Hardest video game level/boss you've ever faced

Can't say I found this level "too" challenging, but the ones with the movable ropes dicked me around because I was using a Gamecube controller (and with it, everything is ass backwards). Rocket Rush is much more annoying than Poisonous Pipeline.
Can't say I played Rocket Rush, the game had tired me with its antics long before I could get all of the Bonus Coins

As another thing, I always found Outrageous harder than Tubular, whose rhythm I eventually got.

biggie

champ
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

This. It took me so many damn tries to get past this cheating bastard when I was younger. When I downloaded it for the 360 though, I perfected the Scorpion combo and decimated him.

Well there are plenty of bosses and levels that I have never managed to beat, so it might be hard for me to answer this question with certainty :)

A level that comes to mind for me is the Super Mario Galaxy 2 final challenge, a hard level to start with, plus in the final version one hit kills and there are no restart points. I know plenty of people have beaten it but I have never even reached the later portions.

One boss that was "hard" for me in an interesting way was the super-boss in the final portion of Final Fantasy VIII. (I think it's called Omega Weapon.) Well I haven't learned to use that game's limit breaks, so for me to win I have to use the spell Meteor over and over and over, starting each new one as quickly as I can after the previous one, for two straight hours!!

This is a bit off-topic, but I absolutely love it when a game includes a super-boss or super-dungeon tougher than anything necessary to beat the game.

Fireburn

BARN ALL
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Boss Battles. Expert. Every boss from SSBB, at the highest level, practically all with OHKO attacks. Galleon. Rayquaza. Duon. FUCKING PETEY PIRHANA. And of course, tabuu. how we all hate you....
Yeah that was tough. The best characters for that challenge IMO are Fox (spam his FAir) and Charizard (spam his Side Special), those attacks should kill each boss in 5-6 shots. The main difference is that Zard can take more hits while Fox can dodge the attacks more easily, although its still really hard even with that.

Other hard things:

-Stage 6-2 in the NES Ninja Gaiden. Turns men into boys.

-The early game missions in Radiant Dawn. Everyone in the Dawn Brigade except for Edward, Nolan, and Sothe/Micaiah SUCKS. Especially when you have to take on the Laguz...ughghghghgh...

-Castlevania Portrait of Ruin LVL 1 Old Axe Armor Hard mode - Okay the final fight between Dracula and Death is just crazy. Your attacks do like nothing and they can pretty much kill you in one shot with any of their moves, and trying to dodge around their combined attacks continously gets really annoying, especially since your most effective attack - the throwing axes - is hindered by your small MP capacity, so the fight will draaaaaaaaaaaag on and on.

Also, your worst enemy in LVL 1 mode are bats. They deal enormous damage since you're only Level 1 and they are stupidly annoying to sidestep or hit.

-Purity Forest in Mystery Dungeon Blue - This game forced you to do this since it was the only way to recruit Celebi. You could only bring one guy, who was reset to Level 1 with none of his acquired moves or IQ skills, no items were allowed inside, you couldn't bring money, and you couldn't recruit extra teammates. The EXP required to level up as well as the stat gains attained also become VERY low after you're about 30 floors in (ITS 99 FLOORS OF PURE EVIL), so the enemies will catch up to you. And if you ever run into a Monster House, you're gone.

I did eventually beat it after many failed attempts with other Pokemon with a Kecleon. Yes, a Kecleon. Super hard to recruit, but those guys are the best Pokemon in Mystery Dungeon. Wide moveset, good level up movepool, impressive stats, and a decent level up rate. I managed to find a Pass Scarf and I just trudged right up there like a boss. The only problem was that Kecleon was absurdly hard to recruit. (You have to steal something from an in dungeon shop to get him to attack you - they then come at you en masse out of the woodwork and they will immediately hunt you down - they give little EXP for killing them and with the Friend Bow and a Level 90+ Pokemon (I used Articuno since it had good stats and could clear them out fast with Powder Snow and Mind Reader + Sheer Cold linked) they only have a .1% chance of recruitment.)

