how you've grown

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Alright after seeing everyone else's incredible posts it's time to post my story I've decided. Know that opening up like this is something I rarely do. Also know that at the current time of typing this, my life is awesome and has been for years. It wasn't always like this though.

I was always told that I was a gifted child at school, with a photographic memory. In preschool, I could remember everyones colour cup and whether they were left handed or right handed and in Kindergarten I was reading books like Goosebumps that were over 100 pages and bringing in the stock pages of the newspaper for Show and Tell (pointing out how my dad had Telstra shares and explaining that they were down, which was really bad). I was really good at Maths as well; in year two I was asked to do the Year 4 Maths Competition (as well as Science and English) and just generally grasped concepts much faster then the average student. However, I was below average with my coordination and sports. In Preschool or Kindy (I don't remember), I was told that I had low muscle tone which essentially drastically affected my handwriting, hand-eye coordination and ability to run. Apparently it is supposed to afflict you for the rest of your life, but because all my best friends were crazy into sport I ended up persevering and becoming athletically competent - making it into state for Cross Country and district for 100 and 200 m. I got teased mildly in primary school but it was nothing really concerning - it was more joking with friends then anything. I was really sensitive when I was younger though, so I guess it affected me a little bit. I experienced my first family death on November 27th 1998 as a Year One student, my grandma passing away. I have only small memories of her as of now, but I do remember she loved me with all her heart. I was too young to really understand what loss was though, so even though I really wish I got to know her as I grew up and for her to see the man I am today, I can see the silver lining in having lost her when it hurt the least (as opposed to say as a 15 year old teenager when hormones are going crazy). All in all though, I remember my primary school days very fondly. I was brought up my parents to be really nice (too nice...) and kind to everyone, and to this day I still find it hard to hold grudges for an extended period. I was very talkative and being the smartest boy in my school, I loved helping people with school work both because I genuinely liked helping people and because I liked people thinking I was smart. I picked up basketball in year 3 because I was inspired by the movie Space Jam and by my 3rd season I ended up winning the MVP and making Division 1 in my first season of graded basketball - a streak of years in division one that would last for 8 years until politics got in the way. Anyway I went to an all boys school in year 6 that goes all the way from year 4 to year 12 (with a different campus for high school - 7th grade and beyond), and whilst I was only ranked sixth in that school academically I enjoyed my year from what I remember. However, there was the odd bullying incident that took place here and whilst it wasn't too bad it helped lay a foundation for many hard years to come. To this day I still don't know exactly why I was bullied so fiercely, part of it probably came from my extreme talkativeness, another part might have come from speaking my mind (a tendency that started in year six that never really existed at my olds chool) and the formation of an ego when it came to stuff that I was good at (Basketball, Cross Country, School). Nevertheless, while there are still some very fond memories I possess at high school, there were stages where I'd just come home and cry or feel like crying. The worst part was that whilst I did have some friends there, the group that I hung out in (a group of 20 boys or so) also had some people who hated me so it was a double edged sword - I could either choose to be alone during the days or spend time with my best friends whilst having to cop shit from the bullies most days. I used to just be silent and take it, but as I got older I started to fight back with comebacks of my own - which sometimes rattled them but always made their hatred and determination more intense. I was never really physically assaulted: and the few times I was, I ended up getting out of it with my words and the friends that I did have made sure that it wouldn't happen. It's a shame that they didn't stand up for me when it came to verbal bullying though, even now they say that they were too intimidated to stand up to boys who were their friends and feel really bad about it. Meanwhile, whilst I wasn't ever a straight A's student - I was still a recipient of an Academic award the majority of semesters (that's at least 7 A's and 2 B's - no C's are allowed) with absolutely zero study/effort. I was also excelling at basketball, in year nine I ended up making the nationals squad and had a very good tournament despite my team getting belted/losing to the bigger states most games. I truly felt I belonged with the basketball boys and was never bullied there, and whilst I didn't make enough of an effort to hang out outside of school with them even now I'm still friends with a lot of them. Some of them have gone on to do bigger and better things, I still resent the fact that I'm stuck at 6'0'' with shoes and a lot of them are now 6'5'' + - I firmly believe that if I was given their height that I could have had a successful basketball career at a national level (Australia I know....but still!). We ended up winning the Under 16's state championship, with my school team being so stacked that we were actually better then the state team. In the Grand Final I ended up scoring 16 points on 8/8 shooting from the field, and to this day this is still one of the fondest memories of my entire life. I was always told I was decent looking, and whilst that didn't exactly mean shit at an all boys school it meant that I did pretty well with talking to girls - and got my first kiss in year ten and my first girlfriend in year 11. I was friends with a fuckload of girls because I got on with them really well, but I was always friend zoned because as I mentioned earlier - I was too nice. I was brought up to believe that if you just be yourself and dote on girls that they would love you for it, and it took years of fucking up and having ridiculously hot friends who ended up dating jackasses for me to learn otherwise. Looking back on me back then, the expresison "Getting lucky" was never more evident - I'd get girls who either thought I was really hot and got to know my personality later or I'd say the right things without knowing what pushed a girls buttons and end up getting their interest anyway. My extra corricular areas of life and my academic life were looking good, but my school life was still generally a miserable one. I was bullied so terribly that a few boys who were witnesses told me at a later date that they would have definitely considered suicide if they were in my position it was that bad. I never really once thought about it as a serious option, occasionally the thoughts of "I wonder if everyone would miss me/feel bad for what they've done to me" would pop into my head but that's as far as it would get. I am so thankful for the combination of my "let everything go" personality and my parents instilling in me those values, because without them who knows what would have happened. To this day, I've never even tried an illicit drug (a monumental achievement for a "Raver", although I'm not saying this will never ever change in the future) and only smoked a few times in my life. Alcohol is another story but I'll get to that haha. The bullying got so bad at the start of the year 11, that between that and my parents wanting me to do the HSC I ended up getting moved to a different all boys school. A highlight of the move initially was that in my very last basketball game for my old school, with 5 players available for the game as opposed to the other teams 10, I ended up scoring 12 fourth quarter points and a game winning floater with 2 seconds left against our biggest rival. At the time my teammates had no idea I was moving but I knew I was so I really wanted to win that more then anything at that stage. There were positives and negatives to the move. One major positive is that only then did the boys from my old school realise what they'd done to me (especially the ones in my friend group) and they all felt extremely guilty and vowed to make amends. After a few years apart I am actually good friends with the vast majority of them, and for this I am extremely thankful. This didn't actually happen though until some stage in Year 12, so it took some time. Also, there are still a couple of boys that dislike me but on the whole it turned out well. On the downside, it turns out that my school I moved to is one of the big rival schools of my old school. Even though I toned down the characteristics that I believe that I got bullied for at my old school, a combination of them coupled with the fact that I went to the aforementioned rival school led to the bullying eventually being worse then ever. The difference was that at my new school, my friends that I made there actually actively stood up for me and I had more of them. Both academically and sporting wise I started to slip badly though. The former because the formula of putting in no effort and succeeding in a predominantly assignment based system didn't exactly fly all too well at an exam based system-school. The latter was because I wasn't in the division one coach's circle of trust he built up over years, which meant I was subject to the terrible coaching of division two; hereby leading to a relative slip in my overall game. Part of the blame for allowing that slip is definitely on me but I feel that coaching has a lot more of an impact on you then people think. Year 11 was when I started going to parties more too, although at this stage they were only occasional they opened up a whole new world of fun and underage drinking for me. I also had one of the main roles in an adaptation of Shakespeares "A Midsummer Night's Dream", playing Lysander. There was actually a lot of star power in this play, one of the girls in the production has actually gone on to have a main role in the Australian soap Home and Away and to this day I still occasionally keep in touch with her and see her. We ended up getting nominated for an ACT actors award but ultimately fell short. I had a passion for drama throughout high school and am still very good at improv but in the end, my self-awareness and self-consciousness that came about from being bullied prevented me from being on the same level as the other actors in my opinion so I decided to stop. Year 12 was a very mixed bag for me, I ended up making a lot more friends but the enemies were also more vocal. I started going to a lot of parties and started drinking underage at them (I turned 18 the year after). I had consumed alcohol before this, but this was the first time that it happened on a semi-regular basis. I am not an alcoholic because I don't ever drink when I'm not partying, even at dinners and functions when it's readily available and free. However, I love getting tipsy because it makes you lose enough self awareness to be able to enjoy yourself but you aren't inebriated enough to look like a total idiot. My parents weren't really happy with this but mum especially understood why I felt this way and permitted me to have one or two over the duration of a night (although of course I always had a few more; one or two didn't even get me tipsy). I went to underage dance parties even though I absolutely hated dancing just for the social aspect, and I was first given the self confidence to dance by a girl called Megan who went to our sister school. She was smoking hot and randomly came up and got me to dirty dance with her. I probably would have gone for the kiss if my mate didn't warn me that she had a boyfriend, and a massive one at that :toast:. This was also the year I lost my virginity and started hooking up with girls at said parties occasionally. The bullies were never far away though, and I can't even imagine the number of girls and people they managed to turn against me (just my luck to make enemies with the "popular jocks"). As for grades, well I studied less and less as the work got more important. I didn't even study for some of my big final HSC exams. How I ended up getting an ATAR of 84 is fucking beyond me, I probably deserved one in the 50's or 60's with the amount of work I put in. I wish I learnt how to study from a young age, as I am writing this now I am putting off study for my uni exams because I literally don't know how to focus unless its a few nights before. As for my personality, this is when I started being less nice/pathetic to girls in general. Of course if I was really attracted to them I'd end up resorting to my old ways, which is why I could occasionally hook up at parties but I didn't have a girlfriend. This post is already tl;dr so I'll cut my final year of high school short and move on to university. I enrolled in IT at the ANU and my last year and a half of my life have had a huge impact in shaping the current me. During O week (pretty much the week before uni where there are a lot of parties/pissups) of my first year I wasn't 18 yet for a few weeks, which meant that I was technically unable to get into official events. Note how I said technically, I ended up elaborate tricking the security guards without a fake ID during EuroTrash night to let me in to the closed off area. That night signified the start of many things. For starters, I hooked up with a 6'2'' 22 year old model (who a few weeks later found out my age and was horrified haha), which ended up initializing a big change in the way I was with women. I finally knew the game, I knew how to flirt and I knew how to pick up. I learnt tricks from my years of striking out with the girls I wanted most to make sure that if I ever did end up in the friend zone, it was on my own terms. I still get a bit flustered when it comes to picking up girls who remember me as a tool when I was younger (not so much friends from the past), or girls in large bitchy groups but I am working on that. The other thing it changed, which was even more important was all due to a Canberra based DJ duo called the Aston Shuffle. These guys were number one in Australia and world famous, and seeing them rip up the decks in front of a monstrous crowd inspired me to by my own for fun (which I will come back to later). When I became 18 a few weeks later, my whole world changed. I went clubbing regularly, had the confidence to dance a lot (with the help from a little alcohol) and better still, people at uni were devoid of that school yard pettiness that is present in high school, so I was making friends at a rapid rate. At this stage, friends from my first high school started reappearing for the better in my life, with some of them being bullies from the past even. As a social person, I am a very good networker and so when I got an opportunity to run the guest list at the biggest nightclub in the city due to a friend's absence; I had to take it with both hands. At this stage my popularity really took off. The guest list was non exclusive, so it wasn't like people who asked me to be on it just sucked up and were nice to me so they could do it. It just meant that I ended up talking to a lot of people, and made even more friends and even more networks. As of this post, I am now a permanent promoter for the night club and various organisations and I have over 1620 facebook friends - having met about 95 % in real life at least. Meanwhile, back on the topic of my Djing, I was practising a little at home after purchasing my decks and even though I was struggling a lot I still had a lot of fun doing it. For my 18th, I hired one of the most famous DJ's in Canberra and didn't hesitate in picking his brains whenever I could. After an awesome night (where I made out with and potentially fucked a really hot blonde girl who happened to have a boyfriend in the toilets, without actually remembering anything beyond the first kiss) where I passed out by 9 pm in the first and second last time I have been ridiculously drunk, the DJ saw the potential and the passion I had for music and asked me to form a duo with him. I had barely played at this stage, but my intention was to learn from someone already firmly entrenched in the club scene and make good contacts along the way. I ended up getting to play at a few clubs with him and even though I didn't do much at all, the learning experience was awesome for me. I am also friends with a few famous and semi famous DJ's as a result and because of this I am in a much better position to succeed with my own career. My results for uni have been a mixed bag, I was offered to do honours in Philosophy because of outstanding results in my course but I also failed a unit for the first time in my life (top level Maths). I then realised that I am still smart regardless of how pedestrian my school marks ended up (for me anyway), and that with effort I can one day become elite academically again. I just need to find motivation for studying as I said earlier, because if I hate a subject I won't study for it. Fast forward to this year now. I had a relationship but I broke it off after a few months because she was too clingy and didn't give me enough space. I was already bad with committment as it was but now as a result I am a full fledged commitaphone. I have been getting laid like crazy, and hooking up pretty much any weekend I have decided to. I can't yet hook up with EVERY girl I desire, and I still get nervous sometimes but I am getting better and better all the time. I did get hurt badly by a girl last year, and that experience has made me more cynical and blunt for the better. I am still nice, but I have this edge about me now that makes me less of a pushover and much more attractive to girls. I now get to choose whether I want to date a girl or not as opposed to sweating on her decision and opinion of me, waiting on their approval. It has gotten to the stage where even the girl who hurt me is flirting with me again without me having talked to her first!
....random chat beforehand showing her my Music
11:00 am - Me
lol really? send a photo of the New Years photo to my phone so I can see it!

