the long overdue digimon thread

has anyone mentioned the digimon world game? I've only played the first one, but it's one of my all time favouites. badly translated, near broken battle system, impossible to get what you want without knowledge of the game, it had so many flaws but it was so good.

has anyone mentioned the digimon world game? I've only played the first one, but it's one of my all time favouites. badly translated, near broken battle system, impossible to get what you want without knowledge of the game, it had so many flaws but it was so good.
Yeah, few of us mentioned it including I and

wait
oh my god
your username is my real life name

EDIT: Also, almost everyone I knew bought a digimon tamagotchi thing when we were kids. I still have mine, it's the yellow version and i remember frequently having to clean the shit the digimon makes every day otherwise it turns into that freaking nunemon that everyone hates. doublealso, digimon world for ps1 was freaking awesome of a rpg game albeit it's ridiculous difficulty for a kid's game imo
Was that the one where you had to shake that motherfucker for a battle or something? I think I dropped that in the toilet and it stopped working.

not gonna lie, the anime kicked the pokemon animes ass. stuck with it until season 3, even though season 2 really stunk. Too bad too, because the movie would have been awesome if the final segment hadnt been atrociously edited. I met the director at comic con a few years ago and he said that he left when he was was forced to make that nonsensical edit (how veemon and gargomon find the golden digi eggs... somehow.)

anyways, i admit it. i was a total digimon dork

It's time for this thread to WARP(to first page)DIGIVOLVE!

Yeh, I had planned a myriad of pictures, but this guy is hard to pose. Metal Garurumon's head and his torso like to pop off easily, but other than that it is a solid figure. Fucking (DIGI)chrome sword man.

I'm most likely going to be beaked at for necroing, but is anybody else excited for Digimon World: Redigitized. By the looks of it, it'll be a lot like the original Digimon World game. Sadly, I don't think there will be a release outside of Japan as Bamco hasn't localized any Digimon games since World Championships. Also the artist of Durarara is involved in this so I'm pretty pumped.

But anyways, here's a link to the teaser:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ap5LHlC5rzs

I'm pretty pumped though, and I hope that it'll be a lot like Digimon World.
Also here's the official site if you can read moonrunes or just want to look at some screenshots.
http://www.bandaigames.channel.or.jp/list/digimon_game/index.html

vm'd doomsday about this a while ago, it is probably the greatest thing ahhh

also yeah devs have confirmed that it will borrow heavily from the first digimon world game, as it was lauded the most by fans. hopefully there's still some city building shit!!!!!!

The only thing I'm slightly afraid of is no English port. I'm ok with the Super Robot Wars series not getting one as I don't play those games for the plot, and if I wanted to I could find the story translations easily online, but for Re:Digitize, I don't think I could play the japanese version.

Also, I rewatched X-Evolution and I have to say it has some really insane action in it. Also bringing the old voices of Agumon, Gabumon, Veemon, and Guilmon for that movie is pretty awesome too.

Bumping a super dead thread rather than making a new one I mean whos going to stop me

Anyway I bothered to watch the 6th and 7th seasons of Digimon the past couple of weeks because I was bored. Only available subbed, which I normally don't like because I have to actually pay attention, but it was half worth it. Let me start with one point: if you haven't watched Xros Wars, go watch it right now. I will try to convince you why a little bit with this post.

I thought the 6th season -- Xros Wars -- was easily the best thing the Digimon franchise has ever done. Like, it's not even close, and I loved Adventure and Tamers. I downloaded it just expecting some lighthearted, poorly written nostalgia, but what I got was so good that if it wasn't both Digimon and subbed I would suggest it to non-monster lovin' friends. While they didn't do anything perfectly, the character development, writing, and plot were way better than anything I expected and I had a hard time to stopping once I started watching. Had a couple really late nights with the series.

