Abomasnow [QC 3/3] [GP 2/2]

Komodo

Huff
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Abomasnow

[Overview]

<p>Abomasnow is one of two Pokemon with the unique ability Snow Warning, the other being its pre-evolution, Snover. Snow Warning summons a permanent hailstorm upon entry, which makes Abomasnow a perfect team player for Ice-types, especially those with abilities that benefit from hail, such as Ice Body and Snow Cloak. Permanent hail also gives Abomasnow a 100% accurate Blizzard, and with the boost from STAB, it becomes very powerful. In addition to Blizzard, Abomasnow has a very wide offensive movepool, which consists of moves such as Wood Hammer, Earthquake, Focus Blast, Hidden Power, and Shadow Ball. That's not all, however, Abomasnow also possesses a few useful support options which include, but are not limited to: Leech Seed, Toxic, Light Screen, and GrassWhistle. Abomasnow's defenses are also above average, and it carries resistances to common Water-, Grass-, Electric-, and Ground-type moves, making it easier to switch in, and consequently activate Snow Warning. Unfortunately, Abomasnow's fun ends here; its typing leaves it weak to common Fire-, Rock-, and Fighting-type moves, with seven weaknesses in total, and gives it a nasty weakness to Stealth Rock, causing Abomasnow to lose 25% of its health upon switching in. Abomasnow's Speed isn't anything crowd-pleasing either, and it's often left in the dust by faster Pokemon in the tier. If you can use Abomasnow for its advantages, namely Snow Warning, and support it correctly, it can be a great asset on your team.</p>

[SET]
name: SubSeed
move 1: Substitute
move 2: Leech Seed
move 3: Blizzard / Wood Hammer
move 4: Protect / Ice Shard
item: Leftovers
ability: Snow Warning
nature: Calm / Careful
evs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This is undoubtedly one of the most effective sets Abomasnow can run. Leech Seed, combined with an ability which summons permanent hail and Abomasnow's decent defensive prowess, means it can take on a defensive role. Resistances to common Water-, Electric-, Grass-, and Ground-type moves give it plenty of opportunities to switch in, activate Snow Warning, and start wearing the opponent down with Leech Seed and passive hail damage. Blizzard is an excellent choice as it benefits from the hail, giving it 100% accuracy, and with STAB, it has 180 Base Power. Protect makes it easier to predict the opponent's next move, and it also gives Abomasnow an extra turn of Leftovers and Leech Seed recovery. Wood Hammer and Ice Shard can be used on a physically oriented set, though Wood Hammer's recoil and Ice Shard's low Base Power make them inferior choices.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>This set is designed to let Abomasnow stick around as long as possible and annoy the opponent until they start ripping their hair out. The defensive EVs attempt to balance Abomasnow's defenses, and maximum HP investment gives it plenty of bulk. If you require more EVs in a particular defensive stat, feel free to change them to suit your needs. A Calm nature should be used alongside Blizzard and Protect, while a Careful nature should be used with Wood Hammer and Ice Shard. Alternatively, a Sassy nature can be used with a combination of Blizzard, Wood Hammer, and Ice Shard, which takes advantage of permanent hail, as well as a powerful physical move, or a priority move in Ice Shard. Giga Drain or Toxic can easily fill the last slot for different reasons. With the recovery from Leftovers, Leech Seed, and Giga Drain, Abomasnow will be almost impossible to efficiently KO. And with Blizzard already scaring away any Grass-types from switching in on Abomasnow to absorb Leech Seed, Abomasnow is free to start spreading Toxic on the opponent's team if your team lacks Toxic Spikes support. Finally, Focus Blast or Hidden Power Fighting can be considered in the last slot as well to take on other Ice-types and Registeel, though added protection from attacks or a priority move in Ice Shard is preferable.</p>

<p>Unfortunately, Abomasnow was cursed with a weakness to Stealth Rock, which chips away 25% of its health upon switching in. To prevent this, a Rapid Spin user, such as Cryogonal, is recommeneded. Cryogonal also benefits from the hail as it can spam 100% accurate Blizzards. Claydol is another decent choice as it can switch into the Fighting- and Rock-type moves at Abomasnow, and can set up Stealth Rock for your team.</p>

<p>Teammates that benefit from the hail are ideal partners, making Glaceon, Walrein, Cryogonal, and Rotom-F excellent partners for this set. Abomasnow also appreciates support in the form of Toxic Spikes, which help it wear down Pokemon who are immune to Leech Seed or hail. Roserade and Nidoqueen are both good options, as are Drapion and Scolipede. Pokemon who can switch into Abomasnow's weaknesses are helpful, making Lanturn an ideal teammate. Lanturn can switch into Steel-, Flying-, and Fire-type moves aimed at Abomasnow, and it can support its teammates with Heal Bell. Chandelure is another great choice as it can switch into Fire- and Fighting-type moves aimed at Abomasnow, and use its STAB moves to get past opposing Ice-types that get in Abomasnow's way.</p>

