Wi-Fi Standard Rule in Japan

If you are facing someone who is Japanese, you should know their own standard rule.
Their rule is based on the battle tower(battle subway) rule.
The interesting point is that their rule is lot different than ours, and they don't specifically ban Garchomp and Wubbuffet.

Overpowered(uber legend) Pokemons
-Mewtwo
-Ho-Oh
-Lugia
-Kyogre
-Groudon
-Rayqueza
-Dialga
-Palkia
-Giratina
-Arceus
-Reshiram
-Zekrom

Event Pokemon
-Mew
-Celebi
-Jirachi
-Deoxys
-Phione
-Manaphy
-Latios & Latias (with Soul Dew)
-Darkrai
-Shaymin
-Victini

Standard Rule Option A
Any pokemons that have total base stats over 580 are not allowed (excluding Slaking)

Unable to use
Pokemons with base stats total 600
-Dragonite
-Tyranitar
-Salamance
-Metagross
-Garchomp
-Hydreigon

3 Legends
-Kanto 3 Legends (Moltres, Zapdos, Articuno)
-Johto 3 Legends (Raikou, Entei, Suicune)
-Houen 3 Legends (Regirock, Regice, Registeel)
-Sinnoh 3 Legends (Uxie, Mesprit, Azelf)
-Unova 3 Legends (Cobalion, Terrakion, Virizion)

Other Legends
Houen
-Latios
-Latias
Sinnoh
-Heatran
-Regigigas
-Cresselia
Unova
-Tornadus
-Thundurus

Plus Uber Legend Pokemons and Event Pokemons are not allowed.

Standard Rule Option B
All the pokemons are allowed to use plus the event Pokemons except Uber Legend Pokemons.

No Restriction Option C
All Pokemons are allowed.

In Japan no matter which rule you play, you must follow below:

Item Clause
A Clause heavily enforced by all official Nintendo tournaments. Players are not allowed to have two or more of the same item on any of their Pokemon.

Species Clause
No two Pokemon of the same species may be used on the same team.

Self KO Clause
If both players have only one Pokemon remaining in battle moves that KO the user, such as Explosion or Destiny Bond, are not allowed. If a player uses a move that causes recoil damage such as Flare Blitz ends the game in both Pokemon fainting, the player that attacked last is announced the winner. If a player's pokemon has a life orb and it faints the pokemon in the end, then a player that attacked last is announced the winner.

Sleep Clause
The players may not put more than one Pokemon on the opponent's side to Sleep. The move Rest and Metronome are not affected by this clause.
Also, this clause is not affected if one is forced to use a sleep move under the restriction by the move Encore, or if a pokemon cannot use any other moves because it has any Choice items because foe used a move Trick.
This clause is also not affected if one uses Magic Coat, Mirror Move, or Copycat to make foe sleep.
This clause is affected if one uses a move Sleep Talk or Assist.

Japan does not have Evasion, Freeze, One-Hit KO, and Hax Clauses because Japanese think they are part of strategies.
In Japan, One-Hit KO is regarded as the part of strategy as to destroy Pokemons with high durability.
Rapidash's Hypnosis and Horn Drill combo is one of the famous One-Hit KO strategy among Japanese Pokemon Trainers.

You must choose from different single battle options:
66 battle
33 battle
6350 battle (You show 6 Pokemons and choose 3)

Why Garchomp and Wobbuffet are not banned in Japan?
Although Garchomp (Yachechomp, or Scarfchomp) is also used widely in Japan, it is not banned because many have managed to find the counter-measure against it such as increase in usage of Pokemons with high defense. Also, movements or ability that decrease Garchomp's its attack power such as intimidate help to defeat Garchomp.
Will-o-wisp and reflect especially are greatly effective against Garchomp.
Famous Garchomp killer pokemons are
Gyarados, Mamoswine, Weavile, and etc.

Wobbuffet is banned in US because Wobbuffet's ability, Shadow Tag, prevents switch-outs and draws battles into unneccessary lengths of time.
However, in Japan it is not banned because people have found the counter-measure.
Effective Movements against Wobbuffet
U-turn, Volt Switch, Baton Pass, Skill Swap, and ability Trace
Taunt, Encore, and etc.

What should you do if you don't have these movements above?
Try increase your stats using Sword Dance or any other movements that help to increase your stats so that you can defeat Wobbuffet with One Hit.
Movements such as Toxic, Thunder Wave, or Will-o-wisp or any other Status move may help.
The point is, don't just carry a Pokemon that only has battle moves.

The Standard Rule in Japan is much easier to remember and formalized than our rule.
We have OU, UU, and whatever however in Japan they have already created the categories according to their base stats so that everytime new pokemon appears they don't have to think which pokemon is uber or which is not.
The cons with Japanese standard rule is that there is a huge difference between beginners and advanced players, which is why all the people you see in Random wi-fi battle are Japanese because beginners don't go to wi-fi battle.
I think some of our standard rules should be changed because we have way too many clauses.