Xros Wars is the first season I thought almost all of the Digimon characters were interesting or well developed, and in most cases were both. I was expecting Shoutmon, the protagonist's main digimon, to hold the series back because he was ultra annoying at first, but he wound up getting developed decently well and kind of being what Tai was to the season 1 cast rather than Davis to season 2's, I guess. He's a little too excitable/aggressive, which is an archetype I haven't liked in the past, but he's balanced out really well by having a calmer human partner which makes for a better combo than aggro/aggro as has been done to death in the past(season 7 goes back to this and suffers terribly for it). Taiki is by far the best protagonist the series has ever had IMO and unlike his Digimon, is not the aggressive/energetic archetype and is actually very strategically talented and tactful. He gets more development throughout the season than most previous humans and is one of the first characters where I feel like he could reasonably have accomplished what he did based on his personality rather than just winning because he's the good guy in an anime. Three of the other five major humans, Akira, Kiriha, and Nene, get pretty good development too, though in Kiriha's case most of it is about 40 episodes in. Kiriha is a pretty worn out character archetype but they do pretty great things with him in the lat fourth of the season that makes it worth it, giving him depth that characters like Matt in Season 1 didn't get. A lot of the Digimon -- Dorulumon, Beelzemon, Sparrowmon, Minervamon, DarkKnightmon, Burgamon, Tactimon, sort of Greymon and Shoutmon's interaction, even some of the 3 episode arc characters like Lopmon, Apollomon, and Olegmon -- end up being a lot more mature and compelling than most of the previous seasons' digimon and add a lot of investment for the viewer: it's really hard not to care about them in a way that I just didn't with most of the previous seasons' casts. The writers do a great job with what they have as far as screen time, too: Xros Wars is separated into a bunch of episodes in "zones" in the first half of the season and then "Death Generals" in the second half, but in addition to just having the clear short-term objectives of clearing the area each section tends to give one major character development as well (Shoutmon in the first zone, new party members, DigiMemories, sort of Kiriha in the second, Dorulumon, Cutemon, Kiriha and Nene in 3rd, Akira and more party members in 4th, Beelzemon in 5th, etc.). The one thing that will probably turn people off a lot is that everything is fusion-based rather than evolution based like previous season -- the first evolution isn't even until the midway point between seasons -- but I like the strategy behind it since it adds more to the series than DIGIVOLVE TO ULTIMATE AND MASH WITH YOUR ATTACKS LIKE THE LAST 6 EPISODES! My eyes watered in 5 or 6 different episodes, if you let yourself get into it the series will take you on amazing journey. Fantastic.

Season 7 I had massive expectations for after season 6. I was super impressed by how good 6 was and expected more of the same because Hunters is an add-on to Xros Wars, going as far as to feature Taiki and another season 6 character in the main cast (do not look it up if you don't already know it is a significant late season 6 spoiler). The new protagonist makes all the mistakes the writers were smart enough not to make with Taiki in 6 and the writers also do a terrible job giving the other two major party members screentime. There's really only one boarderline fulfilling battle led by the season 6 cast in spite of the presence which winds up being pretty meaningless. 4 of the 6 humans from season 6 wind up only showing up in 4 episodes each which is pretty irritating given how good they were in the previous season and how annoying the new protagonist is. Whereas Season 6's balance was good -- Kiriha gets entire sections and major enemies to defeat to develop his character in spite of playing second fiddle to Taiki, and even Nene gets some major moments to herself -- no one in 7 gets to do basically anything in spite of the writers being supplied with some awesome characters from the previous season. 20 of 25 episodes are completely filler and unnecessary. Tons of fan service at the end with poorly explained and unnecessary cameos. Final boss appears out of no where like the FF9 villain which is pretty disappointing compared to Season 6 which had amazing buildup and the fight itself wasn't satisfying, either. The new characters in 7 are all weak and underdeveloped, as well, even Ryouma, who they sort of try to give a personality in the final hour before using him as a deus ex machina to let Tagiru carry the ending when it otherwise would have made no sense.

I was worried a little that I was just irritated with Season 7 for similar reasons to why I wasn't in love with season 2 the first time I saw it -- same universe, weaker cast -- but it was more the weaker execution and weak new characters that bother me. Tagiru is a bigger downgrade from Taiki than Davis from Tai and it's made even worse by Taiki being present but not doing anything(though the sort-of-mentorship between Taiki/Tagiru and their digimon is one of the few high points of the series).

Rambling, I guess, but I would strongly, strongly suggest season 6 to everyone. Go and download it right now. You can probably skip 7, but you won't want to after you finish 6 because it is that amazing.