[SET]
name: Choice Scarf
move 1: Blizzard
move 2: Giga Drain
move 3: Focus Blast
move 4: Hidden Power Rock
item: Choice Scarf
nature: Timid
evs: 16 HP / 12 Def / 252 SpA / 228 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>When utilizing a Choice Scarf, Abomasnow's lackluster Speed is raised to usable levels, turning it into a decent revenge killer. With hail on the battlefield, Abomasnow has the ability to KO many Pokemon, without the worry of Focus Sash spoiling its fun. Be careful when using this set, however, because one wrong move could be game-changing. Blizzard is given a nifty accuracy boost in the hail, making it very powerful as well as reliable. Giga Drain provides a secondary STAB move, and also helps Abomasnow recover any damage sustained from entry hazards. Focus Blast is used to hit Steel-types who resist Abomasnow's STAB moves, while Hidden Power Rock hits Fire- and Flying-types.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>228 Speed EVs and a Choice Scarf allow Abomasnow to reach 351 Speed, which is enough to outrun positive natured Archeops. Maximum Special Attack investment lets Abomasnow deal as much damage as possible, while the remaining EVs are placed into HP and Defense for additional bulk. 16 HP EVs allow Abomasnow to reach 325 HP, which means it won't faint upon a fourth switch in to Stealth Rock. The remaining 12 EVs are placed into Defense to help Abomasnow absorb priority moves. Alternatively, you could place the remaining EVs into Attack and use either Earthquake or Focus Punch; the former hits Fire-types super effectively, while the latter deals a lot of damage to Chansey and Clefable. Unfortunately, Abomasnow is still too slow to outrun Pokemon with a Speed stat of 361, such as Raikou, Ambipom, and Azelf.</p>

<p>Stealth Rock is always a thorn in Abomasnow's side, so a Rapid Spinner should always be present on your team especially since this set will be switching more than usual. Although it shares the same weaknesses as Abomasnow, Cryogonal makes an excellent Rapid Spin user thanks to its access to Recover and immunity to both types of Spikes and hail damage. Hitmontop is another great choice as it can switch into the Rock-type moves aimed at Abomasnow, not to mention it poses a large threat to many Pokemon in the tier. Finally, Blastoise can be used as it resists Fire-type moves, and can take on common threats to hail teams, such as Hippopotas and Chandelure.</p>

<p>Due to this set's offensive nature, entry hazard support is very helpful. Donphan makes an excellent partner, as it can set up Stealth Rock, remove hazards with Rapid Spin, and resists the Rock-type moves aimed at Abomasnow. Froslass is another good option as it has high Speed, access to Spikes, and an immunity to Fighting-type attacks. Defensive Pokemon who can switch into Abomasnow's weaknesses are helpful as well, making Quagsire, Rotom-H, and Golurk ideal teammates.</p>

[SET]
name: Swords Dance
move 1: Swords Dance
move 2: Ice Shard
move 3: Wood Hammer
move 4: Earthquake / Ice Punch
item: Life Orb / Leftovers / Expert Belt
nature: Jolly / Adamant
evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Although it is uncommon, this set carries the surprise factor, as most opponents will expect Abomasnow to be firing off its STAB Blizzard. This set turns Abomasnow into a formidable physical sweeper, utilizing Ice Shard to overcome its poor Speed, and physical attacks to hit hard after a Swords Dance boost. Wood Hammer is used for seconday STAB, and can break through bulky Water-types such as suicine; however, Wood Hammer causes a lot of recoil damage, so don't expect Abomasnow to last long after using it a few times. Earthquake can take out opposing Steel-types that lack priority attempting to wall Abomasnow.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EVs on this set are fairly simple: maximize Abomasnow's Attack and Speed. This allows Abomasnow to deal as much damage as possible after a Swords Dance, and tie with base 60 Speed Pokemon such as Empoleon and Porygon2. A Naive nature may be used with Hidden Power Fire or Blizzard, though it's generally pointless as it forces Abomasnow to split its attacking stats, which makes it significantly weaker.</p>

<p>Pokemon who can switch into Abomasnow's weaknesses make great partners. Chandelure can switch into Fighting- and Fire-type attacks aimed at Abomasnow, and can defeat the Steel-types that wall Abomasnow. Empoleon can switch into Rock- and Fire-type moves, and can break through opponents such as Aggron and Arcanine. Of course, Rapid Spin support is recommended due to Abomasnow's typing, and this can be provided by Donphan, Cryogonal, or Hitmontop.</p>

<p>Entry hazards are also helpful as they help Abomasnow break through a weakened team. Roserade can set up Toxic Spikes, Froslass can set up Spikes, and Donphan can set up Stealth Rock. A Pokemon who can switch into Will-O-Wisp is helpful, just in case Abomasnow encounters Dusknoir, Rotom-H, Chandelure, or other Pokemon with the ability to burn it. Altaria is a good teammate as it can switch into Fire- and Fighting-type moves, and its ability, Natural Cure, means it doesn't mind being inflicted with status. Magic Guard Clefable is in the same boat, not to mention it can wall most of the specially-based Fire-types that threaten Abomasnow.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Abomasnow's movepool is surprisingly large, and there are a variety of options which haven't been discussed in the above sets. Abomasnow's offensive options include Shadow Ball, Avalanche, Outrage, Water Pulse, and Brick Break; while these moves have their uses, they don't provide Abomasnow with any extra coverage, and they're all highly situational. Abomasnow may abuse Toxic in order to wear down Pokemon such as Snorlax and Cresselia, and Rest can be used in tandem with Sleep Talk, which provides Abomasnow with a reliable recovery method and turns it into a great status absorber. Abomasnow may utilize a Choice Band set, though without Blizzard, Abomasnow becomes inferior to a lot of other physical sweepers in the tier. Finally, Abomasnow can use a Life Orb with its decent mixed offensive stats, though it fails to cover up gaping holes in whichever stat it has to lower.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Chansey is one of the best counters to Abomasnow as it takes a pittance from Blizzard, has reliable recovery in Softboiled and Wish, and it can wear down Abomasnow with Toxic or Seismic Toss. Just watch out for Leech Seed, as Chansey's high HP means that Abomasnow will be recovering a lot more HP every turn. Fire-types such as Arcanine and Houndoom also fare well; they resist both of Abomasnow's STAB moves, have massive attacking stats, and can burn it to a crisp with their super effective STAB moves. Registeel and Escavalier take little damage from any of Abomasnow's moves, have decent defensive stats, and can hit it super effectively with Iron Head and Megahorn, respectively. Umbreon, Snorlax, and Spiritomb are all good choices thanks to their high Special Defense stats, and they all have good moves which with to set up on Abomasnow. Cobalion is an excellent counter as its defensive stats are above average; it has an excellent defensive typing, and STAB moves which will eliminate Abomasnow before it has chance to attack. Hippopotas will remove Abomasnow's hail and replaces it with sandstorm, defeating the purpose of using Abomasnow. Stealth Rock is a major thorn in Abomasnow's side, so do everything you can to ensure it's on the field. Abomasnow isn't difficult to beat; just target one of its weaknesses and hit it as hard and as fast as you can. Abomasnow isn't going to be outrunning much, as it has a measly 60 base Speed.</p>

