Hardest video game level/boss you've ever faced

Probably the Omega Pirate from Metroid Prime. I distinctly remember spending at least two weeks making runs at it, and when I finally took it down, I checked my pulse at about 150 bpm.

If not that, Cynthia is just a motherfucker, especially if you don't construct a team ahead of time that can take her out (i.e. I didn't have an Ice attack and her Garchomp swept my team through 10 full restores and revives).

Man, and fuck A Bug's Life. That game was too goddamn hard.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Fire Emblem, Cog of Destiny, Hector Hard Mode. Oh my god that level pissed me off.

Your enemies are promoted high level magic users, many of which have sleep/berserk staves or bolting/purge magic, and surprisingly high speed. My party in particular was highly physical-based, so I had little to no Resistance on most of my characters...which means every turn I had to choose between healing someone who just took massive damage or restoring someone who just got berserked/slept. Add this to the fact that you had enemy reinforcements coming in every turn and it was very hard to make any progress without losing a unit. Oh, and if you do make it past the massive numbers of enemy mages, you ultimately have to face off with a Swordmaster who has a very good chance of immediately criting your unit and killing it, forcing you to start all over.

I actually don't know that it would be that hard now, maybe my memory is betraying me. But all I know is, 3 years ago that level made me rage just thinking about it.
Fire Emblem 12 has something close to that.

It's called Chapter 14. A fucking dick of a chapter. Though 20X is twice as dickish (Berserkers, 2-3 range Snipers, 26 AS with good crit, then Meteor shoving at you? FUCK THAT SHIT!)

Oh my god I can't believe I'm not the only one to have experienced the horrors that is the city level of a Bug's Life. And not only was that city unwinnable, it was extremely hard to even get to because of the canyon level.
THESE BERRIES DON'T WORK

i didn't really struggle with any of the levels in this game but oh my god the dialogue x_x

i came very close to beating i wanna be the guy. couldn't beat the final boss after several tries though.

my friends want me to start playing touhou, but i really don't play video games any more...

I've got two, one because I was a stupid kid and the other because of a fucked up story mechanic.

Ganon from OoT: I spent hours trying to kill this mother fucker, all because my official strategy guide had a bad strategy in it. Remember how you were supposed to shoot Light Arrows at Ganon's face to stun him, then run around behind him and attack his tail? Unfortunately I was bad enough with the timings that I couldn't kill him before I ran out of arrows, so I had to resort to the other strategy my guide suggested: shooting him with the hookshot. What I didn't know was that the hookshot stuns Ganon for about half the time as a Light Arrow, so if I was bad at getting behind him before, imagine how much worse I was now. I raged pretty hard. Then I learned you can just roll through his legs and he'll never find you until you attack him. So dumb.

Sheena from Tales of Symphonia: Not just any Sheena fight, the one after you kill the weird harpy demon boss in the air dungeon. First of all, it took me forever to kill that guy. So many tries, so many hours. The first time I did it I burned through all my Life and Apple gels. So when I finally killed him, all I was thinking about was avoiding monsters and getting to a save point. Little did I know that right as you were about to leave the dungeon, Sheena would attack you with a weird demon pet and her being a crazy ninja assassin. My entire party is at half health, Raine's my only healer, Genis doesn't have any good magic at this point, and Colette's spending the whole fight trying to cast an Angel Song or whatever bullshit move heightened my attack, not caring that she's GETTING INTERRUPTED EVERY SINGLE TIME. I finally managed to get the harpy fight down to a science so I had enough life potions to keep bringing my team back and we could drop that bitch. The worst part is that she's then totally worthless when she finaly joins the team. Terrible.