Other Pokemon I tried (Many times) were Charizard (starts with Heat Wave for multi-kills, got to Floor 56 before I was offed by a Tauros.), Electrode (Sonicboom was okay but he wasn't so hot...), Gardevoir (Teleport abuse, but I kept getting unlucky with items), and Mewtwo (fast Level Up with solid stats and a huge movepool, but he couldn't hack it against the Scizors and Houndooms that appear later in the dungeon, highest I got with him was like Floor 60?). The first time I tried Kecleon was the time I beat it lol.

Chapter 30: Light on Fire Emblem 7.

Nergal and the fire dragon weren't too bad, but when it's your first playthrough of your first Fire Emblem (...of the first US Fire Emblem game back in 2003) where you've most liekly lost a bunch of units, that entire level was insane. All the enemies were basically bosses, really. Lloyd, Linus, you two badasses were the best challenge ever.

Fireburn said:
-Castlevania Portrait of Ruin LVL 1 Old Axe Armor Hard mode
Is this even feasible for like, a normal person? I plan on hopefully beating Level 1 Jonathan/Charlotte at some point because you can at least get good equipment and stuff, but I find it difficult to fathom doing this in the other game modes.

To be fair, if you really wanted you could do the "keep your inventory" glitch to transfer over some stat boosts to make the Axe Armor challenge a little less ridiculous.

-Purity Forest in Mystery Dungeon Blue - This game forced you to do this since it was the only way to recruit Celebi. You could only bring one guy, who was reset to Level 1 with none of his acquired moves or IQ skills, no items were allowed inside, you couldn't bring money, and you couldn't recruit extra teammates. The EXP required to level up as well as the stat gains attained also become VERY low after you're about 30 floors in (ITS 99 FLOORS OF PURE EVIL), so the enemies will catch up to you. And if you ever run into a Monster House, you're gone.
God, some of the 99 Floor and Level 1 dungeons were hard as hell! I remember my first time attempting a 99f dungeon (IIRC, it was Mewtwo's) and it took me so long and was really hard but of course it's really easy after. Jirachi's dungeon was a BITCH, too. Alakazam is also useful in Level 1 dungeons too, iirc.

The Mystery Dungeon games are really, really fun though. One of the best spin-off Pokemon games; really solid game.

I think every time I play a new game it becomes my hardest played game to date. I seem to always make stupid mistakes that prevent me from advancing.

For instance in GTA IV during the bank robbing mission with the McCrearys I just couldn't get Packie to get in the fucking car...

Playing AC: Brotherhood I was completely oblivious that the exclamation marks started missions. I set out to capture every Borgia tower I could and began renovations. Eventually I began wondering what the fuck was up with missions not triggering and opened up my map. Hello set waypoint!

I had a hard time playing as a Warrior in Titan Quest and just about every other RPG...

Really looking forward to playing melee in Dark Souls :heart:

Watcher's Keep from Baldur's Gate II: Throne of Bhaal. If you don't cheat or take a gander at a walkthrough, it's excruciatingly difficult, even if all your doodz are at Lv. 40.

I am now old.

Matthew

I love weather; Sun for days
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The hardest boss fight for me to ever really want to complete (meaning I just didn't have the soul to complete it) was at the end of Mother 3. For those who don't want spoilers, just stop reading right now.

When you get to the end your twin brother, who has lost his memories and any sense of self is forced to fight you. During the fight both of you have flashbacks to your childhood where you would play with your mother or where you two were extremely happy. When you get to the point where Lucas can Clause are both crying yet fighting each other I needed to step back and take a break. The story was amazing and I felt for Lucas more than I felt for Ness during his battle with Gigyas.

It was a very, very emotional battle that I really have had trouble beating just because of the emotions I felt while playing the game, emotions I haven't really ever felt for a video game character. I've never had a problem with video games, I've always been able to do it no matter what first try (even on hard! Seriously, SSBB on hardest difficultly isn't hard at all, stop your belly aching). But that was without a doubt the hardest boss battle for me

Sacred Grounds on Cave Story is indeed difficult, but it's such an awesome level that I never really found it frustrating. That final boss is just class.