[Dream World]

<p>Abomasnow receives Soundproof from the Dream World, though it's completely pointless as Abomasnow's sole purpose is to provide its teammates with hail support.</p>

Why do you have 2 choice sets (I doubt Choice Band or Choice Specs are effective items).
Perhaps you could mention an SD, he gets good enough move coverage to abuse it (the low speed could let him act as a Trick Room sweeper or something).

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Why do you have 2 choice sets (I doubt Choice Band or Choice Specs are effective items).
Perhaps you could mention an SD, he gets good enough move coverage to abuse it (the low speed could let him act as a Trick Room sweeper or something).
Choice Specs 100% accurate Blizzard should be feared. While I do love the idea of a Choice Banded Ice Shard, it's probably not a viable set to use. I've narrowed it down to Choice Specs for now.

The mixed attacker set won't be very useful without Choice Scarf so merge those two
Good advice. Done.

Well, I've fleshed out the sets a bit more! I'm completely open to whatever you guys want to add or fix. I'm sure that my EVs could use some adjusting or some slashes could be rearranged. If a QC wants to start looking into this, they're more than welcome too! Thanks.

Why a Sassy nature for the first set? With two physical moves you can avoid the Speed drop and use a Careful nature instead. Also, I think Focus Punch deserves a mention on the first set. At least in AC. It can help with opposing Abomasnow and Registeel and other things that resist Blizzard. Of course, then you would use a Sassy nature. The only problem is that you're then walled by Slowbro/king. And Qwilfish and Thick Fat Grumpig.

breh

強いだね
for scarf:

make the nature timid (abomasnow gets little mileage from EQ and wood hammer is redundant)

lower the speed to 228 (outspeed the odd archeops; espeon will be banned and outspeeding froslass is pretty useless), 224 (outspeed durant), 216 (outspeed cobalion), or run modest (outspeed base 100s, aka bandraptor, LO victini, etc.)

the set should be giga drain/blizzard/focus blast/filler (toxic, hidden power fire, shadow ball (for victini), and ice shard but run hasty)

for scarf:

make the nature timid (abomasnow gets little mileage from EQ and wood hammer is redundant)

lower the speed to 228 (outspeed the odd archeops; espeon will be banned and outspeeding froslass is pretty useless), 224 (outspeed durant), 216 (outspeed cobalion), or run modest (outspeed base 100s, aka bandraptor, LO victini, etc.)

the set should be giga drain/blizzard/focus blast/filler (toxic, hidden power fire, shadow ball (for victini), and ice shard but run hasty)
I tend to agree. Scarf will more than likely be switching in and out pretty often and with a weakness to Stealth Rock, Wood Hammer won't be doing Abomasnow any favors. However, I say no to Ice Shard on a Scarf set. It's gonna do diddly squat to the things you actually want to out-prioritize. Also, if not running HP Fire, you may want to mention HP Fighting because people hate Focus Miss.

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I've added in all of those suggestions. I'll make sure to mention the Speed tiers more specifically on the Choice Scarf set.

I feel that HP Fire is really unnecessary in UU. The only steel threat that I've met up with that resists Abomasnow's STABs are Registeel, who is taken out just as well with Focus Blast / HP Fighting.

This is ready for QC checks, as far as I'm aware! I'm gonna refrain from doing the write-up until the analysis is approved. That way, less has to be redone and more time is saved.

Moo

Professor
is an Artist Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Imo the Specs set should look like this:

[SET]
name: Choice Specs
move 3: Hidden Power Rock
move 4: Focus Blast / Focus Punch
item: Choice Specs
nature: Modest / Mild
evs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD

Abomasnow has an awful Speed stat, and can't really outspeed anything notable, so it's best to just put the investment into HP. 248 is an SR number, so 8 go into SpDef. Hidden Power Ground is an OK choice, as it hits Fire- and Steel-types, but I think Hidden Power Rock would be better, simply because it lets you hit all Fire-types, including Rotom-H. Steel-type Pokemon get demolished by Focus Blast anyway (Why slash Hidden Power Fighting on the set when it has Focus Blast?). Focus Blast takes the last slot because it can deal massive damage to Steel-types, which can switch in on the rest of the attacks. I think a Fighting-type attack is much more important than Shadow Ball, which only hits Ghosts, which will take massive damage from Blizzard anyway. Focus Punch can be used to Chansey, but I'd take it off if it gets banned.

