Poll: Would you still play in Smogon's OU if all perma-weather was banned?

Would you still play in Smogon's OU if all perma-weather was banned?

• Total voters

Woodchuck

actual cannibal
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Well, that's the question.
Would you still play in Smogon's OU if all perma-weather was banned?

It seems like there's been more support for banning all weathers altogether than there was back before Aldaron's Proposal. What's your opinion?
Note: This poll is not asking if you want to ban all weathers. This poll is asking if you would still play OU at Smogon or if you would move to another server with a metagame that has weather.

EDIT: The main point of this poll is to try to answer any questions about "splitting the playerbase" were this ban to be made.
DOUBLE EDIT: If you hit "Other" it would be nice if you'd explain why.

I was actually wondering when someone would make this. Why didn't you add any polls though? That probably would've been revalent to get a good idea of what general community really thinks of the metagame. (Yes I have though of making this thread myself. :P) I would still play the metagame even if all perma-weather was banned. However, I only think Drizzle is broken so I wouldn't be as satisfied with the results.

Regardless of what the metagame is like, Smogon is the only place I'm actually challenged while laddering. I'd keep playing no matter what it was like, really.

I voted other.

I am over all disappointed with how the community has decided to ditch the idea of weather. I really enjoyed the idea of this generation having a thriving weather presence. I also never had problems with any specific weather. I feel that the community is whining too much and are much more willing to go back to what 4th gen was like, except with the introduction of a bunch of new pokemon.

That said, I would stick with Smogon, regardless. I have been following Smogon since 2007.

The "Other" that I voted for was in hope that if weather is banned, a separate tier could be formed in addition to this, one with weather, one with out. Much like clear skies, except opposite, obviously, as weatherless would most likely be the dominant tier.

Edit: In addition to this. I definitely feel that if 1 weather goes, all weather should go. I am not in the mood to have sun or sand dominate.

Woodchuck

actual cannibal
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Why not just make a poll? lol

And yes I would keep playing.
I was actually wondering when someone would make this. Why didn't you add any polls though? That probably would've been revalent to get a good idea of what general community really thinks of the metagame. (Yes I have though of making this thread myself. :P) I would still play the metagame even if all perma-weather was banned. However, I only think Drizzle is broken so I wouldn't be as satisfied with the results.
Poll's been added.

toshimelonhead

Honey Badger don't care.
is a Tiering Contributor
I'll continue to play Smogon OU no matter what the rules are. There isn't another comparable ladder out there. The competition on other servers simply isn't as good. Sure, I do play the other tiers, but it's cyclical. I might focus on one tier for two to three weeks, then switch to the next one. No single tier can provide infinite hours of gameplay. As for what OU entails, I didn't stop playing Standard OU after I couldn't play with some of the newer pokemon that I liked more. It wouldn't bother me if we had a complete non-weather OU if that is what the community wants.

Banning weather as a whole just leaves a bad taste in my mouth

There's a certain point at which banning crosses the Adherence, aspect Of our banning policy.

The metagame should adhere as closely as possible to the rules, mechanics, and spirit of the actual Pokemon game.

Probably. But to be honest I have been playing with sun, a lot, and can say its not cheap at all, you have to work to win. Rain is atleast arguable, since you can actually abuse it. Sand only has excadrill. And sun has ok abusers, that act as psuedo choice scarfs basically, and frail, average speed, fire abusers. Nothing special for any accept rain, which is easily countered. Hail is laughable usually.

I have to say, banning something because you don't like it seems like the wrong way to go. It sets up a precedence to where you end up with kakuna v. metapod battles.

I am over all disappointed with how the community has decided to ditch the idea of weather. I really enjoyed the idea of this generation having a thriving weather presence. I also never had problems with any specific weather. I feel that the community is whining too much and are much more willing to go back to what 4th gen was like, except with the introduction of a bunch of new pokemon.
This.
It reminds me of all the people who absolutely hated Super Smash Bros. Brawl compared to Melee because it introduced an air game. Yeah, basically it wasn't EXACTLY THE SAME as Melee + new characters, so all the old "pros" didn't move on.

I mean, all the old "pros" found a cop-out for not learning a new game. But whatever, if you don't have fun, what's the point I guess.

I never have problems dealing with weather, even when I never use one, but boy, sometimes I end bored to death, fighting almost the same goddamn team (with little changes) is very boring and annoying.
So I will not really like to ban weather but, if it happens, trust me that the metagame will be A LOT more fun to play, so I say: YES, I would still play it, probably even more, in fact I haven't played since a week ago when I faced 10 sun teams in a row, which is probably the hardest to counter without your own weather, Darmanitan Flare Blitz under the sun is just impossible to counter, and I always need to sacrifice something to kill it, and that's not fun at all.

I thought this poll was talking about an alternative tier, not banning weather in OU. Proposing a full weather ban in the standard OU metagame is just stupid, but the tier option should exist for players who would enjoy it more, since it's already seen sizable support as a concept and has already been shown to have a decent-sized player base with the Clear Skies tier on the beta server.

I voted Other, because it really depends on what banning "permanent weather" really means, as well as what happens to the metagame afterwards. If the ban is only for Drizzle and Drought, I'll probably just quit Pokemon altogether until something major in the metagame changes (like the release of a new game) - I have no desire to take part in a metagame that's trying to backpedal its way back to Generation 4.

If all weathers are banned, I'll probably wait a round or two before playing again, since taking weather out of the equation will probably cause several broken strategies to show themselves when they are being held back by the metagame at the moment. Stuff like SmashPass and Trick Room are strategies I much prefer seeing only once in a while, thank you very much. If the meta ever becomes interesting again, I'll probably come back.

I most likely wouldn't regularly play on any other server - none of them have the user base, the player quality, and the consistency of Smogon. I do test stuff on PO's server, but that's mostly just so I can get as many tests for basic flaws in my team as possible in the shortest amount of time - I don't expect to play good, engaging games, nor do I expect to avoid most weird, random gimmick sets/teams.

My troll team could probably thrive better if permaweather was banned. While it doesn't mind rain teams and trolls sun teams somewhat well, it struggles against Hail teams and is hopeless against Sandstorm teams.

Currently playing UU, planning to go to NU, where, hopefully, there will be no perma weather. If, however, permaweather will get banned, or a clear skies tier would exist, I would probably go back playing OU again.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)