11:00am - Liz

naww love it luca

haha i will i will

it such a cute pic of us but
you look so hot in it

My DJing has gotten to the point where I'm getting solo gigs, and I've even entered a mix in an Australia wide competition that I had an interview for called YourShot (which can be found here http://soundcloud.com/3verest/3verest-yourshot-trance-mix). I still have a fuckload to learn but my improvement over the space of a year has been remarkable, and this is off only basic software. I still need to learn to transition dubstep and hip-hop more smoothly, as well as be confident on other people's equipment for occasions where I can't bring mine but I'm happy with my progress thus far. I'm enrolled in the Ministry of Sound DJ Academy in July, and one of the guys who helps run it (Chris Fraser, who I befriended at the DJing comp) told me how it can be a fast track to getting discovered so fingers crossed - and at the very least I hope that it gives me the necessary skills that I am deficient in to further excel in my future endeavours. Whilst I've never reached my dizzying heights of basketball again, I did make the firsts team for uni games as the youngest player in the squad and ended up having a mixed bag at the Games - having a few terrible games but also one game where I was downright dominant against the 3rd best university in Eastern Australia! I got invited to the National Uni Games in perth but I couldn't afford the ridiculous cost so I had to decline. This year I got into the seconds team for the Eastern games but I declined due to a lack of funds and because I wanted to work on my shot so that it was good enough to make firsts at Nationals. I'm captain of the seconds team at the uni and while we aren't in an elite competition, it is competitive and I'm going to do everything in my power to get up to the level I used to be at again. It means that I can't play AFL or American Football because I'm too busy but I have to sacrifice something. I've also been going to the gym for the last seven months and have gone from dumbell bench pressing 10 kg's or so in each arm on a flat bench to nearly 30. I have a long way to go with my body but once again, the improvement from doey and untoned to near six pack and relatively buff is awesome! Aside from DJing and promoting for the night club, I also work at David Jones in retail and for the IT department of the Research School of Economics at the ANU. The retail job fucking sucks but it has secure hours and ok money. The IT job is relatively new, and I acquired it because of a contact in my basketball team (life is about who you know just as much as it's about what you know). I loathed my degree until then but this job has been really enjoyable surprisingly. I found that I like doing HTML, CSS, MySQL and Systems Analysis but fucking hate hardcore coding like Java etc (which are the strengths of my work partner thank fuck). This gives me hope that if my DJing falls through that I'll still be happy! I could never have seen myself in an office job because I am too much of a free spirit but I'm now actually excited for what life after uni holds for me. The bullying feels like it was another life time away now. My past experiences have taught me to always treat others with respect and to hold a great deal of empathy for those who are being treated poorly - standing up for them if I feel injustice is being served. In a way I am also thankful for having been bullied, it has made me a ridiculously resilient individual who (contrary to my online persona after I am haxed or my persona on the basketball court where I show a lot of emotion) is often level headed and unphazed by anything. I wish I didn't have to go through the pain that I did to achieve this, but I feel that it has made me able to cope with rejection, failure and disappointment much better then I otherwise would have. I wouldn't trade anything in the world for those skills. There is so much I could have said, but this was already a mammoth post anyway so if you managed to read it all somehow I really appreciate it. Life is fucking awesome for me now :pimp: and even though I haven't had to go through half the shit that some of you have faced (and still are facing) in your lives, I hope it shows you that with a positive attitude, a smile on your face and seizing the opportunities that are thrown to you and learning from your fuckups and hardships that we can all strive for greater things. I'm not on my high horse or anything because I know I haven't achieved anything amazing yet, but I do know I am well on the path, always making progress wherever I go and living life to the fullest :).

Always nice to hear about child prodigies with dodgy lives! :P This thread is so good! ivar wasn't expecting this to actually go anwhere, I don't think. Stallion, your story is really charming (overachieving AND sporty? if only I could claim the latter T_T) and I lol'd at the bit about 'getting girls'. ^^

I'm growing a lot less sure of myself, I guess.

I turned 17 a month ago, and my first year at my Community College has just ended. I was homeschooled for my entire middle and highschool years, and I met the HS credit requirements to get into CC early. My first semester, I took on 14 credit hours and got a 3.5 GPA. Then, I took on 17 credits the second semester and came out with a 2.3 -- failing an online Sociology course, of all things.

It might not seem that bad, especially with the awesome head start opportunity that I do have, but it's gotten me to question what kind of life I want to live, and how I should go about doing it. Right now I feel really unprepared to go to summer school to make up the credits, but my parents want me to. I feel burned out from college already; I was looking forward to a school-free summer.

I feel like the homeschooling I received was terrible preparation for college, in some aspects. Due dates were really not that strict for high school, and there obviously was not any proper lab equipment for science classes. I can write papers that I'm proud of, but I still do read and write incredibly slow compared to the few classmates that I've managed to establish interaction with. My Dad says that the bad GPAs should tell me I need to work harder -- including the 3.5. He's screaming mad at me every other day about it, even on my few free weeks of summer vacation before summer school starts, and it's getting tiring. I gave up sleep studying and writing the last few weeks, and it didn't get me anywhere. I'm feeling pushed to make a decision about the rest of my life. For the first time since I was 13, I'm considering finding a field other than Psychology. I wanted to look for a summer dayjob before I found out I needed to make up credits. Maybe early college period was a bad idea, and I should just withdraw and get a full-time job until I'm 18. If I continue with college, I think I should get help about my reading/studying problems. I'd feel kind of inadequate or whiny coming to my parents about it, though, partly because of the brain they're convinced I was born with (because of grade school performance, haha).