Eh, I stopped watching digimon after partway through the 2nd season and then picked back up when digimon data squad came on TV. Digimon is pretty awesome, but I find the designs to be a bit too cluttered at times. Like, way too many missiles and amour plating.

I honestly haven't watched Digimon ever since they started season 5, and the only reason I stopped was because at the time they stopped subbing them. Though this thread is pretty old, it seems people didn't enjoy Digimon Frontier as much as I have. Oh well, I guess I should try and finish season 5, and I'll definitely check out season 6 Synre.

Synre, I stopped watching Xros Wars due to fucking Zenjiro. God, he's one of the most annoying charaters I've seen in a Digimon series since... I have no clue. Also season 7 had a nostalgia trip for the final few episodes.

I didn't mind him so much toward the end of the first half of the season, but it's not like he's a permanent fixture or ever gets that much screentime, anyway. Definitely the worst of Xros Wars' cast, though.

Eraddd

One Pixel
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Loved Tamers, and after reading this thread, probably will check out xros wars. I remember watching the first two episodes of it and wasn't really impressed but I guess like most 20+ episode shows, you just got to stick it out a bit, especially with Digimon.

Looking like the odds of it getting translated into English are pretty bleak but I guess Digimon World 1 wasn't really translated into English much either so

I've been in a mood to play the Digimon games lately with my anime watching. Trying to play 3 again but find gameplay horribly slow, I've beaten 1 soooo many times but might just have to fall back on it again (at least it has the blue MetalGreymom model iirc so I can roleplay Kiriha or something). I was going to buy Digimon World 2 since I never beat it as a kid but I couldn't find it cheaper than 50 bucks which I'm pretty sure I'm not going to pay... though I feel like I'll want it eventually and worry about the price going up even more. Maybe I'll just get Dusk/Dawn or something and use an extraneous Xros Wars character party set-up with Beelzemon and Apollomon and something -_-;

There are Xros Wars games that are out. Sadly, they're all in Japanese, but there are some out.
Also Re-Digitized in less than 2 months, so I'm pretty psyched.

Looking like the odds of it getting translated into English are pretty bleak but I guess Digimon World 1 wasn't really translated into English much either so
i'm trying to think of a cute mistranslation a la monster rancher 2 that we can both giggle about, but you're totally right, the game just isn't in english. it's in some awkward tongue, invented and forgotten during the translation process, meaning unable to break through the confines of what can only be called gibberish. nothing makes any sense.

quoth tanemon:

'rain plant fruit?
it grows here ever year on the 15th
you can use it
for what?'

betamon is great too. when you first meet him he says

'guru...
gururun...
something came to life!'

then once you've progressed to the point where he gets to relax in the central fountain, he imparts unto the player a lesson so important it transcends tautology: 'when youre comfortable it feels good'. uh, yeah, i -- i guess?

not to mention the even weirder pre-battle quotes from enemy digimon. it's just a completely different feel from other games with poor translations, you kind of get the impression that you are incapable of feeling whatever emotions these digimon have.

the later digimon world games just weren't as interesting in a sociolinguistic experiment sense. also the first game is fun in that it's the kind of game you can play fervently, get bored of a week later, and replay six months later with the same enthusiasm you once had. this cycle has lasted me over ten years with no signs of breaking.

ps cutest moment in video game history is when you kick ogremon out of whamon's cave and as he leaves in his submarine he shouts 'bye, dumb guys!'

I bet our posts would look like Jumpman's if we didn't play so many of these horrifically mistranslated games as kids and also as adults.

I got bored of trying to make myself play DW3 and am still too cheap to buy DW2 or Dusk/Dawn so I started a new file on DW1 again. I suspect this will last all of 3 hours but what the hell.

EDIT: LOL I can't believe they asked "Do you have friends Y/N" at the beginning of this game that's like MR2 Quiz tier. What poor kid answered no to that...

(I answered no this time but it was NOT because I didn't have friends I just wanted Gabumon OK)

EDIT2: lol the translation was even worse than I remember. "What happen to island?", using thru instead of through high points so far.

Hahaha theres an item called "Protection" and the character tends to react with Woah! when looting an item.

Protection
Woah!

I guess I looted an item or passed sex ed. either or.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)