Also, I've never beaten Star Fox Adventures for the Gamecube because I had a glitched version and it was impossible to beat the lizard in the swamp level. The match came down to just button mashing the A button to push the lizard into a hole, but no matter how fast you did it, you couldn't win. And because of that I've never been able to experience the Tyrannosaurus city level, and it was a fun game besides that :(
I remember that part! It was impossible for me to push that guy into the hole. Couldn't mash the A button fast enough. I had to have my dad, who had been playing guitar for about 30 years at that point, do it. He RAPED that lizard. There's a part in the final dungeon where the same puzzle comes up. Had to have my dad do that one too.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Sheena from Tales of Symphonia: Not just any Sheena fight, the one after you kill the weird harpy demon boss in the air dungeon. First of all, it took me forever to kill that guy. So many tries, so many hours. The first time I did it I burned through all my Life and Apple gels. So when I finally killed him, all I was thinking about was avoiding monsters and getting to a save point. Little did I know that right as you were about to leave the dungeon, Sheena would attack you with a weird demon pet and her being a crazy ninja assassin. My entire party is at half health, Raine's my only healer, Genis doesn't have any good magic at this point, and Colette's spending the whole fight trying to cast an Angel Song or whatever bullshit move heightened my attack, not caring that she's GETTING INTERRUPTED EVERY SINGLE TIME. I finally managed to get the harpy fight down to a science so I had enough life potions to keep bringing my team back and we could drop that bitch. The worst part is that she's then totally worthless when she finaly joins the team. Terrible.

I actually didn't have much trouble with this fight. Though, I did die the first time because I didn't know she was coming. But after that (and re-doing the air boss fight because I didn't save after killing it >.>), all I had to do was heal ahead of time and then the fight was easy.

IMO the hardest fight from Tales of Symphonia (without any bonuses from already beating the game) is the Water Temple fight vs. the three mermaids. God those bitches suck. SPREAD. Fuck you. Undine wasn't as bad, but still pretty hard.

Colette's spending the whole fight trying to cast an Angel Song or whatever bullshit move heightened my attack, not caring that she's GETTING INTERRUPTED EVERY SINGLE TIME
OMG this is so true and amazing and I'm so happy you said it. She is soooooo stupid. I would just turn off all of her stupid angel attacks so she wouldn't try doing that. Of course I didn't use her after I got the other characters into my party (Presea ftw).

Also, I would also wager that Colette is bar none the most annoying voice acting ever to have been done. "Sorry". "Oh, I'm sorry". OK I GET IT YOUR SORRY NOW SHUT THE FUCK UP.

I just played Metroid Fusion again last week and this guy

WAS A TOTAL FUCKSTAIN.

I must have lost about a dozen times until I got his goddamn pattern down. I was also down a couple of Energy Tanks because this game is a shitty asshole about letting you explore sometimes and I forgot to look for them when I could have.

I also had a tough time with this boss-

But I really enjoyed this battle because it was so insane. The little flowers at the top of the pic keep shooting crap at you and knock you into the big flowers that damage you which are a BITCH to get out of sometimes. As the battle continues that moldy turd looking statue at far right starts shooting at you like crazy at different elevations. This took me about six tries.

At least this game's incarnation of Ridley was piss easy.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Also killing the Hellcats in Jak 2. Fucking ridiculous.

OK I'm going to get in this flying car, chase all eight of you, and then shoot you as I'm chasing you. Here, I'll use my good gun; oh wait it has no accuracy. Here let me use the gun with the good accuracy; oh wait I have to practically stop to use it while getting mercilessly shot at by assholes. Here I'm going to use my shotgun; oh wait I have to get in your face for it to be effective by which time you will have already killed me.

Fuck. That. Still haven't beat that game either. If anybody has any tips for this level let me know.

Flower clock boss from Mega Man 9. Hell, every Mega Man EVER is rough shit, from the levels to the bosses themselves.

Probably any level from Battletoads once you reach the 3rd.
The speed bike wind tunnel? If so I can get to the end perfectly but I lose over half my lives trying to get past the last part.

My recent hardest level: Halo Reach Pillar of Autumn LASO
The main difficult I had was the elites, brutes that have the FRG and Gravity Hammer, and lucky grunts shots. It took me over 4 hours to finish this, add to this 3 hours because I wanted to see if I would be able to resume if I quit the game but I had to start all the way back to the beginning.