So yeah, I'm a lucky person in a lot of ways, but heavy decisions.

Cooky

Banned deucer.
this thread is like an episode of skins but in a good way, something i thought wouldd always be an oxymoron. where are my popcorn and tissues goddamit

So yeah, this is obviously a pretty cool thread so might as well pitch in. I've thought of posting in this thread a few times but always decided against it cause I didn't feel like I'd put the effort into it, and so why bother? But I don't have anything to do and am feeling a bit....can't actually think of the word I want so I'll say gung-ho.

As a young kid, I was always a pretty happy little guy. Spend a lot of time at my grandma's house because both of my parents worked, so my early years were spent playing board games with her(who else loved playing Yahtzee?) and helping her clean cause I liked helping her and always having lunch while we watched The Price is Right at eleven. My grandparents have about an acre of land so their yard is pretty big and there were always lots of things to do outside. When Kindergarten came around, I went to school from her house(parents still worked and she lived in same district as our house), so grandma was still big in my life and boy was coming home to her dinner and watching the kids shows at 3 a fun thing. I was very good academically, already knowing how to count to 100 and do subtraction/addition with numbers in that range by kindergarten. My love for math was actually started by Yahtzee of all things, adding up the score at the end is when we realized I could add numbers very quickly, and as a young child I can remember going shopping with my mother and pestering her the whole time to give me numbers to add up, heh.

On my first day of kindergarten I sat down and immediately was asked by a kid if I wanted to be friends, and being the happy little guy I was I obliged. That kid is my best friend today, in my senior year of high school. Crazy how things like that can happen. So yeah, don't remember much else of my early years in school, in 2nd grade I was moved into 4th grade level math, but unfortunately the school i went to wasn't really the greatest so 'being moved into 4th grade math' meant sitting in a table in the back and being given papers to do. After awhile I was told this was too much trouble and that I'd just have to be bored during math class...

In third grade my parents got divorced, but quite frankly this has never bothered me much. For as long as I can remember, they've never even slept in the same room, so they were really only married for as long as they were because of me. Some kids speak of how much a divorce troubled them, but yeah it really just didn't affect me at all.

I was never a trouble child in elementary school, I was raised to be very nice by my parents. Too nice, unfortunately, but yeah. I remember actually crying for getting into trouble for being too loud in class and missing like half of recess, I was just so afraid of being in trouble and all, but yeah kinda funny thinking of that. As mentioned I did very well academically, and as far as sports I loved those as well. I was more mature than the average kid my age I believe, and so yeah in general my days in elementary school were pretty easy and awesome, I was generally good at everything and I was never the most popular kid but never wanted to be, don't really recall having trouble being picked on so yeah clear skies.

Attended middle school in 6th grade, math teacher noticed I rocked and sometimes gave me harder stuff to do, so I was still ahead of the pack in math at those times. I pretty much only have fond memories of 6th grade, I was a nice, happy, positive kid who liked most people and was liked by most of his teachers. At the end of 6th grade however I moved to a different school district, with my mom finally able to sell the old house and move out. School District I went to was better, and lucky for me started Junior High in 7th grade, so even though I didn't know anyone, everyone was still meeting lots of new people and no one even knew I was technically a 'new kid'. New school put me in the lower level math class with out ever testing me, so for half a year I learned absolutely nothing as my old school had already taught us this stuff, finally second half of 7th grade they moved me up, my parents were pretty pissed obviously but yeah. I was in band class, and that was pretty fun. Kinda hard to remember when I met all my friends, but definitely a few of my current friendships were started way back in 7th grade.

At this point I’m going to kind of switch up format, cause I don’t think my current rambling style is going to work as well.

8th Grade/High School Academic stuffs:
At the end of 8th grade I got accepted into MST, which was an advanced program for kids in our district, focusing on math, science, and technology. Top 75 kids who tested got into it, so making this was a pretty big deal as a ton tried out for it. In 9th grade I went to a different location for half the day where I took MST classes with kids from all the other Junior Highs who had made it in, then went back to homeschool for rest of my classes. MST was totally better than my homeschool, the kids there were obviously all smart, and in general just a lot more like myself, less people being dicks etc.

MST has been very fun overall, the classes are hard as hell though and this has unfortunately shot my GPA. I’m smart, but not particularly motivated unless something really interests me. School is not one of those things, and so yeah(procrastinators unite!). At my home school though I easily get A’s and B’s, the classes are just much easier.
I kept up A’s and B’s in MST for 9th and 10th grade, but in 11th I ran into troubles and ended up with a D in math. Senior year I’ve got B’s and C’s, though at times my grades drop into D/F, I just don’t put the effort in :/ Kinda sad that I’ve grown to hate math, this high level stuff just isn’t my thing. I’ve got some of the worst grades in the class, though I find it funny that a couple of times me and a friend have had a little competition to see who does better on a test, I actually try and end up getting a solid A(and even over 100% one time). I’ll admit I totally think that if I had tried the whole time, I’d be seen as one of the smartest kids there, like I said when I put in the effort I can pull off some impressive stuff. That said I wonder if not trying has been a way to not test myself? As in if I tried and wasn’t one of the best then there ya go, but if I don’t try I could still be one of the smartest? Honestly this probably isn’t really it, I probably just made it up as some sort of self doubt thing lol.

Searching for college hasn’t really been that fun. My GPA is only a 3.2, which is far from outstanding, but my ACT score is a 32, which is a very good score and something I’m proud of. I can get into a lot of schools, but cause of the GPA I get little to no scholarships which is a problem cause I need those lol. I ended up getting rejected by U of M, which was…probably my first choice though I’ve always been conflicted where to go cause I want to play soccer. But from an academic standpoint U of M was my #1 school, and because of the GPA/low grades in math class I ended up being declined in April. Not getting into U of M bothered me more than I thought it would, it’s so annoying seeing a bunch of people who I know I’m smarter than get into it. My best friend, who I haven’t been in school with since 6th grade, is going to U of M and had I gotten in we would have roomed together and yeah, didn’t realize how much I wanted this option till it was taken away from me. In all honestly I feel like a bit of a fuck up for the whole mess, there’s just so much wrong with it all for fuck’s sake I could totally manage it at U of M, but gpa/bullshit and yeah, I’ll be going to either a local college or community college, either way it pisses me off a lot.

Soccer:
I started playing soccer at around 5 I think, either way I’ve played for a long time. I was fairly good, playing on one of the better travel teams in my area. I was a very small kid, but I was fast and could dribble well and finish so fun times scoring goals. When I was 12 I tried out for ODP and made it, for those who don't know what ODP is which is probably the vast majority of people, it's a separate little program where you can get put in state/regional/national pools etc, it's not easy to make so pretty yeah this just meant I was good lol. I ended up being the last kid cut to go to regionals, which was pretty disappointing considering I knew that the pressure had gotten to me and that I could have definitely made it. After that year all the kids grew like monsters while I stayed small and suddenly became slow in comparison, didn't make ODP after that as I simply wasn't good enough, though I still played at club level.

Played club level, but was physically smaller than everyone and behind them, I was still good technically but yeah really from like 13-16 I just played cause that’s what I did, I liked it but it wasn’t a passion, I was a competitive person so yeah. Sometime-ish when I was 15 or 16, I realized that it bothered me that I’d never made that regional cut way back, and that soccer really was fun, and decided to get serious about the sport. Started working out with what equipment I had, started running, etc. I tried out for ODP and, after a fuckton of effort, made the first cut again! Pretty awesome feeling. Later in the summer my high school season was getting started, but unfortunately, shit hits the fan at this point. In my 11th grade year, after making the first cut of ODP which is a level way-fucking higher than high school varsity, I failed to make my high school varsity team due to politics. I’m not a rash person, but the bullshit here was so extreme that I moved schools so that I could play on a different team my senior year. Lost my junior year cause of some rule about not being able to play the first semester you switch schools. I was pissed as fuck in general, and worked like no other to get better and better for my senior year. Unfortunately, my new team was…..less talented. My old one was the best in the division and went on to win regionals, my team? We won 3 games. Out of 17. I scored 9 goals my senior year which is not an impressive haul, though when you take into account the fact that the entire goal tally for my team was 21 it becomes a little more clear why it was so low. I won awards at the end of the season, but I don’t remember which they were because I was so pissed and honestly prefer to forget them. Had I been on a better team I’d have easily gotten much more recognition, 2 players from my old high school team that were as good as I made all-state.

As for my hopes of playing soccer in college, they’re…in limbo. I’ve broken 3 bones in life, all of them in the past year, all from soccer. Broke my foot in January, which had me out till April. So when I should have been contacting coaches asking them to come watch me, I was instead too busy being broken :[ I’ll be attempting to walk onto a D1 team in July, which I know I can do, but that’s only if I can get a solid chunk of consistent play. Since coming back in April I’ve had recurring problems with the foot, and as of writing I’ve missed the last week of soccer because of it.

Girls/relationships:
In 8th grade I had my first genuine crush, it's so funny remembering those days, she liked me back and we'd talk a lot and she'd blush sometimes, such innocent days ya'know? Didn't ask her out till 9th grade cause it wasn't till later on in the year that we liked each other and I wasn't sure how I'd see her in the summer or if we'd be in the same classes 9th grade and plus the real reason is I just didn't have the balls, I was a nice/shy kid how was I supposed to know what to do?

The aforementioned crush and I went out early in 9th grade, she was also in MST so that was pretty cool. Only real problem was how comically out of depth I was. We went out for ~3 months, but really it was hardly that. Never saw each other outside of school, didn't hug for a lot of it, never kissed, we liked each other a ton but I just had no clue what to do, and neither of us really knew how to actually communicate so we did this awkward dance for awhile and things just went downhill and whatnot. Still, I do remember how she blushed after we held hands on the bus for the first time(after like 2 months lol) so that's a nice memory to have at least. Despite my complete and utter lack of understanding what to do with her, I was pretty bummed when she broke up with me.