Get rid of Hidden Power Fighting from the Choice Scarf set. Sure, it has perfect accuracy, but Focus Blast is almost twice as powerful, and is needed to hit Steel-types, which are extremely bulky (Empoleon, Registeel). Get rid of Toxic too, it's an awful move to be locked into. Toxic is mainly used on physical attackers, as a lure for bulky Water-types, which they can't touch. However, Abomasnow can demolish them with Giga Drain, and doesn't need it. Also I think Hidden Power Rock should replace Hidden Power Fire. Hidden Power Fire only hits Grass-types, and Abomasnow has STAB 100% accuracy Blizzard. It also hits Bug-, and Ice-types, so there really is no loss. Still think Shadow Ball shouldn't be there. Mention that Scarf Abomasnow can't revenge kill Base 115 Speed Pokemon (Azelf, Raikou). Even with max Speed it is still outpaced by one point, lol.

Mention Fighters to destroy Chansey. Mention Spinners on all sets because of Abomasnow's big Stealth Rock weakness (and hail teams in general). Hitmontop ticks both of those boxes. Rotom-F can abuse Hail fairly well, as can Mamoswine, Walrein, and Froslass. Nidoqueen is also a good teammate to take Fighting-type attacks and set up Toxic Spikes.

Birkal

We have the technology.
I've updated to Moo's post! I've tested around with Hidden Power Rock and found it to indeed be useful. I guess I just haven't encountered many Rotom-H!

I left Shadow Ball on the Scarf set because it hits harder than Hidden Power Rock on the likes of Alakazam, Victini, and Cofagrigus. If it is really a competitive "no-no", then I guess I can take it off.

I've also beefed up the bullet points under each section and added OO and C&C. Again, if you have any good teammate ideas or moves that you'd like to be utilized, let me know!

Moo

Professor
is an Artist Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Alakazam is terribly fragile and dies to Blizzard. Cofagrigus has awful Special Defense. Blizzard hits both of them harder anyway (160 vs 180). As for Victini, the 10 base power doesn't make a difference. It's 2HKOed by Hidden Power Rock after Stealth Rock anyway, and Shadow Ball is the same, making it uneeded. It really isn't needed, and even if it was, it's very niche.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Specs and Swords Dance are gonna get denied by me. I've only seen a couple thus far while playing, and they didn't do well at all.

As for the SubSeed set, I'd rather make the EVs 252 HP / 252 SpD. Abomasnow shouldn't be trying to switch in on really any physical attacker, since they're bound to carry a Fighting/Rock/Steel/Flying move of some kind. While on the special side he resists Thunderbolt and Surf and is neutral to Ice Beam. All the better to annoy the crap out of bulky Waters.

So yeah, move the last two sets to OO.

QC 1/3

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Looks good.

I will defend up Swords Dance on Abomasnow though. Its ridiculously good / unexpected is surprisingly hard to wall and it cleans up lategame too. As a bonus it can even bypass most of its conventional counters.

QC APPROVED (2/3)

Birkal

We have the technology.
Sorry, this is not dead! It will be updating with QC's remarks shortly. I'll then get straight to writing.

Frankly with Hippowdon in the tier you have to be *VERY* careful with the choice sets. At this point I am heavily skeptical of any set not running Leftovers, unless for some reason your team isn't a hail team but has Abomasnow.

k

Add
Remove
Comment

[Overview]

<p>Abomasnow is one of two Pokemon with the unique ability Snow Warning, the other being its pre-evolution, Snover What makes Abomasnow unique is its ability, Snow Warning. Snow Warning summons a permanent hailstorm upon entry, which makes Abomasnow it a perfect team player for Ice-types, especially and those with abilities that benefit from hail, such as Ice Body and Snow Cloak. Permanent hail also gives Abomasnow a 100% accurate Blizzard, and with the gaining a boost from STAB, it becomes very powerful. In addition to Blizzard, Abomasnow has a very wide offensive movepool, which consists of moves such as Wood Hammer, Earthquake, Focus Blast, Hidden Power, and Shadow Ball. That's not all, however, Abomasnow also possesses a few useful support options which include, but are is not limited to: (add colon) Leech Seed, Toxic, Light Screen, and GrassWhistle. Abomasnow's defenses are also above average, an it carries resistances to common Water-, Grass-, Electric-, and Ground-type moves, making it easier to switch in and activate Snow Warning. Unfortunately, Abomasnow's fun ends here; its typing leaves it weak to common Fire-, Rock-, and Fighting-type moves, with seven weaknesses total to name a few, and it has a nasty weakness to Stealth Rock, losing 25% of its health upon switching in. Abomasnow's Speed isn't anything crowd-pleasing (add hyphen) either, and it's often left in the dust behind faster Pokemon in the tier. If you can use Abomasnow for its advantages, namely Snow Warning, and support it correctly, it can be becomes a great asset on your team.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This is undoubtedly one of the most effective sets Abomasnow can run. Leech Seed, combined with an ability which summons permanent hail, (remove comma) and Abomasnow's decent defensive prowess great tanking ability, means it can take on a defensive role. Resistances to common Water-, Electric-, Grass-, and Ground-type moves give it plenty of opportunities to switch in, activate Snow Warning, and start wearing the opponent down with Leech Seed and passive hail damage. Blizzard is an excellent choice as it benefits from the hail, giving it 100% accuracy, and with STAB, it has receives 180 Base Power. Protect makes it easier to predict the opponent's next move, and it also gives Abomasnow an extra turn of Leftovers and Leech Seed recovery. Wood Hammer and Ice Shard can be used on a physically-orientated oriented set, though Wood Hammer's recoil, (remove comma) and Ice Shard's low Base Power make it an inferior choice.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>This set is designed to stick around as long as possible, (remove comma) and to annoy the opponent until they start ripping their hair out. The EVs attemp to balance Abomasnow's defenses, and maximum HP gives it plenty of bulk. If you require more EVs in a particular defensive stat, feel free to change them to suit your needs. A Calm nature should used alongside Blizzard and Protect, while a Careful nature should be used with Wood Hammer and Ice Shard. Alternatively, a Sassy nature can be used with a combination of Blizzard, Wood Hammer, and Ice Shard, which takes advantage of permanent hail, as well as a powerful physical move, or a priority move in prioritized Ice Shard. Focus Blast or Hidden Power Fighting can be considered in the last slot to take on other Ice-types, and Registeel, though added protection from attacks, (remove comma) or a priority move in Ice Shard is preferable. (add period)</p>