One hard game overall

Its a tie between Biohazard for Wii vc and Sega Genesis and Battletoad
Both have level that are insane
In Biohazard your ship will explode if you get hit, a bunch of bullets flying towards you, getting the wrong upgrade during a fight.
Battletoads-tricky levels

I have to disagree with people saying Prinny Baal from the NIS games. My impression is that this thread is about bosses/levels that require extreme technical precision, luck, or strategizing. Beating Prinny Baal is just a matter of grinding. The postgame of NIS games is pretty straightfoward; you just keep going further and further into the random dungeons, stealing better equipment, and leveling up over and over (with transmigrations/Egg reincarnations/whatever). Youtube is full of videos where a level 50,000 Divine Majin with Yoshitsuna and a Super Robo Suit kills Baal with one counterattack.

I mean, I guess that's "hard" in some sense.

Castlevania: Grim Reaper
God damn that motherfucker, I was never able to beat that son of a bitch without cheating, I need to play that game again

And I can't really remember anything reeeeeeeeally mega super hard, Ice Man was a bitch as a kid, but I replayed all the megamans in a row 2 years ago, and I beat that mofo.

Well, Metal Slug, umm have someone ever beaten Metal Slug 5 with just 3 lives?

Royal Flush

in brazil rain
is a Past WCoP Champion
The final challenges of Perfect Dark. The ones with Dark Simulants. Geez can't tell how many times I cursed those cheating bastards. I actually managed to complete all of them at my youth, but I realized how I've lost all my reflexes for playing shooters outside of computers after trying to play PD again once a few months ago, lol. Myopia is not an excuse, I guess. Maybe I've just became a casualfag, after all.

Steelicks

Come here and Battle me!
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
do optional (power nerds need only apply) bosses like the "Weapon" creatures in the Final Fantasy games count, i wonder? or rather compulsory, story related bosses?

assuming the latter, i would agree with Charro.... Grim Reaper from the original NES Castlevania is mind-meltingly hard. in fact if it is a NES game you could almost guarantee the boss would be freakishly hard

FlareBlitz

Relaxed nature. Loves to eat.
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Fire Emblem 12 has something close to that.

It's called Chapter 14. A fucking dick of a chapter. Though 20X is twice as dickish (Berserkers, 2-3 range Snipers, 26 AS with good crit, then Meteor shoving at you? FUCK THAT SHIT!)
Oh my god, I hate 3 range snipers, I never bother to check their ranges until they start shooting at my squishy backline units...and all enemy units with high crit chances just piss me off in general. The enemy shamans with Luna are always the worst offenders for me.

I haven't played all the Fire Emblem games, but of the ones I have played, the hardest level I have ever encountered was in Radiant Dawn. It was the level where the Dawn Brigade first encounters the Laguz...I couldn't even hold out until the Black Knight teleported in without losing a unit. I don't even think it was an issue of being RNG-screwed, my Aran had like 18 DEF already and he still got 2-shotted by the laguz :| Ultimately I ended up beating it through a pretty insane series of lucky roles (like, dodging several 70% hit chances).

Edit: That Gitaroo Hero song was awesome.

In kingdom heart 358/2, I still haven't been able to beat the The sky ruler

I've tried so many times until I just stopped playing completely. I think thats the only boss I haven;t beaten ever.

I swear, this guy made me want to light my DS on fire and send it to hell. HOURS spent on this bastard, but after a run where I flew around in circles like a retard to avoid everything and getting hits in every two minutes or so, I FINALLY beat him. Then Square-Enix screws me over by making Riku and Xion easy, so I'm like WTF?!?

@flareblitz: imo the hardest level in radiant dawn is either chapter 4-3, distortions or chapter 4-4, revelations on the hardest difficulty, idr which. well it actually might not be: i just remember looking at the map before making any moves and thinking "oh fuck that" but decided to give it a go anyway, and once again, a few turns in i thought "fuck that" and gave up. i'm pretty bad at fire emblem though, i wish i wasn't.