Life goes on though yada yada, went out with a girl in 10th grade, but we had been friends for awhile before and it ended up being too weird for her. I was considerably less crushed by this break up than my first as I wasn’t nearly as into this girl as the first, and we stayed good friends for the rest of the year. I had some really great conversations with this girl over the internet throughout the year, in a lot of ways she proved to be my closest friend in 10th grade. She wasn’t in MST however, and so when I switch schools in 11th grade I had no way to talk with her other than internet and we drifted apart.

Fast forward to senior year, and no girlfriend. I had liked some girls over the years, but wasn’t terribly interested/sure what to do. Friend zoned a few times, I’m really much too nice for my own good, wish I’d cut that crap out. For homecoming, I originally had no date but this was a problem as I was going to end up being the eleventh-wheel in my group of friends, spending the whole night just kinda there is not really fun at all. I was also going to the homecoming for my old school rather than my new one, because most of my friends were from MST and had gone to my old school. At the last minute though I learned that an old friend of mine from junior high and early high school was single and so we ended up going together. At the dance, stuff happened and we made out. So we kept texting and saw each other a few times and ended up going out, we’ve been going out since which is almost 7 months, though the relationship is an odd one. We go to different schools, so we don’t see each other during the normal day, and we’re both busy on weekends and her parents are pretty strict so we can’t even see each other every weekend. She’s not huge on texting and neither am I but I at least wanna talk to her, but after several short 1-2 word responses I give up, so we don’t even talk everyday. That said, when we do see each other, we have a great time. She’s a lot of fun and it’s great to be out and get to show a different side of me. Still, 7 months and we’ve had probably 1 occasion where we talked about real things, feelings and whatnot, I kinda want more out of a relationship. Frankly, I was tired of not having a girlfriend and then there were birthdays and stuff and now there’s Prom that we’ll be going to, I like her but in a different scenario I would have broken up with her sooner. I can’t really say where things’ll go, I don’t feel like we talk enough and I don’t want to place blame but I really do believe she could have made more of an effort, I’m consistently the one who starts conversations and makes plans for us to go out, I feel like if she wanted to see me so badly she would have made it happen. But at the same time I have a genuinely good time when I hang out with her and even though our relationship isn’t as deep as I’d like, it’s not because it couldn’t be. There’s potential for a deeper relationship, it’s just not happened for whatever reason. So I suppose sometime after prom I’ll be speaking up about wishing things were…idk that we were closer or something, and I’ll see what happens from there?

On a different but related note, it’s funny how bad at things you seem when you take a step back. Here I am mr. bigshot with the girlfriend of 7 months, I’m more mature and stuff but at the same time there’s just so much to learn, there always is isn’t there? Ah well..

Outlook/emotional stuff:
I was pretty happy and generally positive and stuff, but in 9/10th grade things went downhill. I had and still do have plenty of friends, but what I lack is a ‘best friend’. I do have a best friend, but he’s home schooled these days and not around. In school, I’m always the odd man out, 3’s company and such. I’m hardly a social butterfly and can be a bit antisocial at times, so I’ve actually come to find that I can be pretty lonely at school for having so many people around me. Not that it was ever ‘diagnosed’ or anything, but just from looking at symptoms and whatnot, I’m fairly certain I was suffering a bit from depression during the latter half of 10th grade. On bus rides I sat alone and stopped even trying to socialize, just listened to my music as I was tired of no one really bothering to keep a conversation with me, they all had someone better to talk to. A little unrelated but though I was depressed, I never considered suicide. I’m positive at the heart of things, and even though my situation sucked, I never thought it had to always suck, it just sucked at the time.

In 11th grade, finally I had a change. As you remember, this is when I changed schools. For one, it was good to have a change of scenery, I needed to be around my old friends less. But really, this is also when I became markedly more pissed off. I was pissed with soccer bullshit, I was pissed with fucking people, I was pissed at being alone and so while all my life I’d been easy going, I let another side of me develop. I decided it was okay to be angry, and I channeled that energy. I focused hard on working out, cause if you’re pissed what better to do than work out? Between things shaking up in life and my general pissed off-ness, I worked my way out of depression. Hardly enamored with the beauties of life, but at least accepting that it could get better.

My senior year, things have gotten better in that I’m in a lot of the same classes as a girl, and we’ve become really close friends. We sit next to and talk to each other, and she’s become my closest friend as the year has moved on. It’s simply so nice to be in an ‘us’ rather than a ‘me’.

So, current day me is a weird mix. I’m still pissed off at life, cause fuck. I’ve also got that positiveness that’s been there all along. I feel like I’ve got a bit of everything in me, and so obviously my feelings for the day can be pretty up and down. I’ve become better at living in the moment and in the right frame of mind I can really love life. I’m not even close to being happy with where I am in life at the moment, but I feel I have the potential to keep growing and accomplish a lot. I didn’t really mention it but I’ve always had great self-confidence, heck I’m actually probably even arrogant even though I go to great lengths to show modesty and no one irl would think of me as arrogant, I do have a pretty high opinion of myself considering I’ve not done as well as I could have at this point.
Still, it’s funny just looking back on where you were and what you thought, I mean shit if I could go back to freshmen year knowing what I do now, goddamn I’d be so fucking great. If you take nothing else from this whole thing take this, no matter where you are stick with it, think of where you were 4 years ago and you realize how much changes, all you gotta do is keep working and believe, fuck the potential is there. It makes me excited to just think of how much I can learn. I mean I feel like hey, I’m pretty good at this thing called life so far but in hindsight, there’s just still so much fucking potential room to grow and learn things and get better, fuck I could be so good at life it makes me happy.

I’m done now, I’ve rambled for so long and I’m so tired now(It’s way late heck it’s early morning I’m sure I’m gonna wake up tomorrow and read this and think what the heck was I thinking) lol. I’m sure reading this clusterfuck of thoughts has been a challenge of it’s own so if you somehow managed the whole thing thanks for that I appreciate it, and so yeah I’m sure I did a horrible job of summing up how I’ve grown and I feel like I’ve still missed stuff and just done terrible in general and also I feel like this conclusion paragraph sucks but what can ya do?

Also I can’t wait to be older and look back on well, how I’ve grown. I’m so interested to see where I’ll be and I imagine I’ll look back at myself and see such incompetence lol, all my angsty musings will make me look like such a teenager I’m sure :P

a post from the op is long overdue, so here i go. i'm not the type to divulge much personal information, but maybe over the course of this post i'll feel inspired to share more than usual.

i feel that i've grown tremendously, and even the me from a month ago is a new person. i'm constantly in flux and can't establish a neat identity for myself, but i think that people aren't movie-type caricatures ('the angry guy' and the 'heroic type' and so forth), hence this ambition to find myself is destined to be unfruitful.

i always run into the problem of questioning my past decisions, lifestyle, mannerisms. i want to change very often, and very often i do--changing my attitude and persona at almost a whim. thats part of the reason i tend to be private. though by all means i tend to be outgoing, i'm generally good with people and especially girls--yet i set boundaries and shroud myself in a lot of mystery. i separate a lot of my friends from each other because i like to be nomadic in terms of who i hang out with--even smogon is kind of like that.

i think this is because i want the freedom to change. my room is not imbued with any personality--it looks almost like it's from an ikea catalog. i have no band posters, no nothing. just a bed, closet, computer and other shit here and there. i don't want to be boxed into a personality or type, and i feel "individuating" my room forces me to act in such a way because it reinforces a "me". but i don't want to be "me"; i don't want to be a static person. this might be because i don't like myself, or i get bored of being so and so or it might be the struggle that all people in their early 20s deal with, but i feel like i'm constantly growing.

in fact, the only thing i can say with certainty about my identity, so to speak, is that it involves change and attempts at growth. how i've grown is that i've realized that growing is all i want to do. if you think about it, the more you grow and change, the more lifetimes you live--just replace the tedium of facebook-stalking with trying new things and being different if you're strapped for time.

anyways, i'm trying to learn how to open up maybe, because i want an actual gf instead of fun flings and i'll probably be expected to talk about myself to others. but i'm highly secretive, even to people who have known me for years or even decades, so we'll see how that works out. plus, i think the mystery adds to my attraction and maybe i'm not quite the player that i think i am without it!

edit: i should add that another way i've grown is that i've stopped being such a bully. usually the net is a safehaven for the victims, but for the most part i've been the dick who will make fun of fatties and coloured kids and the socially awkward. why i am here is because i'm looking for change--anything to make me a more well-rounded person. in some ways i'm still a bully and sometimes like to dominate, but i think i've grown in that respect and a lot of times i show restraint and poise i think. overall i've been blessed with a good life and hey when that happens you're unlikely to stay humble: you subjugate instead and demonstrate your power over others. but i'm an unusual guy i think, and for that reason i've explored depths of my personality and the personalities of others that have allowed me to see from multiple perspectives and 180 on myself (and sometimes 180 right back :p)

Well, over the years I've become less arrogant, and I've maintained my effort to be nice to people and cats in general ... but it hasn't all been upwards or sideways for me.

As far as I know, "dementia" refers to any gradual diminishing of mental function. And if this is the case, in some ways I have experienced dementia, especially in terms of my memory. It actually began in high school or a bit earlier. I definitely do not have as good of a memory as I did in seventh grade. If I were in school now, in any class that required a lot of memorizing, I think I'd do poorly.

And I'm only 33 x_x Imagine me at 73 if I were to live that long.