<p>Unfortunately, Abomasnow was cursed with a weakness to Stealth Rock, which chips chipping away 25% of its health upon switching in. To prevent this, a Rapid Spin user, such as Cryogonal, (remove comma) is recommeneded. Cryogonal also benefits from the hail as it can spam 100% accurate Blizzards. Claydol is another decent choice as it can switch into the Fighting- and Rock-type moves at Abomasnow, and it can set up Stealth Rock for your team.</p>

<p>Teammates that benefit from the hail are ideal partners, making Glaceon, Walrein, Cryogonal, and Rotom-F excellent partners for this set. Abomasnow also appreciates support in the form of Toxic Spikes, which help it wear down Pokemon who are immune to Leech Seed or hail. Roserade and Nidoqueen are both good options, as well as Garbodor, Drapion, and Scolipede. Pokemon who can switch into Abomasnow's many weaknesses are helpful, making Lanturn an ideal teammate. Lanturn can switch into the Steel-, Flying-, and Fire-type moves aimed at Abomasnow, and it can support its teammates with Heal Bell. Chandelure is another great choice as it can switch into the Fire- and Fighting-type moves aimed at Abomasnow, and use its STAB moves to get past opposing Ice-types that get in its way.</p>

[SET]
Name: Choice Scarf
move 4: Hidden Power Rock / Shadow Ball

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>When utilizing a Choice Scarf, Abomasnow's lackluster Speed is raised to usable levels, turning it into a decent revenge killer. With Snow Warning activated, Abomasnow has the ability to KO many Pokemon, without the worry of Focus Sash spoiling its fun. Be careful when using this set, however, because one wrong move would be game-changing (add hyphen). Blizzard is given a nifty accuracy boost in the hail, making it very powerful, and also very as well as reliable. Giga Drain provides secondary STAB, and it also helps Abomasnow recover any damage sustained from entry hazards. Focus Blast is used to hit Steel-types who resist Abomasnow's STAB moves, (remove comma) and Hidden Power Rock hits Fire- and Flying-types, and Shadow Ball deals more damage to the likes of Uxie and Cofagrigus. (STAB Blizzard hits both Psychic- and Ghost-types harder than a super effective Shadow Ball - 160 BP vs. 180 BP)</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>228 EVs and a Choice Scarf allow Abomasnow to reach 351 Speed, which is enough to outrun positive natured Archeops. Maximum Special Attack deals as much damage as possible, while the remaining EVs are placed into HP and Defense for bulk. 16 HP EVs allow Abomasnow to reach 325 HP, which means it won't faint upon a fourth switch-in to Stealth Rock. The remaining 12 EVs are placed into Defense to help Abomasnow absorb priority moves. Alternatively, you could place the remaining EVs into Attack and use Earthquake or Focus Punch; the former hits Fire-types super effectively, while the latter deals a lot of damage to Chansey and Clefable. Unfortunately, Abomasnow is still too slow to outrun Pokemon with a Speed stat of 361, such as Raikou, Ambipom, and Azelf.</p>

<p>Stealth Rock is always a thorn in Abomasnow's side, so a Rapid Spinner should always be present on your team considered, especially since this set will be switching more than usual. Although it shares the same weaknesses as Abomasnow, Cryogonal makes an excellent Rapid Spin user thanks to its access to Recover, (remove comma) and immunity to both types of Spikes and to hail damage. Hitmontop is another great choice as it can switch into the Rock-type moves aimed at Abomasnow, and it poses a large high threat to many Pokemon in the tier. Finally, Blastoise can be used as it resists Fire-type moves, and it can take on common threats (such as?) to hail teams.</p>

