RU Threat List

Status
Not open for further replies.
Uhh who are you playing? If your Magneton is outspeeding Lilligants and Venomoths to get off a Magic Coat before they put you to sleep, you're facing absolute idiots.
I'm assuming you aren't familiar with how Magic Coat works. The move has +4 priority. Speed is not a concern, sir.

You're wrong in assuming how the Alakazam will be played. A good Alakazam player doesn't sub on while the opponent switches, he actually sets up a Calm Mind. Then he would set up a second CM while you Ice Beam, and then Alakazam is free to set up subs you can't break until he gets to +6. Then you've been swept. The common Alakazam set uses Psychock and not Psychic anyway, which hits Articuno's worse defense stat.
If nothing else Articuno does have access to roar, so if Alakazam did go that way it would just end up taking more damage overall (not to mention that even at +2 Articuno still has a chance to break its subs). Roar/Roost/Sub/Ice Beam would do decent in the metagame from what I can see. Of course I haven't had the chance to actually go out and play the metagame yet so I am basing this off of what I have heard, and the damage calcs I have been able to run.

The SubRoost set is even able to mess with some of the physical attackers, being able to outspeed most of them, in particular Honchrow and hitting it with a SE STAB attack, without being OHKO'd by Honchrows strongest move.

If nothing else Articuno does have access to roar, so if Alakazam did go that way it would just end up taking more damage overall (not to mention that even at +2 Articuno still has a chance to break its subs). Roar/Roost/Sub/Ice Beam would do decent in the metagame from what I can see. Of course I haven't had the chance to actually go out and play the metagame yet so I am basing this off of what I have heard, and the damage calcs I have been able to run.

The SubRoost set is even able to mess with some of the physical attackers, being able to outspeed most of them, in particular Honchrow and hitting it with a SE STAB attack, without being OHKO'd by Honchrows strongest move.
It works decently, but is simply outclassed by too many things with MUCH better typing and even better bulk.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
The only reason why Wob would be any good is because WobTrio.

Otherwise it's as balls as it is in any other tier.

I know there's a lot of stuff in the OP, but maybe adding pictures for flavor would be nice :D no rush tho ;)

Regice seems to be better than articuno in my opinion. It has higher special attack, much higher special defense, and on hail teams when dream world comes out, it gets ice body which allows it to survive even better than stallwrein. It also has good coverage in boltbeam, is only 2 x weak to SR, and can boost it's special attack with charge beam, or special defense with amnesia.

Regice also can thunderwave a foe.

Regice seems to be better than articuno in my opinion. It has higher special attack, much higher special defense, and on hail teams when dream world comes out, it gets ice body which allows it to survive even better than stallwrein. It also has good coverage in boltbeam, is only 2 x weak to SR, and can boost it's special attack with charge beam, or special defense with amnesia.

Regice also can thunderwave a foe.
But articuno gets recovery, you cant forget that

Rowan

The professor?
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
You all are probably going to point out why this is some sort of bad idea, but Cryogonal is actually not that bad as a special wall. 135 Sp.Def. means he hardly takes any damage from special attackers. 95 Sp.Atk. means he is not complete taunt-bait with STAB Ice Beam/Blizzard. 105 speed isn't too useful but he can outspeed a couple of threats.
He has quite a few decent support options including; haze, which is useful for all the annoying quiver dances as Cryo has enough special defense to take a hit from them; dual screens; and last, but not least rapid spin. Now you may say he is outclassed by Blastoise and Claydol and in most cases this is probably true. But Cryo has one thing against them: reliable recovery through recover. Which also means he can negate stealth rock damage easily. Levitate grants you a good immunity to Spikes and Toxic Spikes which is also good in a spinner.
Obviously, you will need to pair him up with someone who will take physical hits as base 30 is awful.

Gotta say it but Amoongus has been putting in work.
If he only had his Regenerator ability it would be perfect.

Drops spores for team support, and his Giga drain was doing surprisingly well.

jas61292

used substitute
is a Community Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
You all are probably going to point out why this is some sort of bad idea, but Cryogonal is actually not that bad as a special wall. 135 Sp.Def. means he hardly takes any damage from special attackers. 95 Sp.Atk. means he is not complete taunt-bait with STAB Ice Beam/Blizzard. 105 speed isn't too useful but he can outspeed a couple of threats.
He has quite a few decent support options including; haze, which is useful for all the annoying quiver dances as Cryo has enough special defense to take a hit from them; dual screens; and last, but not least rapid spin. Now you may say he is outclassed by Blastoise and Claydol and in most cases this is probably true. But Cryo has one thing against them: reliable recovery through recover. Which also means he can negate stealth rock damage easily. Levitate grants you a good immunity to Spikes and Toxic Spikes which is also good in a spinner.
Obviously, you will need to pair him up with someone who will take physical hits as base 30 is awful.
I actually really like Cryogonal, it can do so much, and in RU, Ice isn't nearly as bad a defensive type as in higher tiers with more rock and fighting (though it still isn't good). Its main problem is its horrendous Defense stat. Most walls can at least take 1 neutral hit on their bad side, but even at max investment Cryo has trouble doing that. However it has a nice speed stat, so a fast supporter could be viable.

If you're using Cryogonal you're best off just not investing anything in defense at all, because even with max defense investment you're not going to be taking ANYTHING with him.

I'm going to add up pictures and some other potential things I've noticed (Cinccino, Articuno, Regice, Regirock, Hitmonlee, Hitmonchan, Throh, and Sawk) sometime tonight or tomorrow.

Please... Mothim is a perfectly usable Quiver Dance sweeper.
It has higher SAtk, a better movepool, and it gets Tinted Lens through the Dream World. Flying STAB is so much better than Poison STAB, and its immunity to Ground attacks makes it easier to switch in on pokemon. It also can't be trapped by Dugtrio.
Please don't laugh at it because it's Mothim.

polop

Would you look at the time?
is a Contributor Alumnus
Slowking is just slow... but its got decent bulk, a 100 base special attacking stat, regenerator, tricky room, relaible recovery, and NASTY PLOT :D. Considering that so many things in ru are incredibly fast and get screwed over by some twisted dimensions i think slowking could actually run trick room nasty plot and actually kill things.

Uxie has also got the screens (a support threat?) a very bulky cm, and a yawn + uturn combo for non stop action :D. I think both could deserve a mention :D.

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
In my experience facing it Slowking is absolutely nuts as a special wall. It tanks any special attack you care to throw at it, paralyzes your sweeper with Thunder Wave and can recover with Slack Off. Completely shuts down mixed Honchkrow among other things and really just takes things out of commision, espescially in tandem with other stall oriented pokemon.

SubCM Cresselia sets up all over it, which isn't my idea of amazing.
What does SubCM Cress run as its mono-type attack? If it runs Ice beam isn't going to do much without a ridiculous amount of boosts. If it's Psychic then you can simply send out a dark type and wall Cress. If it runs both then it doesn't have moonlight, meaning you can be worn doing throughout the match.

Please... Mothim is a perfectly usable Quiver Dance sweeper.
It has higher SAtk, a better movepool, and it gets Tinted Lens through the Dream World. Flying STAB is so much better than Poison STAB, and its immunity to Ground attacks makes it easier to switch in on pokemon. It also can't be trapped by Dugtrio.
Please don't laugh at it because it's Mothim.
It's competing for a teamslot with Venomoth, and it's just not going to win. I'm sure you can use Mothim effectively, but the extra options it has over Venomoth (Air Slash, stronger U-turn) aren't as significant as what it lacks compared to Venomoth who has Sleep Powder, much higher Speed, and Baton Pass.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)