Medicham

Jirachee

phoenix reborn
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Houndoom is a better pursuiter than Drapion to team up with this guy IMO, since the Will O Wisp immunity helps

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
You would most likely want to invest on its Atk, since it is going to be a Pursuiter. Invest on Speed and remainder in Special Attack. Pursuit, Sucker Punch, Crunch, Fire Blast most likely. Life Orb, Lum Berry, or Black Glasses are all good items for Houndoom.

I like your use of Medicham; it's innovative. Bulk Up, HJK, Bullet Punch, Rock Slide / Psycho Cut @ Lum Berry / Salac Berry / Life Orb seems cool

I think a set with Substitute and 3 Moves would work wonders on Medicham, too. It already has nice coverage and godly Atk, so it would be pretty deadly behind a Substitute. Give it Salac Berry, and you can pull off a traditional yet effective Sub-Salac Sweep

@GTS
Oh right. Would it get more easier to use my cham in UU? Have not battled in UU with it...
Well, theoretically the pokemon in UU are closer to Medicham level as far as competitive mons go.

There are just generally pokemon that do what he does better in OU, so you may as well take his talents to greener pastures, if you will.

Well Medicham can Baton pass Bulk Up on a Baton Pass Chain.

Other pokemon that can do it are, Blaziken (Uber), Mew & Smeargle (Better off Baton passing other things), Floatzel ( Frailer then then Medicham but good speed but you're probably getting the sped you need fro ninjask's baton pass) and Finally Combuskin (Frail even with Evolite, Speed Boost + Baton pass = illegal)

So it really boils down between Medicham and Floatzel, You can use mew though if the other stat ups have been covered by other pokemon, although if you happen to baton pass sword dance and Speed boost behind a sub from ninjask to Medicham, it's pretty much GG lol

You would most likely want to invest on its Atk, since it is going to be a Pursuiter. Invest on Speed and remainder in Special Attack. Pursuit, Sucker Punch, Crunch, Fire Blast most likely. Life Orb, Lum Berry, or Black Glasses are all good items for Houndoom.

I like your use of Medicham; it's innovative. Bulk Up, HJK, Bullet Punch, Rock Slide / Psycho Cut @ Lum Berry / Salac Berry / Life Orb seems cool

I think a set with Substitute and 3 Moves would work wonders on Medicham, too. It already has nice coverage and godly Atk, so it would be pretty deadly behind a Substitute. Give it Salac Berry, and you can pull off a traditional yet effective Sub-Salac Sweep
I know this post is a month-old; but you might want Recover over Rock Slide, or Drain Punch over HJK with Ice Punch over RS/Psycho Cut. Relying on a 70-BP Psychic-type STAB isn't the greatest idea for any offensive Poké, and 'Cham really appreciates the huge increase in power from HJK, or the healing from Drain Punch.

Medicham makes an awesome revenge killer with a scarf IMO. Here's the set I use:

Medicham @Choice Scarf Adamant

40HP/252Att/216Spe

~ Brick Break
~ Psycho Cut
~ *Elemental Punch*
~ *Elemental Punch*

Works wonders with it being fast, powerful and can take a hit a few times. One of my favourite sets.

Scarf Medicham has been doing serious work on my latest UU team. He has enough speed to outspeed pretty much every unscarfed poke in the tier, and pure power allows him to hit hard even with jolly and no boosting item. He also has that boosted 130 BP HJK to work off of, but not using it and instead predicting the switchin is rewarding, as nailing something with the super-effective move will hurt a lot. I pack HJK, psycho cut/zen headbutt, ice punch, and thunderpunch, but Medicham also gets trick to screw with walls. It takes lots of prediction to use effectively, but when you can do so, it acts as both a wallbreaker and a revenger. Sometimes, the prediction isnt even that hard, his moves have great coverage and there is a decent amount of overlap (ex. Crobat and Slowbro could both switch into HJK, but neither will enjoy taking a t-punch)

I have no idea if he runs any other sets with the slightest effectiveness.

Anyone think Medicham might be able to pull off Acupressure?A moveset like:

Medicham @ Leftovers
Nature? EVs? (Acupressure sets can have wicked difficult EVs depending on what you want.Back later on this)
Pure Power
- Drain Punch/Hi Jump Kick
- Substitute
- Acupressure
- Ice Punch/Bullet Punch/Baton Pass

Now I know Medicham does not have very solid bulk but it does seem to force switches alot so you can get a Sub up.Acupressure can possibly give you Atk (especially good if you chose Bullet Punch) or Speed (one of the things holding back a full out sweep).If not you could still get defensive boosts (which might help considering some walls won't break a Sub outside of Night Shade/Seismic Toss) or best of all a +2 to evasion!Drain Punch is more reliable damage and healing that lets Medicham hang out and possibly make more Subs and get more boosts.HJK is alot stronger and could be helped out with an accuracy boost.

The fourth slot is up for grabs.Ice Punch gives fantastic coverage with Drain Punch. Bullet Punch is priority and is good on Medicham considering the high attack but low speed. Baton Pass leaves you completely walled by ghosts but can pass any stats or subs to a new Pokemon.Give any defensive boosts to a Pokemon who can actually wall stuff while passing attack ups to sweepers with some coverage.