<p>Due to the set's offensive nature, support from entry hazards support is very also helpful. Donphan makes an excellent partner, (add comma) as it can set up Stealth Rock, remove hazards with Rapid Spin, and it resists the Rock-type moves aimed at Abomasnow. Froslass is another good option as it has high Speed, access to Spikes, and an immunity to Fighting-type attacks. Defensive Pokemon who can switch into Abomasnow's weaknesses are helpfull to as well, making Quagsire, Rotom-H, and Golurk ideal teammates.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Although it is uncommon, this set carries the surprise factor, as most opponent's (remove apostrophe) will expect Abomasnow to be firing off its STAB Blizzard. This set turns Abomasnow into a formidable physical sweeper, utilizing Ice Shard to overcome its poor Speed, and physical attacks to hit hard after a Swords Dance boost. Wood Hammer is used for seconday STAB, and can break through bulky Water-types such as suicine; however, Wood Hammer causes a lot of recoil damage, so don't expect Abomasnow to last long after using it a few times. Earthquake can take out opposing Steel-types that attempt to wall Abomasnow, while Ice Punch is a more powerful STAB option, though it doesn't have without priority.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EVs on this set are fairly simple:; (add colon, remove semicolon) maximize Abomasnow's (add apostrophe) Attack and Speed. This allows Abomasnow to deal as much damage as possible after a Swords Dance, and makes it tie with base 60 Speed Pokemon such as Empoleon and Porygon2. A Naive nature may be used with Hidden Power Fire or Blizzard, though it's generally pointless as it forces Abomasnow to split its attacking stats, which and makes it significantly weaker.</p>

<p>Pokemon who can switch into Abomasnow's weaknesses make great partners. Chandelure can switch into the Fighting- and Fire-type attacks aimed at Abomasnow, and it can defeat the Steel-types that wall Abomasnow. Empoleon can switch into the Rock- and Fire-type moves, and it can break through opponents such as Aggron and Arcanine. Of course, Rapid Spin support is recommended due to Abomasnow's typing, and this can be provided by Donphan, Cryogonal, and Hitmontop.</p>

<p>Entry hazards are also helpful as they help Abomasnow break through a weakened team. Roserade can set up Toxic Spikes, Froslass can set up Spikes, and Donphan can set up Stealth Rock. A Pokemon who can switch into Will-O-Wisp is helpful, just in case Abomasnow encounters Dusknoir, Rotom-H, or Chandelure, or other Pokemon with the ability to burn it. Altaria is a good teammate as it can switch into Fire- and Fighting-type moves, and its ability, Natural Cure, means it doesn't mind being inflicted with status. Magic Guard Clefable is on the same boat, and it can wall most of the specially-based Fire-types that threaten Abomasnow.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Abomasnow's movepool is surprisingly large, and there are a variety of options which haven't been discussed in the above sets. Abomasnow's offensive options include Shadow Ball, Avalanche, Outrage, Water Pulse, and Brick Break; while these moves are all very powerful, they don't provide Abomasnow with any extra coverage, and they're all highly situational. Abomasnow may abuse Toxic in order to wear down Pokemon such as Snorlax and Cresselia, while Rest can be used in tandem with Sleep Talk, which provides Abomasnow with a reliable recovery method, and turns it into a great status absorber. Abomasnow may utilize a Choice Band set, though without Blizzard, Abomasnow becomes inferior to a lot of other physical sweepers in the tier. Finally, Abomasnow can use a Life Orb with its decent mixed offensive stats, though it fails to cover up gaping holes in whichever stat it has to lower.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Chansey is one of the best counters to Abomasnow as it takes a pittance from Blizzard, it has reliable recovery in Softboiled and Wish, and it can wear down Abomasnow with Toxic or Seismic Toss. Just watch out for Leech Seed, since Chansey's high HP means that Abomasnow will be recovering a lot more HP every turn. Fire-types such as Arcanine and Houndoom also fare well; they resist both of Abomasnow's STAB moves, they have massive attacking stats, and they can burn it to a crisp with their super effective STAB moves. Registeel and Escavalier take little damage from any of Abomasnow's moves, they have decent defensive stats, and they can hit it super effectively with Iron Head and Megahorn, respectively. Umbreon, Snorlax, and Spiritomb are all good choices thanks to their high Special Defense stats, and they all have good move options to set up on Abomasnow. Cobalion is an excellent counter as its defensive stats are above average, it has an excellent defensive typing, and its STAB moves will eliminate remove Abomasnow before it has chance to attack. Hippopotas will remove Abomasnow's hail and replaces it with sandstorm, defeating the purpose of using Abomasnow. Stealth Rock is a major thorn in Abomasnow's side, so do everything you can to ensure it's on the field. Abomasnow isn't isn't difficult to beat, just target one of its weaknesses and hit it as hard and as fast as you can. Abomasnow isn't going to be outrunning much, as it has a measly 60 base Speed.</p>

[Dream World]

<p>Abomasnow receives Soundproof from the Dream World, though it's completely pointless as Abomasnow's sole only purpose is to provide its teammates with hail.</p>

GP 1/2

Abomasnow's offensive options include Shadow Ball, Avalanche, Outrage, Water Pulse, and Brick Break; while these moves are all very powerful, they don't provide Abomasnow with any extra coverage, and they're all highly situational.

I know this is pretty nitpicky, but I wouldn't consider Shadow Ball, Water Pulse, or Brick Break to be "very powerful."

Komodo

Huff
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
"while these moves have their uses"

I only thought of powerful when referring to Outrage and Avalanche really, but yeah, makes sense.

