for, but am dismayed that my clean 2HKO on it is ruined by his Sitrus Berry. Acrobatics leaves me with about 1/4th left. I kill Tornadus while he is still frozen. Metabou tells me he is glad that the hax occurred now, when he could still have the win with Thundurus. Smirking to myself that he has not realized my Scarf, I grab the KO on Thundurus and Amoonguss is still frozen. He looks very upset. I hit Amoonguss, survives with 10 HP, he tells me later, defrosts and Spores me. Now I am BEGGING to T1 wake up or survive Giga Drain, but alas, I do neither. Amazing game Metabou!

SO there's the end of my adventure. I honesly can't complain, for I had some amazing luck in my last 2 battles, but it just wasn't enough to get that invite I desperately needed. I'm also a bit sad to have not improved from last year. But hey, I'm living, right? Was a bit worried there. XD

Props:
Top 32 with my friends is still prestigious!
An awesome adventure with my buddy Taylor.
Meeting cool people like Huy!
Getting hit on by a cute girl! Too bad I'm taken wahahaha! ;D
MVP Vanilluxe!
TPCi getting more and more organized every year!
Awesome luck!
Dance party with MC Nick, Pikachu, and lovely volleyball wimminz
THE KIND PEOPLE AT SMOGON!! Muffin is my hero for helping me with 1/3 of my team, and Andrea helped my friend Taylor on the day of the event! YOU GUYS ARE AMAZING!!! Could NOT have done this without you guys! :'D

Slops:
Awesome luck not going far enough! XD
Chandelure being a dead weight in my matches and using my Focus Sash slot.
Spending the money on a trip that did not score me a Nats invite

Well, only positivity can help me! I'll still have my year to shine.
To Worlds Grinders! AWAAAY!! :D

Yeah, my Tornadus' EV Spread helped Metabou because its awesome like that.

Nice job though! Looking forward to seeing this being completed.

breh

強いだね
I remember seeing you (or at least hearing your name mentioned) but I can't for the life of me remember who you were. Can you please describe yourself?

EDIT: hm, I still can't remember.

(this wouldn't have happened if I had gone to sleep at 10 last night instead of 12...)

Also I can't believe I was stupid enough to omit commentary on the match. It's pretty awesome that you were able to do so well against Metabou; the comeback was pretty cool and the ending was similarly so. At the very least, your last battle was definitely an interesting one.

Props on getting to 32!

Nice story, it's good that you remembered your battle so vividly. I'm wondering why you put Hi Jump Kick on Mienshao though, as it is very dangerous in double battles with the commonness of Protect.

Nice story, it's good that you remembered your battle so vividly. I'm wondering why you put Hi Jump Kick on Mienshao though, as it is very dangerous in double battles with the commonness of Protect.
Admittedly, it is very high-risk high-reward. I found Drain Punch to be utterly useless, and therefore I decided to go for HJK. Believe it or not, I was never Protected against it!

Wow great war story I can't believe that you remember your matches so well haha and surprised that you actually used vanilluxe seeing you and zerowing get so far with them makes me want to use one at nationals now haha.

Wes

I actually was going to use a Vanilluxe when I first wanted to do this in B/W. But then I was like eh. But you deff proved that it's worth something to get you to r5. Great job, and that was a great story.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)