Elder Scrolls

Does any one play the Elder Scrolls games? IE. Morrowind Oblivion etc.
Do any of you want Skyrim? I for one love all the games what are your thoughts on them?

Al_Alchemist

Physics and Math \O/
is a Past SPL Champion
I WANT SKYRIM SO BAD ;O;!

But yeah, Oblivion was really sick, probably the best RPG game of its time. It still holds up damn well today, although mostly for PC versions since there's mods.

Dark Brotherhood quests and just side/clan quests in general were probably the highlights for me in Oblivion, just to have so many other options, rather than just blindly following the main quest like every other game that has ever been made, and stuff.

psyched for skyrim. i have a lot of hours on oblivion, completed the main quest and am head of all the factions, haven't really played around with any mods yet so if anybody could suggest me some to satiate my elder scrolls hunger until skyrim comes out that would be stellar

i see myself playing another thief/assassin type character in skyrim. the character interface looks amazing with the constellations etc. i hope there are still hilarious ways to break the game like 100% chameleon

Actually not looking forward to Skyrim. I started playing Morrowind several years ago and instantly fell in love with it for its immersive, rich environment.

I played Oblivion, and frankly, I don't care for it. All the leveled dungeons kind of added a level-grinding aspect to the game, and added a pressure to keep up with the bandits in terms of equipment. I felt more of a need to have the best armor I could possibly have than to just have fun.

I also wasn't a fan of the voice-acting in Oblivion. There were thousands of lines of dialogue in the game, and the majority of them seemed very forced and fake, taking away from the immersive experience. I actually prefer to read the text on-screen, a la Morrowind.

I've since gone back to Morrowind. Hell, I played it today. I like it much more than Oblivion.

So, I probably won't touch Skyrim, but I'll be playing Morrowind when the apocalypse comes.

so if anybody could suggest me some to satiate my elder scrolls hunger until skyrim comes out that would be stellar
Just play Morrowind, it's a timeless game, and the graphics are still bearable enough to not make you want to scoop your eyeballs out. Ultimately a superior game to Oblivion, imho.
But god yes, bring on Skyrim. Dont think I can wait much longer!

my main gripe with morrowind is (yeah you morrowind fanboys can yell at me for this) the lack of a compass. sometimes the directions they give you are really vague and sometimes i just don't WANT to spend half an hour walking across morrowind

True, that was one of its shortcomings. At times I did find myself searching for some cave or something only to find I had travelled too far North and it is nowhere near where I am. But it did also add to the vastness and how easy it is to get lost.
If it really bugs you I'm sure theres a mod or something.

I played Morrowind ages ago and spent well over 100 hours in the game doing everything I could, and just generally exploring the environment. In regards to the lack of decent minimap/compass, the best way to correct this without mods is to use the googlemaps style map hosted by UESP (Unofficial Elder Scrolls Page).

And then pretty much as soon as I found out that Skyrim is coming out, I decided to play Oblivion. My main gripe with Oblivion is that (for an Elder Scrolls game) it is remarkably shallow, with a huge lack in memorable things, quests and people around the world. The storyline was incredibly lacking, the voice acting was crap (although Sean Bean as Martin and Patrick Stewart as Uriel Septim was amazing), and I found it very much a chore nearer to the end of the game, around about the time I started the "Defense for Bruma" quest, and it became more of a hunt to simply get the best items. It was extremely easy to get well over 100% Chameleon with no spells or potions involved (ring of Khajiit/ring of shadows/2 transcendent sigil stones). It was also quite easy to obtain over 100% reflect damage and 100pts of resist magic. Such shoddy mechanics as these broke the game, and I very much wish that they fix that.