No mention here of Lemmings? That game was absolutely brutal at times. It's pretty hard to pick a hardest moment, but really the last 10 or so levels on the Mayhem difficulty setting are all equally ridiculous.

Also I could never beat Bald Bull on Punch Out! (Wii version) in Title Defence mode...

Attempts to recruit Rayquaza on Explorers of Sky was literal hell. I had the Amber Tear but I had to choose my leader for the entire Sky Stairway: either my LV 80 starters who can get swamped, or my LV 60 Palkia which was basically invincible after being buffed up with a whole load of Gummis. Who was the idiot that made a -10% recruitment rate the boss of a 50-floor dungeon anyway >_>

First time I played PMD2 it was Explorers of Time. Back then I failed like 5 times at the first dungeon in the future because some silly Drifloon would pop up and proceed to KO me and my partner with a spammage of Ominous Wind+Unburden. That was pure hell.

Attempts to recruit Rayquaza on Explorers of Sky was literal hell. I had the Amber Tear but I had to choose my leader for the entire Sky Stairway: either my LV 80 starters who can get swamped, or my LV 60 Palkia which was basically invincible after being buffed up with a whole load of Gummis. Who was the idiot that made a -10% recruitment rate the boss of a 50-floor dungeon anyway >_>

First time I played PMD2 it was Explorers of Time. Back then I failed like 5 times at the first dungeon in the future because some silly Drifloon would pop up and proceed to KO me and my partner with a spammage of Ominous Wind+Unburden. That was pure hell.
I don't know what you're talking about; Sky Stairway is a highly simple (if tedious) dungeon! The Pokemon are around Lv 30 and the only concern is getting hungry. Just bring a bunch of Apples and Max Elixirs and you're good to go. Also, the recruitment rate for the Seven Treasures Legendaries is 1/2 if I remember correctly; the one that gave me trouble was Giratina's World Abyss. Fucking Nidoqueens with their fucking Earth Power.

If you're talking about PMD 1, then you're right; Rayquaza and Groudon are absolute BITCHES to recruit, with long shitty dungeons and crap.

Actually, the most annoying dungeon in PMD is Aegis Cave. Basically, there are a lot of Unown in this cave, and you're supposed to collect stones that they (sometimes) drop. You are supposed to collect these stones in the typing of the Regi Trio (i.e. ROCK, ICE, STEEL). This is a lot of stones. When you consider that the drop rate is something like 10%, it looks to be an annoying time-wasting task. It is. However, this isn't the end of it; the Unown you need for the stones (e.g. Unown-E) does NOT always appear on the 5 floors you have between you and the boss chamber. This means you will often have to keep redoing the same 5 boooooooooring floors until you get the stones you need.

I don't know what you're talking about; Sky Stairway is a highly simple (if tedious) dungeon! The Pokemon are around Lv 30 and the only concern is getting hungry. Just bring a bunch of Apples and Max Elixirs and you're good to go. Also, the recruitment rate for the Seven Treasures Legendaries is 1/2 if I remember correctly; the one that gave me trouble was Giratina's World Abyss. Fucking Nidoqueens with their fucking Earth Power.
Exactly.

It gets annoying to spend 1 hour of your life doing a 50-floor dungeon, and not be able to recruit the boss. Sure, maybe that's why I suck at 99-floor dungeons, but I just lack the patience to do things. >_>

(p.s. Groudon's PMD1 dungeon is shorter than Sky Stairway, what are you talking, plus there is a waypoint for you to save)

Also the recruitment rate for the 7 treasure legends are not 1/2. where did you get that info?

Exactly.

It gets annoying to spend 1 hour of your life doing a 50-floor dungeon, and not be able to recruit the boss. Sure, maybe that's why I suck at 99-floor dungeons, but I just lack the patience to do things. >_>

(p.s. Groudon's PMD1 dungeon is shorter than Sky Stairway, what are you talking, plus there is a waypoint for you to save)

Also the recruitment rate for the 7 treasure legends are not 1/2. where did you get that info?
Hmm, could have sworn it was 50%. Seeing that you lack patience, wouldn't Aegis Cave be the worst dungeon ever?