Add Remove

[Overview]

<p>Abomasnow is one of two Pokemon with the unique ability Snow Warning, the other being its pre-evolution, Snover. Snow Warning summons a permanent hailstorm upon entry, which makes Abomasnow a perfect team player for Ice-types, especially those with abilities that benefit from hail, such as Ice Body and Snow Cloak. Permanent hail also gives Abomasnow a 100% accurate Blizzard, and with the boost from STAB, it becomes very powerful. In addition to Blizzard, Abomasnow has a very wide offensive movepool, which consists of moves such as Wood Hammer, Earthquake, Focus Blast, Hidden Power, and Shadow Ball. That's not all, however, Abomasnow also possesses a few useful support options which include, but are not limited to: Leech Seed, Toxic, Light Screen, and GrassWhistle. Abomasnow's defenses are also above average, and it carries resistances to common Water-, Grass-, Electric-, and Ground-type moves, making it easier to switch in, (comma) and consequently activate Snow Warning. Unfortunately, Abomasnow's fun ends here; its typing leaves it weak to common Fire-, Rock-, and Fighting-type moves, with seven weaknesses in total, and gives it has a nasty weakness to Stealth Rock, causing Abomasnow to loseing 25% of its health upon switching in. Abomasnow's Speed isn't anything crowd-pleasing either, and it's often left in the dust by behind faster Pokemon in the tier. If you can use Abomasnow for its advantages, namely Snow Warning, and support it correctly, it can be a great asset on your team.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This is undoubtedly one of the most effective sets Abomasnow can run. Leech Seed, combined with an ability which summons permanent hail and Abomasnow's decent defensive prowess, means it can take on a defensive role. Resistances to common Water-, Electric-, Grass-, and Ground-type moves give it plenty of opportunities to switch in, activate Snow Warning, and start wearing the opponent down with Leech Seed and passive hail damage. Blizzard is an excellent choice as it benefits from the hail, giving it 100% accuracy, and with STAB, it has 180 Base Power. Protect makes it easier to predict the opponent's next move, and it also gives Abomasnow an extra turn of Leftovers and Leech Seed recovery. Wood Hammer and Ice Shard can be used on a physically oriented set, though Wood Hammer's recoil and Ice Shard's low Base Power make it them an inferior choices.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>This set is designed to let Abomasnow stick around as long as possible and annoy the opponent until they start ripping their hair out. The defensive EVs attempt to balance Abomasnow's defenses, and maximum HP investment gives it plenty of bulk. If you require more EVs in a particular defensive stat, feel free to change them to suit your needs. A Calm nature should used alongside Blizzard and Protect, while a Careful nature should be used with Wood Hammer and Ice Shard. Alternatively, a Sassy nature can be used with a combination of Blizzard, Wood Hammer, and Ice Shard, which takes advantage of permanent hail, as well as a powerful physical move, or a priority move in Ice Shard. Focus Blast or Hidden Power Fighting can be considered in the last slot to take on other Ice-types, (comma) and Registeel, though added protection from attacks or a priority move in Ice Shard is preferable.</p>

<p>Unfortunately, Abomasnow was cursed with a weakness to Stealth Rock, which chips away 25% of its health upon switching in. To prevent this, a Rapid Spin user, such as Cryogonal is recommeneded. Cryogonal also benefits from the hail as it can spam 100% accurate Blizzards. Claydol is another decent choice as it can switch into the Fighting- and Rock-type moves at Abomasnow, and it can set up Stealth Rock for your team.</p>

<p>Teammates that benefit from the hail are ideal partners, making Glaceon, Walrein, Cryogonal, and Rotom-F excellent partners for this set. Abomasnow also appreciates support in the form of Toxic Spikes, which help it wear down Pokemon who are immune to Leech Seed or hail. Roserade and Nidoqueen are both good options, as are well as Garbodor, Drapion, and Scolipede. Pokemon who can switch into Abomasnow's weaknesses are helpful, making Lanturn an ideal teammate. Lanturn can switch into Steel-, Flying-, and Fire-type moves aimed at Abomasnow, and it can support its teammates with Heal Bell. Chandelure is another great choice as it can switch into Fire- and Fighting-type moves aimed at Abomasnow, and use its STAB moves to get past opposing Ice-types that get in Abomasnow's its way.</p>

[SET]
Name: Choice Scarf
move 4: Hidden Power Rock

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>When utilizing a Choice Scarf, Abomasnow's lackluster Speed is raised to usable levels, turning it into a decent revenge killer. With hail on the battlefield Snow Warning activated, Abomasnow has the ability to KO many Pokemon, without the worry of Focus Sash spoiling its fun. Be careful when using this set, however, because one wrong move wcould be game-changing. Blizzard is given a nifty accuracy boost in the hail, making it very powerful as well as reliable. Giga Drain provides a secondary STAB move, and it also helps Abomasnow recover any damage sustained from entry hazards. Focus Blast is used to hit Steel-types who resist Abomasnow's STAB moves, (comma) while and Hidden Power Rock hits Fire- and Flying-types.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>228 Speed EVs and a Choice Scarf allow Abomasnow to reach 351 Speed, which is enough to outrun positive natured Archeops. Maximum Special Attack investment lets Abomasnow deals as much damage as possible, while the remaining EVs are placed into HP and Defense for additional bulk. 16 HP EVs allow Abomasnow to reach 325 HP, which means it won't faint upon a fourth switch-(hyphen)in to into Stealth Rock. The remaining 12 EVs are placed into Defense to help Abomasnow absorb priority moves. Alternatively, you could place the remaining EVs into Attack and use either Earthquake or Focus Punch; the former hits Fire-types super effectively, while the latter deals a lot of damage to Chansey and Clefable. Unfortunately, Abomasnow is still too slow to outrun Pokemon with a Speed stat of 361, such as Raikou, Ambipom, and Azelf.</p>