The main thing I'm hoping for in Skyrim is a much more open-ended storyline, and due to the political turmoil that will be occurring with the various factions vying for power, this will more than likely happen. Being able to choose which candidate to take the throne, and this then entirely shaping the game down a different path will be amazing. Coupled in with the RadiantStory system that the NPCs in this game will be running on, Skyrim can be expected to be a much more in-depth game with *hopefully* a lot more depth and customization to it.

monkfish

what are birds? we just don't know.
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
i would like to point out that levelled enemies were also featured in morrowind, but you dont appear to be complaining about them. and don't talk to me about 100% chameleon in oblivion - powergaming in morrowind is the easiest thing ever. permanent 300pt levitation and 100% chameleon with a dagger of 25pt absorb health, anyone?

honestly the only thing that morrowind did better than oblivion was atmosphere - the locations were far more varied and the culture seemed more rich. in terms of gameplay, however, i found oblivion to be far more balanced.

i'm interested in skyrim but not overly enthused. i've had an issue with the ES levelling system since i first started playing. yes, it "makes sense" but it's so tedious and open to abuse that it cheapens the game. i'd much rather see fallout 3-style levelling, with a standard XP system. basically i want skyrim to be fallout 3 except like 1000 years earlier

Hipmonlee

Have a nice day
is a Community Contributoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
Levelling in es is absurd, and it was definitely way worse in oblivion, with all the group levels, where you are being assisted by people who just run out and die in one hit (if they dont jump into a pool of lava first).

Also things like the fact that pretty quickly in oblivion you will find yourself attacked by bandits carrying a kings ransom worth of equipment. I am assuming this probably happen in morrowind as well, but I never really noticed it..

I think with ES games, there is just so much potential there, but, they just disappoint me every time. The storylines are always just too uncompelling, I think this is mostly due to the fact that they dont involve any characters at all.. The dark brotherhood was about as good as it ever got (actually the shimmering isles was probably the best ES game storywise).

They do seem to be trying though, oblivion gave the impression it was trying harder to achieve that than morrowind, though I do think morrowind was more fun.

What I liked about morrowind, is it had a real sandbox feel. Like that if I had the knowledge I could just walk to the endgame and win it at any time, whereas oblivion seemed to be dragging me by the ear through the game.

I also liked that for replay value in morrowind I could break into a vault in the big city and steal enough money to enchant a good enough weapon to actually kill things with. It was pretty lame going to all that effort to break into palaces only to find replicas of shit, with no vaults..

Have a nice day.

The unrealistic/unresponsive AI in TESIV was so noticable lol. Like there was this one sidequest where you had to save this lizard merchant's daughter from a bunch of bandits (Hackdirt?). I mistarget a single attack on her(an ally) because we've gotten into this enormous shitpile of a battle with the bandits chasing us, and she DOESN'T STOP ATTACKING ME NO MATTER WHAT. And fuck the psychic guards. Games like KotOR and Majora's Mask had way more interesting NPC interaction IMO. Those games had way less choices, but Oblivion felt like it had way too many choices to manage and didn't really balance punishment and reward realistically.

For all its awkwardness I still enjoyed Oblivion a fair amount. Looking forward to Skyrim and I think I might try Morrowind with some mods if it ever goes on sale on Steam.

The unrealistic/unresponsive AI in TESIV was so noticable lol. Like there was this one sidequest where you had to save this lizard merchant's daughter from a bunch of bandits (Hackdirt?). I mistarget a single attack on her(an ally) because we've gotten into this enormous shitpile of a battle with the bandits chasing us, and she DOESN'T STOP ATTACKING ME NO MATTER WHAT.
somebody never learned how to yield

Does any one play the Elder Scrolls games? IE. Morrowind Oblivion etc.
Do any of you want Skyrim? I for one love all the games what are your thoughts on them?
Yes yes yes to all questions :)

Oblivion was one of my first games I played on the current round of home console systems and 0_0 it was amazing. I still come back to it sometimes. (At one time Bethesda's website was giving away Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall but I couldn't get it to play on my PC :( )

I bought an Xbox Morrowind disc but couldn't play it on my 360. I thought about buying an original Xbox just to play it but decided to wait, and sure enough eventually my 360 konked out, without a warranty this time, so I bought the new-model 360 and :justin: it was able to play Morrowind. It was worth the wait and effort; I enjoyed Morrowind a lot too. I loved having a character that could bound from mountaintop to mountaintop.

I am intentionally remaining oblivious to the details of Skyrim. I don't want to spoil anything about it.

If you don't want to play Skyrim, you aren't a gamer.

I started late with Elder Scrolls with Oblivion but that game is still my favorite RPG of all time and I'm predicting that it will only be topped in the near future by Skyrim.

