Flygon

With most people packing a Gliscor, Skarm or defensive Rotom-W on their team for a potential Excadrill threat. I doubt Flygon will have many opportunities at doing significant damage. Not to mention Ferrothorn that pretty much walls it physically. Unless it uses Fire blast on the switch in, although that all comes down to prediction since pretty much the only set people will run is the old Scarf' set or a gimmicky Hone Claws one. Both of which are outclassed by many other pokemon especially Land genie.

Flygon is still weak by the current metagame standards. It will have a hard time fitting in regardless.
People said the same thing back when Garchomp was banned in gen IV. Gliscor and Mamoswine were considered to be superior replacements for an offensive ground type back then, yet we all know where he (Flygon) eventually ended.

That being said I don't think Flygon will rise too much, if at all, in the current gen. At very best he will end up in the lower parts of OU with Tornadus and Venusaur... that is, unless some popular user starts making dozens of threads titled "Flygon is awesome" which will push him up in the usage ranks like in good ol' gen 4 OU, lol.

Flygon is Awesome @ Life Orb
252 SpAtk/252 Spe/4 Atk
Naive / Levitate

Draco Meteor
Fire Blast/Earth Power
HP Ice
U-turn/Earth Power

Yuuuuuuuuup. Base 100 Speed AND Ground stab means Hydreigon/Latis don't 100% outclass it. Plus who the hell will expect HP Ice on a flygon...Great lure set.

Landorus outclasses Flygon now, he have U-turn, a stronger EQ, Stone Edge, and is immune to Ground too, the only thing that Flygon can do in OU now is go defensive to counter Excadrill. Flygon attacks are pretty lame, scarf outrage doesn't even 2HKO Blissey.
The little dragon is a good UU anyway, just let it there when it can shine.

BurningMan

fueled by beer
i think the Lure set could work pretty well HP Ice destroys every Gliscor and Fireblast has a good chance to 2HKO 252/252+ Ferrothorn with SR in the rain, if you use a +SpA Nature. SDef Skarmory gets almost OHKO'd with SR, while Physically variants get stand no chance and even get 2HKO'd in the rain.
Bronzong faces a 2HKO losing 59-69% on the switch in

Sure its weak, but it works against its counters wich is everything that counts for a lure.

People said the same thing back when Garchomp was banned in gen IV. Gliscor and Mamoswine were considered to be superior replacements for an offensive ground type back then, yet we all know where he (Flygon) eventually ended.

That being said I don't think Flygon will rise too much, if at all, in the current gen. At very best he will end up in the lower parts of OU with Tornadus and Venusaur... that is, unless some popular user starts making dozens of threads titled "Flygon is awesome" which will push him up in the usage ranks like in good ol' gen 4 OU, lol.
Let's not pretend that Mamoswine and Gliscor were used primarily as revenge killers, which is where Flygon had its niche last gen what with its 100 base speed and good STAB combo.

This gen, even that speed won't help because it is too weak to revenge the things it needs to if they are healthier. Garchomp dished out 10%-11% on average, which is one switch less into Spikes or Stealth Rock. Plus, Flygon's bulk (which was average last gen) is decidedly mediocre this generation, especially when Drizzle and Drought will be powering up the threats that Flygon is trying to revenge.

Priority is still everywhere as well, such as Conkeldurr's Mach Punch, Scizor's Bullet Punch, and Azumarill's Rain Aqua Jet. Chomp could stomach those decently, but the story is different for Flygon. I would much prefer to use ScarfLandorus (who has similar power in Sand or otherwise), ScarfTerrakion, or even ScarfMienshao for my revenge killing duties.

I love the dragonfly dragon I really do, but he would have been soooooo much better if GF hadn't trolled it by withholding Tinted Lens as a DW ability.

Yeah I hate to say this, but Flygon really needed Tinted Lens to be OU viable this gen. (If it got Tinted Lens, however, it would have been amazing. Unresistable 120BP STAB is fantastic even off only 100 base.) It does at least have an outrage as powerful as Starmies Hydro Pump, so it's not completely feeble, but then Starmie fails the definite OHKO on Thundurus without SR, so the big you-really-need-to-revenge-me Pokemon isn't always beaten.
Still, I can hope GF suddenly give him Tinted Lens and Swords Dance in Grey. That would be pretty damn boss, since after SD you literally kill everything. You would maybe need to weaken bulkier Pokemon to 60-70%, but as soon as you got there, confusion would be the only thing stopping your sweep.

