5th Gen Experimentation... :) Standard OU

INTRO

Hello everybody and thank you for coming to my RMT! This is my first 5th gen team ever and its been funnn. At first like a lot of others i was very reluctant to get into 5th gen after battling in 4th gen for months. But now im here! Ive been playing with this team for quite a while (a few weeks).. Ive tried many changes to it but i still know that their can still be many improvements to it...and thats where u all come in!!!
Im willing to make Almost any change so any forms or recomendation will be taken with much gratuity... Enjoy!!!

THE TEAM

Pumba (Mamoswine) (M) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Oblivious
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Endeavor
My trusty lead!!!! Im surprised this mamoswine isn't used much more... Hes been on this team since the beginning..
Most of the time i set up instant stealth rocks...Sometimes though, if its something like ttar i consider using a quick earthquake to take em out really quick.
Ice shard (besides being good for revenge kills) is there for the obvious reason being paired up really well with endeavor (which works well with a focus sash). This strategy has works countless times although my mamo is left with 1 hp :P
Recenty Ive tried keeping mamoswine alive past the first few turns as ive realized he does well as a revenge killer (with ice shard and his pretty good speed) and to be able to absorb some nasty electric attacks

Steelix (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SDef
Sassy Nature (+SDef, -Spd)
- Ice Fang
- Earthquake
- Gyro Ball
- Roar
Ahhhh Steelix... This is one im iffy about. I have him on here as a dragon counter... I wish his attacks could do a little more though :/
Roar has helped in stopping sweeps a few times but besides those two functions steelix hasnt been doing much for me (any changes on the poke or changing of the poke completely are largely needed here)

Hotty (Weezing) (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Flamethrower
- Thunderbolt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split
I Love weezing.. a huge problem on my time in the past was Breloom. That fear is nonexistent with this guy on my team. Beastly defences and WoW stop so many physical sweepers in their tracks. Flamethrower and Tbolt are nice for some extra type coverage on my team too. And ive had several stall wars with pain split/WoW so thats cool too :P

Hydreigon (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 255 SAtk / 252 Spd
Hardy Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Surf
- Taunt
I picked this guy as my special sweeper just because I love him as a pokemon. Ive gotta say i dont think im willing to change this one out for anything. Taunt is helpful on stopping a sweep before it starts and stopping some other annoying status inflicting thing.. His moves provide obvious type coverage.. I guess the main problem with him is that he doesnt do so well against other dragons (which is why i really need a dragon counter on my team)

MagicMan (Jellicent) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 124 SAtk / 124 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Surf
- Recover
- Shadow Ball
- Will-O-Wisp
I love this guy in all his mustachey glory! Perfect for absorbing fighting type moves aimed at a lot of my team. (then stops scares a lot of them away with WoW) Sometimes able to stall with recover but that doesnt happen too much due to its crappy defence. A big problem with this is other ghost types like gengar Shadow balling it up to mustache heaven.

Jupiter (Snorlax) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Immunity
EVs: 168 HP / 120 Def / 220 SDef
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Curse
- Body Slam
- Earthquake
- Crunch
The normal curselax.... Not much to say here except that immunity is really nice because it absorbs toxics that are commonly aimed at this guy. Crunch takes out ghosts that think they will wall lax. Body Slam is good for para hax and eq is just for type coverage.. I could possibly switch this guy for some other kind of bulky physical sweeper.. :)

Thank You!!!!!!!!!

Needless to say my teams pretty defensive... As bad as i make some of the parts of it sound i really haven't done bad with it. I just know it could be a bit better with some "professional" changes... Thank you so much!

Hey, Im new at this so bare with my somewhat discombobulated thoughts.

I dont see steelix doing any other things that other steels do so it just looks inferior to me. Yes it has roar but pokemon like bronzong still seem to be better in my opinion. If you really want to keep it I have used a rest sleep talk set with dragon tail that works out pretty good.

I think not many people comment just because there isnt really a specific playstyle to it and it makes it a tad hard to rate the cohesiveness in your team.

Ive never used curselax this gen but I imagine it being hard to set up so I ight go with banded snorlax, but I dont know too much on curselax....
and thats pretty much all I could say because I dont kn ow what your team is trying to achieve. You might want to go to battliung 101 or somewhere to learn about the different playstyles.

Hmm. A LOT of weaknesses to Fighting. Maybe try switching some movesets around or something so you don't have that weakness staring you in the face.

3 things
Your team is very weak to fighting types. a flame orb conkeldurr will do around 80% followed by a KO from mach punch. this includes getting a curse assuming conkeldurr outspeeds.
I don't enjoy WoW on Weez. Especially with Def EVs. You should run Sp Def if you plan on running WoW. Or run sludge bomb/ explosion. If you don't like either of there suggestions then my third would be giving some more spdef EVs
Besides Sazandora, your team could work really well in Trick Room, but if you insist on Sazzy then don't go with TR

Question: Why do you run 255 SpAtk EVs on Hydreigon when the extra 3 EVs are useless and can be used with the remaining 3 other EVs to put another point into another stat?
For Hydreigon, run Modest/Timid Nature because Hardy is useless and you wont be knocking out much without Modest or outspeeding much without Jolly.