Bad Ass

Custom Title
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis the 2nd Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
I don't know if I want to post here but I think that I will anyway.

I don't know where to start. I lived a nice life, up until I was 3. When I was 3, my dad was sent to jail. For ten years. So yeah, I didn't grow up with a father. The year after that, my grandfather died. But it didn't affect me in some profound way; I was 3 for god's sake. In the long term, however, it really did affect me. My grandmother became quite depressed, so my now-poor mother and I moved in with her a few years later. It was a nice situation. She helped pay the bills and we kept her company and moved her out of the depression. But we never really moved back out, and with the move, I also changed schools. I was only in second grade, and you know how easy it is to make friends when you're in second grade. Life went on for some time after that. I got my first girlfriend when I was in 5th grade. It was the usual 10-11 year old relationship, you know. Cute stuff. Once she tried calling my house phone, but I didn't pick up because I didn't want to talk to her.

Middle School started after that, and everyone thought they were the tough shit because they were in 6th grade. I was pretty much the same. You're in 6th grade! You're away from that kid school! Freedom! Of course, it was really just everyone's balls dropping and being douchebags as a result. I remember my first middle school gym class, where everyone was going ape because we had to change out into gym shorts and a t-shirt. That was really funny. Middle School was a weird time for me. I gradually got quieter as the years went on. By 8th grade, where everyone once again thought that they were the tough shit because they were in fucking 8th grade!, I was just that quiet kid. My father also got out of prison in 8th grade, so it was a readjusting period too, seeing him around.

Then everyone packed up and went to high school. The same thing happened as in 6th and 8th grades. But I was pretty cool about it. I really became introverted. All of my old friends would say how I never joked around with them anymore. But I was different from them. I always had these questions, burning a hole in my mind. I wouldn't say that I was suicidal, but just pretty goddamn angry about everything. Angry about how much better I could be doing if I didn't live in a hick town. Angry about how everyone was the worst type of Christian (intelligent design, if-you-aren't-one-too-than-fuck-you christians). Angry about how "well what the fuck is the purpose of life"? It was my angry phase, and I'm still in it. I'm still angry about everything I just listed, and more. I wasn't into girls--well, let me rephrase that. I wasn't into the girls that I knew. All I wanted was a nice girl who cared about me and not about stupid shit, and was actually smart, and shared some interests and morals with me. But there were no girls like that.

Around the end of Sophomore year, I kind of developed an interest in this one girl. Long story short, I asked her out, and she accepted. My first "real" girlfriend. I remember talking with joshe, my best Smogon friend at the time, about relationship stuff. Joshe went batshit crazy. Anyway, back to the story, we had a nice relationship together, doing relationship stuff and I thought that, hey, this is pretty nice. I still didn't have a vent to my emotions, since she wasn't the type of person who could _understand_ what I was feeling. But it was alright. Then, one night--I can hardly stand to recall the memory, it just radiates awkward--I lost my virginity to her. Do I regret it? Nah. But it sure was awkward. It was pretty funny looking back at it. Neither of us knew -what- exactly we were supposed to do. And a short time after that, she got into a terrible car accident. She broke a ton of bones, including her femur and some other leg area bones. She had to re-learn to walk. I believe that it was somewhere around...November of 2009 that this all happened? Anyway, I was there for her and everything, but shit went DOWN in that accident. She basically had to relearn to walk and everything. So we split up -- just for the time being -- since neither of us wanted to burden the other with our problems. She just couldn't handle anything else, and didn't want me to spend all of my time at her bedside. I didn't take it hard, obviously, since it was only for a time. I still visited her pretty often, maybe 1-2 times per week. But we just faded away. And we just decided that, fuck it, we had changed too much to be the same couple as when we first started, so we decided not to get back together.

FAST FORWARD a little bit later, and a big change comes in my life. A girl! But not just any girl, this was a "foreign" girl. From Seattle! Finally, a girl that was made for me. We share interests in the same things. She gets me. She gets the deep things that bother me. We just clicked, and like a month after she came here, I asked her out. Man, that was a great relationship. I loved everything about it, how we could talk for hours, do whatever and still enjoy it -- everything. She was pretty quiet. My friends would ask "What do you guys even -do-". But around me, she would open up. I, too, was pretty quiet. But it was the same vice-versa. I would have rather lost my virginity to her, to be honest. So for 5 or 6 months, we dated, and it was all great. Until one day, where she gave me a call, saying "I'm moving". I should have known not to get involved with a girl whose family moves a lot. I was pretty crushed. The one girl, my best friend, left me. So I kind of just said fuck everything except my schoolwork, since I knew not to make a GIANT mistake.

So I kind of got through senior year. It's supposed to be an awesome time, and it was pretty cool. I was still the pretty quiet kid. I had a great GPA. I got accepted into UGA with a full ride (a program in GA means that if your GPA is >3.7, you can get free monies for any school [IN GEORGIA]). And then it all came crashing down on April 24 of this year. Scarcely a month ago. My mother died. I was destroyed. I still am. I don't show it on the internet, the internet is my escape, where I get to see all of my cool friends and I make some jokes and screw around on IRC and I don't HAVE to talk and I don't HAVE to choke up because you can't see that. She passed right before finals, so I bombed those, which brought my GPA down to a 3.6, which means that I lost my scholarship. And right now I'm scrambling to get my life on track, while not having time to mourn and basically having to man the fuck up. I've cried every day for about 40 days now. Writing this has brought tears to my eyes, from memories old and new. I hope you guys enjoyed my life story. I sure enjoyed writing it.

i'm in the process of reading through this whole thread, because i'm hoping it might provide some insight on what the next few years might be like for me: i'm leaving high school at the end of next year so that means hopefully finding and enrolling in a university and subsequently getting a job and place of residence i don't hate, which is a really daunting prospect as many of you probably know, so many of the posts here are relevant...

and so far i've read some really inspiring stories- i'd just like to wish the best of luck to everyone who has or is going through shit and trying to recover from it!
i don't really enjoy life and haven't for a few years but some of these posts made me realise how much i take for granted.

i almost feel as though i dont have the right to tell my story (i probably wouldn't anyway but...)

anyway i got to this post and exactly this happened to me so i thought i'd say something

uragg said:
i used to like this girl, but then she emotionally raped me so now i just facebook stalk her and stare at her ass when she's not looking...

wow i really can't stop editing this post

Destiny Warrior

also known as Darkwing_Duck
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I've been following this thread a little, and I'd just like to say something about 2 posts.

1.Bad Ass: Living without your dad must have been horrible for 10 years. It was really enlightening, I hope you can get back to the track you want to get to!

2.Stallion: Interesting story(I read it fully) but PARAGRAPHS. That wall of text was kind of hard to follow at times.

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Haha sorry about the lack of paragraphs, I was in almost a trance-like state when writing that. I may edit them in at a later date. Glad you guys enjoyed my story :). And Bad Ass, that's a really sad story dude. Best wishes to you mate, hope you get everything back on track <3

Sarenji

leaf-faced
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Abbreviated version of Sarenji's life (cut out a lot of things):

The me of three years ago would not even recognize who I am. In high school, I wanted to be a writer or a programmer; if a programmer, then a cog in an industrial machine. I'd have a boss; I was afraid of power. I wanted a 9-to-5 job. Regular. Secure. Easy money. I'd be happy, then.

But I didn't even know what happiness meant. Finding that answer took me those three years.

Three years ago, I wondered what it would be like to die. My life had no meaning. I got straight As, I was good at what I did, but that didn't matter without anyone to share it with. I had the label of "smart," and was deathly afraid of losing it. That label was everything. I never made an effort to do anything except get good grades, and then I'd be modest about them, as if it was just nothing. Being labeled "smart" made me worse. The most horrible part: I didn't realize any of this then.

I was so hungry for love, but for a love that was reciprocated. I didn't like my mom, because she was overprotective. I didn't like my dad, because he had no idea how to handle his own emotions. I hated people, but wished for a girl. I wished someone would come and talk to me.

I gave up on trying to understand people. Being deaf gave me a convenient excuse to never understand. I gave up on figuring out what people at the lunch table were laughing about, because it hurt to think that people could laugh together, and I never would. I walked the easy road. Life was simple then. A wide swath of black, no grays or whites.

The first domino, I guess, was that summer.

I met a few other deaf people at a summer camp for Cued Speech (like signs, but for phonemes). I could be myself, then. I don't know if you can truly appreciate the idea, but I was wandering in a fog for several years until I broke out into this -- this place, where I could finally comprehend what other people said.

Naturally, I fell in love with one of the deaf girls. Too in love. She eventually thought I was annoying; I talked so much. After finding out about that, I was heartbroken. Suddenly, purpose. I wanted to change myself, so I would. I convinced myself it was for me, not for her. But how to change?

I read up on everything to do with interpersonal communication, pickup artists, seduction, nonverbal cues. Everything I had never known before. None of it helped at all.

What was love? I grew obsessed with it. Did I love her? Somehow, somewhen, my brain figured out that feeling was infatuation, not love. She wasn't The One. She had flaws, yes, but flaws don't matter. She just wasn't right. Months passed, and she stopped seeming beautiful to me. Months passed, and I didn't change. Just felt older.

I applied to three colleges. All of them virtually guaranteed acceptance. None of them Ivy leagues. I still regret that choice. The rumor that Ivy colleges "weed people out" (at least, Stanford) isn't true, but I believed it then. And anyway, I still wanted good grades. Then I could get a secure, easy job, a wife, a house, the American Dream, a life of meaning.

I graduated high school with only one friend: my interpreter.