@berserker lord's post about wily's castle: i wholeheartedly agree with you.

thinking about it now, i haven't played many games with difficult bosses. most of the bosses i've encountered are in the zelda games and gyorg from majora's mask was the hardest that i can remember (still not that hard really, so long as you have a bottled fairy) although, now that i think about it, oot ganon was actually pretty tricky, it's just the last time i battled gyorg was about 4 days ago and the last time i battled oot ganon was about 4 years ago so...

a few that stand out though:

if anyone loves tales of symphonia as much as me, they'll know that there are multiple paths through the game- towards the start you can just ignore all the events that occur at palmacosta and do... various other things instead, and then go back and have an easy-as-hell time with magnius and pronyma's servant thing that you fight in the basement of general dorr's house.
so on one of my playthroughs, i found myself fighting iapyx as the second boss (well it depends what you count as bosses but basically i did the triet ruins, and then pretty much went straight to balacruf mausoleum). it was a while ago now so i don't remember how i did it but needless to say i had a tough time with iapyx and the sheena fight that cooper mentioned.

other noteworthy boss battles in ToS are that one where you play as sheena and fight kuchinawa by yourself, i had to look up a strategy for that on youtube, as well as some of the colosseum fights, in particular the one that is made up of cameos from some other tales game, and the one where you fight seles.

also the final boss of no more heroes 2 (has anyone played that?) on the hardest difficulty is tough, basically because you pretty much can't use the peony, so you can't do as much damage as would be ideal, it's difficult to get an attack in because he attacks so fast, and many of his attacks will just smash you out the window, killing you instantly. in no more heroes you have a hell of a lot more health than in the average game so "insta-kill" is a big deal.

aaand finally the last boss on viewtiful joe on the hardest difficulty. i don't remember much about this fight other than it was hard.

oh and solace: taboo sho really isn't that hard if you have the right pins (LIGHTNING RAGE) although that can be said for most bosses in that game i guess

WAS A TOTAL FUCKSTAIN.

I must have lost about a dozen times until I got his goddamn pattern down. I was also down a couple of Energy Tanks because this game is a shitty asshole about letting you explore sometimes and I forgot to look for them when I could have.
I hate this guy with such a burning passion it's not even funny. Poor Samus. Unless you're heavily upgraded, this guy is the biggest dick in the world to face. He moves so erratically, and if you mess up and get hit, you're almost instantly screwed. Biggest dick of a boss I've faced so far.

Cyber Peacock as Zero in Megaman X4 is also quite hard. There is no super-effective weapon, and dodging his attacks is extremely difficult even with both Kuuenbu and Hienkyaku.
The fire attack is his weakness. He's not hard in the slightest with it.

I Wanna Be the Guy on the hardest setting is so hard not even the creator thought anybody would be crazy enough to win (since it removes all the save points except the one that's really a deathtrap). I've gotten pretty far into the game on the easiest setting, which is actually a feat in and of itself.

Also, the final level in Syobon Action (or "Cat Mario" as it's sometimes called) is hilariously hard - there's no visible ground. I never did beat that one, either.

WAS A TOTAL FUCKSTAIN.

ugh wow FUCK nightmare ugh ugh ugh such bad memories of that and broken GBAs, the space jump boss was pretty annoying too

also in MP2 (one of very few games i've finished start to end) i really, really hated the Alpha Blogg

any underwater bosses at all where your movement is hindered in any way just blow

obvious mentioning of Sephiroth from KHII

Fire Emblem, Cog of Destiny, Hector Hard Mode. Oh my god that level pissed me off.
Cog of Destiny on HHM is a sick joke. 23x is pretty mean too

However I'm inclined to say the hardest boss I've faced was the boss of level.. 13 I think.. in Prehistorik Man.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)