This is a pretty good team. You are definitly fighting weak, four weaknesses on one team is never good. A Reuniclus with all three coverage moves is going to tear this team apart.

I have never been a fan of lead Mamoswine, finding it difficult to get up Rocks and take something out, but the set is standard and it is a generally acceptable set so no problems there.

For Steelix, I would first off replace Roar with Dragon Tail, which does the samething but provides it with a little damage on the way out. If you want change the pokemon, the two obvious choices for replacement would be Heatran and Ferrothorn, with any of their bulky sets. You can find them on this site, because I don't feel like putting them here.

For Weezing, I think that it is common that Fire Blast is used over Flamethrower to deal with the iffy special attack, but that is not that big a change. Everything else is fine.

For Hydreigon, I would recommend a Scarf set, which will outspeed a lot and can hit hard off the 125 special attack. Try the standard.
Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
Ability- Levitate
Nature- Timid
EV'- 4 HP, 252 SAtk, 252 Spd
1. Draco Meteor
2. Surf
3. Fire Blast
4. U-Turn
This set can revenge kill a lot of the metagame, except for Scarfchomp. Draco Meteor for hitting hard, Surf and Flamethrower for coverage, and U-Turn for scouting.

For Jellicent, the set looks fine. The only thing I see is that you are only running 504 EV's, so you are wasting a stat point. I would also say that your EV spread is rather awkward. I would recommend a 252HP/ 36 Def/ 220 SDef spread, because this is your only real special wall, and you should maximize its walling ability.

I hate Curselax, but there are few changes I would make. Return over Body Slam because you want the extra power and paralysis can actually hurt a stall team because you can't give them poison or burn. Crunch is fine, but I think most people run Fire Punch because the prevalence of Balloon and levitate, plus the annoyance of Skarmory. Finally, run 252 HP, 4 Def, 252 SDef with the same nature because you want to max out the defense that isn't being boosted.

Good Luck

awyp

'Alexa play Ladyfingers by Herb Alpert'
is a Top Tutoris a Top Team Rateris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
RMT Leader
Hey Andymax94, this is a decent start for a experimentation with Gen 5, I'll try to help you and improve on it since I feel it has some talent.

To first start off, I don't know why you have a hardy nature on Hydreigon, since he isn't really that fast and you're using Life-orb for extra damage, so change the nature into timid for the extra speed you might need on to sweep in late game. From what I'm seeing you're using very uncommon pokes that I never see in Gen.5 OU, and there might be a reason for that like for Steelix example, I don't see why you have it there unless being a major use for defense on your team, but you aren't even using it's viable specialty which is usually being a Stealth rocker. So in my opinion you might want to change it to something useful that's isn't going to be a waste of space but also have a great amount of defense. Skarmory caught my mind when you said on something to counter most dragon, the pokemon that's currently ruling the metagame is Garchomp and Skarmory totally denies it's Substitute Swords dance set. Overall, Skarmory is a great spiker and it's definitely used in this Metagame. So in my opinion replace Steelix for Skarmory since it'll be doing way more use on the team by taking on physical competitors but also setting up spikes on the other side to ware the other pokemon on the other team down. Here's the set you might want to use:

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Nature: Impish
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Moveset: Spikes, Brave Bird, Roost, Whirlwind

Standard set here, Spikes is to ware down the other pokemon and just adding damage on to the field really useful and mandatory for most Skarmory sets. Brave Bird is the strongest attack Skarmory possess the only downfall onto it which isn't really that bad is the recoil on it. Roost is self-explanatory, and Whirlwind is to phaze out the other team and to continue to damage them with spikes if you have 3 layers of it.

Some small changes might be on Snorlax, since it's a very slow pokemon and barely ever gets off a sweep, I recommend you to carry the Rest and remove Earthquake since it really isn't needed. The other thing that's minor is you might want to try this EV set 4 Att/ 252 SpD / 252 HP since it's recommended and defense is already being boosted up by curse so it's useless to have Defense EVs anyway. On Jellicent the set you have a mediocre EV spread the recommended is 252 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD since it adds more Special defense and Jellicent doesn't have that great of a Special attack to even add on so it wouldn't make a difference, the other change I would like to make on Jellicent is that you might want to remove surf, and add Scald to add the % of the other Pokemon being burned so you can ware it away.

Other then that I think your team from those changes can pull of more wins then you could've before. Good luck.

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Very true. A conkelldurr can't be stopped by burn from weezing or jellicent, and can payback/stone edge through them easily. Everything else is raped by fighting. Steelix doesn't look too good, if you're looking for a massive physical wall you could try skarm or cloyster.

I'm gonna have to agree with the other 4 or so people that said you team is weak is fighting. Sure you have a Jellicent but a good Scrafty, Conkelldurr, Gallade could sweep through half you're team. I'm thinking maybe use a Gliscor instead of Steelix.

Gliscor@Toxic Orb
Trait: Poison Heal
Nature: Impish
Moveset: Toxic, Earthquake, Ice Fang/Facade, Protect

Can't shuffle foes with Roar like Steelix but can help wall Fighting Types

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)