My first year of college, I began shouldering more responsibility. That happens naturally. You have to feed yourself, wash your own clothes, set your own hours. In the middle of all that change came Steel (his internet name). He died of cancer at 23. He talked about passion. Fire. Never be passive. Never be afraid to say you love. When a person you know dies, a lot of life feels insignificant. You feel small. Really, that's one thing pessimists got right: life itself is meaningless. My brother always told me, "That's when you have all the power." But I didn't understand that. I didn't want power. I didn't want responsibility.

But I also didn't want a meaningless life.

I took a long look at my life. I didn't like what I saw. I kept busy, I wasn't bored, but what could I attribute to my name? I was fooling myself into thinking I was living a meaningful life. I was being passive. Passive. That fact had eluded me for years. I genuinely thought I wasn't a passive person.

Last summer, nearly a year ago, I fell for another girl. We communicated well. This time, she may actually have liked me. I made her happy, which I didn't realize was rare. But she was too shy, and I was too inexperienced, and again, too in love. I chased her away. And again, I realized she wasn't a person I wanted to be with. By then, I didn't believe in "The One." There's many of those fish. She just happened to be the biggest fish I ever saw.

I was starting to realize I loved Computer Science. I loved algorithms, data structures, and especially making things. That summer I made a lot of things. I started to question the path I was going. I thought I'd major in some easy major (New Media Interactive Development... now being renamed to New Media Information Technology), and cash in. I wanted to be a cog in an industrial machine. I was starting to realize I wanted none of that anymore. A secure job? Nothing is guaranteed. Why did I ever want that?

Halfway into the fall quarter, I made the decision to change majors. I started crying because I had never made such a big decision before. I applied to Stanford. I applied to UC Berkeley. I got rejected, and I can't help but feel I applied two years too late.

That fall quarter, Steel's words were finally internalized. I made a vow to approach a new person every single day for three months. I nearly didn't, every day. But I did. Two weeks was all I needed. I had gained a confidence, the kind I had gained and lost three years ago, that summer with the other deaf people. And I was actually beginning to understand people.

There is no inherent meaning in life, but you can place your own. I have power over my world, and no one can take that away from me. This is what my brother meant. This was never a battle of skills. It was a battle of the mind. If you don't know your own meaning, you must find it. No one else can find an answer that's meant for you. The answers lie within yourself. Generally, though, a person's individual meaning is to be happy.

The greatest enemy is yourself. Such a cliche, but now I realize why it is.

I don't want to work like most anymore. I'm tired of being passive. Now I want to become an entrepreneur. I want to make my own job. I want to make websites. I want to program. I want to write. I want to play a musical instrument. I want to understand people. I used to complain about these not happening. Now I just do it. My goals might still not be accomplished, but I'm making an effort. I'm taking the hard road.

I'm happy now.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Bad Ass, your story made me tear up a bit. The one that hit home the most was that foreign girl who moved, because I can almost relate to that.
Your mothers death was awful but we're here for you. One day things will get better, I swear it.

Edit: I know I shouldn't bold claims like that but I have a gut feeling things will turn up.

Wow, after reading Stallion's and Bad Ass's stories I just had to stop and think about how different we all can be. How different you can be because of how you grow up and what you do in your childhood.
Stallion: I'd like to say that your story was an awesome read, and it's great that your having a pretty good life.
Bad Ass: After reading your story, I teared up a little bit. I want to give you my best wishes, and I really hope that you are taking things alright. It's great that you tried hard in school, and it is now paying off in college though. Again, best wishes; I'm very sorry to hear about some of the worse things in your life.

I love the idea of this thread, and thank you to everyone else as well who opened up to write something that could be so dear to them.

The long and short of it is that I've had a lot of trouble with a lot of things in my life but goddammit I keep trying, even though shit really gets me down sometimes.

Oh what the hell I guess I could write more.

when I was little, other kids were always hurting me. Especially this fat ugly fuck. Every fucking day he'd push me off of something. I'm not even exaggerating. Being victimized over and over again left me with no self confidence at all.

So then I learned Karate. They said it was supposed to boost my confidence, but I wondered in what way, exactly. Was whooping on other kids during sparing the part that was supposed to make me feel good? It didn't much. Half the time the other kids I was sparing weren't quite as good as me and I felt like I was being an asshole - until, of course, I had to spar this kid who was much bigger than me. He knocked me over A LOT. A couple years later, I had to choose between sparring him, even bigger now, and somebody smaller. I stormed over to the big kid and smacked him in the shoulder (That's how you pick who you want to spar). This time, we had a good, even match in which he couldn't knock me over even once - and I finally felt a spark of confidence.

I could write more, but looking back now, I think that was the most important thing because it's the story of how I grew a pair and it still chokes me up today just thinking about it.

cookie

my wish like everyone else is to be seen
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
if you're writing here I'm assuming you want someone to read it so I strongly suggest you make it readable, i.e. paragraph it

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I was always a kinda different kid when I was young. Like when I was little I used to swap hands (ie I was never really right or left handed) cause apparently there were some issues with the strength of my hands or something. Anyway I had asthma when I was very young and it was really really bad. I remember having to go to hospitals just so I could breathe properly. I was also a ginger however I got through Primary school without really being bullied which was pretty cool. Had my first crush at primary school and even now we are still good friends. Anyway high school was pretty cool. I was really smart at English and reading apparently my comprehension skills were off the charts of something. Despite me being the ‘smart kid’, I was quite outgoing playing in Cricket and Soccer which I was really good at. I was quite small for my age I enjoyed playing defender and was pretty good at it. I never had a squad of “friends” but I got on pretty well with everyone at my school which served me well at high school as I knew quite a lot of friendly faces.

Around this time I developed problems with my eyes. Basically it was like permanent hay fever and I had to have special eye drops for it. Personally, for me it was 1 more medication too many as I was getting fed up drifting from one medication to another. Fed up with Doctors promising to see how I went without medicine (in regards to asthma) so in the end I tried to beat Asthma by myself. My brother and Sister had “lost it” at around 7 and I was fed up with it. Anyway being at High School exposed me a little more to the jokes I got from being ginger. I quickly learnt to laugh stuff off and was really only bullied a few times. I quickly learnt that people were often looking for a reaction and by ignoring it or laughing it off I was able to avoid people getting to me.

It was 2005 though that some life changing things happened. During February a mate of mine was competing in a school swimming race. I was watching on the bank when he some sort of heart attack in the pool. Apparently it could have happened at any time but despite teachers nearby attempting first aid I literally saw my mate die in front of me. It was the most horrible moment in my life and it was months before I was able to recover. God I kept reliving that moment for ages which eventually crippled my sleeping habits. I began to irrationally panic when sleeping at it was only with the help of a councellor a few years ago that I was finally able to control myself. If things were not bad enough, my granddad died a year later after my mates death, losing his battle with cancer. After the quick succession of deaths I became extremely depressed and pretty much dropped out of relationships I had built up with friends. Around this time, my asthma got worse and became far more of a hassle to live with. I made the decision that even after everything that was happening despite the temptation to let it overwhelm me and let it wreck my life I was going to try and fight through it. In having asthma I hated not being able to compete as well against my mates and felt like a quitter if I ever had to sit something out to get my asthma under control. Despite that feeling being irrational I just felt worse if I gave something anything less than my all. I began to take swimming lessons, trying to hold my breath for as long as I can while swimming to the point the instructor became worried with me with my lips apparently turning blue on one occasion. Swimming was actually very hard for me to do as I kinda had flashbacks to my mate swimming but again, I tried to keep going. The “beep test” we did in P.E every 4 months or so was such a bitch to do with asthma. However, even with asthma I would always push myself however, hitting Lv 10 pretty much every time. I would finish the run pretty much chocking for air but at least I felt that Asthma was no longer affecting me from things I wanted to do. I took up Tennis which was really fine as well as I was pretty quick around the court. I taught myself how to play and practised whenever I got free moments. That, along with Soccer kept me occupied pretty well with sport and suchlike.

Around this time, everyone went through a growth spurt etc except me. Me with my ginger hair and still relatively short statue severely impacted on my confidence with members of the opposite sex. That and the fact I was still hurting over losing my grandparent and mate meant I lost a lot of confidence in myself. My grades never dropped heaps but they were still well short of what I could achieve and despite being put in an accelerated English Class, I was struggling a bit there. However, I think the real turning point, for me came at the end of the year. I was Yr 9 at the time and there was a literacy competition between the Yr 9 and Yr 10s. I was always hopeless at writing stories so I submitted a Poem that I had written for my dad after my Grandad had died. At the end of the year to my total shock I ended up winning the literacy excellence school award (which was p big for me) for that Poem which really was key in getting some self confidence back and turning my life around. I took up History and Classics, things I really excelled in, and despite feeling “underwater” at times, took NCEA Level 1 and Level 2 English at the same time (in Yr 11). My marks picked up and I needed up passing full NCEA 2 a full year ahead of time. Being self taught but relatively skilled at chess I captained our school squad to regional’s first the first time ever and set up a club before leaving school. I began to branch out into the Media making a mockumentary and having our own show screen on TV for roughly a year. I began to socialise at lot more with my mates and just hang out.

My 1st year at university was really cool, I made a lot of new friends and we had some really awesome times. I got a lot of independence and I hit my growth spurt too which gave me a fuckload more confidence and self assurance that I previously lacked due to my height. I caught up with people interested in the things I was interested and reconnected my social life.
Now in my second year at university, I have a steady job whenever I get a break from school, getting pretty good grades and am in a steady relationship. Best of all, I consider myself haven “beaten” asthma which I am very happy about.

