Crobat (Analysis)

Jio

God is Good
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Crobat

QC [3/3]: Snunch , PK Gaming , Chou Toshio
GP [2/2]: Cosmicexplorer, Flora

[Overview]
<p>Crobat has always been one of the best stallbreakers in the game, and the new generation does nothing to change that. Crobat has excellent synergy with many Pokemon thanks to its multitude of resistances, including an immunity to Ground-type attacks and Toxic, and a 4x resistance to the common Fighting-, Grass-, and Bug-type moves. Crobat's blistering 130 base Speed allows it to outpace the majority of UU, while 85/80/80 defenses give it the durability to switch in multiple times. Despite a weakness to Stealth Rock and a rather shallow offensive movepool, Crobat is still a very solid Pokemon that any team should be prepared for.</p>

[Set]
name: Choice Band
move 1: Brave Bird
move 2: Super Fang
move 3: Pursuit
move 4: U-turn / Toxic
item: Choice Band
nature: Jolly
evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

[Set Comments]
<p>Unlike a traditional stallbreaker set which focuses on whittling down stall teams, this set deals a massive amount of damage from the get-go. Brave Bird is Crobat's most powerful move, and when Crobat is equipped with a Choice Band, it hits like a nuke and will do an insane amount of damage to anything that doesn't resist it. Super Fang chips away 50% of any switch-in's health, which gives Crobat an advantage over its immediate counter or check. Pursuit traps Pokemon such as Alakazam, Espeon, and Mismagius, while U-turn scouts for Crobat's checks so that you can act accordingly to remove it. Toxic, while an unorthodox move on a Choice set, cripples would-be checks Pokemon such as Rhyperior, Zapdos, and Rotom-A, making it easier for Crobat to spam Brave Bird later on.</p>

[Additional Comments]
<p>252 Attack and Speed with a Jolly nature allows Crobat to outspeed most of the metagame while hitting as hard as possible. Other attacks such as Steel Wing and Cross Poison are available, but do not offer significant coverage outside of the moves already listed. This set should be paired up with Donphan or another Rapid Spin user because Crobat will find itself losing quite a bit of health due to Stealth Rock and Brave Bird recoil. Chansey also makes a good teammate with its access to Wish, allowing Crobat to spam Brave Bird without worrying about recoil.</p>

[Set]
name: Stallbreaker​
move 1: Brave Bird
move 2: Roost
move 3: Taunt
move 4: Super Fang / U-turn
item: Leftovers
nature: Jolly​
evs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe

[Set Comments]
<p>Stallbreaker Crobat can be a welcomed member to a team that is weak to stall or needs an answer to Grass-, Bug-, and Fighting-type attacks. Crobat has decent defenses and multiple resistances, which allows it to switch in consistently against offensive and stall teams alike. Brave Bird is invaluable, providing a powerful STAB move that picks off weakened foes and does severe damage to a number of Pokemon. The combination of Super Fang, Taunt, and Roost allows Crobat to slowly whittle down most walls in UU while fearing little in return thanks to its good bulk. This Crobat pairs up nicely with Chansey who can tank most special attacks that Crobat is prone to while Crobat can come in on Fighting-type attacks aimed at Chansey.</p>

[Additional Comments]
<p>252 HP EVs gives Crobat the bulk to survive most neutral or resisted attacks and 252 Speed EVs with a Jolly nature allow it to get off the first move the majority of the time. A bulkier spread consisting of 232 HP / 56 Def / 76 SpD / 144 Spe could be used, if more bulk is wanted, as it still outspeeds everything up to Choice Scarf Abomasnow. U-turn can be used over Super Fang if you're more into scouting Crobat's initial check and obtaining momentum in the process. Taunt is what makes this Crobat a stallbreaker, as it blocks most Pokemon on stall teams from recovering health or inflicting status on Crobat while it whittles them down with Super Fang and Brave Bird. Toxic can be used to weaken down walls such as Chansey, Dusclops, and Deoxys-D, after they've been taunted and can also weaken several other Pokemon, mainly Zapdos and Rotom-H. Toxic Spikes support is helpful for Crobat, as it helps wear down Chansey and Milotic a lot more quickly. This set pairs up nicely with Registeel, as Crobat resists or is immune to Fighting- and Ground-type attacks while Registeel resists Ice- and Rock-type moves. Crobat also pairs up well with Donphan who is immune to Electric type moves, resists Rock-type attacks, and can spin away Stealth Rock which can cripple Crobat in the long run.</p>