Famous Japanese Pokemon websites
http://www14.atwiki.jp/bwpokekousatsu/ Pokemon 5th Generation Battle Wiki
-greatly focuses on battle against people. It shows the details of every Pokemon regarding to battle such as moves, abilities, EVs, and IVs. High level of Japanese is recommended.

http://www18.atwiki.jp/dppokekousatsu/ Pokemon 4th Generation Battle Wiki

Interesting ruleset to say at least. I was always wondering what are the standard rules like in other counties. One question, which battle format is considered standard in singles - 3 vs 3 or 6 vs 6? While watching Battle Videos I noticed that 3 vs 3 is far more popular amongst Japanese players than 6 vs 6. Yes, Random Matchup exists, but still.

And btw, is Kyurem banned? He qualifies as "very high stat Legendary" and Nintendo bans it, but I can't see it anywhere on this list.

Cool stuff, I think I will host a tournament on my site using those rules.

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Awesome. This is exactly what I've been looking for in the past few years. By the way, do you have the link to the rules you posted?

I think this has some relevance to Random Matches. We might find Pokemon and sets that are gimmicky to us, but is not considered as such to them because they don't have a UU/NU or so, and are probably generally less restricted by the "oh this Pokemon sucks it's not worth using mentality" than we might have.

I am surprised at Regigigas falling into that list, considering they took out Slaking. It seems that they just want to group the legendaries together to avoid confusion.

(also Wobbuffet and Garchomp aren't banned here yet in 5th gen lol)

Anyways, cool stuff. Very glad you brought this in here.

Trying my hand at translating something using my extremely limited Japanese reading ability
Ferrothorn said:
性格:しんちょうorなまいき
努力値:HP252 特防252or素早さ調整 残り特防
持ち物:たべのこし/オボンのみ/オッカのみ/ヨプのみ/カゴのみ
確定技:パワーウィップ/やどりぎのタネ
選択技:ジャイロボールorアイアンヘッド/でんじは/まもる/みがわり/ねむる/ステルスロック/どくどく
Nature: Careful or Sassy
EVs: 252 HP, 252 SpDef or Speed (??)
Item(s): Leftovers/Sitrus Berry/Occa Berry/Chople Berry/Chesto Berry
Staple Moves: Power Whip / Leech Seed
Optional Moves (I think? Obviously you pick two lol): Gyro Ball or Iron Head / Thunder Wave / Protect / Substitute / Rest / Stealth Rock / Toxic

Interesting how Spikes isn't mentioned at all here. Perhaps these analyses are geared for 3v3 play? (Or maybe they think Spikes suck but that doesn't seem to be the case as Spikes is mentioned in Skarmory's analysis)

Oh hey they seem to have Ubers as well!

I'll be finding interesting pages and putting them here. If you find any, please post!

http://www14.atwiki.jp/bwpokekousatsu/pages/421.html - Pokemon Counter and Check List.
http://www14.atwiki.jp/bwpokekousatsu/pages/616.html - Random Matchup Usage Stats (?)
http://www14.atwiki.jp/bwpokekousatsu/pages/167.html - Defense Tiers
http://www14.atwiki.jp/bwpokekousatsu/pages/169.html - Special Defense Tiers

Was always a fan of the 600 BST rule and I also seem to recall its also a ruleset enforced by some of the other language communities. Does always make me wonder if this ruleset was to be tried out as an separate option alongside the OU format, how different the metagame would evolve.

And btw, is Kyurem banned? He qualifies as "very high stat Legendary" and Nintendo bans it, but I can't see it anywhere on this list.
Above 600 BST so yeah banned.

EDIT:
Those random matchup stats seem rather low, far as I can see the two right figures are percentage and usage.

This is pretty interesting! Although the strategies for dealing with Wobb don't seem like enough. Most people won't put it in on something with U-Turn and stat-upping doesn't help because it Encores you and sets up someone else, right?

It does explain why I see Japanese players using OHKO moves so much more.

It seems like they have an UBER and an OU tier and thats it.

Id say that I sometimes prefer the European/American system over the Japanese one because I like to play NU/RU often.

GArchOmp being the most used is interesting...not
Btw this is awesome thanks been looking for this for a while now

Carl

or Varl
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I'm pretty sure item clause is already enforced on Random WiFi and, from my experience, Japanese players definitely do not hesitate to use BST 600 pokemon. They would probably use the ubers, too, if it were allowed through random match ups. They definitely did on PBR in gen 4. It seems like "standard rule option A" is just that.. an option.

Not just the japaneS,anyone would use users if possible
In pbr everyone used users pretty much
Anyways it's no surprise chomp got the most usage
That thing is everywhere in ransoms

This gets me thinking that maybe it should be a tier on the Smogon PO server.

Of course it wouldn't be standard, but it would be quite useful for testing strategies to use against Japanese players.

Can anyone here translate or confirm that those are random wifi usage stats

also i concur about enforcing item clause on smogon, its the standard in japan and official tournaments, why not

"If you are facing someone who is Japanese"

>implying that you can battle and talk to Japanese players while living anywhere other than Asia and that you'll be able to agree on a ruleset even though the only possible way to battle them is by random matchup

So, what use is this thread other than just trivia? I see Japanese players using Chomp, Metagross, etc. and I see others just using all-NU's.

