Smogon University PO Statistics — May 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was stated that the chance of encountering a SINGLE weather starter was 45.7%, which was the sum of all of the respective chances of encountering each respective weather starter. Thus, if each respective weather starter had a respective chance of appearing on a team of 20%, the sum would be 100%, which can't possibly be true.
Well, let's say that there are 1000 teams comprising the statistics. If your assumption of 20% usage of each weather starter holds true, then 200 teams use Tyranitar, 200 teams use Hippowdon, 200 teams use Politoed, 200 teams use Ninetales and 200 teams use Abomasnow. Disregarding teams that use two or more weather starters on the same team, then YES, 100% of all teams you would face would have a weather starter. Which just shows that adding all those usage percentages to get 45.7% is a valid measure of the prevalence of weather in the current metagame, disregarding all the other factors outlined in my previous post.

Is the cutoff for UU 53 pokes, after crobat, or will the UU list be a little bigger than the OU list?
Any way thanks for the list. i keep hearing that each tiers has so many useable pokemon, that the tier groupings should be expanded a little, but keeping it this simple is good enough for me.

Very interesting UU stats and no real surprises.

Kyurem and Victini were no brainers, everyone has been screaming for them to get insta-bans from the start. Arcanine has always been a top contender but being able to heavily damage/take hits from the 3 most ridiculous Pokemon in UU is a bonus (Chansey/Kyurem/Victini).

Hitmontop and Donphan is no surprise as keeping hazards off the field is so insanely important in UU and they do it best.

What on earth is wrong with unrated UU battles. This looks so wrong on so many levels.
Gonna hazard a guess and say thats Swift Swim sweeper Mantine making 14th, its actually a very effective counter to the Hail/Sun teams in UU.

Just posting to say I hate you all for making Zapdos 1 spot off OU. We must try harder to keep him in the tier.

Have a nice day.

That wasn't my point. It was stated that the chance of encountering a SINGLE weather starter was 45.7%, which was the sum of all of the respective chances of encountering each respective weather starter. Thus, if each respective weather starter had a respective chance of appearing on a team of 20%, the sum would be 100%, which can't possibly be true.
You don't get it, do you?

If each weather starter had a 20% chance of appearing on a team, and each team had at most one weather starter, 100% of teams would have weather starters. Your example illustrates no point; it is a total non sequitur.

@Red Alert, actually Gtm came to the same conclusion as us, that 20% individual weather starter usage ratings would mean 100% of team having a weather starter. It's just that he disbelieves what such an assumption could mean, as evidenced by his phrase "which can't possibly be true".

As outlined here, 70.4844% of all pokemon battles involve weather in some form.

Effectively there is a 7:3 ratio between battles with weather and battles without weather. The question here is whether this is a significant. Does this mean that weather is overcentralizing the metagame? I'm personally leaning for NO. I'd only say yes IF, say, 90% of the battles are weather-based.

@Red Alert, actually Gtm came to the same conclusion as us, that 20% individual weather starter usage ratings would mean 100% of team having a weather starter. It's just that he disbelieves what such an assumption could mean, as evidenced by his phrase "which can't possibly be true".
You need to work on your phrasing here. It's not really clear what you are saying. I can assure you that he didn't not come to the same conclusion as I did, as evidenced by his phrase "That wasn't my point."

As outlined here, 70.4844% of all pokemon battles involve weather in some form.

Effectively there is a 7:3 ratio between battles with weather and battles without weather.
You mean 10:3 ;)

Curselax is good. But it's lost it's shine now in the meta. There's way too many hard hitters (even in UU). And thanks to the new sleep mechanics, if lax switches, it'll reset. The only slight hope is if he ever gets slack off...

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Dumb statement. While Swampert is no longer the defensive stalwart it used to be, it's still the single most reliable Water/Ground type in the tier. Try running Choice Band in the Rain. Imagine Azu with better offensive and defensive typing with the ability to get past Jellicent.
yes except that you ignore the most important think as to why azumarill is used:priority!!!and this makes a whole world of difference!
and anyway i am 100% sure that swamperts useage will fall more every month when it finally settles at low ou to uu...

Just posting to say I hate you all for making Zapdos 1 spot off OU. We must try harder to keep him in the tier.

Have a nice day.
QFT
I think Snorlax is a lost cause, but I'll be damned if Zapdos doesn't remain an OU vet.

edit: Well, Snorlax could have hope, being at #76. But it would take a massive player-movement to get him back. Let's worry about Zapdos for now. Use it, people!

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
QFT
I think Snorlax is a lost cause, but I'll be damned if Zapdos doesn't remain an OU vet.
I think if Thundurus ends up getting banned from OU, Zapdos will go up quite a bit in usage. Its fantastic typing and overall bulk is too tempting to resist.

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Tornadus can set up priority Rain Dance for itself, Kingdra, Kabutops, and Ludicolo. You know, the ones that were broken with Drizzle in OU, and have gone to UU because of the ban on that combo.
But don't forget, the problem is Drizzle, not those three pokémon!!!!

Can't wait for July usage stats, really.

You don't get it, do you?

If each weather starter had a 20% chance of appearing on a team, and each team had at most one weather starter, 100% of teams would have weather starters. Your example illustrates no point; it is a total non sequitur.
Okay, I was wrong. No need to be a douche about it.

I think specially defensive Heatran is one of the best and most underrated sets in the current metagame so I was pleasantly surprised to see Heatran so high, since I haven't seen very many other players using it. Then I started laddering on a fresh account to dick around and fought my way through six teams with Balloon Heatran. Sigh.

dwarfstar

mindless philosopher
Zapdos in UU? Oy. Well, at least Sceptile's finally getting some love. About time, if you ask me. XD Thanks, RD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)