Problem is off course that the defenses are terrible to begin with and even after +2 there will be plenty capable of breaking Medicham Subs. Also the random nature of Acupressure can let it down. 2/7 boosts are almost completely wasted on Medicham (Accuracy if not running HJK and Sp.Atk) and the wrong boost at the wrong time could leave you wasting turns. A defense boost does no good against a special attacker and vice versa. Its almost because of that fact Baton Pass was even mentioned in the first place.

So whats your thoughts?At least worth it as a gimmick option?

Dragon Rider, you of all people should know that Acupressure sucks in BW. And Medicham has really measly stats to begin with across the board, it just has an awesome ability which makes it one thing and one thing only: A glass cannon. Bulk Up would probably work much better

Spiritomb walls you, Deoxys-d walls you, Dusclops walls you (though CB Zen Headbut/Psycho slash does nice damage), Cresselia walls you, . Slowbro walls you unless you're running ThunderPunch + CB/Life Orb. Basically, despite the fact that HJK has become an unholy attack, nearly every team is gonna have something that hard counters you. Though all of the above are weak to pursuit (bar Spiritomb), you need a very powerful pursuit user to eliminate them (Houndoom probably isn't gonna cut it). For this and other reasons (actually outrunning stuff) I'd run a scarf set with Trick.

Acupressure is basically only useful for a Baton Pass set. Believe me, i tried Acupressure Medicham without Baton Pass. Sucked pretty bad.

a +2 on a random stat is always welcome on any poke (unless it's a accuracy boost). Especially if it's a evasion boost.

I don't know, +2 accuracy means things like Stone Edge (maybe) and Hi Jump Kick won't miss, and it would be a huge help for something running Focus Blast

According to Bulbapedia, at +2, a 70% accuracy move becomes 116% so unless your opponent has boosted their evasion, a move with 70% accuracy or more will always hit. That sounds like a usable Baton Pass to me

alphatron

Volt turn in every tier! I'm in despair!
The posts are old, but I don't think medicham should be trying to run a defensive bulk up set at all, mainly because gallade shines in that area much better. And why would you want to use recover when you'll be busy recovering off damage from drain punch?

Dragon Rider, you of all people should know that Acupressure sucks in BW. And Medicham has really measly stats to begin with across the board, it just has an awesome ability which makes it one thing and one thing only: A glass cannon. Bulk Up would probably work much better
I know but its actually partially your fault!I had so much fun with that Drapion you and I created that I have been using it on other pokes with some success like my Acupressure Toxicroak on a Drizzle team.They are great fun.Medicham is just MUCH harder to get a grip on how to use it.Hence, my asking here.

Acupressure is basically only useful for a Baton Pass set. Believe me, i tried Acupressure Medicham without Baton Pass. Sucked pretty bad.

a +2 on a random stat is always welcome on any poke (unless it's a accuracy boost). Especially if it's a evasion boost.
Now I'm curious.When you ran Medicham, what spread did you use?Also what was the moveset?I'm assuming Fighting Move (Drain Punch or HJK)/Sub/Acupressure/Baton Pass?

I had some fairly decent success a whle ago with a Drain Punch/Accupressure/BP defensive Medicham sometime ago. Its pretty possible to EV it to have similar defenses to Gallade.

I had some fairly decent success a whle ago with a Drain Punch/Accupressure/BP defensive Medicham sometime ago. Its pretty possible to EV it to have similar defenses to Gallade.
How much bulk was invested?It seems like it would have to be pretty substantial to be close to Gallade.Their defenses side by side:

60/75/75 Medicham
68/65/115 Gallade

I guess I'm just going to need to figure out how to take the most common attacks thrown at it by walls.Whats the most common switch ins to a Medicham in UU?

Now I'm curious.When you ran Medicham, what spread did you use?Also what was the moveset?I'm assuming Fighting Move (Drain Punch or HJK)/Sub/Acupressure/Baton Pass?
I CAN´T REMEMBER LOL

I think it was exactly what you said. The spread was 252 HP/252 Spd/ 4 whatever with Jolly nature (the more speed, the better).
I pulled off a BP or two out of this set. Mainly because it's random, so i almost always got the wrong boost (or i got too greedy thinking i could get the right boost on the right time, then got the boost on something like speed just to get OHKOed)

But when you do get the evasion boost... things got nasty. Pray that your opponent doesn't have Scyther or Haze.

Although I agree that Gallade is better than Medicham, that doesn't mean it outclasses it.

Attack that's likenable to base 170 is something that makes medicham stand out. In addition, it also has the wonder of Hi Jump Kick in its possesion. Basically, scout for ghosts and then the damage taht you can do with scarf is (theoretically, at least, lol) obscene.

A very basic set of HJK/Trick/Zen Headbutt/Fire Punch would seem good. Pity that Medicham doesn't have anything to hit Psychic-types with.
Hmmm... it kinda has something to hit psychics with, a band or lo hi jump kick would dent most incoming psychics, bar stuff like cress and reuniclus.

Medicham really has no business attempting to set up. Slap a choice item on it and call it a day.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)