Hardest video game level/boss you've ever faced

Fishy

tits McGee (๑˃̵ᴗ˂̵)
nephenee is the fucking best, get lost colonel_m!!! she was easily my MVP, next to Boyd and Soren I think.

uhhhh, I still haven't beaten Ocarina Of Time fully, when I owned the game I was like <10 years old, and was p terrified of certain aspects of it, like the music in dodongo's cavern or whatever, aaaaaa!!

i forget which dungeon it was, i think it was the 7th in Legend of Zelda - Oracles of Seasons (something I have yet to beat!) but there is a two-headed dragon thing that was seemingly impervious to all sorts of damage i tried to inflict upon it, and i can't even remember how i did manage to beat it, perhaps some bombs? it was a BITCH

Grandia II, the Core of Valmar. Oh God trying to beat that when I was 8 and had no idea about stat-ups or equipping skills or any other basic RPG strategies that one needs to defeat a game's ultimate boss. Finally beating it after literally weeks of attempts was SO SATISFYING.

Simple: Wizpig from Diddy Kong Racing (N64). I remember when I was like 8, I finally beat him, I was jumping for joy. Then I realized I had to race in space now and take him on again but with him on a freaking rocket this time. That's when I gave up, grew up, bought a DS, played Diddy Kong Racing DS and beat it all.

~ Aether Nexus

Have any of you played Banjo Tooie (sequel to Banjo Kazooie, both are the greatest Rareware games made)? MARY CANARY. 'Nuff said.

Bass

Brother in arms
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnus
Ninja Gaiden II for the Xbox 360. GRAAAH.

The hardest difficulty makes you want to just pull out your hair. You start off against enemies that are fully upgraded (pretty much end-game enemies on the easiest difficulty) with an HP bar so small that you get 2-hit. To make matters worse all enemies have exploding projectiles that disrupt any combo you are attempting and knock you to the ground unless you perform a dodge at the exact moment it explodes after it gets stuck in you (which still messes up any combo you are doing). And these are just the normal enemies! Not to mention bosses that you have to face while still fighting at least 4 fully upgraded ninjas with exploding shurikens.

But the hardest part is not the endgame boss I'd say, but a reoccuring boss that you face ~4 times throughout the campaign. He can pretty much block and deflect everything you throw at him unless you dodge his combo and hit him in the second he is vunerable after. Oh yeah he also has an attack that lunges across the arena and (usually) kills you in one hit by hitting you up in the air then spiraling down.

edit @:

Uhh... you weren't doing it right. You have your party tank do its job for while you can openly hit it, then button mash A on the ballista and the dragon can't even move to attack. If the tank is doing its job (which you can easily make it do with the commands thingy) it should be a piece of cake.
I have never played Ninja Gaiden II, but I do know that it is imfamous for having a boss that explodes the moment you defeat it.

I have however beaten the first Ninja Gaiden many times, including the highest difficulty (Master Ninja). As you said, on the highest difficulties, the bosses are often accompanied by lesser enemies, including those annoying ninjas with incendiary shuriken. Hardly any easy bosses in that game, though the worst one in particular was Alma, though still nothing compares to the fiend challenges on Master Ninja.

drcossack

I'm everywhere, you ain't never there
Cyber Peacock as Zero in Megaman X4 is also quite hard. There is no super-effective weapon, and dodging his attacks is extremely difficult even with both Kuuenbu and Hienkyaku.
Really? Magma Dragoon's weapon is SE against it...and you can easily beat Cyber Peacock without getting hit.

Personally, I found Magma Dragoon (as Zero) harder, as was the last part of the Sigma fight. When playing as Zero, MD has no weaknesses IIRC. Sigma isn't bad now - I can beat him easily, but back when I first played X4, I couldn't do it.

I just played Metroid Fusion again last week and this guy

WAS A TOTAL FUCKSTAIN.

I must have lost about a dozen times until I got his goddamn pattern down. I was also down a couple of Energy Tanks because this game is a shitty asshole about letting you explore sometimes and I forgot to look for them when I could have.

I also had a tough time with this boss-

But I really enjoyed this battle because it was so insane. The little flowers at the top of the pic keep shooting crap at you and knock you into the big flowers that damage you which are a BITCH to get out of sometimes. As the battle continues that moldy turd looking statue at far right starts shooting at you like crazy at different elevations. This took me about six tries.

At least this game's incarnation of Ridley was piss easy.
Ugh. Nightmare! I had played Metroid Other M and beaten it there first. I died a few times, but it wasn't that bad. The Fusion version, on the other hand...sdhfgshgfhsafdagsfdgasfdg! I died to that cocksucker AT LEAST 20 times. I hated that plant boss too.

My votes go to:

Hardest level: pretty much anything from the NES Ninja Gaiden for me. Jumps that feature enemies of doom, having to repeat an entire fucking level if any of the last 3 bosses kill you, etc. I've beaten it, but I had to continue to do so.

Level-wise, Ninja Turtles is definitely worse though. That game is just SADISTIC.

Bosses: Megaman 7 Wily - 'nuff said. Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep has Mysterious Figure - Rape Rope. FFIX: Ozma. FFV: Omega.