[Other Options]
<p> Crobat can utilize Haze to shut down set-up sweepers who've already received some boosts. Bite is an option to hit Rotom for super effective damage; additionally, Crobat's Speed allows it to have a good chance at flinching its opponent. Confuse Ray is also an option to give your opponent a chance to hurt themselves 50% of the time while giving you a free turn. A Nasty Plot set using Sludge Bomb, Heat Wave, and Dark Pulse is an option, but despite Crobat's Speed, it finds itself outclassed by Azelf and Celebi who hit harder and can get past Chansey. Don't use Acrobatics as it's still weaker than Brave Bird even when Crobat is not holding an item, and Crobat prefers to hold a Choice Band or Leftovers. A combination of Curse and White herb can be an interesting gimmick, but it is walled very easily by Rock- and Steel-type Pokemon. Whirlwind is Crobat's only phazing move and is a great move in general, but the fact that it always makes Crobat move last is a turn off.</p>

[Checks and Counters]
<p>Zapdos can take on any move Crobat throws at it and Roost off the damage or do severe damage with Thunderbolt. Most of the Rotom formes, mainly Rotom-H can switch into Crobat fairly easily and hurt it badly with Thunderbolt. Aerodactyl and Jolteon are the only other Pokemon in UU that hit 130 base Speed and they both beat Crobat one on one with their STAB attacks. Registeel and Rhyperior resist Brave Bird and the former can paralyze Crobat while the latter threatens with a Rock-type move. Slowbro and Donphan with their physical bulk are able to withstand multiple Brave Birds from Crobat and retaliate with Psychic or Stone Edge/Ice Shard respectively. Slowbro has Slack Off as well as Regenerator to keep it's health relatively high, while Donphan can set up Stealth Rock to punish Crobat each time it switches in. These two are mainly counters to Choice Band Crobat, however Donphan struggles to KO stallbreaker Crobat as it could simply Roost off any damage and even Taunt to prevent Stealth Rock. Weavile is also a check as an Ice Shard will do a large amount of damage and can pick off a weakened Crobat.</p>

[Dream World]
<p>Crobat's Dream World ability is Infiltrator and it isn't as useful as Inner Focus. It negates the effects of Reflect, Light Screen and Safeguard, but the only use Infiltrator Crobat has is to negate the effect of Reflect. Infiltrator does allow Crobat to beat teams that are supported by dual screens as most teams that do carry them are either fully offensive or Baton Pass chains; a full-powered Brave Bird can punch holes in both with the help of Infiltrator.</p>

Band is somewhat viable, but infinitely outclassed by Staraptor who has Brave Bird, Double-Edge, U-turn, and Close Combat. Oh and Reckless. So I suppose Choice Band isn't really viable these days. I also say no to Nasty Plot as it just doesn't hit hard enough and there are better things Crobat can do.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Band is somewhat viable, but infinitely outclassed by Staraptor who has Brave Bird, Double-Edge, U-turn, and Close Combat. Oh and Reckless. So I suppose Choice Band isn't really viable these days. I also say no to Nasty Plot as it just doesn't hit hard enough and there are better things Crobat can do.
You would just spam both Staraptor and Crobat on the same team...

prem

failed abortion
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
if you've seen Shrang's team, you would know brave bird spam is extremely effective in UU. using both of them works extremely well tbh

Crobat is probably the best counter to an offensive grass and fighting types, something that Staraptor can't do as effectively.
I saw someone using a CB U-Turn, Cross Poison, Brave Bird, Pursuit pretty annoyingly.

I imagine he would be effective against certain weather abusers such as Toxicroak and Executtor namely.

I used to have a team with Scarfed Staraptor and Banded Azelf, and Spammed u-turn... So much ragequitting haha but anyways, I suppose a Choice Band set is viable then ^^

elDino

Deal With It.
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Choice Band is viable in UU, though I wouldn't say so for OU. Go and check out my OU analysis for inspiration. Nasty Plot is outclassed by things such as Azelf and Mew, but you should experiment with it. I personally don't think it's worthy though...

Jio

God is Good
What about using Super Fang or U-Turn over Brave Bird? How is it?
Brave Bird is pretty good for reasons I plan to explain in the set comments

Also I guess CB Crobat seems viable to you guys so I'll write that up to

Though Crobat is already fast, it has trouble with Jolteon as speed ties may result in death. Thats why I think Choice Scarf can be viable to be an amazing scout.

