Rarely Used (RU) Tier

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a spinblocker there is Dusknoir (which is actally pretty bulky), a lot less defensive that Dusclops, but with a nice attack

Oglemi

Borf
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Spinblocking is actually kind of hard to accomplish in this tier with the only viable Ghosts being Golurk, Dusknoir, and Cofragrigus (and maybe Haunter and Misdreavus). Though, Blastoise is the only Rapid Spinner with Foresight in RU, so I suppose it may be easier than I thought. I actually haven't really tried a stall team, I've been having too much fun just pwning with Cresselia and Durant.

BurningMan

fueled by beer
Spinblocking is actually kind of hard to accomplish in this tier with the only viable Ghosts being Golurk, Dusknoir, and Cofragrigus (and maybe Haunter and Misdreavus). Though, Blastoise is the only Rapid Spinner with Foresight in RU, so I suppose it may be easier than I thought. I actually haven't really tried a stall team, I've been having too much fun just pwning with Cresselia and Durant.
the only viable spinners are Blastoise(he is pretty solid here), the hitmons (hitmonlee is a beast with reckless HJK), Claydol (seems to be on almost every team^^) and Kabutops (has anyone tried out rain?). So Spin blocking shouldn't be too hard especially for Dusknoir and Cofagrigus since none of the above pokemon can really break them.

I have played some matches now and its pretty fun as stated above claydol is almost on every team to aid all the SR weak but extremely strong sweepers like Yanmega, Honchcrow and Moltres. I am currently using a HO Team with Screen Support from Cresselia (that can wall almost the complete metagame and gets almost reliable recovery).

Has anyone tried out this?:
Crustle @Expert Belt/Leftovers/White Herb
- Shell Smash
- X-Scissor
- Rock Blast/Rock Slide/Stone Edge
- Earthquake
Ability: Sturdy
Nature: Jolly/Adamant
EVs: 4hp/252atk/252spe

Rock Blast can break substitutes, and with Jolly his speed reaches 414. Its pretty powerful and even outspeeds Durant.

the only viable spinners are Blastoise(he is pretty solid here), the hitmons (hitmonlee is a beast with reckless HJK), Claydol (seems to be on almost every team^^) and Kabutops (has anyone tried out rain?). So Spin blocking shouldn't be too hard especially for Dusknoir and Cofagrigus since none of the above pokemon can really break them.

I have played some matches now and its pretty fun as stated above claydol is almost on every team to aid all the SR weak but extremely strong sweepers like Yanmega, Honchcrow and Moltres. I am currently using a HO Team with Screen Support from Cresselia (that can wall almost the complete metagame and gets almost reliable recovery).
Sandslash will cut you o_o... no but really he is ok.

I love this tier, and hopefully will be fine tuning a team to make it up the leaderboard.

Durant is my fav Gen 5 poke and now he gets to shine :)

Defensive Quagsire ends up in a stall war against RestTalk Cress, neither can break the other, barring multiple Criticals, or a Sp.Def drop from Psychic, if Cress is running it.

Unaware dosen't ignore your own stat changes, after all.
if it's running cm/psychic, honchkrow and sharpedo both like getting a free turn on it. If it's running cm/something else, you can stall out sleep talk pretty quickly and time a switch into pretty much any physical sweeper.

Spinblocking is actually kind of hard to accomplish in this tier with the only viable Ghosts being Golurk, Dusknoir, and Cofragrigus (and maybe Haunter and Misdreavus)
Also Duskull eviolite.

This tier is really funny, but I think Honchkrow is broken. I'm using it and is awesome.

I've been doing very well with eviolite Frillish, actually, so there's another spin blocker. I use something similar to the standard dusclops set.

I wouldn't be surprised if the most used pokemon in RU are:
- Honchkrow
- Cresselia
- Quagsire
- Sharpedo
- Gorebyss
- Yanmega
- Venomoth
- Dusknoir
- Frillish
- Cofagrigus
- Durant
- Scolipede

in no particular order

Dusknoir really is a pretty good spin-blocker, and I use mine as a SubPuncher as well. Steelix is amazing here, shrugs off hits from so many things and is a good Rocker and phazer. Sturdy will often ensure that it'll get at least one thing done as well, as if it wasn't incredibly resilient already.

What pokemon is good for putting toxic spikes down?