<p>Stealth Rock is always a thorn in Abomasnow's side, so a Rapid Spinner should always be present on your team, (comma) especially since this set will be switching more than usual. Although it shares the same weaknesses as Abomasnow, Cryogonal makes an excellent Rapid Spin user thanks to its access to Recover and immunity to both types of Spikes and hail damage. Hitmontop is another great choice as it can switch into the Rock-type moves aimed at Abomasnow, and not to mention it poses a large threat to many Pokemon in the tier. Finally, Blastoise can be used as it resists Fire-type moves, and it can take on common threats to hail teams, such as Hippopotas and Chandelure.</p>

<p>Due to this set's offensive nature, entry hazard support is very helpful. Donphan makes an excellent partner, as it can set up Stealth Rock, remove hazards with Rapid Spin, and it resists the Rock-type moves aimed at Abomasnow. Froslass is another good option as it has high Speed, access to Spikes, and an immunity to Fighting-type attacks. Defensive Pokemon who can switch into Abomasnow's weaknesses are helpful as well, making Quagsire, Rotom-H, and Golurk ideal teammates.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Although it is uncommon, this set carries the surprise factor, as most opponents will expect Abomasnow to be firing off its STAB Blizzard. This set turns Abomasnow into a formidable physical sweeper, utilizing Ice Shard to overcome its poor Speed, and as well as other physical attacks to hit hard after a Swords Dance boost. Wood Hammer is used for seconday STAB, and can break through bulky Water-types such as sSuicine; however, Wood Hammer causes a lot of recoil damage, so don't expect Abomasnow to last long after using it a few times. Earthquake can take out opposing Steel-types that lack priority and attempt to wall Abomasnow, (comma) without priority.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EVs on this set are fairly simple: maximize Abomasnow's Attack and Speed. This allows Abomasnow to deal as much damage as possible after a Swords Dance, and tie with base 60 Speed Pokemon such as Empoleon and Porygon2. A Naive nature may be used with Hidden Power Fire or Blizzard, though it's generally pointless as it forces Abomasnow to split its attacking stats, which makes it significantly weaker.</p>

<p>Pokemon who can switch into Abomasnow's weaknesses make great partners. Chandelure can switch into Fighting- and Fire-type attacks aimed at Abomasnow, and it can defeat the Steel-types that wall Abomasnow. Empoleon can switch into Rock- and Fire-type moves, and it can break through opponents such as Aggron and Arcanine. Of course, Rapid Spin support is recommended due to Abomasnow's typing, and this can be provided by Donphan, Cryogonal, or and Hitmontop.</p>

<p>Entry hazards are also helpful as they help Abomasnow break through a weakened team. Roserade can set up Toxic Spikes, Froslass can set up Spikes, and Donphan can set up Stealth Rock. A Pokemon who can switch into Will-O-Wisp is helpful, just in case Abomasnow encounters Dusknoir, Rotom-H, Chandelure, or other Pokemon with the ability to burn it. Altaria is a good teammate as it can switch into Fire- and Fighting-type moves, and its ability, Natural Cure, means it doesn't mind being inflicted with status. Magic Guard Clefable is in on the same boat, and not to mention it can wall most of the specially-based Fire-types that threaten Abomasnow.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Abomasnow's movepool is surprisingly large, and there are a variety of options which haven't been discussed in the above sets. Abomasnow's offensive options include Shadow Ball, Avalanche, Outrage, Water Pulse, and Brick Break; while these moves have their uses, they don't provide Abomasnow with any extra coverage, and they're all highly situational. Abomasnow may abuse Toxic in order to wear down Pokemon such as Snorlax and Cresselia, while and Rest can be used in tandem with Sleep Talk, which provides Abomasnow with a reliable recovery method, (comma) and turns it into a great status absorber. Abomasnow may utilize a Choice Band set, though without Blizzard, Abomasnow becomes inferior to a lot of other physical sweepers in the tier. Finally, Abomasnow can use a Life Orb with its decent mixed offensive stats, though it fails to cover up gaping holes in whichever stat it has to lower.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Chansey is one of the best counters to Abomasnow as it takes a pittance from Blizzard, it has reliable recovery in Softboiled and Wish, and it can wear down Abomasnow with Toxic or Seismic Toss. Just watch out for Leech Seed, since as Chansey's high HP means that Abomasnow will be recovering a lot more HP every turn. Fire-types such as Arcanine and Houndoom also fare well; they resist both of Abomasnow's STAB moves, they have massive attacking stats, and they can burn it to a crisp with their super effective STAB moves. Registeel and Escavalier take little damage from any of Abomasnow's moves, they have decent defensive stats, and they can hit it super effectively with Iron Head and Megahorn, respectively. Umbreon, Snorlax, and Spiritomb are all good choices thanks to their high Special Defense stats, and they all have good moves with which options to set up on Abomasnow. Cobalion is an excellent counter as its defensive stats are above average; (semicolon) , (comma) it also has an excellent defensive typing, and its STAB moves that will eliminate Abomasnow before it has chance to attack. Hippopotas will remove Abomasnow's hail and replaces it with sandstorm, defeating the purpose of using Abomasnow. Stealth Rock is a major thorn in Abomasnow's side, so do everything you can to ensure it's on the field. Abomasnow isn't isn't difficult to beat; (semicolon) , (comma) just target one of its weaknesses and hit it as hard and as fast as you can. Abomasnow isn't going to be outrunning much, as it has a measly 60 base Speed.</p>

[Dream World]

<p>Abomasnow receives Soundproof from the Dream World, though it's completely pointless as Abomasnow's sole purpose is to provide its teammates with hail support.</p>

GP Approved 2/2

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)