Ask a simple question, get a simple answer - VGC edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
True. I'll check to see if Reuniclus can OHKO a balanced Def and SpD Amoonguss. Gimme a second.

Edit: There is a very slim chance that a max SpA Reuniclus will OHKO a Amoonguss with balanced Def and SpD stats. Very slim. About 8%, if that. I don't think it's possible to ensure a OHKO unless they don't run SpD EVs or you run Specs. But don't run Specs.

Should Vanilluxe run max speed for a VGC choice scarf set? or should I just go with the analysis? I saw 196 speed evs in the analysis. Can I outspeed the genies if I go max or very close to it?

BlueCookies

April Fools 2009 Participant
VGC '10, '11, '12 Masters Champion
This sounds like a dumb question even to me, but in my paranoia, I have to ask it. If you haven't beaten the elite four, is that a problem getting in to vgcs? I've been avoiding facing Reshirim until I rng it, which I haven't had the time to do, and want to be absolutely sure I can get accepted.

Edit: never mind, I guess this still applies?
http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2652047&highlight=elite#post2652047
lol I only had 2 badges on the cart I used at worlds and I only had 1 today

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Should Vanilluxe run max speed for a VGC choice scarf set? or should I just go with the analysis? I saw 196 speed evs in the analysis. Can I outspeed the genies if I go max or very close to it?
The only relevant thing above base 111 is Whimsicott, which will go before you no matter what. Beating the genies is all you need, unless you're worried about other scarfers.

kingofmars

Its 2015 somewhere
won the 2nd Smogon VGC Tournamentis a Past SPL Champion
has anyone seen pokemon cosplayers attend? I'm thinking about wearing my gijinka latias but I'm not sure >.<
In San Jose I saw people dressed like Scrafty and Skymin, as well as a girl who was cosplaying as the girl protagonist in black & white, forget the name.

Although only a few people will dress up for the VGC's, it is an intresting thing to see. At Dallas one person dressed up has the girl protagonist and one has an Oshawatt. Go for it.

What's the most popular or best set Jellicent runs? I know it involves water spout obviously. I can't decide from the analysis though.

Are 252 Speed evs and a modest nature needed on Jellicent w/ Tailwind support, or should some speed evs be shifted to HP?
You hit 332 Max with tailwind and scarf. If you run into any enemy tailwind teams, I think anything with over base 95 or maybe even 90 will beat you with TW support. So if you cut on the speed EVs, you may run into some trouble. Whereas, if you run timid, you hit around 369, which is a nice, high number. Infact, running timid lets you outspeed things like terrakion and base111s with tailwind support. This allows you to hit thundurus before he T-bolts you. Wait, actually, by my calculations, this allows you to outspeed WHIMSICOTT by 1 point. I suggest now that you change the nature, seeing as that would allow you a HUGE boost in speed. You would be faster than a Tailwinded whimsicott.
EDIT: Oh hold on, I thought you had scarf. Actually, with a modest nature, 252 EVs, and tailwind, you hit 220.... definitely not as awesome as it would be if it was Tailwind with a scarf.....

Are 252 Speed evs and a modest nature needed on Jellicent w/ Tailwind support, or should some speed evs be shifted to HP?

Tailwind doubles its speed so not many EVs are needed. At an 80 speed speed stat it doubles to 160 (correct me if I'm wrong), which still falls short of important pokemon. You're better off bulking up with HP instead and putting enough speed EVs that help you outspeed your worst fears after Tailwind is set up.

Draco Meteor or Dragon Pulse? I know its a debate power vs accuracy and how you can't pick a target. I wanna see what more people prefer?

I use 80 speed EVs with Modest. That makes you go before genies if you have Tailwind and they don't, which is quite an important outspeed to get.

EDIT: and if unlike mine, your Jellicent is flawless, you'll probably only need 76...

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Draco Meteor or Dragon Pulse? I know its a debate power vs accuracy and how you can't pick a target. I wanna see what more people prefer?
You can't pick a target? I thought that was only for Outrage.

Anyway, I personally prefer Dragon Pulse, since switching is so hard in doubles and leaving in a crippled sweeper isn't a very good idea either.

JRank

Jonny
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Max Speed Timid Jellicent with a Choice Scarf outspeeds the genies and speedties with Whimsicott. No Tailwind needed.
someone had to say it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)