Crobat@ Choice Scarf
nature: Jolly
evs: 252 Spe / 252 Atk / 4 HP
move 1: U- Turn
move 2: Brave Bird
move 3: Cross Poison
move 4: Pursuit

Choice Scarf is pointless really. Corbat works pretty well as a scout without it, and is devastated by the loss of roost without a power boost. And you're always going to lose to Jolteon and Aero- switching is a better choice always (not hard pokemon to wall).
Which is why i dont really think max speed is necessary on the main set. Maybe dropping down to outspeed Sceptile, or even less to just outspeed Azelf, and then moving those EVs to Attack or a defense would be of more use.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Choice Scarf is pointless. Band is viable, especially on a team that is also using Staraptor (to put double the pressure on the foe-- Flying is extremely powerful in UU since Steel/Rock are much less common).

Crobat's Brave Bird is NEVER to be underestimated.

Please, add this set.

[SET]
Name: Special Booster
Crobat@ Focus Sash/Leftovers
nature: Timid
evs: 64 HP / 252 SpA / 194 Spd
move 1: Hypnosis
move 2: Nasty Plot
move 3: Sludge Bomb/Air Slash
move 4: Heat Wave/Dark Pulse

[Set Comments]
  • 378 Speed makes the fastest Hypnosis

• Two easy Nasty Plot gives it 717 SpA

• Heat wave to steel that resist the 2 stab moves to choice and ice counters like Mamoswine and Weavile. Dark pulse to no scarfer Alakazams

Jio

God is Good
Ok I've revamped the OP and added the Choice Band set. I'll finish this up tomorrow and get ready for some QC checks. Also if someone could help me with the EVs on the main set because I agree with Random Pizzaman that Max Speed is pretty useless.

Also I'd doubt Nasty Plot Crobat has any use in UU with Azelf and Celebi especially since those two can get past Chansey

Jio

God is Good
Ok I'm finished with the skeleton and I'm ready for QC checks

However if there are any final changes I should make, I'll get on it

Moo

Professor
is an Artist Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
On the Choice Band set, mention that Staraptor hits way harder with its 120 base attack, dual 120 STABs and reckless. The reasons to use Crobat > Staraptor is its amazing Speed stat and its 4x resistance to fighting vs Staraptor's neutrality.

Rename the Utility set "Stallbreaker", it's a more suited to shutting down stall than acting as a utility. And mention Toxic Spike support in Additional Comments because it helps Crobat against bulky Water-types, Chansey, etc.

Also, it's 252 Spe not Spd. You should change it or people might get it mixed up with Special Defense (SpD)

Please, add this set.

[SET]
Name: Special Booster
Crobat@ Focus Sash/Leftovers
nature: Timid
evs: 64 HP / 252 SpA / 194 Spd
move 1: Hypnosis
move 2: Nasty Plot
move 3: Sludge Bomb/Air Slash
move 4: Heat Wave/Dark Pulse

[Set Comments]
  • 378 Speed makes the fastest Hypnosis

• Two easy Nasty Plot gives it 717 SpA

• Heat wave to steel that resist the 2 stab moves to choice and ice counters like Mamoswine and Weavile. Dark pulse to no scarfer Alakazams
With this you can beat Escavalier, Durant, Frosslass and probably others like sigiliph, golurk, azelf, alakazam, abomasnow... It's a good alternative to counter pokemon that normally have advantages against it.

breh

強いだね
if you're using special, you're better off using Honchkrow, IMO. Yeah, it's not as fast, but it has more immediate power.

Salamence can be a special sweeper too but Hydreigon is more powerfull. However, who can think that Salamence was not a common Sweeper? Crobat the same.
It is the surprise factor

Jio

God is Good
I made that change Saladbagle and now I'm ready for some QC checksRaikoben, I can add the Nasty Plot set in AC, because I don't think surprise factors warrants a set.

breh

強いだね
mention Toxic (in the event that your opponent haphazardly switches their non-steel typed counter into it, you can heavily disable it if it's a wall) somewhere, possibly? Even in the Choice Band set, Toxic may sometimes be a greater fear to Crobat's counters than Brave Bird (see Rhyperior).

Brave Bird is invaluabe as it provides a poweful stab move for picking off weakened foes or causing severe damage to a number of pokemon.
You misspelled invaluable here.

Likewise, could you add somewhere that Crobat is a great weather starter in the lower tiers because of its blazing speed and access to Sunny Day (and Heat Wave!) and Rain Dance? I feel like his utility as a weather starter atleast deserves a mention, especially since there are no priority rain dances/sunny days in UU and such.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)