Luxray

Status
Not open for further replies.
ya know one thing no one's bother to mention really is how the teammates can affect Luxray's effectiveness im just shootin out ideas here but if ya got some screens going or perhaps baton pass him some boosts alot of the gripes im seein SHOULD be taken care of, yeah its a bit gimmicky but w/ reflect up or some buffers to his Def/Spd- you could run a set like this-

Intimidate
@ Expert Belt
Wild Bolt/Volt Switch
Crunch
Focus Blast/Superpower
Claw Sharpen/TWave

he may not be the uber sweeper of the team but he'll be able to bring the noise and scout the other team, coming in after a stall lead

idk just tryin to bring a fresh POV here Luxray has such a badass design i dont like the idea of him being written off so easily but GF does need to through his cat a bone its off to a good start w/ the STAB moves this go around though.....

ya know one thing no one's bother to mention really is how the teammates can affect Luxray's effectiveness im just shootin out ideas here but if ya got some screens going or perhaps baton pass him some boosts alot of the gripes im seein SHOULD be taken care of, yeah its a bit gimmicky but w/ reflect up or some buffers to his Def/Spd- you could run a set like this-

Intimidate
@ Expert Belt
Wild Bolt/Volt Switch
Crunch
Focus Blast/Superpower
Claw Sharpen/TWave

he may not be the uber sweeper of the team but he'll be able to bring the noise and scout the other team, coming in after a stall lead

idk just tryin to bring a fresh POV here Luxray has such a badass design i dont like the idea of him being written off so easily but GF does need to through his cat a bone its off to a good start w/ the STAB moves this go around though.....
IIRC, Luxray can't learn Focus Blast and Hone Claws.

Actually, DW Pokemon can in fact have egg moves, so long as they can be found as female in DW. So GutsRay (my term, I trademarked it) can run Guts and Ice Fang. It just can't have Superpower, unless GF gives it as an egg move (yeah, sure, THAT'LL happen).

on PBR awhile ago, a fought against a bulky luxray [was eating my chomps eq like it wuz nuthin!!!]

luxray@leftovers
carfeul nature
intimidate 252 hp, 200 def, 52 sp. def[or sumthin close]
-toxic
-light screen
-thunder fang[then]/wild charge[now]
-ice fang/fire fang

Luxray @ Air Balloon
255 HP / 255 Spe
Careful Nature
Intimidate

-Thunder Fang
-Ice Fang
-Light Screen
-Thunder Wave

At least for the first part, you don't need to care about Ground types because you're holding a balloon. You can use Ice Fang if the balloon pops. From there, Thunder Fang is STAB, Light Screen is to protect against Special walls, and Thunder Wave is kind of like boosting Speed to a lesser extent.

Bulky Luxray is boss in lower tiers (RU, LU and NU), with a set like

Luxray (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Discharge
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Roar

You'll need a bit of hazard support to have this working at his fullest. Obviously you'll want also a flying/Levitate pokemon to avoid Earthquakes, that may be problematic. I found Charizard to be one of the best partners, since he's immune to Earthquake, and appreciated the Electric STAB Luxray offers. Discharge is used for the 30% chance to paralyse the opponent. If your team relies on Toxic Spikes or on damaging status, feel free to use Thunderbolt

Luxray (M) @ Flame Orb
Trait: Guts
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Facade
- Wild Charge
- Ice Fang
- Crunch

Maybe as an OU sweeper, possibly?

1) Any Dual Screener plus a Baton Passer (Gorebyss in my opinion since it has access to Shell Smash, plus it dies easily so thats why dual screener is there)
2) Pass stats boost onto Luxray
3) Sweep Away

[Inspiration]
Was watching a video on YouTube based on a Smash Passing Gorebyss passing its boosted stats onto an Anger Point Primeape @ Focus Sash, Primeape's health goes down to 1 HP and Anger point activates. After that, the rest is history.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDmDgyXNE4g

What is Luxray's stance on Crunch vs Night Slash? Would it be that defensive drop from Crunch?
Most Steels in OU wall this badly. Electivire is better because it can use Flamethrower/EQ/Cross Chop to deal with them. I can see it working in the lower tiers though.
@CanadiEntei: Crunch is 80 base power + Defensive drop, and good chances of critical hits from Night Slash, but its 70 base power. Crunch is more powerful than Night Slash anyways so I prefer Crunch over it.

@Rayquaza_: Lower tiers, yes I agree, and I have tested facade on steel types. With the stat boost passed onto Luxray, does a decent amount of damage on pokemon like Bronzong, but not enough to say that Luxray can sweep in OU teams. Would it make much of a difference if Fire Fang was equipped on Luxray instead of Ice Fang? I mean, I know that Ice fang is to deal with dragons / grass / ground types. Facade can cover that while burned activating Facade's effect and Luxray's Guts ability.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)