I always look back and think of all the idiotic things I did. Luckily my friends forget all of it but I never can.
This REALLY happened when I entered high school for the first time, I was thinking of how bad I was in middle school (I was antisocial almost all throughout).
Now I'm looking back at my freshman year... rocky, but best year so far and it has to get better.

uragg

Walking the streets with you in your worn-out jeans
is a Contributor Alumnus
revival.

WARNING: EXTREMELY LONG POST AHEAD

Here is the story of my swimming career. It is very long, but I hope you can indulge me and read it all the way through.

I first learned how to swim at the local YMCA when I was like 6 years old. I didn’t think much of it at the time, since my parents mostly signed me up so that I wouldn’t drown, but little did I know swimming was to become a huge part of my life for years to come. The lessons at the Y for different skill levels had names like “polliwog,” “tadpole,” and “fish,” all the way up to Garchomp “shark.” I progressed through all of them, getting a cursory understanding of all the different strokes and becoming a decent swimmer. At this point, swimming was pretty fun for me and I looked forward to the weekly lesson in anticipation of learning more cool new stuff. I liked it so much that I even went back and repeated the “shark” level lessons a couple times. After graduating from these lessons, my parents got a private instructor (still from the YMCA) for one-on-one lessons since I wanted to keep swimming, and he taught me flip turns and better technique and stuff like that. By the end of all of this, some of the instructors had recommended to my parents that I join a local swim team, since I enjoyed it a lot and was one of the fastest swimmers in those lessons. Despite this, I never joined a team because I took swimming as a fun hobby and I didn’t really feel any competitive drive for it.

Anecdote: one time at the “fish” level, the instructor told us to wear regular clothes for our next lesson so we could get a feel for how much of a difference actual swimwear makes. At the end of the lesson she told us to take off our regular clothes so we could compare the two. However, I forgot that she had told us to wear our regular swim trunks underneath our normal clothes. So I was like, “WTF you want me to get naked right here in a public pool…” I didn’t end up taking off my clothes though, but it would have been a pretty classic moment if I did.

My family moved (only like 10 miles and within the same county) when I was 7, and we had a new neighborhood pool. I don’t really remember why but I started going to the pool a lot more when I was 9, pretty much going every week just to swim laps. I never really understood going to the pool “for fun,” so all I would do was take a lap lane and swim back and forth for 45 minutes. I didn’t have a coach or a training regimen or anything, so it was just me doing breaststroke and freestyle by myself at a kinda leisurely pace. Then came the first major turning point in my swimming career: when I was 10, near the beginning of the summer, I was doing laps like always and the swim team coach of the neighborhood pool stopped me. He yanked me out of the water (literally, he pulled me out vertically) and made a pitch telling me to join the team because he had seen me swim and thought I was pretty good. After a bit of deliberation with my parents, I signed up for the team. It was pretty exciting, and I was really pumped for my first meet. It was a “B meet,” which means that it doesn’t actually count for standings and is more for the slower people. I didn’t know this, so I was really pumped. I swam the 50m freestyle, 25m breaststroke, and 25m butterfly. I won each of my heats and got three blue ribbons for my efforts, which I still have hanging in the living room. Although I got disqualified in the butterfly, my times were good enough in the other two events to make the “A meet,” which is what people care about since it decides the official standings for the league. And with this I was started on the biggest endeavor of my life thus far…

The season came and went. I participated in every “A meet” from then until the end of the year, since I was the fastest person in my age group on the team. However, I wasn’t a child prodigy or anything, since there were kids who were much faster than me on other teams and really fast older kids on my team, and I was kind of in awe at how fast they were. In fact, the fastest breaststroke swimmer in the entire league swam on a team in my division, and he burned me by more than 3 seconds in 25 meters. During the summer my parents heard about the Rockville-Montgomery Swim Club (RMSC) from an older swimmer’s parents. This was a club swim team that offered year-round training instead of only during the summer, and it was how all the fast swimmers had gotten so fast. My interest in swimming was piqued after the summer season, so my parents signed me up for this as well. There were three training groups for swimmers 12 and under: Junior II, Junior I, and Junior Select, from slowest to fastest. After a brief tryout I was placed in Junior II, but I was considered relatively fast for this group. I soon got into the club swimming lifestyle, which was much more individually oriented. Breaststroke became my specialty, and I dropped a lot of time. I swam hard in practice and competed in meets, steadily improving from October until March, when I got moved up into the Junior I group. Although I viewed this as a pretty big accomplishment, on the grand scheme of things it just meant that I was no longer a total scrub. When summer came around again, I was a lot faster than I was before but still not in the upper echelon of the elite swimmers.

Around this time, my father also got more involved in my swimming. While he didn’t really push me to join a team or anything before, after I joined RMSC he was constantly watching my practices and critiquing me and shit like that. I guess it helped me somewhat by pointing out where I needed to improve, but it was honestly incredibly annoying because he thinks that he’s the expert on pretty much everything. One day in practice he even stopped me in the middle of practice to yell at me for not doing something right.

My second summer season was in some ways not as successful as the first. I pretty much didn’t drop any time the entire season, and my dad was pretty pissed at this. At the team banquet after the end of the season, he told me to apologize to the coach for sucking so badly at the last meet of the season. And when I didn’t want to do so, he did it for me. This kinda pissed me off, but I didn’t really let it get me down. Although this was a sign of things to come…

And so begins the ascent. Almost immediately after the summer, I started getting fast. At a qualifier meet in November I dropped time in all 7 events I swam and made the Tom Dolan Invitational, which is the biggest meet of the winter season, in all of these events. I got moved up to the Junior Select group, which was a huge point of pride. Then, at Tom Dolan, I swagged it up. Coming in with no expectations, I scored in all three breaststroke events (50, 100, 200 yard) and made finals in the 100. And then at the Junior Olympic meet (the spring championship meet) I dropped yet more time in all of my events and made finals in the 200 IM as well as the breaststroke events. Things were looking pretty good. When the summer season came, I got even faster. Swimming for my club team at the beginning of long course season (meets transition from 25 yard pools to 50 meter pools sometime in mid-May), my breaststroke went from pretty good to fucking amazing, and this is no exaggeration. I quickly dropped four seconds from my already good 100 breaststroke time, and made similar gains in the 50. At the Virginia State Championship meet, I finished 3rd in the 100. Then at the Maryland State Championship meet, I won the 100m breaststroke. And the kid who used to be the fastest breaststroker in the league who burned me by 3 seconds when I was 10? He had moved to North Carolina, but he came back just to participate in this meet. I took him out hard in the first 50 meters, and held him off to win by less than half a second. Then that same day, I was on the “A” relay team for the 200 medley relay (50m each of backstroke, breaststroke, butterfly, and freestyle, in that order). And that relay team just straight up beasted. We set a team record and PVS record (the larger area that includes all club teams in the DC, MD, and Northern Virginia area) in the event and set the fastest time in the nation for the entire year, only about 2.5 seconds away from the national age group record. And while my teammates were among the fastest swimmers in the entire area, I pulled my weight. I executed what is the greatest swim of my career: splitting a 50m breaststroke in 35.5 seconds and absolutely frying the guy next to me. I was literally on top of the world.

And this continued for my neighborhood pool’s team. At 12 years old, I was at the top of my 11-12 age group. I was by far the fastest in my age group on the team, and at the first meet, I broke both the pool and team record in the 50m breaststroke. That time led the league for the entire summer season, as I would never improve on it, even though I came very close a couple of times. I dominated that summer. I broke the breaststroke pool record at every away meet. I swam in like 7 relays at relay carnival. I was the fastest breaststroker in the league by far. I won the Coaches’ Long Course meet in breaststroke, which only the fastest 8 swimmers in each event qualify for, by about 3 seconds. As my friend later told me, the announcer declared the race over by the 50 meter mark. I won the All-Star meet, which the top 16 in each event qualify for. I won the high-point award for my team. On the club scene, I finished second in both the 50m and 100m breaststroke at the summer PVS championship meet and got 5th in the 200. I qualified for the Eastern Zone meet in these 3 events, which features swimmers from all along the east coast. My season was pretty much swagtastic with a capital SWAG.

And then came the Zones meet. I had high expectations. I was seeded to make finals in the 50 and about 5 spots out in the 100. I trained hard leading up to it and felt good. But after getting to Buffalo and doing a warmup practice the day before competition, my stroke felt like utter shit. I tried to shake it off and told myself that it was just a fluke. At warmup the next day, I felt pretty good. The 50 breast was on the first day of the competition. This was the biggest stage I had ever been on, and it was my big chance against extremely high-level competition. I was pumped like never before. And then came what could be considered the turning point of my swimming career. As I stood up on the blocks, I started feeling a little uneasy. Unsettled. Literally. I started losing my balance…and fell in. Disqualified for a false start. Before the biggest swim of my life. If I had even gone my seed time, I would’ve qualified for finals. I cried for about an hour straight.

Since then, everything changed. I still had the 100 and the 200 left at the meet, but those were afterthoughts and I gained over two seconds in both of them. My team lost the meet by 3 points. When I got home, among the first things my dad said to me was, “you know you pretty much lost the meet for your team, right?” We left for China that day after getting in at like 6 am, and the entire two weeks there were pretty depressing. I didn’t touch a pool the entire time, so when I got back and returned to practice I was pretty out of shape. But unlike past breaks, when I would get my stroke back in about 3 days and be set to get working on my endurance, this time I felt like complete shit in the water. I had no feel for what I was doing at all, and it was like I had to learn the fine points of my stroke over again. Except…I couldn’t. I never really had to think about exactly what I was doing when I was swimming before, but all of a sudden nothing felt natural anymore. This showed in my first meet back, when I pretty much lost all of the gains I had made over the summer, going essentially the same times I had gone the past spring.