And Bethesda is my favorite video game producer or what have you because they aren't total whores like Activision. They put incredible amounts of effort into their games and by doing so they make the best games.

I already pre-ordered MW3, because I'm that much of a slave to FPS right now that I'm willing to pre-order a game before I even know it's features. I'll probably get it. I liked Oblivian but honestly, the goddamn gates got fucking old, really fucking fast. Like, I got that they were pretty much _the_ main plot of the game, but for fucks sake, how goddamn many of them are there? So I kinda got sick of that (having your own house was pretty goddamn cool too, not sure if you had a house in Morrowind, I didn't really know what I was doing in Morrowind and just robbed motherfuckers, crazy lockpick skills [which reminds me I liked Oblivions LP system more than Morrowinds]). But anyway, I need to decide which one I like more first. I pretty much only focus on one video game at a time, usually whatever the current Call of Duty is or some sports game because I kind of am a little poor so I don't spend a lot of money on games and just wait for the big titles. So far MW3 is my one game, but I might shell out the 60 bucks for Skyrim. ES games are crazy fun and I absolutely love them because I can do, literally, whatever the hell I want for the storyline.

I just hate the fucking leveling systems they have, like apparently everyone else in the known universe.

^ The gates and the entire main story quests are my least favorite parts of Oblivion.

For me, visiting tons of places and beating stuff up in those places are some of my favorite parts. Heck, in my current (very stalled) playthrough I have done none of the main story stuff, I very quickly became a vampire on purpose, and I am trying to cure my vampirism without any (Internet) help. I am trying to collect five Grand Soul Gems, and so far I have ... one :S I will probably never cure my vampirism, but for me looking for soul gems is at least as fun as the main story.

Strangely, in Oblivion I do so badly at leveling up that I have to turn the difficulty level to a very easy setting by about level 15, but in Morrowind I easily cruised to and past level 50 and the battling was too easy. In both cases I play as a melee fighter who uses swords. I have no idea why the two games go so differently for me.

my main gripe in oblivion is (to my knowledge) you can't fly. dammit if i want to float around like a pretty butterfly with whatever dumb hat i stole from some dude's house why can't i ????

the rest of my dislike for oblivion stems from things already mentioned, such as the weird leveling enemies system and how the game feels much less like a sandbox. i did enjoy the thieves' guild quests, though. oh ! and persuasion was pretty fun in oblivion. maybe i'm just lazy and don't want to re-learn where all the cool stuff is in oblivion. the little things helped, too, such as the dark blue elves (iirc) shouting DIE, NWAH whenever i'd have to fight one.

still hoping skyrim owns though, fingers crossed !

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Ooh the ES series is pretty damn fun. I got hooked on Morrowind (although I cheated on most of my runs because I liked spamming costly magic spells) and Oblivion after that came out.

I hope the NPCs in Skyrim are as zany as ever.
"SPIT IT OUT OR HIT THE ROAD!" ~ Classic

Did you guys see Harry Patridges Skyrim video?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9eGtyqz4gY

firecape

This is the end...
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
i'm interested in skyrim but not overly enthused. i've had an issue with the ES levelling system since i first started playing. yes, it "makes sense" but it's so tedious and open to abuse that it cheapens the game. i'd much rather see fallout 3-style levelling, with a standard XP system. basically i want skyrim to be fallout 3 except like 1000 years earlier
I actually like the leveling system in Oblivion a lot more than Fallout. I really hate that in Fallout you can only increase skills by leveling and can't increase it by using said skill. This gave Oblivion much more replay value and time for me. This meant I could get 100 in all skills (I actually have a character with all 100s) without having to worry about only being able to max out 7 (or whatever) stats.

What I liked about morrowind, is it had a real sandbox feel. Like that if I had the knowledge I could just walk to the endgame and win it at any time, whereas oblivion seemed to be dragging me by the ear through the game.
Obviously not the way you are talking about it, but try paintbrushes >:)

I also like how the creatures level with you in these types of games. The way I usually play after my first play through is I power level in the beginning then start questing and the like when I have decent stats and armor. Enemies leveling with you lets me do this without worrying about killing everything with the swing of a rusty iron longsword, and still have some-what of a "challenge."