I like this, I mean, sounds like an interesing metagame where you run things like Protect and U-Turn on half your team just to scout, and Reflect to have a chance to survive the onslaught of Garchomp,looks like the Japaneses plays the game to the very extreme and they take advantage of every single mon to the max

Can anyone here translate or confirm that those are random wifi usage stats

also i concur about enforcing item clause on smogon, its the standard in japan and official tournaments, why not
Well, google translates the page "fairly" well, but parts of it don't make much sense. Rotom-W is second which sort of makes sense; Espeon, Mence, and Chandlure are all tied for 3rd, in which I never see any of them (Except the very occasional Chandy). Hilariously enough, Blaziken and Infernape are both tied for 7th. Keep in mind this is only one week of usage, though (June 1st-5th) in free mode.

Other Then the lack of Evasion and OHKO Clause, I COMPLETELY AGREE WITH THIS. I think smogon should learn from this system and implement it themselves.

I think this is the top 18
Rank Pokemon Rate Frequency
One Gaburiasu / Measures 21% 23
Two Metagurosu / Measures 20% 22
Three Urugamosu / Measures 17% 18
Three Wed Rotomu / measures 17% 18
Five Bangirasu / Measures 16% 17
Six Genga / Measures 15% 16
Seven Hassam / Measures 14% 15
Seven Ratiosu / Measures 14% 15
Nine Nattorei / Measures 13% 14
Ten Nyorotono / Measures 12% 13
11 Sazandora / Measures 11% 12
11 Doryuuzu / Measures 11% 12
11 Parushen / Measures 11% 12
14 Showers 10% 11
14 Robushin 10% 11
16 Goukazaru / Measures 9% Ten
16 Jadran 9% Ten
18 Efi 8% Nine
18 Ononokusu / Measures 8% Nine
18 GYARADOS 8% Nine
18 Heracross / Measures 8% Nine
18 Bomanda / Measures 8% Nine

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
God i'd hate to have to play with that ruleset. Its terrible and restrictive.

Banning event pokemon? Banning 600BST? Limiting legendaries to 3 per team? Have they used Regice?!?!?! I fucking hate how Lati@s get a free pass without soul dew considering they're stronger than 90% of the banlist.

Why Garchomp and Wobbuffet are not banned in Japan?
Although Garchomp (Yachechomp, or Scarfchomp) is also used widely in Japan, it is not banned because many have managed to find the counter-measure against it such as increase in usage of Pokemons with high defense. Also, movements or ability that decrease Garchomp's its attack power such as intimidate help to defeat Garchomp.
Will-o-wisp and reflect especially are greatly effective against Garchomp.
Famous Garchomp killer pokemons are
Gyarados, Mamoswine, Weavile, and etc.
Not only wrong (its got 600bst), but presumptuous. Do you really think that Smogon haven't tried using all sorts of Garchomp counters? I will humor though, Gyarados isn't a counter and Mamoswine and Weavile don't like switching in (especially the latter)

PS: Is there a japanese Smogon out there? A forum of sorts (that wiki doesn't do it for me)

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Now now let's cool it a bit here. They got their own reasons for their own tier lists (and I would like to see the actual link to the ruleset since the wiki doesn't have it and I've searched all over) and we got ours

*(lets be honest - our system has a few flaws too. For instance it's extremely difficult to get things unbanned. Another worrisome thing is that it allows for too many differing opinions on the metagame and causes some conflict in the community)* .

A few things (assuming the OP pasted the correct ruleset)

1) " Limiting legendaries to 3 per team?"
He meant that as in "trio legends", not 3 legends per team. By rule 1, you can't use any in the team.
2) I am wondering if they have a "Nintendo Official Ruleset" somewhere listed as an option for battling.
3) Impressions: Rule #3 would obviously be the most familiar to me (it's Ubers!), and Rule #2 would highly resemble our OU metagame pre-suspect testing (Moody/Darkrai/Shaymin-S/Deoxys-A)
4) The Japanese may have a different viewpoint on countering than we do. They may tolerate Garchomp much more than most of us (adding to the fact that Evasion Clause is allowed - which makes it harder to get Garchomp banned).

(I mean, I sure do tolerate Garchomp in OU just fine lol)

5) To the original poster: If you log back on and see this thread (and my post), please give us a link to the Japanese rulesets.

This is interesting to read considering my initial thoughts were that our metagame was somewhat similar to others around the world. What are the "rules" in other countries such as Italy? I wonder...

In Italy we follow the same rules of smogon, and there are little site/PO servers that try to do an own uber list simply following the smogon voting system (maybe in a simple manner).

The japanese rules are interesting but the no-evasion clause afraid me lol

I wanna see a pro-wifi-japane-battle on youtube for watching the strategies and the team building they follows.
The pokémon ranking listed by LukeHM is a bit strange don't you think ? Metagross is so high ranked, why ? And Whimsicott and Heracross are top20 lol
Who is Jadran ? i can't find the traslation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)