And so begins a period of time where I was just completely lost. For over a year I was desperate to get my former glory back, yet I had no idea what I was doing. This was compounded by moving into a new age group and going from a training group led by one of the best coaches in the state of a group led by two (BAN ME PLEASE)s who were fucking retarded. I was doing a lot of things wrong with my training, but I had nothing and nobody to guide me through what was the most difficult time of my swimming career. And so I struggled this entire time, making a few marginal drops in time but often gaining it right back the next meet because all of my technique was in flux. So I went from a stud at 12 to pretty much a scrub at 13, and the people who I used to burn were getting faster while I actually got slower. That summer, I literally went over a full second slower than what I had gone the year before in all of my events. This was a complete breakdown, since even though plateaus for two or three months are relatively common in the sport, kids just don’t get slower all of a sudden over the course of a year. I had lost the magic that had propelled me from a nobody into a superstar in less than a year.

And so it went for about a year and a half, training with no purpose and not getting anything out of practice. My coaches taught me nothing, and I learned nothing. But sometime in the spring of 2009, when I was 14, I started to revamp my stroke. My dad and I went to the pool on weekends, and he would watch me swim and tell me what was wrong. This process was not fun, and sometimes incredibly painful and frustrating. The first time we went, we were there for two straight hours going over one detail in my backstroke that if I didn’t get right, he wouldn’t let me leave. I cried and refused to swim sometimes because it seemed that nothing I did matched what he said and he lectured me for hours, at the pool, driving there and back, and at home. But it was working. I started getting faster, and, more importantly, I felt like I knew what I was doing again. My freestyle surpassed my old times, but my breaststroke was still at best at the same level it was at before my descent.

But one day, it came back and then some. One Wednesday morning at 4:45 am, at the practice where we specifically work on breaststroke, it happened. It was almost magical. I was feeling it, and it was feeling me. The next hotshot breaststroke, a 12 year-old who was even faster than I had been at that age, was there also. And I burned him. At the end of practice, I sprinted out to a time of 1:16 in 100m in the short course pool. The raw speed that had driven my success earlier was back, baby. This was the best I had felt in years, and the fastest I had ever been in my life. I was incredibly pumped and I was ready to reclaim my place as a fast swimmer and shed the title of ‘most washed-up.’

And then it was gone. In a week, even though I hadn’t changed anything about my technique, I lost the speed I found just as suddenly as it had come. What. The. Fuck. And so my best time never officially improved, and this ephemeral feeling of success was gone. But it wasn’t all bad though, because I was at least at the same speed I was at two years ago and definitely faster than I had been the year before. I had a sort of revival that summer, and I actually went faster than I did when I was 12, which was pretty big for me because of the pitiful year I had before then. I even made the All-Star meet again, sneaking in as an alternate and then promptly gaining two seconds but somehow not finishing last.

At this point, I pretty much gave up on ever being elite again. I just didn’t care about it as much as I used to, and I had already scaled back my practice schedule and moved to a slower training group. Or maybe I got kicked out for not giving a fuck. I honestly don’t remember, though it is likely to be the latter. I had made something of a comeback, and despite my relative success I never felt the same passion for the pool that I had when I was younger. Practice was boring, and I really didn’t get the rush that you get after working hard on something. I wanted to quit club swimming and just do the low-commitment efforts of swimming for my school team and my summer neighborhood pool, since I just had no drive. This plan was working out in the fall, since I played JV soccer for my school and didn’t go to the pool once until the school season started in late November. I somehow got back into club swimming along with that though, albeit on a less frequent basis (four practices a week as opposed to six or seven). I actually kept dropping time despite my apathy for swimming, and I swam my last club practice in March of 2010.

Last summer, last school season, and now this upcoming summer have all been huge drags with respect to swimming. I can’t say that I hate it, but I just don’t give a fuck about it and would never do it if I could decide. Pretty much the only things keeping me still in summer and school swimming are my ‘obligations’ to the teams since I’ve been on them for so long and my dad. The obligation to my summer team is pretty much bullshit, since I have never been and am not really friendly with the community. I haven’t gone to school with any of the people at my pool since 3rd grade since I’ve been going to ‘magnet’ schools, I never went to the pool to hang out ever since my family has lived here, and I’m just not an outgoing person in general. I’m not good friends with anybody on the team, I don’t talk to the majority of the people who go there because I have no idea who they are, and I only talk to some of the faster people because I got to know them while I was still fast, but it’s now awkward because I’m no longer fast and don’t swim seriously. I actually like the school team though, since I generally know them better and it’s more fun overall, even though it’s usually the other way around for most people.

However, my dad is another story. Man, oh man. He has wanted me to keep swimming even after I stopped giving half a fuck about it. When I wasn’t doing club swimming he made me go to the pool on the weekends to swim for an hour or two. He says that it helps my upper body strength and that it’s a good exercise, but I do not like doing it. It’s not like I can’t stand it, but I would much rather do pushups or ANYTHING other than go swimming. He tells me that if I were to quit I should’ve done it when I was sucking huge ass titties a few years ago, not now. But back then I still had motivation. Now I just go through the motions. He tells me that I made a commitment to do it, and so I should keep on working at it. That if I give up on this I’ll give up in the future. But I’ve done it for six entire fucking years. And the last four have been a shithole. I get nothing from swimming anymore. I’ve seen the highs and the lows. I don’t feel any better that I’ve persevered for this long, since I just feel bitter about having to do it. He tells me that I can quit when I’ve truly mastered swimming. But I am never going to recapture my glory days. I actually know what I’m doing now, instead of just flailing around like I was just a short time ago when you were saying this. What the fuck do you want from me? Do you want me to become a superstar again so you can brag about me? So you can hang out with the faster swimmers’ parents and not have to admit that I comparatively suck now? So I’m not considered a washed-up failure that burned out after peaking at age 12 by my former peers? I don’t know what you want. But I don’t care about any of that. I just want to have a goddamn break. That lasts for at least year or two, so I don’t have to put up with this BS that I don’t take anything away from.

And so that’s where I am right now, just kind of in flux and going through the motions. I don’t know what will happen in the future. But I have time trials tomorrow, so wish me luck I guess. I would appreciate it if I still cared about how I did.

I guess what I’ve learned from all of this is a couple things. Despite what LN said, sometimes you are, in fact, the shit. I was the shit. But just because you’re the shit for one second doesn’t guarantee you’ll be the shit in a month, in a day, or even in a second. Success can be fleeting, so savor it while you can. Also, the cliché that you can succeed at anything if you try for long enough is pretty much bullshit. I guess it could be true if a) you know what you’re doing and b) you’re determined to do it, but this combination is harder to attain than it sounds. I’ve been at swimming for exactly six years, and my success came meteorically, and my perseverance has only led to apathy. And I guess my final observation is that swimming sucks dick. Honestly, fuck it.

I hope you guys enjoyed reading my story, I really enjoyed writing it. Congratulations for making it all the way through.

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
pool story bro :)

But really, it was nice reading through your swimming history. Luckily my parents have always been supportive. I did competitive gymnastics (lol) for about 8 years before deciding to quit. Like you, I just didn't feel like doing it any more. They supported me and have continued to support me in my endeavors. Hopefully you can come to an understanding with your dad once you move away for college and have a bit of space between you. He'll have to come to terms with the fact that he won't always be able to control your actions.

ghost

formerly goldenghost
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
LC Leader
This is an extremely touching and emotionally charged thread. I feel really bad now about this because I don't have to deal with nearly as many problems as some of you. But here goes.

Let's start with middle school.

Middle school sucked. Unequivocally and intensely. Because everybody's out of elementary, they instantly become hot shit. Combined with awkward-as-fuck puberty, you've got a volatile soup of concentrated horror. In middle school, is was cynical, anti-social, angry, and just generally an asshole. I had no trouble in alienating people, alienating friends, alienating acquaintances; that shit was all fair game. I had a temper, and despite being young for my grade and very skinny, I would blow up aggressively at everything that even slightly rubbed me the wrong way. I refused to lose arguments and I almost always managed to irritate people. The closest thing I had to a social group was Band, which was ok, but aside from the guy who had already been my best friend since third grade, I was never really close to any of them. I spent more than half of eighth grade trying to win over a crush, and I was ultimately too shy and too awkward to make anything work and she ended up with somebody else that she's still with-I guess I should be happy for them, at least, but after rejection, I sulked for maybe a day and instantly forced myself to get over it without anything substantial.

Fastforward to the beginning of freshman year. I was still cynical, still arrogant, still argumentative. I was ultimately still a bag of piss and little would happen to change that.

In October, my parents had a fight and decided to get a divorce.

I shouldn't have been too surprised. My dad didn't cheat, didn't beat me and my brother, and didn't abuse her, but she had decided that he had his priorities out of order. I sobbed for a week straight, just sort-of stumbling from class to class as the day blurred together in a mess of gray. However, I think that there was something in that shock that made me changed-I tried to understand people more, appreciate them, love more, and stop being so cynical. For once in my life, I finally had a group that embraced me, acting and debate, and I returned the embrace with open arms. I became more social, more supportive, and more positive. I think what really happened as the importance of personal relationships punched me in the face after my happy little world has collapsed around me. I still don't really have a love interest, but I'm in an infinitely-better situation. If that announcement could have never happened, I would've made it so. In the end, though, the shock made me a better person (I think).

My parents have still not gotten that divorce, and they're speaking more to eachother, but right now it's just like they're acquaintances. I've been in limbo for close to 9 months now, and the end isn't in site. Still, I'm doing alright.

Thanks for reading and my sympathies go out to all of you who have it worse than me. I'll be rooting for you to pull through.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)