Dustox

Dustox

Bug - Poison
60/50/70/50/90/65
Shield Dust: Damaging moves used by the opponent will no have a secondary effect.

Compound Eyes(DW):
Raises the Pokemon's accuracy by 30%.

Level-Up Moves:
Confusion: lvl 10
Gust: lvl 13
Protect: lvl 17
Moonlight: lvl 20
Psybeam: lvl 24
Whirlwind: lvl 27
Light Screen: lvl 31
Silver Wind: lvl 34
Toxic: lvl 38
Bug Buzz: lvl 41
Quiver Dance: 45

TM moves:
TM06 Toxic
TM09 Venoshock
TM10 Hidden Power
TM11 Sunny Day
TM15 Hyper Beam
TM16 Light Screen
TM17 Protect
TM21 Frustration
TM22 Solarbeam
TM27 Return
TM29 Psychic
TM30 Shadow Ball
TM32 Double Team
TM36 Sludge Bomb
TM40 Aerial Ace
TM42 Facade
TM44 Rest
TM45 Attract
TM46 Thief
TM48 Round
TM53 Energy Ball
TM62 Acrobatics
TM68 Giga Impact
TM70 Flash
TM76 Struggle Bug
TM87 Swagger
TM89 U-turn
TM90 Substitute

Notable Gen 4-only moves:
Roost

Yep, that's it :/

Notes:

Bug-Poison Typing:
With the abundance of Fighting moves and the growing threat of Grass and Bug moves, Dustox's typing is great for tanking these types of hits since Dusty here 4x resists all three of them. Although Dustox's typing is it's only saving grace and the only reason you should be using it in OU at all.

Reliable Recovery: Roost helps ease a bit of the damage Dustox will undoubtedly be taking for your team. It also helps that it resists some common moves.

A Great Ability: Shield Dust is something most players don't expect, mostly because they don't even know what it does. Not only are you immune to T-bolt, Ice Beam, Flamethrower, and Iron Head hax, you're also immune to Scald's burning effect.

Bad Stats and Movepool: Despite the good ability and typing, Dustox has pretty low stats everywhere and it's move pool is pretty shallow and dosn't give it many options.

Possible sets in OU:

- Heavy Dancer
@ Leftovers
252 HP/ 252 Defense/ 4 Sp.Attack
Bold or Modest
- Bug Buzz
- Quiver Dance
- Roost
- *Filler Attack*

Trying to abuse Dustox's typing and somewhat decent bulk, you can set up a sweep after a couple of Quiver Dances.(And by a "couple", I mean 6)
With no haxy burns from bulky waters using Scald, you can boost up your Sp.Attack and Speed to usable levels whilst also having a huge amount of Special Defense. Immunity to Toxic and T.Spikes along with roost to heal off Stealth Rock is fantastic. For attacks, you can't really do much. No matter what you do, you'll be walled by something as Bug + Anything is never good enough, though I like to use Hidden Power Ice/Sludge Bomb for Dragons.

- Stalling in Fear
@ Leftovers
252 HP/ 252 Speed/ 4 Sp.Defense(Not 100% on the Speed)
Bold or Calm or Timid
- Toxic
- Protect
- Substitute
- Roost

A nice little Toxic stalling set that's possibly out-done by something else, but Dustox's typing might be better as it can give you a free turn.
With Protect, Substitute, and Roost to keep you healthy, Toxic stalling something like Tyranitar shouldn't be too difficult as Stone Edge is bound to miss with the Substitutes.

I know Dustox's stats seem terrible, but many also thought Quagsire's were terrible and look at him taking such powerful hits now.
Even if Dustox is barely used, maybe it has a niche in OU with its typing.

Please Discuss possibilities if any at all for our little forgotten moth friend.

Why did nintendo give it compound eyes, and all 100% moves?
Saying that, it faces stiff competition with butterfree, which barely has anything against Venomoth. To butterfree and Venomoth, it loses the ability to powder. It does get one a double weakness to stealth rocks though, as opposed to a quadruple weakness with butterfree. Its also a tab bit more bulky then butterfree on both sides, and teing Venomoth physically defensively and beating it specially defensively. So it might get another opportunity to set up quiver dance. But its much slower then both, and has severely weaker special attack.

Quagsire was terrible because Swampert outclassed it(and everyone was obsessed with Mudkip, if you know what I mean), the only saving grace was Water Absorb. With Gen 5, Quagsire now gets Unaware, allowing it to troll a lot of people like Conkelderp, Scrafty, Reuniclus, etc.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
TM13, wrong thread?

On-topic, it gets completely outclassed by Venomoth, who has Tinted Lens AND can Baton Pass its Quiver Dances.