I fucking love Oblivion. I've played through the story a tiny bit, but my favorite thing to do are the sidequests. Being in the thieves guild was awesome...I love stealthing around and one-shotting things. :) I think I had just started doing the Dark Brotherhood quests, but didn't finish them for some reason...I really need to do them so I can get that awesome horse. XD
Ugh, really looking forward to Skyrim, gonna be awesome. c:

I actually like the leveling system in Oblivion a lot more than Fallout. I really hate that in Fallout you can only increase skills by leveling and can't increase it by using said skill. This gave Oblivion much more replay value and time for me. This meant I could get 100 in all skills (I actually have a character with all 100s) without having to worry about only being able to max out 7 (or whatever) stats.
The thing is, in oblivion you could fuck yourself over completely if you leveled 'wrong', as the monsters would become much stronger than you, while you haven't advanced much in terms of stats. I think a mixture of both would be ideal, where you get experience points which are used for leveling up, but the only way to train your skills would be by using them.

Hipmonlee

Have a nice day
is a Community Contributoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
All I think needs to happen is games need to stop levelling you up so much.

For instance instead of starting with 1-10 hp and gaining 1-10 hp every time you gain a level, start with 100 hp and gain 1-10 hp every time you gain a level (I dont remember how stats work in ES, this is just based on most RPGs). This way you dont find yourself ten times as strong as you were by level ten. By level ten you will be about half as strong as you were to start with, so the monsters you met at level one will still be a threat so long as you meet maybe one and a half times as many (though actually even less than that since presumably all your other stats will have increased by just as much, so you will probably pretty strong).

If you want to make enemies level up with you do it subtly. Make things appear in greater numbers or something, or make them increase in power, but not at the same rate the character is levelling.

This is one of the fundamentals of RPGs. You reward people for continuing to play by making them more powerful, except in ES this reward just doesnt exist.

Have a nice day.

Ah, the Elder Scrolls. Got hooked on Morrowind back in the day; I'm a Sony fan, but I had bought an Xbox for the sole purpsoe of playing Morrowind. That game was incredible, though it froze a lot more than I liked. Morrowind definitely did have more diversity, and although Levitate was a cheesy spell, it was one of my favorite things about the game. And those enemies were no joke, lol.

I won't lie, I loved Oblivion as well. The graphics were marvelous at times, and Black Soul Gems were fun, as well as those random Alchemy ingredients. However.....it was too easy to become invincible. I tend to run pure Magic classes, and my custom character reflects all physical damage and absorbs most or all magic. Now I just run into crowds and make people attack me just to watch them die...the levelling system was also incredibly flawed. If you chose the "wrong" major skills, you might find yourself running around with a Khajiit archer who had to flee from Ogres and shit because all you had was a Silver Bow and Leather Armor, lol.

HOWEVER, that's also one of the most fun things about Oblivion, imo; you can make the game seem like loads more fun just by putting yourself at a disadvantage. And sometimes those disadvantages make you think of alternate stragies. For example, I decided to use a female Atronach-birthsign Altmer, and she is ridiculously flimsy. So I decided I'd use her as a regular mage, except (since she couldn't hold too much) I carried a ton of enchanted daggers, and relied on her swift attacks to fell enemies (and an Absorb Health Dagger + Azura's Star = gg). So I think, in that way, Oblivion had more versatility. Then again, making spells that require more Magicka than the game allows was annoying, eagle-eyed NPCs are a pain, and introducing Ghosts before you can get a silver or enchanted weapon is bullshit, but meh.

Hopefully Skyrim will rectify Oblivion's errors. I do like that
Mysticism is no longer a magic class. It really was stupid not to put those spells into other categories. Also, FUCK YEAH DUAL WIELD! Honestly, that may make me shy away from a mage build and go for a rogue. That Dragon Shout thing seems...odd...but maybe it'll be cool? At least dragons attacking cities will be good; no video game with an open city (from the top) should be impenetrable
. Haha I wonder what giant oddity we'll get this time around (like the Nirnroot in Oblivion, and Morrowind's Mudcrab).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)