Have any of you played Banjo Tooie (sequel to Banjo Kazooie, both are the greatest Rareware games made)? MARY CANARY. 'Nuff said.
Ahh, I miss that game! It's been forever since I've gotten to play it, but I remember it being hard. Seems I got stuck at the Dinosaur level, and I never did get to beat it. :(

In DKC2 that part in Animal Antics where you're Squawks

In DKC3 the UNDERWATER LEVEL WITH REVERSED CONTROLS

In DKCR's Mirror Mode, Jagged Jewels and Perilous Passage

I don't just play Donkey Kong Country but the series has been dicking me since childhood

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
In DKC3 the UNDERWATER LEVEL WITH REVERSED CONTROLS
Can't say I found this level "too" challenging, but the ones with the movable ropes dicked me around because I was using a Gamecube controller (and with it, everything is ass backwards). Rocket Rush is much more annoying than Poisonous Pipeline.

Poisonous Pipeline was just a pain in the ass. Easy, but a pain in the ass.

Rocket Rush is stupidly insane. I wish it had a Continue Barrel or something. I really do.

I guess it differs depending on your party and how exactly you prepare, but the finale of the main story of Pokemon Mystery Dungeon 2 was quite brutal for me. Getting up Temporal Tower is challenging enough, you'll probably die a few times due to monster houses and bs hax, thus lose most of your items, which sucks major cock if you haven't got a massive stockpile of Reviver Seeds. Then you get to Primal Dialga, who has an insane amount of HP and can kill you very quickly. It would've been easier if I still had a crapload of Sleep and X-Eye seeds, but the tower drained my supply :/. Oh, and my party was Turtwig and Pikachu, you can definitely see how it was hard for me. I eventually managed to bring him down and I was glad as heck :D. Then the ending came. ;_;

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
nephenee is the fucking best, get lost colonel_m!!! she was easily my MVP, next to Boyd and Soren I think.
You forget I'm one of those tier list debaters that rain down on everyone's parade. And a tyrant. >:D

Nephenee's bigger problem revolves around her lack of Str and her AS being shaky if she isn't plowed BEXP from Part 2 or taking extra turns for her levels. Even when she returns to the Greil Mercenaries she barely beats units like Soren and Rolf. The only perk she has over Mia is a slightly better 2 range option.

Another difficult thing I'm reminded of from Fire Emblem 6 - Gel. Or should I say "Hel". FE6 thrones, 27 AS, +30 natural Crit, and 1-2 range. Thankfully Light Brand did 10 damage per hit, but his evade was trolly enough to make anyone shit their pants.

Others include:

- Bubbleman and Drillman from MMBN3. Good fucking lord.
- Tales of Symphonia Maniac Mode. Can someone explain to me HOW TO EVEN ATTEMPT THIS!?!

Eat At Joe's from Rayman GBA.. The horrible, horrible memories.
I can attest to that level on the original Play Station. Took me weeks to beat Space Mama btw.

Also, Boost Guardian from Metroid Prime 2. Asshole does so much in its not-so-solid form as well as the fact that its Boost is hard to avoid.

Yeah man, I had a tough time with that when I was younger. I replayed Tooie last year though and it's actually not that hard - just go slowly for like a quarter maybe of the track, then go as fast as possible. Canary Mary has rubber band AI so the faster you go, the faster she goes. Fantastic game overall.

As for me, I guess I haven't played many hard games 'cause nothing springs to mind. DKCR had some pretty hard levels; I found that temple level with the rising lava ridiculously hard and could only beat it by playing co-op with a friend and abusing the ability to respawn while the other guy was still alive. The other temple levels were pretty hard too, but they were less frustrating and more fun for me.

Actually, going back to Tooie, Lord Woo Fak Fak was a total bitch to beat. It's not like you were always in danger of dying, it just took such a long time to beat him since it's hard to shoot his weak spots and you move pretty slowly underwater.

Well I only played a few games... Mostly Kirby bosses drove me insane

I hated the Dark Mind in Kirby and the Amazing Mirror. Kept going off screen and then attacked me with huge beams and throwing enemies on top of me, or doing the laser+mirror thing.

Beating that witch in Canvas Curse took me awhile, but finally I completed it with full health. Mainly because I never realized that every super hard boss I ever faced actually gives a hint to their attacks.

And Tabuu was a troll in SSBB. He kept spamming that attack with the waves and wings. I managed to dodge it once (I HAVE NO IDEA HOW) and never was again.

Tabuu's RROD can be side-stepped or rolled around

easier to side-step generally because it doesn't force you into the next ring

Also killing the Hellcats in Jak 2. Fucking ridiculous.
God FUCKING damn it I hated that mission.

cave story was hard for me too, ive only managed to beat the story on the easiest Wii version difficulty by whoring out machinegun levitation and that one really powerful sidequest gun. the final area is just tough without the MG.
The Machine Gun isn't a good weapon to use for the Sacred Ground because it gets downgraded to level 1. The Spur is the best Polar Star upgrade for the level (or the Snake if you're trying to speed run). I gotta say, though, that level is brutal any way you slice it.

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Boss Battles. Expert. Every boss from SSBB, at the highest level, practically all with OHKO attacks. Galleon. Rayquaza. Duon. FUCKING PETEY PIRHANA. And of course, tabuu. how we all hate you....

i forget which dungeon it was, i think it was the 7th in Legend of Zelda - Oracles of Seasons (something I have yet to beat!) but there is a two-headed dragon thing that was seemingly impervious to all sorts of damage i tried to inflict upon it, and i can't even remember how i did manage to beat it, perhaps some bombs? it was a BITCH
You mean Gleeok?

You had to damage both of his heads equally or they'd grow back, hit the left head, hit the right head, hit the left, etc.

On that topic Oracle of Ages / Season are some of my favorite Zelda games.

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Oh, and I hate JASPER BATT JR. from no more heroes 2. with that triple-punch-invulnerable-teleport thing, he's almost unbeatable.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)