The level 1 dungeons are tough. I only got to B50s of Zero Isle South with Spiritomb before dying to some stupid Monster House...

Hmm, could have sworn it was 50%. Seeing that you lack patience, wouldn't Aegis Cave be the worst dungeon ever?
Aegis Cave wasn't difficult seeing as I just farmed a whole shitload of stones in Regice's area. Took me like 8 tries, I was somewhat lucky.

I haven't played much of anything mentioned previously in this thread, but I have played something I found ragequit-worthy: Reactor Core (Level 45, the last level) in Pac-Man: Adventures in Time for PC. The level consists of three small cylinders that you have to navigate around while collecting pellets and avoiding ghosts. Seems straightforward, until you realize 1) that the lateral surface area of each of the cylinders is so small that you have about half a second of warning when a ghost comes around a "corner," 2) that you have to collect all the pellets on one cylinder before moving to the next one, 3) that you have 2 minutes (iirc) to finish the entire level, and 4) there's only one Power Pellet per cylinder. Took my brother (who is the most hardcore Pac-Man player in our house) at least fifteeen lost lives to beat on easy with all three lives available. And you can jump in this game. I don'th think any of use have ever beaten it on hard...

The hardest boss fight for me to ever really want to complete (meaning I just didn't have the soul to complete it) was at the end of Mother 3. For those who don't want spoilers, just stop reading right now.

When you get to the end your twin brother, who has lost his memories and any sense of self is forced to fight you. During the fight both of you have flashbacks to your childhood where you would play with your mother or where you two were extremely happy. When you get to the point where Lucas can Clause are both crying yet fighting each other I needed to step back and take a break. The story was amazing and I felt for Lucas more than I felt for Ness during his battle with Gigyas.

It was a very, very emotional battle that I really have had trouble beating just because of the emotions I felt while playing the game, emotions I haven't really ever felt for a video game character. I've never had a problem with video games, I've always been able to do it no matter what first try (even on hard! Seriously, SSBB on hardest difficultly isn't hard at all, stop your belly aching). But that was without a doubt the hardest boss battle for me
God, Mother 3 was a beautiful game. That fight had me in tears. But more on the topic, do remember Mr. Generator? Or the Jealous Bass? Incredibly hard bosses.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akDQhp3lOBc

Fuck this shit and fuck the designer of this level. The music DOES NOT FIT HERE. What the hell?

Also, one name will send any SMT veteran into shivers: Demifiend. No amount of level grinding or optimal skillsets are saving you from this guy. Some even go far enough to call him the hardest RPG boss ever. Case in point?

- Comes in with two followers, both of which either throw out healing, instant death spells, of BOTH varieties (40% chance per party member), or some nasty status. Also can summon more if either fall.

- The boss himself hits hard enough and loves to stun your party members. And has a move called Gaea Rage (more affectionately known as Game Over) due to hitting for insane amounts. (Your HP Max in that game is 999, that spell hits for 15000. You do the math.) Note most of the time that move won't even be the thing that kills you here.

- There's even some insane restrictions in place: Nullify anything? Gaea Rage to the face. Have a "forbidden" skill equipped? Gaea Rage to the face. Kill off his followers enough? Gaea Rage to the face. Take too long to kill him off? Gaea Rage to the face. Think you can just abuse buff skills here, where it would work anywhere else? Do it too much and well... you get the picture.

- And to add some final insult to injury? The battle theme is the regular encounter theme from the game this boss hails from. To him you're nothing more than a random encounter.

Watch it in all it's hair-tearing glory:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynzL2TnEDec

My attempt took an hour.

for me, the hardest boss I have faced would have to be SIN in final fantasy X. the round where you have to beat it in ten turns (it had ridiculously high HP) or you would automatically lose x.x

The hardest boss I've faced would have to be Boost Guardian in Metroid Prime 2. The fight seemed to be more about luck than anything and he never seemed to destroy the towers for health when I needed him too. I got thrashed by him a boatload of times but what was weird was that when I finally beat him, I didn't lose much health. Even when you know what to do, it's still hard

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)