80 base special attack is pathetic.
Garchomp could run that exact set (with Surf replacing U-Turn) and it was still considered a gimmick set because of the pathetic damage it dealt.

I doubt it can even 2HKO Ferrothorn in the Rain with Fire Blast.

If you want to use Flygon, go physical or don't even bother.
I never said Flygon was good. That's just basically the only set he can run that another dragon can't do better, because of a couple unique advantages and its type combo. Admittedly, those things don't account for very much, but some people just like Flygon, which is the only reason we're even discussing this mediocre pokemon in the first place.

On top of this, 100 isn't that much better than 80. Here's some perspective:

Draco Meteor: 259 Atk vs 236 Def & 341 HP (140 Base Power): 216 - 255 (63.34% - 74.78%)
Outrage: 299 Atk vs 236 Def & 341 HP (120 Base Power): 211 - 250 (61.88% - 73.31%)

Because of higher-power moves and bias towards physical defense, Flygon hits just as hard if not harder with a mostly special moveset.

Flygon could possibly pull off an effective SubRoost set with its speed, immunity to hazards, and STAB EQ to hit steels with, but I'm not sure that would fare as well as something like Gliscor.

Lure Set?

Flygon@Life Orb
IV's: 30 HP/30 Def
EV's:236 Att / 224 Sp. Att / 40 Spe
Lonely
-Earthquake
-Fire Blast
-Hidden Power [Ice]
-Outrage

The point of this is to beat the common Glis/Tran/Rotom/Rachi core. 40 Spe EV outspeeds standard Rotom-W/Gliscor (by 2 points) and can KO with Outrage (and SR) and HP Ice, respectively. Standard Ferrothorn OHKO'd by Fire Blast. EQ beats TTar 25% of the time. EQ beats Jirachi 76% of the time. Scizor OHKO'd by Fire Blast if he switchs in predicting an Outrage. Latios KO'd with Outrage. Just don't use this against Politoed. KO's Ninetails too with EQ (assuming max HP).

EQ Flygon vs. Ninetails (252/252+): 94.8%-112%; 69% to KO
EQ Flygon vs. Jirachi (252 HP): 95.5%-112.8%; 76% to KO
EQ Flygon vs. Tyranitar (252 HP): 81.1%-104%; 25% to KO
HP Ice Flygon vs. Gliscor (252 HP): 100.6%-118.6%; OHKO
Fire Blast Flygon vs. Ferrothorn (252/208): 101.1%-119.3%; OHKO
Fire Blast Flygon vs. Scizor (248 HP): 167.4%-197.7%; OHKO
EQ Flygon vs. Heatran (252 HP): 189.6%-223.8%; OHKO
Outrage Flygon vs. Rotom-W (112 HP): 80.7%-95.2%

Thoughts?

November Blue

A universe where hot chips don't exist :(
is a Contributor Alumnus
Flygon kinda has a niche as a Choice Bander. STAB Earthquake and Outrage, plus Fire Punch, Stone Edge ect. are quite powerful.

JellyOs, do you even know what you're saying?

Perhaps you meant Flygon? Well, Flygon can OHKO 252/0 Scizor with a banded Fire Punch.

If Excadrill goes to UBERS and Garchomp doesn't go to OU then Flygon will definitely go to OU just like in Gen 4 but Sczior is OHKO by Fire punch 100%

Assuming you have +2, assuming Sand, assuming LO, Landorus can beat Ferro. Most Landorus sets are choice, and Flygon doesn't need to be on a sand team. If Flygon has a niche this gen, it's that set.

Assuming you have +2, assuming Sand, assuming LO, Landorus can beat Ferro. Most Landorus sets are choice, and Flygon doesn't need to be on a sand team. If Flygon has a niche this gen, it's that set.
It's kind of hard to be sarcastic on the internet, you know.

It's not even that hard to get all those things; if you're unable to pull off a swords dance somethings fucked up, and if you don't win the weather war that's your problem, not mine. Double Dance Landorus also usually holds LO anyways so your point is invalid. And no, there are still a lot of double dance Landorus, not just choice.

-_______- My point is that Landorus is usually better, but if Flygon has anything this gen to differentiate itself, it's his movepool

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)