Also Mini-Reuniclus is actually good acumulating CM without the need of rest (still he might be outclassed by cress)

Also Mini-Reuniclus is actually good acumulating CM without the need of rest (still he might be outclassed by cress)
Scolipede is awesome, and he also gets Spikes.
On the offensive side, he has Swords Dance + Megahorn, EQ, Rock Slide, and (lol) Poison Jab.
Not to mention Baton Pass + SD/Agility, and his trolly base Speed.

Mini-Reuniclus is actually pretty cool w/ Eviolite and Recover. His name is Duosion (or something like that).

Scolipede.

60/90/89/55/69/112

Pretty fast and a rather decent attack stat. It has also Poison Point, and is resistant to Fighting and Bug.

It has Toxic Spikes, Baton Pass and even Swords Dance.

EDIT: Ninja'd by SlimMan

Galvantula can OHKO Honchkrow with it's almost never missing Thunder, Durant with HP Fire and Yanmega with Thunder. (btw these are all with the defending pokes with Full IVs & EVs, why, just cause.)

Screw using scolipede as a utility pokemon, just slap a band on him and spam megahorn, thats how I made leader board.
Spinbloking really isn't that essential this tier as the list of effective rapid spinners really is slim. Specially defensive blastoise is the only good one as far as i'm concerned and has became a staple on any team I put together now.

Stallrein is insane in RU. There aren't too many pokes with the power to take it out before the sub, and the common phazers are out too. With TS down, he can take 3-4 pokes if played right.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
I've been using an odd combo of Wob/Duggy/SDScoliopede. Wob tickles and duggy revenges. When Duggy's use is out, just Memento with him and send in SD Scoliopede and sweep.

Fun fun

I've been liking using Cradily with the set of Recover/Energy Ball/Mirror Coat/Stealth Rock or Stone Edge with Strom Drain.

Lack of Giga Drain is disappointing but it doesn't strictly need it. with the right EVs it can take +6 neutral attacks and KO back which is great as a last ditch resort. Also has enough bulk to scare off an unprotected Sharpedo which is also good if you are relying on priority to take out the speed boosters.

Also I've found that Absol wrecks the teir with a SD under its belt, provided you can predict when you need to Sucker Punch. It can also ohko Gallade with rocks with it just as a show off of it's power. Stops Yanmega midsweep too which is cool.

Anyone here have any ideas on how to counter/check Honchkrow?

I can only think of Choice band adament Piloswine with ice shard and that only does 85-105% on hounchkrow, so I better put those rocks up.

Life Orb Adament Entei with Flare Blitz, Extreme Speed and Flame charge isnt bad in this tier either, revenge killing with Extreme Speed is very useful on things like Yanmega, Venemoth and Gory before they Sweep or baton pass.

I have solved the issue of Quagsire, Honch and Yanmega. HP Rock Accelgor, EBall/HP Fighting Cofag, HP Grass Blastoise, LO Slaking. Accelgor is fast and hits hard, the CofagKing Combo deals with Honch and Yanmega.

I learned this after facing the same team 5 times. And Scarf Primeape is nice too as it can KO Honch and Mega with either Rock Slide or T-Punch.

some pokemon that may deserve a mention in RU that i haven't tried yet and I'm not sure if some of the move sets are legal yet.

Sheer Force Agility Kingler slap on a life orb (no recoil) give him crab hammer (he can't use waterfall for some reason) brick break and Rock slide, off the base 130 attack he'll damage something.

Sheer Force Tauros with no recoil life orb and base 110 speed with rock climb (one of his dream world moves) Earthquake and Rock slide, and filler move. I'm not sure what to use there, maybe work up or pursuit. Choice band probably hits 20% harder but your stuck on one move compared to no recoil life orb.

Water veil Choice band Floatzel, no Burns means Weezing or any physical wall that wants to switch into you and burn you have to find some other way around you. Switcheroo to cripple anything that walls you plus Waterfall and Ice fang, the last move could be Aqua jet for Priority or brick break for more coverage.

Lastly Sap sipper Milktank, why use her when her big brother Bouffalant does something similar?

Recovery in Milk drink and better speed.
Sadly her only boosting moves are curse and work up.

Curse Nullifies the better speed, although you could potentially pull off a bulky curse set with milk drink, Cradily does this better.

so the only set i can think is either milk drink + 3 attacks (Milk drink, body slam earthquake and brick break)

or Work up and Milk drink and 2 attacks.

Bouffalant probably does the job better afterall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)