the long overdue digimon thread

i remember cheez tv

god damn that was good

also yeah the first digimon movie was actually p. good with the whole villain on the internet and unimon (or omnimon, might be a regional thing)

Me! I remember when we moved to Melbourne we actually got reception for channels outside ABC, and I would get up during the holidays or early mornings to watch it (exept most mornings I had to be out the door at 7 latest). I saw a little at my Dad's house pre-move too. I used to always be praying for Pokemon or Digimon to be on, and when they cut it here I felt like going T_T for ever. I've watched Digimon Data Squad (IDK which series it is, not #1) and a bit of 1, and liked both. I've always had a secret love of Digimon (except Numemon and co., they just look retarded) and I will never forget the day my KaratsukiNumemon digivolved into Digitamamon. Veemon and co. are cool also, but Gatomon must be my favourite. I obviously like Pokemon more, but Digimon is really refreshing and kind of nice to play. I've tried out the PS1 game, but my cousin's old console kept crashing so I never even got to battle T_T.

it's worth noting that digimon world for ps1 is my favourite game of all time, and every few months i break it out and do a run through. it's a lot of fun trying to go through it in as little game time as possible, and the game is just so quirky and in-depth that i learn something new every time.

the city-building premise, general atmosphere, wonderful soundtrack, and even the inchoate yet addictive battle system join forces to make one of the most enjoyable games ever for people who like battling monsters (i am on the right forum??????). the fact that so much about the game is still nowhere near understood is a big part of the fun. why do you fail to digivolve into the right mon sometimes with perfect parameters/care mistakes/weight? why do you sometimes digivolve into an excellent mon with a dilettante tamer level and weird parameters? why do you sometimes learn a tech when an opposing monster uses it once and you have <100 brains, yet have to spend an hour trying to get another tech with 999 brains and the opposing mon spamming it? why is monochromon's shop the biggest load of bullshit in video game history? I DON'T KNOW BUT I LOVE THIS FUCKING GAME

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AT5GMzDDdCQ LISTEN TO THIS SONG

i'm pretty sure i first played this game ten years ago, when i was a wee monster raising aspirant of maybe 12 years, and fell in love instantly. i say with candor that a remake of this game with some glitch-fixing, maybe some more mons, and more areas to explore has been my biggest wish for the past decade.

sdghjsadhjghjshjg i wish i was playing it right now (dont tell synre that i like this game a bit more than monster rancher 2 but only a bit!!!!!)

Glen I was about to post exactly along the lines of what you said. I LOVED that game. I first played it when I was 7 or something, and continued playing it for a few years. I never even finished it damnit, and now I wanna play it so badly again for nostalgia's sake.
It had everything, from meat growing in the ground to penguins playing curling.
I think the best mon I ever got was metalseadramon, and I was so sad to let him die. But I agree it was one of the best games, so far ahead of its time and I wish there was a remake!

Edit: I tried Digimon World Dawn and Dusk on DS a few years ago and was really disappointed, as it retained almost none of the original elements.

once i got a numemon on DW and was pretty unhappy with it. still, i decided to train it a bit. after one long battle it evolved into skullgreymon, only to die and revert back to an egg like 10 minutes later. the whole game is insane and i love it

it is also the best digimon game i've played. there's also 2 and 3 for the psx, but both are pretty sucky. 2 is just awkward and 3 is a grindfest and missing simple stuff like a goddamn fly function or a teleport or something. you have to walk FOREVER in this game. I never finished it but it was the only one that came close to the 1st. if anything, it had loooooooooooaaaaaaaaaads of digivolutions.

digimon rumble arena is another good series. the first one for the playstation was a simple 1 vs 1 fighting game with evolutions, however the 2nd one for the ps2 was awesome because it as kind of a super smash bros clone with multiple evolutions. i actually convinced a few friends to play this with me for a while, it is fun.

digimon world was THE mystery game back when I as a kid. the tips they gave you were so fucking vague and the whole game still retains today a lot of that mystery

Damn I loved Digimon World 1 and later 2 that it's safe to say it was the most important game of my childhood.
Back then I barely knew how to read english and had major fun solving the game's silly puzzles.

But the best part was probably when I first managed to evolve to Megadramon. Before that I didn't know how to safely evolve to ultimates so I'd over train my champions and beat some bosses with them before they died.

Wow, I never expected so many people to have played this game!
I remember I got metalseadramon by buying coelamon from the big toad, turning him into a shit and getting him changed back into metalseadramon by the turd king.
But there were so many places I didnt fully explore! Djakakyoebabq I say we all do a run through of this game again.
And I love the tokomon nastyjungle! :)

digimon rumble arena was annoying though, you'd be whooping some digimon's ass until he hits you once and you lose all your crystals something or other

digimon world 1 and digimon world 3 were the better ps1 games imo. The other digimon games were very different and lacked the quality of the mentioned 2 games (i believe digimon world 1 was the polished and more complex out of them all)

ALSO does anyone remember getting the digimon DIGI-FX card things that you got from chip packets? I still have a collector's album in front of me right now

v

protected by a silver spoon
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
i have a season 1 digivice game, 3 season 2 (a red one, a b lue one, and a limited edition black/grey digimon emperor one) digivices, a d-terminal, and a season 3 digivice with that stupid bullshit blue card that you need to evolve. theyre like the pokewalkers pretty much, and they occupied me during many a second grade math class.

Digimon World was pretty godlike but too difficult for my 8 year old self :(

Digimon in general was great, even season 4 wasn't that bad to me.

Eraddd

One Pixel
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I thought the first 2 seasons were good, but only for the younger audience. I rewatched it a year ago, and I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would.

Now, back then, I watched season 3. When I was young, I didn't like it too much, and I only got up to a certain point in the season. However, I rewatched it back in gr 12, and it was honestly the best digimon series I've watched thus far. The atmosphere was a tad bit darker, and I thought it played with my sympathies and emotions a bit more. I also ruined it a bit by analyzing the series like I would with an academic piece of literature (metaphors, symbolisms, tone, mood etc), and I found that it actually enhanced the experience, rather than ruin it like it did for a few other shows. I'm currently rewatching one episode at a time. Season 4 and 5 were brutal. Not touching season 6.

Do you recommend me trying season 5 again? I watched the first 5 episodes, and gave up tbh.
It starts really slow, but after episode 12, it get's really good. The villain is such an evil bastard that I think that he's one of the top 3 best Digimon villains.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
All of these things look like Pokemon!

The only thing I didn't really like was that the mons only had like one attack, save for way later in the series. I liked season 1, 2, and what I saw of 3. After that I tuned in on some random episode and it was very wtf from there.

BlackWarGreyMon ftw.

I've only seen up to part of season five, so with what I've seen I would rank the seasons sequentially.

Man, I remember getting Digimon World for the card. I should actually go beat it now since the best I did those years ago was to get something I can only describe today as a Lairon. After it died, I straight quit. It would be fun to go back and crush everything.

The only thing I didn't really like was that the mons only had like one attack, save for way later in the series. I liked season 1, 2, and what I saw of 3. After that I tuned in on some random episode and it was very wtf from there.
Early Digimon may have had few attacks but with names like Fist of the Beast King, Hand of Fate, and River of Power, you couldn't really go wrong.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)