TM13, wrong thread?

On-topic, it gets completely outclassed by Venomoth, who has Tinted Lens AND can Baton Pass its Quiver Dances.
Exactly. Venomoth can even be used in RU so Dustox has absolutely nothing worthwhile over it. Its not only outclassed completely, its not even good, or at the very least better than useless.

Dustox is still really bad. There's no getting over those horrible stats. Venomoth is always the better choice as it actually has passable SpAtk and Speed, can pass the boosts, and has Sleep Powder. Even in the hypothetical NU tier, you'd probably be better off using Butterfree since it's stronger, slightly faster, also has Sleep Powder, and can choose between making that Sleep Powder almost perfectly accurate (Compoundeyes) or having mostly unresisted coverage (Tinted Lens).

Also, just an FYI, but you mixed up its base SpAtk and base SpDef in the OP (you have it as 90/50 but it should be 50/90).

There was a warstory involving this little beast a while back, and it is underrated. With Toxic, Roost, Protect or Substitute, and U-Turn and Max Defense with a defensive item, it is a prime threat against slow enemies. IDK what the warstory name was, but it seems to have some genuine worth. Also, the stat spread has Special Attack and Special Defense inverted.

breh

強いだね
ok, I'm sorry but why would you make this thread now?

I understood people making really random pokemon threads before BW's release in the US, but it's just genuinely stupid now.

there's not much more to say that hasn't already been said. Dustox is good for trolling Stone Edge-less Machamps and then it's useless venomoth can do that too, nvm. End of story.

Also, Shield Dust is a far superior option to Compoundeyes. Being able to switch into status-potential and hax offense moves is very useful, especially in NU and RU.

Also, Shield Dust is a far superior option to Compoundeyes. Being able to switch into status-potential and hax offense moves is very useful, especially in NU and RU.

If you aren't using Dusty for it's typing + Shield Dust, you shouldn't use it as those are it's only advantages.

Still, I was able to make Dustox work in OU(although it was troublesome) and it did manage to tank some hits for the rest of my team without losing much HP and then recovering it right back.

The poison moth cries :L

Jirachee

phoenix reborn
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Psychic can be a good filler move on the Heavy Dancer set since it allows you to hurt them before they try (and most likely succeed) using Stone Edge. But still, its ridiculously weak to revenge kill, and has nothing to do in OU.

Oh, Dustox. I really like him, but Gamefreak relegated him to being a specifically early-game Pokemon. They had him outclassed by Venomoth just as Beautifly is outclassed by Mothim.

As a defensive Pokemon, though, Dustox has higher defenses and Light Screen over Venomoth. I like the Heavy Dancer set, it's a cool use of Quiver Dance equally for offense and defense.

Oh, and if Toxic wasn't a TM, people wouldn't laugh at Dustox so much! Making Toxic such an exclusive level-up move in general and then giving it to nearly everyone via TM is frustrating.

Oh, Dustox. I really like him, but Gamefreak relegated him to being a specifically early-game Pokemon. They had him outclassed by Venomoth just as Beautifly is outclassed by Mothim.

As a defensive Pokemon, though, Dustox has higher defenses and Light Screen over Venomoth. I like the Heavy Dancer set, it's a cool use of Quiver Dance equally for offense and defense.

Oh, and if Toxic wasn't a TM, people wouldn't laugh at Dustox so much! Making Toxic such an exclusive level-up move in general and then giving it to nearly everyone via TM is frustrating.
I actually used the Heavy Dancer set in OU and it worked against more specially inclined teams. It was pretty fun to use actually due to the actual challenge of setting up and then watching this weak moth murder.
Just really wish it had Reflect to be like a mini-Lugia :P

Except he cant really switch into those moves because he doesnt have any bulk.
But we should still approach this pokemon as if he was used in RU, not OU.

I know this is the standard section, but considering there's a lack of an RU section, this thread can't be put in a proper section.

Now sure, he's no Umbreon or Cresselia, but if used properly, he can use his resistances well. Especially that 4x resistance to fighting and his decent special defense for everything special he isn't weak to.

He learns whirlwind, so he can counter quiverpassing Venomoth.
Which makes him useful enough if you have problems with venomoth.

But we should still approach this pokemon as if he was used in RU, not OU.
For sure. But even in RU, he has to put up with hitters like Rhyperior, Yanmega, Alakazam, Moltres, Gallade, and Honchkrow. While his chances are better in RU, he still cant take hits.

The only reason to use compound eyes is toxic. shield dust prevents burn from scald. Although it still sucks, at least it got something this gen (quiver Dance), unlike flareon, who only got flame charge.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)