Ask a simple question, get a simple answer - VGC edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was actually referring to putting Thundurus/Eelektross on my Tailwind team as a counter to opposing genies. I was thinking of using Eelektross for this purpose, but I've been hearing from some people on Skarmbliss that Thundurus would be better for me, and would like a few more opinions if possible.
If so, I would still go with Thundurus. Run it with HP Ice for Landorus and Thundurus, and run Thunderbolt for Tornadus. The reason Thundurus is preferred over Eelektross is because Tailwind is too prevalent so never assume the opponent is not using it before you see their team. This way, it'll still be a speed tie between your genies and the opponent's genies if you and them have Tailwind up simultaneously.

TTS

Articulate Potty Lid
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
If so, I would still go with Thundurus. Run it with HP Ice for Landorus and Thundurus, and run Thunderbolt for Tornadus. The reason Thundurus is preferred over Eelektross is because Tailwind is too prevalent so never assume the opponent is not using it before you see their team. This way, it'll still be a speed tie between your genies and the opponent's genies if you and them have Tailwind up simultaneously.
Neutral STAB thunderbolt does more than 2x SE HP Ice. (In this example, vs opposing Thunduruses)

95 * 1.5 = 142.5
70 * 2 = 140

HP Ice Eelektross is only used for ground-types really and the 3 dragons. Thunderbolt and Flamethrower cover pretty much everything else.

OK, another question. I know I can use PO for team-testing, but is it also possible that the Battle Subway is effective for VGC training?

JRank

Jonny
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
OK, another question. I know I can use PO for team-testing, but is it also possible that the Battle Subway is effective for VGC training?
It's not good if you're looking for other VGC teams, as the trainers use Pokemon from outside Unova. However, if you haven't played on a cart yet I find that the best way to get used to cart mechanics/animations and double battles in general is going a few rounds on the super double train.

Thanks for your reply. The fact that a speed tie is so likely is actually one of the reasons that I was thinking of Eelektross over Thundurus for my 6th; if my Thundurus loses the speed tie and gets damaged by an Electric Gem Thunderbolt, he takes a serious dent, but Eelektross is bulkier. For this reason, Eelektross would also be nicer against Trick Room; the rest of my team is Mienshao/Tornadus/Hydreigon/Conkeldurr/Chandelure, and although Chandy has Imprison, sometimes I can't stop them from killing Chandy and getting TR off. With Thundurus, 5 of my 6 Pokémon would be fast and frail (Conkeldurr being the exception, obviously), which means I am pretty much screwed if TR gets up.

Thanks for your reply. The fact that a speed tie is so likely is actually one of the reasons that I was thinking of Eelektross over Thundurus for my 6th; if my Thundurus loses the speed tie and gets damaged by an Electric Gem Thunderbolt, he takes a serious dent, but Eelektross is bulkier. For this reason, Eelektross would also be nicer against Trick Room; the rest of my team is Mienshao/Tornadus/Hydreigon/Conkeldurr/Chandelure, and although Chandy has Imprison, sometimes I can't stop them from killing Chandy and getting TR off. With Thundurus, 5 of my 6 Pokémon would be fast and frail (Conkeldurr being the exception, obviously), which means I am pretty much screwed if TR gets up.
Your right. If so be the case, go with Eelektross over Thundurus. Try testing with both on PO, and see which one you prefer.

What EV spread for Conkeldurr do you all recommend? I was planning on the standard 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD, but someone on Skarmbliss suggested I invest a bit more in SpD since he is already very bulky physically. I see 152 HP / 252 Atk / 104 SpD mentioned in the analysis (gives as much bulk as possible while minimizing Flame Orb burn damage), and cosmicexplorer even suggested 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 SpD, saying he thought it was the best.

FYI, my moveset is Drain Punch / Mach Punch / Rock Slide / Detect (with Flame Orb for the item, Guts for the ability, and Adamant for the nature).

Well, I think SpD would be smart. It would allow you to survive Psychics from Musharna. Conkeldurr dies 100% of the time from a Jolly Tornadus Acrobatics with 252HP/252Atk/4SpD so sacrificing some HP to put into SpD seems very viable since its going to kill him regardless.

The only hidden abilities allowed are Telepathy Musharna and Zen Mode Darmanitan as they're available in game. All others are banned as they're unreleased.

How early should I get to the DC tournament? Junior/Senior starts wicked early in the morning, but Master's registration doesn't start until 1. I wanted to check out the early tournament before the registration, but obviously if the lines are going to be insane I won't.

I only live like twenty minutes away from Chantilly, so time or distance isn't really an issue for me.

Also, more noobish questions- do they usually have anything food/merch-related to buy? Or am I on my own for lunch?

Thanks in advance! :)

If me and my friend walk into Masters with two same Pokemon RNG'd on the exact date, time, and PID frame, could we might as well be walking in with clones?

The national championships are invite-only, but the last chance qualifier is open to anyone (except people who have invitations already).
Ah I ask because I am midwest player and Indianapolis is the only location I'm able to get to reasonably. I guess I won't compete this year

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Ah I ask because I am midwest player and Indianapolis is the only location I'm able to get to reasonably. I guess I won't compete this year
The Last Chance Qualifier happens on Friday. The Nationals are on Saturday and Sunday. You can compete in the LCQ on Friday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)